At Her Family Home

Sarang Iyagi

As per the tradition in Joseon, the newlyweds and Sungjae’s family were going to visit Sooyoung’s house as a formal greeting on the third day of marriage.

Sooyoung was walking so fast to Yook family’s main entrance, five steps in front of him for the first time, forgetting about the ethics of a wife she was taught.

When she finally broke into a run, Sungjae had to catch up and held her wrist.

“Don’t run. The servants are staring.”

“Oh” she cleared . “Mianheyo.”

She took a deep breath and tried to walk calmly.

Sungjae smiled at that.

“Are you that excited to go home?”

Sooyoung beamed, “Ne” she answered, nodding several times.

“Jinjja? Aigoo, I’m angry now.”

“Ye? Waeyo? What did I do?”

“This is your home now. Yook family’s home. What are you going to do? Never to return here anymore?”

Sooyoung got flustered and quickly bowed, “Aigoo, I didn’t mean that! We’re just going there for lunch! I will of course return here with you afterwards!”

Sungjae ignored her and walked fast to the front sitting room, while Sooyoung ran to chase him, saying she was sorry a dozen times.

He was still silent when his parents, sister and brother in-law appeared, noticing how his wife glanced at him worriedly from time to time.

Her face when she’s anxious is really cute, he concluded.

The men would ride on their horses, and the women would be carried by the servants on their palanquin.

Taeyeon was really shocked when Sungjae beat her in assisting Sooyoung to her palanquin.

He offered his hand and she stared at it for too long, speechless.

“I was only joking. I’m not angry.”

Sooyoung looked up at him, surprised.

“That—that was really cruel, Sungjaenim.”

He held her elbow and gently pushed her to the direction of her palanquin.

“You look too pretty when you’re anxious, Park Sooyoung-ssi.”

He said it at the same time she sat down, and he closed the palanquin’s curtain right when she started blushing.

*****************************************************

It was indeed a happy family meeting, and Sooyoung was the happiest one among them.

Her sisters Jiyoung and Minji ran and hugged her when she first went out of her palanquin, and had been hooking arms with her ever since, asking her what sounded like a hundred things quickly.

Even during lunch, Sungjae had to give his seat beside Sooyoung to her sisters, as they asked, “Can we sit beside unnie, sobangnim?”, and Sungjae couldn’t say no.

As it was his first time seeing her house, the parents told them to have a tour, along with her sisters after lunch.

It was indeed a beautiful complex. Sungjae felt the house looked a lot more cheerful than his, a lot more comfortable. There were more stone chairs in the garden, a gazebo in every garden and colourful paint all over the house.

“This house is colourful.”

“It’s because Abeoji only have daughters, he said he wanted to make this house as happy as possible.”

Sungjae nodded.

“Did your family hire a talented scholar to write your calligraphies?”

They had passed lots of sitting rooms by then, and Sungjae saw that in every rooms, there were lots Chinese calligraphies, quoting Confucius’s texts or poems.

“Unnie wrote it!!!” Jiyoung and Minji squealed, nearly jumping in excitement.

“Did you?”

Sooyoung nodded.

He quickly entered the sitting room and admired the calligraphies.

It was simply the prettiest writing he had ever seen. All the of brush were strong yet elegant. He liked it very much, especially the ones quoted from poems.

There were eight of her framed calligraphy in that sitting room, and he spent a long time reading them all one by one.

“Sooyoung-ah, I didn’t know you’re this talented!”

Sooyoung blushed at that, as her sisters gaped. It was their first time hearing their sister called as “Sooyoung-ah” by a guy. He had all the rights, but still, they were shocked hearing the intimate tone.

“Didn’t they just meet on their wedding day?” Minji asked.

“Yes. It’s unbelievable. It’s like they’ve always known each other!”

“You need to make me one” Sungjae said, “I’m going to frame it and hang it in my house.”

Because she didn’t reply, he pressed, “Will you make me one?”

“Sure. I’ll make it if you want it.”

“What if I want lots of them?”

“Um........then I’ll make lots of them.”

Sungjae chuckled at that.

“You’re a surprise everyday, Park Sooyoung-ssi” he said, walking out of the sitting room.

“Oh, is that your pavilion?”

“Mine and my sisters.”

“Can I see your room?”

“Of course.”

**********************************************************

It was a beautiful pavilion, with lots of paintings in bright colors, flowers everywhere, and curtains and tablecloths that smelled like wisteria. Her maids probably have bottles of the perfume and sprayed it everywhere.

There were rows and rows of bookshelves in her bedroom with divans that she could use to read. She saw a desk filled with painting tools, a desk to embroider and a gayageum.

“Park Sooyoung, do you read all these books, paint, embroider and played the gayageum?”

“.....ne. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Are you saying you’ve read all these books?” he said, waving his hand.

“Ne.”

“..........I think you read more books than me.”

“It’s fun, Sungjaenim.”

“Jinjja? Books make me sleepy.”

“But why is this shelf empty?”

“That’s for my unread books. I packed them up to your house.”

“I see. I never saw you reading these three days, though.”

“I read before you visit my pavilion yesterday. I put the book down when you arrived.”

Sungjae nodded.

Because he requested it, Sooyoung showed him her paintings. She liked to draw people and flowers. Her parents, her sisters, her maid Taeyeon, and pages and pages of flowers.

The fabrics she embroidered were all framed on the wall as well. They all looked like a painting to Sungjae.

“If there were a female academy, you’d be the top student, I’m sure.”

Sooyoung laughed at that, before sighing.

“I wish there were really an academy for girls. I really envy you for being able to study in Sungkyunkwan Academy. You must be really smart.”

“Aniya, I just did what I have to do.”

“Being able to read your school books would be a tremendous honor.”

“.......shall I let you read my school books?”

“Are you going to let me?”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“Abeoji’s friend said women could change if they read schoolbooks of men.”

“That’s just because he’s afraid you’ll be smarter. I don’t mind having a smart wife.”

“Will you really lend me your schoolbooks?”

“Sure. I’ll ask Baekhyun to deliver it to your pavilion as soon as possible.”

“If I have questions, are you going to answer them?”

“I will, as long as I know the answer.”

Sooyoung had heard from her friends some men could be really possessive of knowledge, and would feel superior with it. But her own husband was different, he’d be the first to admit when he didn’t know something.

Some other friends’ husbands acted as if they were the wives’ sky.

Maybe between us, he’s on the same earth with me. Maybe we can really be good friends in this marriage as well. We might be able to become people who really enjoy talking to each other and spend time together.

“Sooyoung-ssi?”

“I’m sorry, what were you saying?”

“Paint me as well.”

“You? Oh, algesseumnida.”

“Then embroider a handkerchief for me.”

“I will, Sungjae-nim.”

“Then tell me what you can’t do.”

“I—ye?”

“You love to read, your calligraphy seemed to be on mastery level. You embroider well and you paint well. What is it that you can’t do?”

“...........I can’t cook.”

“Ah. Ahrasseo. It’s alright. My maids will always cook for you.”

“Gamsahamnida.”

“Why are you thanking me?”

“Because you said your maid will always—“

“There’s another thing you can’t do. You can’t differentiate when I’m really angry and just joking.”

Sooyoung sighed.

“Why are you sighing? Am I troubling you?”

“Aniyo.”

All along, Jiyoung and Minji were with them. And behind them, Taeyeon and Baekhyun were following. They were starting to feel really bored with the newlyweds being sweet to each other. Of course, the two were oblivious.

Yet it was obvious in the way all Sooyoung’s attention was always on him, and how his tone was really gentle when he talked to her.

*****************************************************

Sungjae’s parents, sister and brother in-law prepared to go home in the early evening. When Sungjae looked at Sooyoung, she was hugging her sisters tight and the three of them were crying together in one corner of the garden.

“Unnie why can’t you sleep with us here tonight? Just one night......” Minji cried, hugging Sooyoung so tight, to the point that she was grabbing at her unnie’s dress.

“I’ll come again next month, alright? My mother in-law said I can visit once a month.”

“But one month is too long!” Minji yelled, nearing a tantrum.

“You girls can come and visit me......”

“Appa will never allow us to go....” Jiyoung replied sadly.

“Ah unnie I don’t care! Go ask Sobangnim so you can stay here and sleep with us just for one night! If he doesn’t say yes, he’s too greedy! He’s stealing you from us forever and ever but we can’t even have unnie for one night!!!”

“Ah, I didn’t know I was a greedy man.”

The three Park girls jumped at that, nearly falling together to the grass.

Sooyoung was too shocked to say anything.

“Jogiyo, Minji-ssi, aren’t you being mean here? I steal your unnie? You have lived with her for as long as you lived. I had her for only three days, and you want to take her away from me?”

“Sungjae-nim, please forgive her. She’s only ten years old, she doesn’t know what she’s talking about.”

Minji was an emotional girl. She looked at Sungjae defiantly, hugging Sooyoung’s legs tight.

“Sobangnim, you’re going to have her forever and ever until you’re old. Why can’t you lend her to us just for one night?”

“What do you mean?”

“They want me to stay the night, and sleep with me, like how we used to do.”

“Jinjja? Minji-ssi, should I let her stay here tonight?”

“You really must, Sobangnim” Minji said solemnly.

“But ottoke, I don’t want to. I’m gonna take her home, right now.”

Minji stomped her foot and burst crying right then and there.

“Aigoo, Minji-yah, don’t cry.”

“Mianhe, you cry too easily. I will let your unnie stay here tonight.”

Minji stopped crying immediately, “Really, Sobangnim?”

“Really, Sungjaenim?”

“Yes, really. I’ll go tell my parents.”

********************************************************

Minji then got really ecstatic and demanded the maids to bring tea and snack to her room, for her and her unniedeul.

They were all in the middle of lounging together on a divan in Minji’s room, listening to Sooyoung tell about what happened since her wedding day, when Sungjae suddenly entered the room.

“Are you going home now, Sungjaenim?”

“Aniya. I’m also staying here for the night.”

The three sisters froze and stared at him.

He laughed at that.

“Wah, you three really have similar expressions. Don’t worry, I won’t disturb you. Have fun with your unnie.”

“Manhi gamsahamnida, Sobangnim!!!”

“But I need to talk to your unnie first” he said, signalling to Sooyoung to come to him.

“What is it, Sungjaenim?” Sooyoung asked, after hurriedly walking to him. 

“I’ll rest and have dinner in your room, would that be alright?”

“Of course. Please consider this your own home.”

“Ahrasseo. Hajiman,”

Sooyoung frowned, “Yes?”

“Just stay with your sisters until they sleep. Once they fell asleep, come to your own room.”

“Eh???”

“Wae, shiro?”

“A—aniyo. I’ll listen, Sungjaenim.”

“Good girl. Have fun with your sisters.”

***********************************************************

Sooyoung had dinner with Jiyoung and Minji, played Jenga together, then talked to them until Minji fell asleep. She fell asleep holding her unnie closely, one of her leg was hooked with Sooyoung’s.

The two older sisters continued to chat, since they knew Minji was a heavy sleeper.

“So......Unnie, have you done it with Sungjae Oppa?”

Sooyoung got flustered, “You’re too young to ask me this thing, you silly girl!”

“What, I’m fifteen, Unnie! Don’t dodge the question, answer me! I’m really curious!”

“Of course we haven’t!”

Jiyoung gasped, “So unnie is still a ?”

“Yah Park Jiyoung! Watch your words!”

Jiyoung cackled, “We’re sisters, Unnie, what would you hide from me, aish! And here I thought he’s smitten by you!”

“What? Who?”

“The goldfish in our pond! Sobangnim, of course, who else?”

“Do you think so?”

“Ne. He’s really nice to unnie and he looks really happy to be with you.”

“I’m glad if that’s what you think.”

“So why hasn’t he done it, then?”

“........he said we’ll get to know each other first, since we met each other for the first time on our wedding day, and it was really awkward.”

“And unnie is alright with this?”

“Geuromyeon! Aigoo, if he insisted to do it on our wedding night, I’d be scared of him. I might even hate him.”

“I see, I see. Oh well, I hope you both will always be a good couple. And I will use you both to inspire me to write my next book.”

It was Sooyoung’s turn to cackle. “Park Jiyoung, you’re crazy!”

This Park Jiyoung was secretly a romance writer. Although she was only fifteen and never had a relationship, she had read extensively and heard of gossips from her unnie’s friend, that inspired her to write half a dozen books of romance.

She used a man’s name as her penname, and secretly sold her books in one of the bookshops at the market. She paid the bookshop’s employees to copy her books from her pocket money (which was a lot) and got a lot more in return.

Her romance books were a hit!

They talked for another hour, until Jiyoung finally fell asleep as well.

Once her sisters both slept, Sooyoung carefully got up and went to her own bedroom. She was already in her under dress.

She fully expected for Sungjae to be sleeping already, but he hadn’t. He was reading a book in bed.

“Sungjaenim, you’re still awake?”

“Annyeong. Have your sisters slept?”

“Ye, they have. Have you had dinner?”

“Ne. Did you have fun?”

“Yes. I’m really happy.”

Seeing her smiled, Sungjae smiled with her.

Sooyoung then climbed the bed, and went to the usual right side.

“Why aren’t you asleep yet? It’s midnight already.”

“I’m reading this romance book by Park Hyung Sik. It’s really interesting.”

Sooyoung gulped. Jiyoung wrote that! But.....he wouldn’t be able to guess, right?

“Ah, do you think so? I l—like that book as well.”

“........why are you stuttering? There’s nothing at the end, right?”

“Wh—what? Um—“

Sungjae flipped to the last chapter of the book and true to his suspicion, the last chapter was an one.

“Aigoo. Yah, Park Sooyoung. You read these kinds of books?”

“I—“

I hate you Park Jiyoung! I don’t know how you manage to write hot scenes without ever doing it in real life, but now I hate you so much for that!!!

“Did you like it?”

“Aniyo.”

“You’re blushing so hard” Sungjae laughed, “Aigoo, this wife of mine read an story!”

“It’s just—it’s just a story! And it’s only at the last chapter!”

“But you read it, right?”

“N—ne.”

“Were you preparing for married life?”

Sooyoung shut her eyes and facepalmed in embarrassment.

“Please spare me. It’s just a story. Let’s stop talking about this.”

“............should we practice the last chapter?”

Sooyoung scooted to the wall, while her face was getting pale.

“Wae, why did you read it but you don’t want to do it with your husband?”

Sooyoung couldn’t find the words to reply him.

“..........I’m just kidding. You look like your soul has left you.”

She sighed in relief and wiped her cold-sweat.

“I do want to do something, though.”

“Wh—what is it? Is it—going to sleep, maybe?” she asked hopefully.

“Aniya. It’s in this book. The middle chapter, not the end.”

“.......what is it?”

“Can I loosen your hair?”

Girls in that era usually had long hair that reached their waist, and they always slept with their hair braided. It’s the same with Sooyoung.

“No. I’d wake up with messy hair in the morning if you do that.”

“But I want to see your hair down.”

“All of a sudden?”

“The writer in this novel said girls are the prettiest with their hair down.”

“Aniya. I don’t look pretty with my hair down. I look like a ghost.”

“No, you don’t.”

“How can you know? You haven’t seen it.”

“That’s why, show me now. Let me decide you look like a ghost or you look pretty.”

Sooyoung hated it, how she dug her own grave that way.

“I haven’t washed my hair! It will smell bad!”

“Liar. I know Taeyeon washed your hair this morning.”

Ottoke???

Sooyoung was screaming inside, but she ran out of arguments.

Sungjae put the book down and reached for her braided hair.

Without saying anything, he reached for the tie, and untied it.

Carefully, he loosened the braid, from the bottom, until the top, under her ear.

Her hair was black and shining, despite the dim lighting of the lanterns in her room.

Sungjae pushed her hair to her back, then he scooped two handfuls, smoothening them down her shoulders.

When he’s done, he reached for her chin and made her looked at him.

“The author of this book wasn’t lying. Girls really look the prettiest with their hair down.”

Sooyoung sat very still, barely breathing.

“You must always sleep like this from now on, and it always has to be me who’ll loosen your hair.”

“I really will wake up with a messy hair in the morning. I’ll tie it again.”

“Andwae. Let it be. You’re really beautiful like this.”

Sooyoung couldn’t stand the eye contact and looked away.

Sungjae reached the ends of her hair, combing it gently with his fingers.

“Am I not a really good husband, today? Letting you stay the night in your old house?”

“N—ne. Gamsa-hamnida.”

Sooyoung didn’t know what to do. She wanted to jump off the bed and run away, but she couldn’t.

“Are you really grateful?”

“Ne. Jeongmal gamsahamnida.”

“Are you really, really grateful, Sooyoung-ah?”

“Yes” she replied with a strained tone.

“Then stay still. Don’t move.”

Sungjae then kissed her forehead. Next her nose, and after that, both her cheeks.

“I really love your perfume” he confessed.

“I think even when I’m not with you, I’ll feel uncomfortable when I can’t smell wisteria around me.”

He then pulled her into his arms, and then lied down, holding her close.

He sighed contentedly.

He was sure he could sleep by then, because she was there already.

When he looked at her and their eyes locked, her eyes widened.

“You’re blushing so hard again, Sooyoung-ah. Aigoo, kiyopta!”

She couldn’t stand it and turned around, giving him her back and making him chuckled.

“Don’t move away” he warned, slipping his arms around her waist and backhugging her.

Her body was so tense, until he caressed her arm to soothe her.

“Calm down, I just want to hold you. I can, right? Am I not your husband?”

She tried to stop feeling so self-conscious, but couldn’t when Sungjae continued speaking.

“Your hair smells so good......tell me, do you bathe in your wisteria perfume?”

She couldn’t say anything.

“Answer me.”

“I really like it, so Taeyeon unnie always put it in my bathing water and the water to wash my hair.”

“I see.”

At that moment, Sungjae ran his hand along her arm, past her elbow, and touched her hand.

“We have to go home after breakfast tomorrow, ahrasseo?”

“Ne.”

“Will you cry tomorrow?”

“I’ll try my best not to.”

“Even if you cry, it’s alright.”

“Really?”

“Ne.”

Sungjae felt sleepy and after kissing her shoulder, he said, “It’s been a long day. Let’s sleep.”

“Ne. Good night Sungjaenim.”

“Good night, Sooyoung-ah.”

He felt happy holding her, and Sooyoung’s heartbeat finally lowered down.

It was scary at first, but she gradually felt comfortable and safe in his arms.

Soon after, the young newlyweds fell asleep.

********************************************************

Author’s Note:

It’s weekend! Weekend means more writing time.

Sungjoy is really the cure for my anger against what’s happening in Kpop right now.

I’m also starting to watch Jipsabu. It’s a really good show. I love it very much.

This story might cause diabetes to me and to you, lol. I cringe from time to time as I type, but it fits them so nevermind.

Thank you for reading this. Please comment if you like it!