The Fight of Her Life

Sarang Iyagi

“I don’t get how a woman could be so evil to another woman” Sooyoung mused.

“Well, some women see other women as rivals” Seulgi replied.

“Rivals on getting what?” Sooyoung asked.

“Men. Wealthy men. Good-looking men. Or getting wealth. Or fame. Whatever the heart chooses.”

“Can’t all women have everything they want? I mean, the earth is wide enough.”

“Not if one woman wants what the other has” Seungwan chimed in.

“For example, wanting another woman’s husband” Yerim added.

“Why would a woman hurts another woman so badly by taking a husband?” Sooyoung asked again.

“Because the forbidden is always the most interesting.”

“I used to sympathise with gisaengs......” Sooyoung said thoughtfully. “They can choose the man they want to sleep with. They are good in dancing, singing and playing music instruments. But I am selfish, I guess. They can play with whoever they want, except my husband.”

Her four friends smiled at her.

“No sane woman would like to share her man with another” Joohyun said, looking amused.

“We are all lucky to have husbands that are willing to promise our parents that they would never take another wife or mistress.”

They all nodded at that.

“There are so many wealthy men who are unhappy with their arranged marriages, so I guess that’s why expensive gisaengs are popular” Yerim suggested.

“Or wealthy men who lost interest with their wives after some time.”

“It infuriates me sometimes. Men are allowed to have more than one wife and play with es. While women can’t play with other men” Joohyun voiced out.

The girls turned to her in shock.

“Not that I want to play with other men, but it’s just that.....it’s so unfair how women must be pure all the time, while men can be as free as they want.”

“I’d like to meet this Kim Sowon.”

They all turned to Sooyoung in shock.

“And then what will you do? Beat her? Kill her?”

“No, I just want to talk to her.”

“Do you think a madwoman like that would listen to you?”

“I want to see how she’s like. And I’d like to know why she’s so obsessed with Sungjaenim.”

“Please, don’t bother. This Kim Sowon woman wouldn’t be worth it.”

“I’d like to meet her just once, if only just to voice out my opinions at her.”

“You’ll only end up getting hurt” Seulgi warned.

They were visiting Sooyoung near dinner time, in the hope of apologizing personally to Sungjae, for what they did to him several days before.

As the ladies kept on chatting, Sungjae finished his work and arrived at Sooyoung’s pavilion.

“Oh, you have guests” he said as a greeting.

“Yook Doryeonnim” Joohyun, Seungwan, Seulgi and Yerim stood up and bowed.

“We’re here to apologize. Please forgive us for believing rumours and hurting you.”

“........I can’t say I wasn’t angry to all of you.”

“We are deeply sorry. From now on, we will trust you first.”

“........apology accepted” he finally answered, before sitting down beside Sooyoung.

“What can we do to pay for our mistake to you?”

“Just continue being her friends. Never leave my wife.”

They were all rather surprised at such a melancholic request. They glanced at each other, before finally breaking to relieved laughter.

“Of course, we’ll do that. We’ll always be with uri Sooyoungie. We don’t want it any other way.”

“That’s great, then.”

“Can we join your family to pray for her tomorrow?”

Yook and Park family would go to the temple the next day to pray for Sooyoung’s safe delivery.

“Sure. I will be grateful if you pray for her as well. She needs all the support she can get.”

“And can we be here when she delivers the baby?”

“I don’t mind. As long as your husbands agree.”

“Our husbands will agree” Joohyun assured.

“Excellent. Now, can we be done with the talking and start dinner? I’m starving.”

They laughed again at that, and began their dinner, that felt like a birthday feast, since they all felt happy and light.

All was well.

********************************************************

Kim Sowon was utterly enraged because the gisaeng head disowned her.

“You humiliated all of us for being so possessive and mad over Yook Sungjae Doryeonnim. It’s not your place to chase him! He had made it clear that he’s loyal to his wife, and you’re so shameless in wanting him! Leave this gisaeng house and never return! There’s no place here for you anymore!!!”

And so, disgraced, she left the gisaeng house where she had lived and served clients since she was fifteen.

Of course, she didn’t blame Sungjae for it, but Sooyoung instead.

This was all the fault of that Park Sooyoung.

If she couldn’t steal Yook Sungjae and kill Park Sooyoung in this lifetime, she’d haunt them and never reincarnate.

She had some money saved from all her “business” and managed to rent a small house where she then served clients privately.

During the day, she still stalked Sungjae—from farther distance this time—and sought information to destroy Park Sooyoung once and for all.

She found enlightenment in the knitted gloves stall near Sooyoung’s parents’ house.

“Park Sooyoung is perfect isn’t she, ahjumma? She has no flaws at all.”

“She’s a good girl. But good girls always have bad guys chasing after them. Or at least that’s what I know.”

“Bad guys?”

“For one year before she’s married, there’s a Kim Taehyung who chased her so badly. Everyone knew he wanted her so mcuh. But she was loyal to her fiancé, now her husband. And that Kim Taehyung finally gave up.”

“A Kim Taehyung. I see......”

Cackling, Sowon left. She had something solid to pursue from then on. Finding Kim Taehyung.

****************************************************

After a few days of tireless searching, asking people and checking offices and houses, Kim Sowon found out that Kim Taehyung was the heir of a wealthy merchant family that also had shady business deals they covered from the government.

He was indeed very obsessed with Park Sooyoung around two years ago, but suddenly stopped.

Sowon knew, though, those who are the hardest to get were the most interesting.

So, one night, when Kim Taehyung ordered a gisaeng to entertain him in an exclusive inn, Kim Sowon bribed the said gisaeng and replaced her.

Dressing impeccably alluring and fully ready to satisfy the merchant, she opened her greeting with a—“Good evening, My Lord. My name is Kim Sowon. I am ready to give you as much pleasure of the flesh as you wish tonight, and also, I want to be your mistress. As what to offer, I’ll help you get the one woman you couldn’t have, Park Sooyoung.”

Kim Taehyung lifted his head from his dinner and soju.

He took a good look at the beautiful gisaeng.

That’s a strange proposition, really.

“Park Sooyoung? You want to help me get Park Sooyoung? But she’s married.”

“A tainted woman would be abandoned, as we both know.”

Kim Taehyung lifted his eyebrows.

“Interesting. I’d love to have Park Sooyoung. I don’t care she’s married or not. But what’s in it for you?”

“Let’s say......I’d like to have my personal vendetta against Park Sooyoung.”

He smiled.

“Are you lusting over her husband, Kim Sowon? Yook Sungjae-ssi?”

She refused to answer, but that was answer enough on its own.

“Hm.......may I see what Yook Sungjae is refusing, then?”

Kim Sowon gladly stood up and stripped to the last layer.

“You have a lot to offer. How good are your moves, though?”

“There’s no better way to know then riding me yourself, don’t you think, My Lord?”

“Certainly. Come here and let me try you, Kim Sowon.”

Sowon smirked and sat boldly on Kim Taehyung’s lap.

*******************************************************

As Sooyoung neared her due date, Yook family arranged another collective praying event just for her. Sungjae, his parents, his sister and brother in-law would go together to the biggest temple in Hanyang, along with all their employees in the capital city and most of their guards. Their employees and guards in other cities were instructed to pray for her as well on the same day.

They gave food donation and money as well to the monks and the poor people.

That evening before they went to bed, Sooyoung, who stayed at home and didn’t join the prayer, caressed her belly and said, “Baby, please arrive healthy and well.”

“And you, Sooyoung, please be safe and healthy as well” Sungjae begged, holding her hand.

Delivering a baby was still a matter of life and death. Mothers could die from infection, bleeding and complications so easily.

“Have you prayed for the baby, Sungjaenim?”

“I have. But I pray for you more. May the delivery be fast and less painful for you.”

“I hope the heavens hear that” Sooyoung smiled.

Sungjae hugged her then, closely.

****************************************************

The due date finally came a week after the collective prayer.

Sooyoung was walking in the garden when her water broke.

She already read books and got educated by Lee Young Ae, the physician. She knew the time had arrived.

“The baby is coming!” Sooyoung shouted, along the painful twists in her belly.

It was so painful that she couldn’t breathe easily.

In fifteen minutes, Lee Young Ae had arrived and prepared Sooyoung’s bedroom as the delivery room. She asked the servants to wash their hands and prepared lots of boiling water. Joohyun, Seungwan, Seulgi and Yerim were notified with couriers, all rushing to Yook House. Sooyoung’s parents and sisters were also notified, and they marched promptly.

Young Ae forbid everyone to come inside the room except the servants. Not even Sooyoung’s mother was allowed to enter.

It was unusual for fathers and grandfathers to wait for a baby’s delivery. It was an event seen as dangerous and could turn to bad luck easily, so usually males waited outside the delivery room.

This was hard to take for Sungjae.

The second he heard Sooyoung began screaming, he wanted to come into the room, banging at the doors.

“LET ME IN!!! SHE NEEDS ME!!! I WANT TO BE THERE WITH HER!!!”

“Aniyo, Sungjae-yah” his mother said, “It’s terrifying inside, you might not be able to handle it.”

“I don’t want her to be terrified alone!”

“She has the physician and maids helping her.”

“Let me in!!!”

“And you could catch a disease inside, Son. Just wait here like everyone else.”

“I’m not everyone else! I’m her husband! I made her has to endure this!”

“I also waited outside when your mom was giving birth” Hyunseung informed, “It’s how it should be done. It’s the way of the world for hundreds of years, Sungjae-yah.”

Annoyed but unable to defy his parents, Sungjae resumed his pacing, feeling like he’d be insane with all her screamings.

************************************************************

They tied two long cotton cloths on the bed’s top frame for Sooyoung to pull at.

The pain destroyed her from the inside, making her body twisting left and right, and sweat trickling.

“Agassi, you can do this! Be strong, Agassi!” Taeyeon said, wiping Sooyoung’s sweat.

Pain washed over her so excruciatingly that she out for a few seconds.

“Agassi! AGASSI!!! She’s unconscious!”

Because there’s no other way, Young Ae threw a bowl of cold water at Sooyoung’s face.

She regained consciousness, only to experience another wave of pain, and screamed with it.

“Push, Agassi! Push!!!”

Sooyoung couldn’t find the strength lying down and she sat up, pulling hard and at the hanging cloths, as she pushed with all her might, her tears were mixing with her sweat, and she drowned Taeyeon’s effort to encourage her with her own screams.

“This must be a big baby” Young Ae concluded. “The position is right and you are strong. But the baby is big, so you must push harder, Samonim. Use all your strength!”

Sooyoung gulped some air and pushed with all her might.

After one hour, she began to wish to die. It was all too painful and she couldn’t stand it.

But, no. She had to deliver this baby, no matter what. This baby must see the world. So she knelt down on the bed, held on tighter to the hanging cloths and pushed harder, so hard she thought all her bones would break.

After two hours, she couldn’t even kneel or sat up anymore, and lied down to catch her breath.

“You won’t have enough energy lying down, Samonim. You need to sit again. Or better still, stand up.”

“Help me—stand up.”

At first, her feet were wobbly, so Taeyeon and a maid held her.

Then she could stand better.

Holding the bed post, as horrible pain pushed down on her, she too—pushed with all her might. Every push made her screamed.

But still, the baby wouldn’t come out.

Was it happier inside?

No, though, the baby had to born.

Sooyoung held the bed post so tight, until she was confused why it didn’t break.

Her teeth gritted with all the strength she was using.

She was trembling and sweating and in absolute pain.

Her last series of pushing made her sobbed.

“I want Sungjaenim......please call him......”

“But—Samonim, you can’t call him. You’re giving birth......”

“I’ll be stronger with him. He’s the father. Somebody—call him in—“

“Agassi, no one calls their husbands inside when they give birth......”

“I NEED HIM! THIS IS HIS CHILD! Why can’t he help me by being here? Sungjaenim! SUNGJAENIM!!!”

Young Ae and Taeyeon looked at each other, not really sure of what to do.

Because no one seemed willing to listen to her, Sooyoung screamed on her own.

“SUNGJAENIM!!! I NEED YOU!!! COME HELP ME!!!”

Sooyoung couldn’t stand upright anymore and preferred to sit at the edge of the bed, one hand holding tight to the bed post.

“I want Sungjaenim. Please bring him in!”

Another wave of pain attacked and she screamed and sobbed again.

“Sungjaenim, help me! SUNGJAENIMMMMMMM!!!”

The doctrine of the era was so great. Men were like Gods, and it was just uncommon for husbands to be there when their wives gave birth, that no matter how Sooyoung screamed for him, no maids moved to unlock the doors and brought him in.

However, Sungjae could hear Sooyoung screaming for him. And he wouldn’t stay silent.

“Guards! Break one window, I’m going in!”

“No, Sungjae-yah. You’ll catch a disease!”

It was also another myth, but everyone believed it.

“I DON’T CARE! I’M GOING IN! SHE NEEDS ME!”

Sooyoung screamed again, long and loud.

Sungjae’s father and brother in-law even went so far as to hold his arms.

Sooyoung’s screams got louder, and her own parents went out from the sitting room next door.

“LET ME GO!!! SHE NEEDS ME!!!”

“It’s not wise, Sungjae-ssi. Just stay here and pray with us” Sooyoung’s mother begged.

It was true. None of the ladies there who already had children had their husbands beside them when they gave birth. They were all waiting outside.

“SUNGJAENIM! SUNGJAENIM, PLEASE HELP ME! SUNGJAENIMMMMM!!!”

Sooyoung was crying and screaming and Sungjae was beside himself with worry. He was contemplating to push his father violently then his brother in-law, when Sooyoung screamed his name again.

“FOR GOODNESS SAKE, LET HIM IN!!!”

Everyone froze and turned.

Bae Joohyun just screamed at everyone.

It was rudeness beyond belief, especially because she was just a guest, but Sooyoung was dear for her. She'd face the wrath of the elders later.

“She’s risking her life giving you all an heir, and you won’t let Sungjae-ssi enter? LET HIM IN!!!”

“SUNGJAENIM! HELP ME!”

“LET HIM GO AND LET HIM IN!!!”

With that, Sungjae shrugged off from his father and brother in-law, made the guards broke the windows with a strong wooden chest –it’s really starting to become a habit, breaking windows and repairing them the next day.

Once the windows broke, he climbed and went inside.

The room, usually fragrant and peaceful, were in total chaos.

Servants were sitting and kneeling around Sooyoung, Taeyeon was wiping her sweat, and Young Ae was instructing Sooyoung to breathe.

“SUNGJAENIM!!! WHY WON’T YOU HELP ME???”

“I’M HERE!!!”

Everyone in the room was too busy tending to Sooyoung, they didn’t hear when the windows broke.

Sooyoung turned and saw him.

“Sungjaenim! I can’t let the baby out! Ottoke?”

He ran and sat beside her.

Sooyoung’s hand immediately held his arm in a death grip.

She was very pale already.

It scared him in an unbelievable degree, but he stood his ground.

Another surge of pain attacked and Sooyoung twisted in pain, holding hard at the bedpost with one hand and Sungjae with the other hand.

“Push, Samonim. Push!!!”

“You can do this, Sooyoung-ah!”

“I can do this!” she said, and pushed hard.

She tried and tried and tried, until her hold on Sungjae’s hand became slippery with her own sweat.

Finally she stood up again and held onto the bedpost.

“Be strong!” Sungjae said, “Be strong, Sooyoung-ah.”

She pushed so hard but it still didn’t work, and she swayed.

Sungjae got up and caught her.

She saw his hands on top of hers, as she gripped the bed post.

“You’re the strongest woman I know. And you’ll win this too. PUSH, PARK SOOYOUNG!!!”

She pushed with all her might, with everything she got, and with all the strength she didn’t even know she had.

“I think I could feel the baby’s head!” Sooyoung said, panicking.

Young Ae unceremoniously knelt in front of Sooyoung and lifted her dress.

She was under her dress, and the baby’s head had indeed emerged.

“You need to push more!”

Sungjae backhugged her as she pushed harder, gritting her teeth until they hurt.

More of the baby’s head emerged. It was a big head. A big baby, indeed.

But Sooyoung had to be faster.

“SAMONIM!!! YOUR BABY IS STUCK!!! IF YOU DON’T PUSH HARDER, THE BABY WON’T BE ABLE TO BREATHE! PUSH HARDER! OR THE BABY WILL DIE!!!”

“No! My baby can’t die!”

She took a deep breath and pushed so hard, so hard until the whole world, except the arms holding her from the back, faded away.

The baby slipped down until Young Ae could see his face.

“Push harder, Samonim! You almost make it!!!”

Not knowing what else to do, Sooyoung put one leg on the bed and pushed harder.

She managed to push the baby down until the shoulders were visible.

Young Ae held the shoulders and pulled out the baby in one clear and strong movement.

Sooyoung saw a red baby covered in her own blood.

“The baby is not crying! Why is it not crying???” she asked, panic climbing .

Young Ae held the baby and let it leant on her shoulder, then she patted the baby’s back.

They heard a small choke, an intake of breath, and a wail.

Finally, the baby was crying.

“Congratulations Samonim. You have a healthy son.”

Sooyoung lost all her strength and fell to the ground, but Sungjae caught her first.

“Sajangnim, please wait outside, I need to sew Samonim’s , or else the bleeding won’t stop.”

“I’m going nowhere” he informed decisively.

Since it had to be done immediately, Young Ae lied Sooyoung on the floor, her head on Sungjae’s lap, as Young Ae spread Sooyoung’s leg and sew her walls. Blood was trickling down her thighs, and she was close to fainting.

“You did great, Sooyoung-ah. You are amazing!”

Sooyoung smiled tiredly, not feeling the sewing anymore, since she experienced something more painful already.

“Sajangnim, please wait outside while we bathe the baby and Samonim.”

“You bathe the baby. I’ll bathe my wife.”

“But—“

“Do it” Sungjae said, carrying Sooyoung, who couldn’t stand anymore in his arms.

So Young Ae proceeded to bathe the baby with warm water.

“Algesseumnida. Whatever happens, don’t let Samonim sleep for at least one hour.”

“I’ll help” Taeyeon announced.

Sungjae put Sooyoung in bed and undressed her.

The servants were either looking away or staring with an open mouth.

Once Sooyoung was , Taeyeon brought a basin of warm water and a pile of clean cloth.

Sungjae rolled his sleeves and began wiping Sooyoung’s body, which was drenched in sweat.

“Talk to her. Don’t let her fall asleep” Sungjae ordered.

Sooyoung was indeed dozing off, her eyes were opening and closing.

They believed that if the mother fell asleep right after giving birth, she’d pass away.

“Agassi! Agassi, listen to me! You have a son!”

“Is....he....healthy?”

Sungjae wiped her core clean, as the servants watched in horror.

“He’s healthy, Agassi! What would you do with him?”

“T—teach him.....everything......be a good man......Unnie.....let me sleep just for a bit......”

“Andwae! Keep talking to me! And then what else will you do?”

“Teach him......to walk.....talk.....read.....count.......cal....calligraphy......Tired.....let me sleep......”

Sungjae began putting on her underwear, then her dress, s cover and jeogori.

Once done, Young Ae brought the baby, already bathed and clean.

Sungjae and Taeyeon helped Sooyoung to sat up.

“He’s a big baby” Young Ae stated, “Very healthy too.”

Young Ae gave the baby to Sooyoung’s arms.

The baby was chubby and red, a sign that his skin would be fair as he grew older.

He had big eyes that seemed to see everything as strange. He was frowning too.

“Annyeong, Baby. This is Ommoni.”

The baby flailed his hands as an answer.

“And I love you very much”

Tears were streaming down her face.

Sungjae touched the baby’s cheek with his fingertip carefully.

“Annyeong. I’m Abeoji.”

The baby hummed.

“You’re beautiful” he said, his eyes were b with tears as well.

Sooyoung smiled at that.

“Thank you, Wife” Sungjae pronounced softly, kissing her forehead, “You’ve blessed me beyond measure. Thank you for being safe. For a healthy son. And for my heir. Manhi saranghae.”

He then kissed her cheeks.

“Would you like to show the baby to your family?” Young Ae asked.

Sooyoung nodded and gave the baby to Sungjae.

Sungjae accepted the wrapped bundle really carefully.

“I’ll take him outside. Everyone will be happy to see him.”

Sooyoung smiled and nodded.

Sungjae stood up while Taeyeon helped Sooyoung moved to a chair as she changed the bed’s sheet.

Everyone was in love with the baby, and declared that he’s the most beautiful baby boy they’ve ever seen.

They then visited Sooyoung in turns, congratulating her and hugging her.

“Thank you for blessing us with an heir” Sungjae’s mother said, “You’ve worked hard.”

“It’s my pleasure” Sooyoung beamed, her eyes sparkling with happiness.

**************************************************

Author’s Note:

Giving birth is a huge battle. With lack of medical advancement and the beliefs of myths, it was harder to do it in Joseon era.

Sooyoung fought really hard for her baby. I wish you understand that she was strong as her own, but with Sungjae, she felt safer and supported, so she found even more strength.

I hope you like the update. You can get this so soon because I’m on Eid Al-Fitr holiday.

Enjoy and remember to comment.