The Big Game

Sarang Iyagi

Would the madam help another slave?

That afternoon, Sooyoung, Taeyeon and Dahyun sat together in Sooyoung’s sitting room. Sooyoung was studying Sungjae’s philosophy books from Sungkyunkwan, writing her own notes and thoughts on paper. Taeyeon was writing down the detailed menu and the servants log duties for the household. Yook Family was a big house with so many servants. Madam Im had given Sooyoung most of the house management duties and she had opted more and more to do her hobby: tailoring hanbok.

Dahyun was polishing a huge box of Sooyoung’s jewels with a silk cloth, trying to be as quiet as possible since the baby Jae Young was fast asleep in a crib beside her.

However, her mind went back again and again to her friend, Park Jihyo, who said she’d rather kill herself than continue working for her abuser. She also begged Dahyun to ask Sooyoung to save her.

It was hard for a slave.

You had nowhere to go. And your owner could kill you without anyone batting an eyelash, since a master had the rights for the slave’s life. You wouldn’t be able to get free, unless the master let you go willingly.

In Park Jihyo’s case, she was bought by a brute. A butcher who lived alone and used her not only to clean his house and cook his meals, but also regularly her. As if that wasn’t enough, the butcher was also a drunkard, who often beat Jihyo when he was drunk.

Dahyun understood Jihyo’s wish to kill herself. Life could feel really bleak and hopeless if you were a slave.

Would Madam Park Sooyoung be willing to save Jihyo like how she saved Dahyun?

Would Dahyun’s position as her maid be endangered if she asked for help?

By that time, Dahyun loved Sooyoung so much, that she couldn’t see herself working with anyone else but her.

In the end, what she could remember was Jihyo’s bruised and desperate, crying face.

Her heart couldn’t help but wanting to try.

“Samonim?”

Sooyoung stopped writing and looked up.

“Would you save someone else, who desperately need it, like you saved myself?”

“............is there someone else who needs help?”

“I met a friend as we went to the market this morning. She’s Park Jihyo. A friend who worked with a master on the same road as Madam Kim Sowon. She’s owned by a butcher.....who often ......and beat her.......she begged for Samonim to save her. She’s willing to be a chamber pot maid for the rest of her life here if you’re willing to—“

“Yah, don’t trouble uri samonim with you and your friend’s problem!” Taeyeon scolded.

“But she—I believe she’s so desperate, Samonim. If you won’t save her, she said she’d kill herself tomorrow!”

Sooyoung stood up so abruptly until her papers, books and bottle of ink toppled to the floor.

“Show me the way, I’ll buy her.”

“Samonim! You don’t have to concern yourself with their problems!”

“Gamsahamnida, Samonim, you are indeed an angel sent by God!”

The loud noises made Jae Young woke up. He then wailed at the ruckus.

“See, you woke up the baby!”

“Mianhamnida!” Dahyun said regrettably, quickly holding Jae Young and trying to console him.

Sooyoung took out the necklace of keys from the chain around her neck, the one that was usually hidden under her clothes. It was the key to Sungjae’s treasury room.

Without a word, she went there and took a bag of money. It was full of coins that were deemed really valuable in Joseon era.

“Lead the way. I’m going to save her from her tormentor” she said to Dahyun.

“Samonim! Think about this first! You can’t rush into this!” Taeyeon begged.

“A woman is beaten and regularly. What do you want me to do? Stay silent?”

“It is not your problem, Samonim!”

“SHE’S A WOMAN AND I AM A WOMAN!!! HOW CAN THAT NOT BE MY PROBLEM???”

“Samonim, jebalyo. You don’t even know her!!!”

“It doesn’t matter. I want to buy her, and my decision is final. Taeyeon unnie, you don’t need to come with me if you disagree with my actions.”

“My place is by your side” Taeyeon sighed.

If Sungjae were there, he might have stopped her. But he’s at his office. He didn’t know what was happening.

Sooyoung marched unstoppably outside, asking her guards to accompany her to go to the place led by Dahyun.

When they arrived at the road where Sowon lived, Taeyeon stopped Sooyoung again. “Wait, at least please let me ask around. I can’t let you cause a scene without checking whether what Dahyun said was true or not.”

Sooyoung agreed to that, deciding to wait at a tea shop. The owner and waiters were all shocked to see such an expensive clothed lady with her guards and a maid wanting to drink tea there.

Taeyeon found the butcher’s shop easily. She then proceeded to ask the neighbours, a ramyeon shop and a makgeoli shop, whether it was true that the butcher owned a slave named Park Jihyo, and whether they knew if the slave was treated well or not.

It took a lot of thinking and communicating skills to appear that she was just casually asking those questions. She asked those to the ahjussis who worked in the neighbouring shops.

She then heard that yes, it was true a Park Jihyo worked for the butcher. She was rarely ever seen without bruises on her face. She always walked funny as well, as if she was daily. This was said while the ahjussis were laughing and sneering.

Taeyeon felt like throwing them with rocks, but she held her emotions and returned to Sooyoung.

Hearing Taeyeon’s report, Sooyoung became even more determined to save Park Jihyo.

*********************************************************

The butcher’s shop was closed already, since it was passed lunch time. When Sooyoung, her maids and her guards entered the shop, Jihyo was wiping the table where the owner usually put the chopped meat clean.

In one look, Sooyoung confirmed everything she heard must be true. Jihyo walked with difficulty and her face was bruised, combined with a bad cut at the edge of her lips.

“Call your master” Sooyoung said, “I’d like to purchase you.”

“He’s napping, Samonim. I’ll wake him up” she informed, beaming.

When she smiled like that, she’s pretty. Too bad life had treated her so badly that she rarely did that.

“WHO DARED DISTURB ME???” a bellow could be heard from inside the house when Jihyo tried to wake up her master.

“A Madam Park Sooyoung asked to see you, Juin-nim.”

“I know no Park Sooyoung.”

“She looks important. I don’t think it’s good to keep her waiting.”

In Joseon, people really respect the ranking of wealth and nobility. It was seen as wrong to not follow the riches and the nobles. Sooyoung was one of the richest lady in the kingdom, and no matter how barbaric the butcher was, he couldn’t and wouldn’t ignore her.

Grudgingly, he got up from bed and entered his shop.

He was indeed shocked to see Sooyoung, who was dressed according to her rank, with a hanbok made from meters of expensive silk and jewels that matched the colors of her dress. She was also accompanied by two maids and six guards.

The butcher couldn’t see why she had to be there herself and not just send her servant.

He cleared his throat, and after bowing, said, “The meat are not ready now, Madam. I start selling the fresh ones at 5 AM tomorrow morning.”

Sooyoung turned to Taeyeon and she moved forward, putting a bag of coins on the wooden table.

“I’m not here to buy your meat. I’m here to buy your slave, Park Jihyo.”

The butcher blinked and frowned.

“But—why?”

“I just need one more maid.”

“.................mianhamnida, she’s not for sale.”

Another guard put a second bag of coins on Taeyeon’s hands and she, in turn, put them on the table.

“I’m willing to pay more for her” Sooyoung announced.

“She’s not for sale.”

“Name your price” Sooyoung insisted.

“This is strange. Why would a lady like you insist to have her? Who are you?”

“She’s Madam Park, the wife of Yook Sungjae.”

Everyone in the kingdom knew Yook family. They’re the biggest seller of rice. Everyone who had money and liked to eat even slightly well would buy from Yook family shop.

“Then you can buy a hundred maids like her. Go to the slave market, Madam. Don’t take my one and only slave.”

Taeyeon put another bag of coins.

“You can buy another one with the money” Taeyeon suggested.

“And treat her better.”

“I beg your pardon???”

“You have abused your maid. I want to free her from pain.”

“How dare you mess with my life???”

“Watch your mouth!!!”

“I’M NOT SELLING HER!!!”

“Very well. I tried to do it properly, but you refused. The only way left is by force, then.”

Six of her guards unsheathed their swords and aimed them at the butcher.

“I’m taking your maid” Sooyoung announced.

Jihyo was ready at the corner, carrying her meagre belongings in a tied cloth.

“YOU CAN’T DO THIS!!! YAH, YOU !!! COME BACK!!!”

Sooyoung ignored them and walked back to her palanquin.

The butcher ran after her with his blade.

A guard kicked the blade off of his hand then kicked him to the ground.

“Stop being a nuisance, or I’ll cut your hand” the guard warned.

The butcher was a coward, of course, and only screamed and cursed as Sooyoung and her company left with Ji Hyo.

******************************************************

The news that Madam Park from Yook Family would save abused female slaves spread really fast, and more requests of help were made.

Sooyoung had the money to buy a lot more slaves. She also had the heart to wish for safety for all of them.

By the end of that month, she would continue saving slaves until it reached ten slaves.

Sungjae didn’t realize this. There were always a lot of servants at his house. So he knew it from Changsub, who one day asked that while they were having lunch together.

“Has your wife always wanted to be a female warrior?”

“What? What do you mean?”

“Don’t you know? She’s been buying ten abused female slaves this month.”

Sungjae looked stunned. “She did?”

“Didn’t she tell you?”

“No, she hasn’t. Abused female slaves, you said?”

“Ne. She bought the female slaves who were abused by their owners. Beaten, or overworked. The gossip is all over the city.”

“.........I don’t gossip. I know gossips from you all.”

“You really have an interesting wife.”

“Be careful though” Minhyuk warned, “Some people might hate that.”

“Why would that be?”

“She elevated the standards of treating slaves. If she continues buying abused slaves, slaves would rebel if they were treated inhumanly. Some people would hate that to happen.”

“Then those people should learn to treat their servants better.”

“Sungjae-yah, we all know that. But people might hold grudges. Just be sure you always have enough guards guarding your wife wherever she goes.”

“I have. And she should always bring them if she knows what’s best for her.”

*************************************************

That night, after dinner, as they got ready for bed, Sungjae asked, “I heard you’ve been buying abused female slaves this month.”

Sooyoung was reading a new letter from Princess Soojung. She looked to her husband when she heard that.

“Ye, I have.”

“And you didn’t feel like telling me?”

“...........I didn’t think it was something you need to know.”

Sungjae sighed.

“Yah, I got surprised hearing it from my friends. People are talking about you.”

“In a good way or a bad way?”

“Both. Some admire you, but some hate you for it.”

“Well, I don’t care for them. I care in saving those poor girls.”

“I know. It’s so like you to do it.”

“I replaced the money with my allowance from my father.”

“I’m not concerned about the money, Sooyoung-ah. We know you can buy five thousand slaves if you want. But their owners might hold grudges. You need to be careful with them. Always bring at least six guards when you go out, ahrasseo?”

“Ye, Sungjaenim.”

“Stop reading that letter. Your husband is in bed with you.”

“My husband was reading his own book as well.”

Sungjae closed the book, “Not anymore.”

He reached for her braid and untied it.

“Speaking of slaves, shall we play master and slave tonight?”

Sooyoung blinked.

“What kind of game is that?”

“You know. Satisfy your master game.”

“I’ve never heard of something like that.”

“I read it in a book.”

“Sungjaenim. Where did you get your supply of books?”

“From a very respectable book store. Shall we try it?”

“Like I said, I don’t know how to do it.”

His eyes gleamed like a naughty fox, as he untied her top, “I’ll teach you how.”

************************************************

Princess Soojung heard about the gossip, of a Madam Park who saved abused female slaves. She was more or less the talk of the town. The princess admired Sooyoung a lot, and decided letters were not enough, she wanted to meet her again.

Sooyoung went to the palace with mixed feelings. She really liked the princess, but she knew that being invited to the palace would officially make certain people jealous of her. Beside her four friends, there were other ladies. They were all similar in their background, they were all part of the richest elites in Joseon in their generation. These ladies held a monthly gathering and she was always invited with her four friends, but they didn’t like these rich ladies.

Their gatherings were always about somebody’s latest piece of custom-made jewels, tips on how to ensnare their husbands in bed and forever talking about each other although they showed they liked each other in public.

As she went to the Imperial Palace, the thought that those ladies would be envious and jealous filled her heart. She never really cared about what they thought, yet she was aware that their jealousy could lead to dire circumstances.

However, when the Princess welcomed her with such enthusiasm, she forgot about her worries. Princess Soojung brought her to her personal library, built in the form of a tower, and consisted of five stories full of books, books and books.

“Am I in heaven?” Sooyoung asked, as she stood at the ground floor, staring up at the walls full of books, as if the tower itself was built by books.

“That’s what I think whenever I’m here. The Crown Prince built this tower for me, as a gift for giving him a son.”

“This has to be the best gift in the world.”

“Your husband is as good as mine, don’t you think? He allows you to study with his books from Sungkyunkwan.”

“You are right” Sooyoung smiled, before she set down in front of a table full of delicious snacks and tea.

“It’s great to meet my most amazing heroine again.”

“Excuse me? You’re exaggerating.”

“Buying abused female slaves from their cruel owner. It’s like you come straight out from a story book.”

“I can’t stay quiet and do nothing. I can’t bear or ignore the fact that a helpless woman is constantly being hurt.”

The princess held her hands again.

“May we have more women like you in the future.”

Together they then chat more about themselves, their families and their husband’s families.

“I just wish there’s a medicine to stop worrying about your husband.”

“The Crown Prince? Why? What’s wrong Hwangtejabi?”

“It’s the usual plot. One that has been as old as there ever was a kingdom. The fight of who would be the next emperor.”

The beautiful princess’s voice lowered down. She told Sooyoung that they were safe in her tower. She was forever guarded with at least twenty five guards, yet she still spoke carefully.

Sooyoung was too scared to say anything, so she stayed quiet.

“I live with daily fear. I’m always worried someone he thought is a trusted person would poison him, or that he’d be killed when he’s unaware.”

The princess saw that Sooyoung was getting paler and paler.

“I’m sorry for shocking you. I shouldn’t have told you that. I just—I have no one to talk to and—“

“I’m scared, but you can tell me if it’ll help make you feel better.”

A tear fell on the princess’s cheek, and more followed.

She reached for Sooyoung’s hands again, and didn’t let go this time.

*******************************************************

Sungjae had hired two spies from the Bichun tribe to follow Kim Taehyung for a month by then. They were indeed expensive. Sungjae could afford the expenses though. So far, one of them disguised himself as a servant in Kim family’s house, and the other followed him whenever he’s outside.

They gave their reports to Sungjae weekly, disguising themselves as merchants and meeting him at his house. For three weeks, the reports he got was of Kim Taehyung’s friends: fellow wealthy merchants and sons of ministers, all with questionable morals and behaviour. He met with the Left Minister, his uncle, weekly. But for three consecutive weeks as well, none of the spies could hear what they were talking about, since the ministers’ guards guided his house obsessively.

Finally, though, this week, the spies who tagged Kim Taehyung when he’s outside, Park Jaehyung, managed to listen to his conversation with the minister by kidnapping a guard from the minister’s house and wearing his uniform.

He could stand really close and heard the entire conversation of the two of them from the previous night.

What Sungjae heard shocked him.

He was in his rice shop’s office and Park Jaehyung just finished telling him the news.

“.............why haven’t I thought about this before? Or Minhyuk Hyung had his suspicions, but he wants me to find the evidence?” Sungjae asked himself.

“Kim Taehyung’s uncle is the Left Minister” Sungjae said out loud, more to himself than to the spy.

“The Left Minister’s sister is the emperor’s concubine.”

“Ye” Park Jaehyung corrected.

“The concubine has a son, making him the Left Minister’s nephew.”

“Ye.”

“And you said The Left Minister and Kim Taehyung talked about the Crown Prince’s detailed schedule for the next month and when the security around him would be the least strong?”

“You’re right.”

“Yah..........The Left Minister and Kim Taehyung is trying to kill the Crown Prince!”

“Precisely.”

Sungjae sat silently for a long time after his spy returned to his post.

Finally, he got up and visited his hyung, Minhyuk, at Sungkyunkwan University.

***********************************************************

Minhyuk just finished teaching his students, and Sungjae was then brought to his private study in the academy.

Sungjae was too afraid to say it out loud, so he wrote on a piece of paper.

Surprised, Minhyuk waited until Sungjae finished.

On the paper he wrote, “Hyung, my spy told me that The Left Minister and Kim Taehyung are planning to assassinate the Crown Prince.”

Minhyuk wrote back, “I know. My father told me. But he has no proof.”

Sungjae wrote again, “Is the Crown Prince going to be alright?”

“I don’t know. I hope so. But it seems like he doesn’t have enough allies in the palace. Or it’s just me who doesn’t know his entire capabilities.”

“How do we know he will be alright?”

Minhyuk stared at Sungjae, then wrote again, “He could invite us to the palace, so we can ask him about this.”

Sungjae nodded at that, as Minhyuk burnt the paper they used with a candle, until there was nothing left but the ashes.

*******************************************************

When Sungjae arrived at Sooyoung’s pavilion, it was already dinner time, but Sooyoung wasn’t home yet. It was the first time that ever happened since they were married, and he felt hollow inside, because he just had a shock. Seeing her would make him felt better.

A guard told him that Madam Park hadn’t come home ever since she went to the palace to have tea with Princess Soojung.

Nothing would happen to her, right?

But Sungjae dismissed the thought. She wouldn’t be hurt. Not when she’s only the crown prince’s wife friend.

Right?

As he walked to the sitting room, he heard his son crying.

He then saw Dahyun carrying his son back and forth in front of Sooyoung’s room.

When Dahyun saw him, she bowed low.

“What’s wrong with my son?” Sungjae asked.

“He’s just hungry, Master. And I guess he’s missing Madam Park as well.”

“I see. Bring him to me.”

Dahyun bowed again and brought Jae Young to Sungjae.

Sungjae took one look at his baby and sighed.

“Aigoo, Adeul. Why did you cry until your face is all red, tsk, tsk, tsk.”

He then held him tight and carried him to Sooyoung’s sitting room.

Jae Young knew who was holding him and his cries subsided. He still looked anxious though, hiccupping as well.

Sungjae sat on a chair and looked at the baby.

He never knew he liked children until he had his own.

Jae Young was a really fair and chubby baby, with expressive eyes and a really good temper. Sungjae never heard him crying that much until earlier, to be honest.

He wiped the baby’s tears from his small cheeks.

“Are you hungry? Omma is outside.....she’ll be home soon, though.”

Jae Young grumbled and flailed his hands.

He wore a mini hanbok and was wrapped in a blanket.

“If I give you water would you feel better?”

Jae Young mumbled something and Sungjae got up to pour water from a porcelain jug and took it with a spoon, feeding it to his son.

Jae Young drank it, but he cried afterwards, knowing it’s not his mother’s milk.

“I’m sorry, Adeul. Be patient, she’ll be here soon.”

At that precise moment, he heard someone running, along with shouts of “Samonim, stop running, you’ll fall and hurt yourself!”

Sooyoung appeared at the doors, breathless.

“Is he alright?”

“Ne. He’s just hungry and missing you.”

Sooyoung hurried and took Jae Young from Sungjae.

“Adeul, I’m sorry for leaving you for so long! I miss you too!” Sooyoung said, kissing Jae Young’s cheeks.

“Sungjaenim, help me undress, please.”

Sungjae turned to the doors and saw that they were closed again, before he reached out and undo the ribbon of her blouse.

“You haven’t had dinner, though.”

“It doesn’t matter. My son is starving. Be quick, please.”

His fingers ed her blouse then opened it, then untying her under dress, and her s cover, before freeing them, and Sooyoung brought Jae Young to her right one.

The baby fed quickly, as Sooyoung sighed and sat down in relief.

“Mianheyo for coming home so late. The princess detained me.”

“That’s alright. It’s not your fault.”

Sungjae looked down at his wife and son, and for a second, he questioned what would happen to them, if the Left Minister’s nephew became the emperor in the future.

Sooyoung saw his expression and asked, “What’s wrong?”

“I just heard something bad today. Really bad.”

“Jeongmalyo? What was it?”

“The Left Minister and Kim Taehyung are plotting to kill the Crown Prince” he whispered.

“I heard the same thing from Princess Soojung.”

“It’s really horrible.”

“I agree.”

“We’ll try to stop it, to the best of our abilities.”

Sooyoung looked up to him.

“There will be consequences, Sungjaenim.”

“He’d live in a dark world, Sooyoung-ah, if a bad man becomes the next emperor” he said, caressing Jae Young’s cheek.

“You have no politic power, Sungjaenim. Your family has never been interested in politic.”

“That’s true. We have no title in the government. But the rumours are true, Sooyoung-ah. The only family richer than mine is the imperial family. We have enough money to stop a coup, or a war. Or an assassination plot.”

“.............you can’t stand silent, aren’t you?”

“Like you can’t stay silent when a helpless woman is abused, I also can’t stay silent when people try to kill a promising leader of this nation.”

“Just be careful, please.”

“I will.”

*************************************************

“Yook Sungjae’s wife went to Princess Soojung’s library tower today” Kim Taehyung said. “And the Crown Prince suddenly invited Yook Sungjae and all his friends to the palace tomorrow. That couple definitely knows how to play in the big game.”

“What does Park Sooyoung talk about with the princess?” Kim Sowon asked. They were both in Kim Taehyung’s bed, still sweating after an .

“I have no idea. That princess has loyal guards and maids. I can’t put anyone new into her palace and no one to buy either from the current servants.”

“How about for the crown prince’s lunch tomorrow? Do you have a spy in his palace?”

“Not yet. I’m trying to find someone to bribe there, but he has loyal guards and servants as well, who have always been with him since he was a child.”

“Keep trying” Sowon smiled quickly, pressing her onto Kim Taehyung’s arm. “There must be someone who wavers, if you’re willing to pay high enough.”

“Right. Money always works in the end.”

“Some people are willing to do a lot of things for money” Sowon purred, starting to massage Taehyung’s length. “Are you up for another ride, My Lord? You can call me Park Sooyoung all you want this time.”

Kim Taehyung smirked, “My wife is always so angry when I do that.”

“I don’t mind. It even turns me on” Sowon assured.

With that, she climbed her master’s waist and began pleasuring him.

*******************************************************

Author’s Note:

I consider this story entering its second season, with the first one ending with Sungjae and Sooyoung’s first lovemaking.

The plot is changing from romance to more drama and angst, and I hope you’re up for the journey.

I’ve been distracted with Lee Jongsuk dramas lately, but I’m glad I could still update this.

Something that I’d like to address is some reader’s suspicion of Dahyun and Sungjae, of them having an affair or Dahyun trying to seduce Sungjae or the other way around.

It upset me a lot.

Not all female characters here are trying to sleep with Sungjae, alright? It’s not that kind of story.

There are other stories then just who will be with who, really.

I created Dahyun to make my readers sympathize with her character and for some, apparently it went entirely wrong, so unlike what I wish you to see. I got so annoyed that I stopped writing this fic for some time.

Dahyun idolizes Sooyoung. The last thing she’d do is take her husband, ok?

Alright. I’m done ranting.

I hope you like this update, and see you on the next one.

***************************************************