Explosions

Sarang Iyagi

WARNING: ANGST AHEAD. BEWARE. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

 

 

Sungjae was in a thunderous mood all day. He angrily told his friends what happened. They were all utterly bewildered because there was a gisaeng who had so much nerve, trying to snatch him and using whatever it took.

He had to drink cups and cups of tea to calm down and resumed his work for the latter part of the day.

However, when he met his wife in the evening, guilt crept over him.

Seeing Sooyoung, who was walking slower with her pregnancy, smiling cheerfully to greet him, he really felt ashamed. He wished she’d never known that a gisaeng had trapped him. He was disgusted instead of tempted, but he wished she'd never heard of it.

He hugged her for a long time in bed, grateful that he’d never betray her. Still, it terrified him.

“Sungjaenim, mianhada, can you not--? It’s really hot tonight.”

It was indeed the middle of summer, and Sooyoung felt the heat was unbearable, even in the evening.

She’s sweating all over, even her jeogori was already wet.

She sat up and felt for her fan, but couldn’t find it.

“Ah, I left it in my sitting room” she sighed.

“What is it? What are you looking for?”

“My fan. It’s so hot.”

“Oh. I’ll take it for you.”

“Andwaeyo. It’s alright. Do you bring your fan?”

They both carried a folded fan everyday during the summer. A painting of cherry blossoms decorated her fan, and he had a new one, a present from her. He had requested her to use her skills in calligraphy to write a quote for him on a new folded paper fan. He loved it a lot and had been carrying it everywhere that summer.

“........... I forgot. It’s probably in my office.”

“Oh. I guess you can’t help it, then. I’ll just open the windows.”

“Let me do it.”

Sungjae stood up and opened several windows.

“Is it better?”

“Not really.”

She did look like she couldn’t stand it. Her jeogori (top/shirt) was wet on her back. It was a windless night as well, so opening the windows didn't really help. 

“You need to change, Sooyoung. You’ll catch a cold if you keep wearing that jeogori.”

Sooyoung had got up from the bed and was fanning herself with her hand. Her hair was matted on her forehead with sweat.

“I guess so. Do you mind calling Taeyeon unnie for me?”

“Gwaenchana. I’ll take the dress.”

“But—“

Without giving her more chance to stop him, he walked to the other side of the room, passed the partitions, and opened her carved cabinets.

He found her bathing robe and carried it to her.

“That’s not an under dress.”

“It’s silk. Just take off your layers and wear this.”

She looked at him as if he spoke in a language she couldn’t understand.

“You need to sleep. Change into this. I don’t want you to get headaches again.”

“Oh.....”

She’s really embarrassed, actually. The silk bathrobe would display her body, and it had been a few months since Sungjae saw her without any clothes. Wearing the silk bathrobe would feel like she’s lying beside him. And she’s pregnant! That’s really indecent.

She felt really hot in her under dress. If she could, she’d bathe. But it’s impossible to bathe without her maid.

“Algesseumnida. I do feel really uncomfortable. Please call my maid so I can change.”

“Don’t think too much. I’ll help you change.”

“You can’t, Sungjaenim. That’s improper!”

“Am I not your husband?”

“You are, but—“

“I’ve seen all of you. That’s why you’re expecting our first child. Stop protesting and just let me help you take off your clothes.”

He reached out for her but she stepped away very quickly, and nearly tripped on her own dress.

Sungjae caught her before she fell.

Both relieved, he scolded her, “Be careful. You’d hurt yourself. Stay still.”

She didn’t dare to protest again as he untied the ribbon of her jeogori and slid it down her shoulder.

It’s been months since she faced him that way and she could feel the heat of embarrassment on her cheeks.

His fingers worked fast, untying the tie of her dress, her s cover and her silk, long white pants.

Before long, she stood in front of him only in her last underwear.

He hadn’t seen her body for months as well. She’s fuller in all the right places, and his heart was touched seeing the big bump she’s carrying.

For a few seconds, his eyes roamed around, until she covered her s with her arms.

He cleared .

“You’re sweating all over. I’ll wipe you with a wet towel.”

He returned with a basin of water and cloths that Taeyeon usually used to bathe Sooyoung.

“Please, don’t. You’re my husband, not my maid.”

“Be quiet and stand still” he ordered, dipping the cloth to the water and began wiping her back.

It felt heavenly, of course. She finally felt cool again. She wanted to hiss at the coldness, but bit her lip.

He wiped all over her back, then legs, dipping the cloth several times in the water and squeezing it.

They said nothing as he wiped her front. First her arms, then her neck, down to her s, full belly, and her legs.

Once he’s done, he dried her with a bigger cloth, then helped her wore the silk bathrobe.

“There. Try to sleep now.”

When he returned to bed again after putting away the basin and wet cloths, she reached for his hand and kissed it.

“Manhi gamsahamnida.”

He smiled. “Cheonmane. Sleep well, Sooyoung-ah.”

She smiled back, then slept very soon after that.

When Sungjae held her hand, she didn’t wake up to complain it was too hot.

*****************************************************

The scorn of a rejected woman could burn the whole country.

Or at least created a lot of damage.

Kim Sowon still loved Yook Sungjae.

She was sure it was love, for she had never felt that way with her other clients. Not that she and Sungjae ever had an , but he was indeed her client, once, though just to see her “performing”.

Her obsession escalated after their encounter in that restaurant. She was sure it wasn’t because Sungjae didn’t really want her. She just hadn’t used the right way. Yet.

With her escalating obsession, her hatred towards Sooyoung became a seething, searing intensity.

She never had Yook Sungjae. Yet. But it didn’t mean she couldn’t make Park Sooyoung thought otherwise.

She spread the rumor that she was Yook Sungjae’s mistress.

That he visited her often in lunch times, and that he showered her with gifts.

It didn’t matter how no one saw them together.

All it took was one or two guards in the gisaeng house who remembered that Sungjae once went there. The slave that “performed” with her when Sungjae was watching also remembered him when he heard Sungjae’s description.

Then the rumour spread like wildfire.

Actually, it wasn’t anything uncommon if a wealthy merchant took a mistress, especially when his wife was pregnant.

However, it became sensational because he was unbelievably rich. The people of Hanyang had long speculated that Sungjae was as rich as Joseon’s crown prince. Moreover, he had been such a good boy, a good man all his life. The public loved hearing that he became a bad man after all.

People who had ever met Sooyoung were rare. Although they heard she was beautiful, Kim Sowon was also a famous gisaeng of that era. Of Sowon’s beauty and seductive skills, many people knew.

She’s the famous gisaeng that could break any families she wanted. They all heard the famous saying that when you spend one night with her, you’d always want to crawl back.

Of all these rumours Sungjae, his loyal aide Baekhyun, and his six friends knew nothing. They didn’t socialize with people who enjoyed cheap gossips.

Unfortunately, it was Lady Seungwan’s maid who heard this, one morning, when she was shopping at the market.

And all hell broke loose.

************************************************

Sooyoung was surprised when all her four friends visited her at the same time, yet she was delighted.

She greeted them with open arms and smiles, saying, “Look, am I not fat now? I’m fat with my baby!”

None of her friends could smile back though.

Yeri even couldn’t hold back her tears.

“.........what’s wrong? Is there—has someone gotten hurt?”

Hands reaching out for her, the four friends made Sooyoung sat down on her divan.

As calmly as they could, they informed her:

“Your husband is not loyal to you. We deeply apologize. But you must know. Yook Sungjae has a mistress. Her name is Kim Sowon from the Lavender Gisaeng House. He visited her often during lunch time, ever since you got pregnant.”

Sooyoung first laughed at it.

Then turned pale.

“You must be mistaken. That can’t be true. He loves me.”

Her friends convinced her of this because they didn’t want her to hear it from any other people.

And sometimes, the most devilish people got the best of luck.

Or the most cunning mind.

Kim Sowon, who kept sleeping regularly with Sungjae’s personal post officer, got notified that Sooyoung’s four friends visited that very moment.

She guessed that it would be to inform dearest Madam Park about her husband’s adultery.

This post officer then came to Sooyoung’s pavilion, stating that he had received a personal letter for Madam Park.

Still in her shocked daze, Sooyoung opened the letter.

The first thing she saw was Sungjae’s jewelled knife cover.

The letter was short, and lethal.

“A good wife must understand how to share. I will humbly continue to serve pleasure to your husband, something he couldn’t get from you now, or ever.”

She signed it arrogantly as Kim Sowon.

Sooyoung was an ordinary woman. No woman on earth would honestly feel alright in sharing the love of her man.

She began crying with that letter and his knife cover in her hands.

It was a proof that even her brilliant mind found hard to deny.

She knew the knife was custom-made with jewels and Sungjae had carried wherever he went since he was ten years old.

What she did next shocked everyone though.

Crying, she marched to her husband’s office at the front of his house.

Yook house was huge, and it was a long walk. But Sooyoung ran. As fast as she could, despite her pregnancy, her friends, Taeyeon, and her guards screaming at her to stop, to think of her baby, to calm down.

But she wouldn’t.

She’d hear her husband’s answer on her own.

*************************************************

“SUNGJAENIM!!!”

Everyone was shocked. Including Sungjae.

A married, pregnant woman should stay in the house.

The employees that worked in the big rice shop were all men, and considered strangers for her.

Men were sitting to count stocks and at the outer room, more men were wrapping rice in sacks, to be put in the storage room beside the shop.

Sungjae was surprised.

He stood up abruptly.

“Madam???” he called, the formal title according to their customs, in front of strangers. “What is the matter? Are you unwell?”

“I need to talk to my husband. Can everyone leave this room? Now.”

She was shaking and there were tearstains on her cheeks.

But moreover, she was the Lady of the House, so the men scampered and ran, listening to her order.

“What’s wrong? Why did you have to come here?” Sungjae asked, approaching her.

“How dare you???”

“.........what?”

“You said you love me, but you betray me with a filthy gisaeng?”

“.........what are you talking about?”

Beyond angry, Sooyoung threw the letter and the knife cover at his feet.

Stunned, Sungjae bent down to take the cover and the letter.

He read the letter and saw his jewelled knife cover, and knew what was going on.

“She’s lying. I never touched her.”

“DON’T INSULT ME FURTHER! YOU SWORE TO MY FATHER YOU’D NEVER TAKE ANOTHER WOMAN!”

“I never did. I’ve always been loyal to you!”

“How could you???” she screamed, sobbing hard, “I LOVE YOU!!! HOW COULD YOU???”

Sungjae tried to hold her but she pushed him away.

Sooyoung’s friends came forward to hold her, afraid she’d try to hit her own husband.

“I DON’T WANT THIS! I DON’T WANT YOU! RETURN ME TO MY FATHER’S HOUSE!!!”

“Park Sooyoung, calm down. You need to listen to me.”

“SHE HAS YOUR KNIFE COVER!!! WHAT ELSE SHOULD I LISTEN TO? I DON’T WANT TO BE MARRIED TO A CHEATING HUSBAND!”

“PARK SOOYOUNG! THAT’S ENOUGH!”

“I am a woman, but I have my pride. YOU PROMISED MY FATHER YOU’D NEVER TAKE ANOTHER WOMAN!”

“I never touched another woman!”

“HOW DARE YOU TO STILL DENY IT??? I WANT TO RETURN TO MY FATHER’S HOUSE!!!”

“AND HOW DARE YOU TO NOT BELIEVE ME???” Sungjae screamed back.

Sooyoung turned silent at that.

“I LOVE YOU, BUT YOU HAVE TO INSULT ME BY BELIEVING A GISAENG MORE THAN ME? WHAT KIND OF BAD WIFE ARE YOU?”

“YOU’RE THE ONE WHO CHEATED, AND I AM THE BAD WIFE???”

Sooyoung held Taeyeon’s hand, “Unnie, let’s go home to Abeoji.”

“You’re going nowhere.”

“I’m going back to my father’s house and you can’t stop me!”

“I lawfully wedded you. You’re mine. And you’re carrying my child!”

“MY CHILD HAS NO FATHER!!!” Sooyoung screamed on top of her lungs, and Sungjae stepped forward to slap her on the cheek.

Hard.

“SOOYOUNG-AH!”

“AGASSI!!!”

While her friends and maid screamed, Sooyoung nearly fell to the floor.

Taeyeon, Joohyun and Seulgi caught her before she really fell.

“I am your husband, and I order you to return to your pavilion. You are not allowed to receive guests, or study.”

Sooyoung stared at him as if she had never seen him before.

“You love studying so much, right, Wife? Well, I’m taking back that right from you. Stay calmly in your room until you see reason. Then maybe you’ll learn to never trust a stranger against your husband anymore.”

“I don’t want to spend another day under the same roof with you.”

“Good thing I have guards, then, don’t you think? GUARDS!!!”

A dozen guards quickly entered the room.

“Carry my wife back to her pavilion.”

“No! Don’t touch me!”

“We’ll bring her back to her pavilion” Joohyun said.

“My wife doesn’t need poisonous friends. It must be you who told her these lies, right?”

“We never tell Sooyoung any lies.”

Sungjae took a deep breath.

“Be grateful you have a husband already, or I’ll throw you out of my house this instant. Park Sooyoung will return to her pavilion. Now.”

“Yes, but not dragged by the guards. She deserves respect!” Seungwan said, glaring at Sungjae.

At that, Sungjae turned around.

Her friends and Taeyeon helped Sooyoung stood up, and slowly walked with her back to her pavilion.

******************************************************

When Sooyoung saw her husband’s jewelled knife cover, anger and jealousy burnt her. She couldn’t see reason anymore. All she could think of was how dare her husband was, how heartless, for acting like he loved her completely but sleeping with another woman behind her back.

And Sungjae was Yook Sungjae. The only son of the extremely wealthy Yook family. He had never been insulted in his life. Ever since he was a child, all his wishes were granted, and everyone treated him with respect.

He was really angry and disappointed that someone he loved with all his heart could not believe his innocence. He felt betrayed by Sooyoung. And hurt as well.

*************************************************

For the first time since he was married, Sungjae slept in his own pavilion that night.

Soon after Sooyoung returned to her pavilion, the guards had packed all of Sooyoung’s books that she got from Sungjae, including her notes and essays, then carrying them back to Sungjae’s pavilion.

She cried and begged them to not take her precious books, but they wouldn’t listen. After all, Sungjae’s orders were absolute in that house.

It was Taeyeon who held her in bed that night, as she cried and cried, until she had no more energy left and slept.

“Oh, Agassi” Taeyeon cried, holding Sooyoung’s hands.

“Ottoke, Agassi? Ottoke?”

No one answered.

And the night went on.

*********************************************

Author’s Note:

Don’t kill me.

TT________________TT

I know this chapter is a lot to take, but this is necessary.

I did warn you that they would face challenges.

I can’t write simply fluff for this fic all the time.

Stay strong. I hope you won’t drop this.

PS: So.....are you Team Sungjae or Team Sooyoung?