epilogue

Summer of Some Regret

The previous afternoon at Dolores Park felt like a lifetime ago. The long drive down to UC Davis, coupled with the extended time stuck in a car with his parents, buying school and dorm supplies, and physically hauling all the stuff up to his room had left Mark exhausted, to say the least. Luckily his parents were helpful and not combative, helping him arrange all his things. He'd met his roommate too, a giant by the name of Lucas, who'd seemed loud but sweet. He'd already left to go check out campus though, and that left Mark alone with his parents. 

Someone knocked on the door and Mark and his parents looked around confused. 

"It's Hyuck," the outside of the door said, and Mark's face bloomed into a grin. Even though his parents were there, Mark desperately needed some of Donghyuck's love right now. He bounded over to the door and threw it open, his happy face morphing into shock when he saw two adults flanking his boyfriend. 

"Oh, are you busy? It's just that my parents really wanted to meet you," Donghyuck said. 

"N-no, it's fine. Come in," Mark said, letting the three people into the room. 

Noticing Donghyuck's parents, he refrained from any physical contact, instead opting for a polite smile. "It looks....just like my room," Donghyuck said, and they all shared a chuckle. 

"So you must be the infamous Mark Lee," Donghyuck's mother said, walking closer to look him over. "I've heard so much about you." 

"And you must be his parents," Donghyuck's dad added, and everyone shook everyone's hands. 

"I-I'm afraid we didn't get off to the best start," Mark's mother said shamefully to Donghyuck. 

"It's....it's alright," Donghyuck responded. It wasn't alright in his view, but he didn't know quite what else to say. 

To Mark and Donghyuck's surprise, their parents quickly began a conversation, overcoming their awkwardness. Jokingly, they discussed the love lives of their sons, and Mark's parents, who were at first extremely tense, had begun to loosen up. 

Mark and Donghyuck shared a hand squeeze and a smile. Maybe, just maybe, everything would be alright. 

"," Donghyuck mumbled under his breath, looking down at his phone. 

"What?" Mark asked with concern. 

"Jisung got grounded. The school called his parents because they caught him juuling in the gender neutral bathroom." 

"Seriously? It's only the first day!"

Donghyuck nodded and sighed. Maybe everything wouldn't be alright. But that was okay.