prologue

Summer of Some Regret

There was one thing about Lowell High School, the most prestigious and difficult public school in the San Francisco school district, and that was that it brought the strangest groups of friends together. Between the (at least) twice weekly tests, seven hour school days, and pressure from both teachers and other students, friendships needed to be formed to survive. And that was how the three boys found each other.

Renjun and Mark were finally done with Lowell forever, and Chenle had one more year left to go. They may have had other friends, but they were each other’s truest.

“I can’t believe that it’s the summer before college, and all we’ve done is sit around Mark’s living room and play mario kart,” Renjun groaned.

“I’m not going to college next year!” Chenle cheered in response.

“Excuse me, I’d quite like to spend my entire summer playing Mario Kart, thank you very much,” Mark quipped, speeding ahead of the other two boys to win the round. “And Chenle, we all know.”

Renjun sighed and passed the finish line too, Chenle finishing right behind him.

“We are literally the definition of bland Lowell High School kids. We never get out and have fun. We spent all of high school stressing out about grades and trying to get into a good college. Now that’s over, why don’t we at least try to have fun?”

“You’re acting like all our hard work was pointless. You and I worked hard to go to Lowell, the best high school in the entire district. I worked really hard to be class president, you know, and I’m proud of it,” Mark responded. Renjun put down his controller and Chenle scooted away from the two of them.

“Come on, don’t you think there’s more to life than this?” Renjun asked.

“Are you saying you just want to waste your life away partying?”

“Maybe not my life. But I want to waste this summer away partying; that’s for sure. I want to see what it’s like. Plus, we live in San Francisco for ’s sake! We should explore all that the city has to offer,” Renjun rebutted.

“And anyways, not all Lowell kids are goody two shoes like us,” Mark spoke.

“That’s true,” Chenle finally spoke. “One day I saw Park Jisung from my grade cutting class and juuling in the gender neutral bathroom.

“Mark, we might as well party while we still have friends. You and I both know we’re going to be pretty lonely when we go off to college.”

“Not me!” Chenle interjected, oblivious to their entire conversation.

Renjun sighed, yet again. “My crazy middle school friends invited me to hang out with them today. I haven’t seen them since eighth grade, but they were already wild back then. I think we could have some fun with them.”

Mark smirked. “So... this was an entire ploy to get me to come with you because you were too nervous to go by yourself?” Renjun grimaced but nodded, and Chenle and Mark laughed.

“I was serious about what I said though!” Renjun whined.

“When did they want you to hang out?” Mark asked.

“Today at three-ish at Dolores Park.”

“Let’s go then!” Chenle responded excitedly.

“W-wait.... are you sure?” Renjun asked doubtfully.

“Yes!” Chenle responded, giving Mark’s hesitant expression a sharp glance.

“Y-yeah,” Mark added after a beat.

“Awesome! Let’s go!” Renjun spoke excitedly, now that he had his friend's support.

“I’m honestly really excited to meet them.” Chenle cheered, and Mark just grimaced.