The Crown Prince's Birthday

Sarang Iyagi

Attending someone's birthday party was a normal occasion in social life, including in Joseon era. But to attend the birthday party of the crown prince was something really special. It's a huge honour.

The first thing Sungjae and Sooyoung thought seriously about was the present.

"I hate this part most of all! It's so hard to think about the birthday present! It has to be expensive, but above all, meaningful. I'm glad I'm married now. You can help me think what to give to the crown prince this year and all the upcoming years in the future."

"How did you get acquainted with him, Sungjaenim? It's such a huge honour."

"It's our teachers. The teachers that taught me and my six friends to read, write, and count, also in philosophy before we enrolled in Sungkyunkwan, were also the teachers of the crown prince and his brothers. He found out about that when we were around......twelve, I guess. And he requested to meet all his teachers' private students. Since then, my six friends and I were always invited to the imperial palace once a month to meet with him."

"When we started studying in Sungkyunkwan and he got crowned as the crown prince, we all got busier, and he changed the meeting to every three months."

"Do you still meet regularly even until now?"

"Ne. Don't you know? I go to the palace every season."

".............I thought that was to talk about business."

"Aniya. The meeting for the rice business and other products are held monthly, and it's with the palace's supply officer, not the crown prince."

"Omo. You must be really familiar with the palace!"

".............does it take you that long to be impressed with me?"

"I mean—I've never even step one foot in the palace."

"You will be. You're attending the birthday party with me."

"Is it as beautiful as what everyone says?"

"It is beautiful. But it becomes just another big house after you see it so regularly. I never really enjoy being there."

"You don't? Why is that?"

Sungjae shrugged.

"I feel......oppressed. All the expectations and demands......all the rules......all the politics and power play......you could feel it just by being there. My friends always feel great to be there. For me it's a horrible place."

"You don't get impressed by material splendour then. You're really someone to reckon with, Sungjaenim."

She was embroidering Jae Young's little shirt that day, and Sungjae was writing letters. It's the weekend, his day off.

He suddenly went quiet after what she said, making her lifting her head up from her work.

"...........you really are a dangerous woman, Park Sooyoung. Do you know that?"

"What? What did I do?"

"You just know the right words to flatter men. If you become a gisaeng, I guess you'll really be a successful one."

"Mwo???"

"Take it as a compliment. Men are vile beings. They like to be flattered. And I just realized to be said that I value things beyond materialistic values is really something that I enjoy hearing. How do you know that? Even I didn't know that?"

Sooyoung stared at her husband, speechless.

"I didn't say that for such a complicated purpose, Sungjaenim. I simply said what I thought about you."

"That's even more dangerous. It means your flirting is effortless."

She frowned. "I am not flirting with you."

"Are you sure? You love to read, Sooyoung. Did you read books on how to.....I don't know, get men's hearts in your grasp or something before you got married?"

".............believe it or not, my life before this marriage was not solely about trying to secure your attention."

Sungjae lifted an eyebrow.

"You're angry."

"I'm not."

"You are. It's just that.....how you speak so well often surprised me."

"I happen to be well-educated."

"You're getting bolder since you gave me a son, Park Sooyoung. I like that."

"..........how long do people must marry to understand each other completely?"

"Forever, maybe? I don't know. This is my first marriage."

"And the last one, hopefully?"

Sungjae froze, before bursting in a laugh, nearly knocking over his ink pad.

"Oh my! You really are getting bolder!"

"I confess you still confuse me regularly, Sungjaenim."

"Am I? I'm glad then. Someone entirely solved must be boring for you, Madam Park."

Sooyoung sighed in frustration.

"I assure you, I'm counting the days until the time I can bed you again. It's twenty days away today, I remember."

"How did this conversation turn to this? We were talking about what present to give for the crown prince!"

"You converse with me, Sooyoung. That's why. And I'll tell you, because you deny you read books about catching men's attention, intelligent conversations are one of the best ways of flirting."

"I never read those kinds of books and I wasn't flirting with you."

"And like I told you, it's all the better. When we first got married, I thought your best feature is your beauty. Then I thought it's your figure. After you had Jae Young, I thought it's your heart, Wife. But today, I think it's your intelligence. Talking with you is such a pleasure. You should tell all the gisaengs in this kingdom to be as interesting as you in conversing, then maybe they'll gather more clients."

She wasn't sure how to react anymore. Her cheeks felt hot, though it's autumn.

"Ah, I don't know anymore!" she whined, getting up from the divan, carrying her sewing basket, obviously running away from her husband. He's a menace on his days off.

"Yah, where are you escaping to?"

"I need to feed your son!" she answered loudly, refusing to turn and look at him. She could hear his laugh even when she's already at the doors.

****************************************************

Hearing that the Crown Prince Jongin really loved astronomy, Sooyoung suggested to commission an astronomer to draw the map of stars. Sungjae agreed that it would be really unique, and did exactly that.

After the matter of the present was solved, there was another matter. Their clothes. His mom, Madam Im, helped Sooyoung to choose the right design and colours for both of them. They chose the colours of silver and blue, then Madam Im started to work immediately. The clothes were done exactly three days before the event.

On the evening of the party, Sooyoung and Sungjae went to the palace in separate palanquins. Once they arrived, Sooyoung got speechless in admiring everything. It was as if her eyes were not enough to take in everything all at once. There were beautifully painted lanterns all over the palace. Hundreds, at least. There were also pots of flowers bordering all the paths the guests walked on.

She felt a bit sad that she got to see it after sunset. It must be really spectacular when it's bright and she could see everything.

Uniquely, the first session of the party would be separated, between men and women. The invited men were sons of ministers and the wealthiest merchants in the kingdom. The Crown Prince arranged that all the men would gather first before the actual dinner.

For the women, The Crown Prince's Wife also held a gathering. She was from the prestigious Jung family, and her name was Jung Soojung. Rumours had it that she was extremely beautiful and intelligent, but also unbelievably arrogant.

Either way, Sooyoung was really interested to meet this Princess Soojung. Sungjae said that it was a first for the princess to hold her own session of gathering in the Crown Prince's party.

"I heard she's lonely, and would like to find some like-minded friends."

That story was enough to make all the wives present excited.

The event was held at one of the gardens in the Crown Prince's Palace.

At first, everyone seemed so amazed with the Princess's beauty when she appeared. The Crown Prince was wearing a dark purple outfit, and the Princess was wearing the same colour.

Everyone bowed deeply to welcome her, and she waved to signal everyone to sit comfortably again.

"Please play the music" she asked, then a group of musicians at one corner of the garden started playing a calm tune.

"Good evening, Ladies."

"Good evening, Crown Prince's Wife."

"As you might know already, my name is Soojung from the Jung family. I entered this palace as the Crown Prince's Wife when I was 17. Had my son when I was 18, and now I am 20 years old. The palace life is eventful indeed, but it could be a bit lonely. I really crave for the company of friends from my own gender. Someone I could laugh and share my mind with."

"Before we continue, I apologize if anyone thinks I am not as elegant as you imagine. Some say I am arrogant. Some even like to picture me as an evil woman. But in reality, I am someone who find it hard to smile if not to someone I'm close to."

"I don't have a close friend since I became a wife and a mother. I'd like to find one or two. The Crown Prince said, if I find who I'm looking for tonight, I can invite them regularly. So I have prepared a small.....challenge for all of you. Answer one question from me. Don't be afraid to speak your mind. I guarantee there will be no punishments whatsoever. Honesty reveals real character. I must see that if I see a friend. If you don't get chosen, please don't be offended. I'm just looking for someone who has a similar character like me."

Then, dozens of palace maids approached the guests, carrying a small desk, rolls of paper, ink pads and brushes.

"Just one question, and one answer. Please answer as honestly as you could. After that, refreshments will be given."

All the ladies present turned at each other, glancing at the other's expression. They all looked confused, surprised, nervous, even annoyed.

To be given a quiz by the princess on a dinner party! That was unthinkable! But since she was the princess, no one dared to argue.

"My question is, who do you think is the freest woman on earth? Do you like her or not? Please explain your answers."

Sooyoung was really surprised with what was currently happening. She loved the princess already, though. She was so different from what she imagined indeed. She imagined someone really elegant or meek, or both.

Princess Soojung was more than that. A lot more.

She could understand if the princess said living in the palace could be lonely. She sometimes felt lonely in Yook Family House as well, but she was lucky to have her four friends. She imagined the princess might not have the permission to leave the palace at all.

And to choose a friend based on similarity on their visions and most importantly, how they perceived women in general? That was the most brilliant thing she had ever heard in her life! Sooyoung suddenly wanted to win. She wanted to be friends with this strange yet revolutionary princess.

The princess said there would be no punishments for writing their minds.

So Sooyoung wrote honestly:

I think the freest woman on earth is a woman who doesn't marry, is wealthy enough to live comfortably, and could pursue education to its highest available stage. A wife often must obey her husband. A mother's life is tied to her children. She is happy when the children are well, and she is devastated when the children are unwell.

I am married and I already have one baby boy. I don't regret my marriage, as the Heaven is so kind in giving me a husband who let me continue my education further. And I do love my son. However, I can't help dreaming living in a different world, where women's only respectable choice was not only to marry and be a mother, where women could be as smart as men, be generals and lecturers, design palaces and become ministers........

Would these happen in 500 years, Princess? What do you think?

Sooyoung was the only one who wrote quickly and confidently. The other ladies were all hesitant and turning to see each other's progress, looking deeply confused. They all knew how to read and write. And all of them were educated enough to be the wife of extremely wealthy men. However, the concept of "a free woman" was too alien for them to digest, moreover as a letter for the Crown Prince's Wife.

Soon after, the palace maids collected the papers.

"Humour me some more, will you, Ladies? I ask for fifteen minutes to read what you all wrote. Then my palace maids will guide you to walk around the garden in ten different directions. Yes, ten. I will choose one letter that I love the most. The writer of that letter will be led by a palace maid and meet me at the end. The winner's name will be a secret, at least until this night ends. Once my invitation to meet my new friend is known, I'm sure the whole Hanyang will know who she is. Enjoy the dance and the music while I read your letters."

Sooyoung and the other ladies enjoyed the dance performances by the gisaengs. There were many kinds of gisaengs. Except the ones who simply became es, there were some who pursued arts and became performers, without giving ual favours to anyone.

The ones invited by Princess Soojung were gisaengs from a very respectable dancers company, who often performed incredible traditional Korean dances for the palace, ministers and wealthy merchants.

Sooyoung thought they all looked really elegant and beautiful. Her younger sisters also liked dancing, but she herself couldn't find the coordination between limbs enough to be a good dancer. These gisaengs danced with colourful dresses and used fans and slayers, moving as one, resembling flowers falling in spring days.

Her mind flew to Kim Sowon, the gisaeng who was obsessed with her husband, and wondered how she looked like. Was she as pretty as these dancers?

For a second, she felt as if a cold wind gushed behind her. She even had to look back. There was no one behind her except her maid, Taeyeon, and the palace maids who were positioned behind the guests to provide their needs.

She then got immersed again watching the dancers' performance.

After what felt like a very short time, the palace maids all asked them to walk into the gardens. With smiles, they asked each lady to follow ten different paths. They were all excited. It felt like a mysterious game. The palace also had beautiful gardens as well, so it was a pleasure to walk through them.

The evening smelled sweet and fresh. Sooyoung saw various flowers in bright colors, ponds with goldfish and gazebos that looked as if they came straight out of story books. There were two other ladies who were told to follow the same path as hers. Then, one was asked to turn right and the other to turn left.

She was alone with Taeyeon in the vast garden.

"Let's just enjoy the view" Sooyoung said, hooking arms with her, then they both walked slowly, admiring the scene.

"Could you imagine living here? Heaven must look like this" Taeyeon mused.

"But there are politics and intrigues, like a beast trying to eat another beast. Real life might not be as pretty as it seems here."

"Aigoo, Agassi! Did you have to ruin the atmosphere like that?"

"I was merely—"

Sooyoung turned to another path that had lots of orchids, and saw the Princess sitting behind one small, stone circular table, drinking tea, with two palace maids and guards around her.

"Madam Park Sooyoung" the princess greeted, standing up and approaching her.

***Wives in South Korea retained their maiden family name even after the marriage. So Sooyoung would not be called Madam Yook***

Sooyoung bowed to her, as Taeyeon bowed deeper.

"Have you known this will happen?" the princess asked.

"I.....hoped it would, but I didn't think—"

"I love your answer. You've got to be the most revolutionary lady that attends the party tonight."

Sooyoung was speechless, and followed the princess walking around the orchid garden.

"This used to be the favourite garden of one of the Royal Concubines. She's passed now, but the flowers she loved so much lived on. They said orchids were one of the hardest flowers to tend, yet somehow orchids grow so easily in this particular garden."

"..........was the Royal Concubine happy during her life?"

"No."

The princess's tone lowered to a whisper.

"The emperor loved her very much, but she died a sudden death, when she was still the most beautiful. They said she was poisoned. Most possibly by my husband's mother, the queen."

Sooyoung gasped and covered in shock.

"If people caught us talking about this—" Princess Soojung continued, "We would all be dead."

"Then let's not talk about this anymore" Sooyoung begged.

"But isn't the forbidden always the most interesting?"

Sooyoung was suddenly scared with the princess. There was something unworldly in her beauty, as if she was not a being of the mortals.

Yet it all disappeared when she laughed.

"Aigoo, I was just playing with you. I am usually not that naughty" the princess assured.

"So the story was untrue?"

"The Royal Concubine was real" she answered, whispering again, "And who caused her death is an ongoing speculation even until now."

"Please, Hwangtejabi (Crown Prince's Wife), let's not talk about this anymore."

"I apologize" she said, holding Sooyoung by the hand and walking with her, "My husband indeed said that my sense of humour is too dark. Don't be afraid. I will not harm you."

Sooyoung had never met a woman like this before. In a way, she resembled her beloved Bae Joohyun so much. Yet the Princess Soojung was darker in the brightest way possible, if that concept was even acceptable.

"I do admire your answer. The freest woman on earth is wealthy, never marries or has children, and could pursue education as far as she wants."

Sooyoung smiled and nodded.

"Do you think such a woman exists?"

".........not that I know of."

"I like your answer. And I half think the closest to that definition was a gisaeng."

Sooyoung was surprised at that.

"Someone who can choose who she gives her body to, gets payment for it, and has her mind and heart for herself. And all her time for herself as well."

Sooyoung felt like she was taken to another reality. How can a woman speaks like this? So freely as well.

"When you say it like that, I do think gisaengs are free."

"Freer than both of us?"

"Ye, Hwangtejabi."

The princess beamed.

"I have never found someone this broad minded to discuss such a subject. My mother was always horrified. My sister is even more horrified. My teachers in the past wouldn't even hear of it. And my husband listens just to humour me."

"There shouldn't be any harm in speaking. And every woman deserves a like-minded friend."

"Thank you for saying that. That's the kind of friend I desperately want."

"I never expect this to happen."

"That you'll meet a strange princess tonight?"

"Ye."

"I'm just—desperately lonely" she confessed. "Family life is great, but I miss someone who I can be free and really speak my mind with."

"Are you sure you can say those things to me, though? They said the palace has eyes and ears everywhere."

"My husband assured that wherever I am in this palace, there are his guards guarding me. No one will be able to enter without their permission."

"Still, Hwangtejabi, I think you must be careful."

"I am careful. I am always careful! That's why, I feel that I am almost going crazy!"

"Well, if it's a friend that you need, I'm here. And I'll be glad to be one of yours."

"Excellent! And now, let us continue. Do you agree gisaengs are the closes to your description?"

"The ones who give ual favours are not free, I'm sure."

"Really? They are paid for every ......."

"But they have to.....sell their body to continue living comfortably."

"I see."

"And not to mention, some gisaengs have a sad life. They might be sold by their parents to the gisaeng house, to get some money."

"Some were forced to do it?"

"Ye."

"I see."

They heard a gong from somewhere faraway.

"That must be the sign that the birthday dinner will soon start. Let us return to our husbands. But be assured, if you don't mind, Madam Park, can we send letters to each other? And have tea together once in a while?"

"I'll be honoroured, Hwangtejabi."

"That's settled then. I'll see you soon!"

They both then walked to the Crown Prince's dinner party. The princess was picked up by the guards with a palanquin, while Sooyoung and Taeyeon had to walk back.

She was surprised to see Sungjae waiting for her at the entrance of the Crown Prince's palace. The second he saw her, he hurried to her and caught her wrist.

It was really the era where it was vulgar for a man to touch a woman in public, even when she's your wife. Touching, even only the hand, was only done in the privacy of bedrooms.

But Sungjae caught Sooyoung's hand firmly, and led her back to the outer garden.

"What—Sungjaenim, what are you doing, people are staring at us!"

"I have something urgent to tell you!"

"But the birthday dinner—"

"Be quiet and follow me—"

"You are not trying to take your wife in some dark corner of the gardens aren't you, Yook Sungjae? For shame, at least wait until you're both home."

Sooyoung felt as if she was being thrown by a bucket of cold water.

It was Kim Taehyung, the wealthy merchant who chased her before she was married.

What he said was such a lewd insult, and Sungjae was furious hearing that, especially because it was him who said it.

It would be such a pleasure to ask him for a duel, but it was not the time and place, and the only thing Sungjae said was, "Not everyone has their mind in the gutter, Mr. Kim. Unlike you. Excuse us. I have something urgent to tell my wife."

Sooyoung heard the emphasis on the last two words, and let herself be led to a corner of the outer garden.

"Kim Sowon is here" Sungjae informed.

"Who?"

"Kim Sowon. The gisaeng that is—"

"Oh. I see. How?"

"There were dance performances for the male guests earlier. It was—a more mature theme than usual. Something I didn't expect from the Crown Prince's birthday party. I heard it was arranged by the Left Minister, who the Crown Prince doesn't like. But still—I thought you should hear it from me. I don't want you to misunderstand anything. She, um—threw me a handkerchief."

"Oh. That kind of dance."

"Yes."

"Where's the handkerchief now?"

"I threw it to one of the pots of torches."

Sooyoung burst out laughing.

"Thank you, Sungjaenim. Your loyalty flatters me."

"If you see her again during the birthday dinner, please don't be alarmed."

"I won't. Thank you for the warning."

He took a deep breath.

"Good. How was the gathering with the princess and the other ladies?"

"Better than I expect."

"Oh? What happened?"

"I'll tell you later. I think we must return to the party. Before they all really think you're doing the nasty with me here."

He laughed at that.

"I'll never do such a thing."

"I know. You're too much of a gentleman for that."

"Not that. But because I don't want other people to see you or hear you in that condition. It will always be in the bedroom, behind locked doors for us, Wife."

Sooyoung blushed at that, and returned first to the birthday dinner.

********************************************************

Sooyoung was raised in a very rich family, and married a very rich man as well. She was used to splendour and beautiful things, embroidered silk and jewels, music and dancers performing during celebrations, and tables of the best cuisines money could buy.

The Crown Prince's birthday dinner was beyond what she had experienced, though.

It was a great experience in itself, to see the crown prince wearing his royal robe, silver threads embroidered onto his royal navy robe, and the crown prince's wife was wearing something similar, except that it was the female version.

Everyone present was wearing their best set of jewelleries. The lantern reflected all the dazzling lights produced by the jades, gold, silver, emeralds, rubies and diamonds worn by the guests and the royal pair.

There were three courses of meals, and each course had twenty two dishes, as it was the crown prince's age. Even those who dislike being a glutton would be one. The soup was made from various kinds of seafood. The main course was lobsters, with various side dishes. The rice was white rice mixed with various seeds. The desserts were all kinds of traditional cakes and cookies, with cold drinks in jade bowls that made your whole body felt cooler.

Sooyoung loved music, and the music players that night were incredible, playing tunes that made the atmosphere merrier and merrier. But the culmination was the dancers. A eunuch announced that the dance was created especially to celebrate the crown prince's birthday, and depicted the story from his birth until the present day.

From the story the dancers told through their movements, Sooyoung imagined the Crown Prince's life as peaceful, full of studying and hunting, and was full of hopes.

However, the second dance was unexpected. If the previous dance was danced by a mix of male and female dancers, the second one was performed completely by gisaengs, and the top of their hanbok dresses were transparent.

The music changed to be really seductive, the dancers movements too lewd, the meaning of the dance was too suggestive.

The gisaengs were dancing around a giant, man-made flower, and the bud was closed.

Yes, the gisaengs were beautiful. Their clothes were of the most beautiful combination of the highest quality silk, but Sungjae had a bad feeling about it.

Sooyoung felt her hand was being clasped. Closely, then tightly.

She looked down at their clasped hands and was going to mention that it was not the time or place for her husband to hold her hand, but then the giant flower buds, through some smart, manual mechanism, opened, revealing a gisaeng dressed in sheer red hanbok.

The way she moved her hips, showed her arms and legs, and smiled suggestively at the audience, was not the kind of dance that should be presented in a crown prince's birthday. It would be appropriate only at a gisaeng house.

Most of the ladies were either closing their eyes or mouth, shocked of what they were seeing.

Sooyoung didn't know who the gisaeng was, but from the way Sungjae was holding her hand so tightly, she could guess that she must be Kim Sowon.

"Is that—"

"Ne. I'm sorry you have to see her."

"It's not your fault."

"Something strange is going on. How can she perform here at the palace? She should never even be allowed to step inside!"

"She's a gisaeng. Maybe she has an important client who could pull some strings."

"At the palace???"

"I guess so."

It was indeed Kim Sowon. The sheer red hanbok dress left little to imagination on how great her figure was.

It was a three minutes dance, and was possibly the culmination of her life so far.

She was dancing a solo dance, with fellow gisaengs as her back dancers, at the palace, in the crown prince's birthday party.

The truth was, she had bewitched Kim Taehyung, the rich slave provider, to love sleeping with her so much, that she convinced him to give her a slot at the party.

The party's organizer was the left minister, someone Kim Taehyung knew after providing lots of gisaengs and slaves for. Of course, Kim Sowon had to sleep with the minister too, but it was a fair trade. She was given some jewels as a gift for that, and also the chance to perform that night.

Her main wish was achieved. To make Yook Sungjae's wife looking as angry as could be.

Sungjae stared at her with disgust, but she chose to interpret it as lust, of course.

The side effect of the performance was that many of the young merchants present would ask for her service in the upcoming days and weeks.

The only men who didn't ask for her service were Sungjae's six friends who were all invited that evening, and the crown prince himself.

"I guess this is the left minister's idea on "an amazing birthday present" for you" Princess Soojung said to her husband in a low tone.

"What a vulgar scene that taints my party" the crown prince commented, obviously annoyed.

"Really? Have you never met her?"

"This is the first time I've seen her in my entire life."

"Will it also be the last?"

"Of course."

"Shall I tell the guards to cut this dance short and throw her away?"

"No. Don't cause a scene. Let's just let this dance ends peacefully and act like nothing dirty happened."

"Look how lustful your guests watch her. So much for trying to act good in front of you."

"Soojung-ah" the crown prince warned in a low tone, as the princess was famous in hating people with crooked hearts.

"They all come with their wives, for goodness sake! And yet look, they seem like they want to eat the dancer!"

"Not all of them" the crown prince denied, his head nodding to one direction as a signal, pointing the seven young men on his right side.

The birthday dinner was arranged in a circle of young merchants sitting behind a small table for two with their wives. On the crown prince's right side sat Sungjae and his six friends, who all opted to eat their desserts or chatted with their wives instead of looking at the dancer.

"So, good men were not just a myth?" the princess asked her husband.

"No."

The princess smiled. "Keep them close to you. They will make your complicated life bearable."

"I've been doing that for years now, although they preferred to keep their distance."

"Not just good men, but men who are afraid to mix in power war also exist?"

"Apparently they do."

"That's amazing. They sound amazing."

"They are."

"And I, I have found an amazing new friend as well."

"Really? Who might she be?"

"She's sitting on the third table from the front, on your right side."

The crown prince turned to the direction his wife mentioned.

"That's Yook Sungjae."

"And his wife is Park Sooyoung."

"..............you sound as if this is your birthday instead of mine."

"She is the smart friend I need in my life."

"Does she share the feeling?"

"I hope so."

"I congratulate you, then."

This conversation ended exactly when Kim Sowon's dance ended.

She bowed to the prince and princess, then turned to Sungjae and deliberately put her red silk shawl on top of his table.

The entire party was staring at the exchange.

All the men knew that the gesture meant, "Come to my bed tonight."

Sooyoung sat frozen. Her heart was burning with fury, but manners forced her to stay silent.

She didn't see it, but Princess Soojung suddenly stood up seeing that.

Without even looking up to see Kim Sowon (they all sat on top of a seating mattress on the ground), Sungjae picked the red shawl and gave it to Baekhyun, who was standing right behind him.

"Burn this in the lantern closest to you."

Also without a word, Baekhyun walked a few steps, opened the cover of a painted lantern nearest to him, and threw the shawl inside.

It was a humiliation as cruel as any men could give to a woman, and Sowon soon stood trembling with rage, tears streaming down her face, especially because she saw with her own eyes Sungjae pouring a cup of tea for his wife, then caressing her hand. "Drink up. You've seen something dirty."

For a few seconds, the atmosphere became tense and awkward.

Then someone laughed loudly, saying, "Omo, I've never been so entertained! This is like watching a theatrical drama!!!"

It was the princess, standing up and pulling the guests attention to herself.

"Guards, take that gisaeng in the red dress out of my sight!"

The guards obeyed, dragging Sowon away.

"Music! A merry tune, please!" the princess asked loudly.

The musicians immediately started, and people began chatting with each other.

It would then became the talk of the town, how a very seductive gisaeng had her eyes on Sungjae, but he refused the offer. All the first wives in the city wished they had husbands like him and congratulated Sooyoung's good fortune.

All the merchants who were present, except Sungjae's friends, all said how stupid he was for refusing the offer, and all went to find where this tempting gisaeng lived and when she had a free evening.

Princess Soojung only asked the guards to send Kim Sowon out of the palace. From that day onwards, she was banned to enter the palace.

But it was enough to get more rich clients for Sowon, although not the one she was obsessed the most.

She had tried everything, and Sungjae still refused, only for that one tall, pale woman who had nothing better than her!

Kim Sowon swore, she'd bed Yook Sungjae and kill Park Sooyoung in this life, or the next!

*******************************************************

"I didn't know you're that interesting for another woman" Sooyoung commented that night, after she fed Jae Young and changed to her sleeping hanbok.

"What matters is who I'm interested at."

"That interest better stays consistent, Sungjaenim."

"It will" he assured, kissing her cheek and lying down on the bed beside her.

"The length she pulled just to show you how much she wants you. Unbelievable."

"She's crazy, that's all."

Sooyoung stared at the ceiling of their bed.

Sungjae pulled her to his arms, nuzzling his nose on her cheek.

"Sleep well, my love. Worry about nothing, please. I'm yours."

Sooyoung smiled, patting his hand, before closing her eyes.

When Sungjae already fell asleep, she stared at the ceiling for a long time.

Sooyoung came to one resolution.

I want to meet that Kim Sowon. I want to talk to her, just once. I want to tell her that I'm not fine with her obsession on my husband. And I also want to hear her reason.

I must meet her. Just once.

*******************************************************

Author's Note:

Finally manage to finish this chapter after a long break TT______TT

I like Princess Soojung. How about you?

I hate Kim Sowon zomg.

Tell me what you think about the update? And what do you think will happen next?