Honey Water

Sarang Iyagi

It felt really warm, he mused, snuggling closer to the warmth. Smelled really good too. Ah, it would be nice if he could stay like this all day.

Wait, what?

Surprised, Sungjae opened her eyes.

He smelled wisteria flowers. That was the first thing he sensed.

It’s his habit to bury his head into his mattress and blanket when he woke up, just for a few more seconds of comfort.

His mattress felt strange that morning.

If he listened carefully, he heard a fast pat, pat, pat, pat.....

It took him three seconds to realize he was hearing a heartbeat. Someone’s heartbeat.

He jumped to a sitting position, flustered and shocked.

His wife lied beside him, her face was very pale and she was as still as a statue.

“G—good morning”

Sooyoung gulped and replied, “Good morning.”

“Are you alright?”

“Ne.”

“Mianhe. I—I’m not used to have someone else on my bed” he hurried to explain, and even he thought it sounded silly.

“I—I see.”

Dear Ancestors, how long did I lie on her chest?

Fighting the urge to facepalm, Sungjae got off the bed to pour himself a cup of water, and drank it in one go. Once he felt better, he brought a fresh cup to Sooyoung.

“Here. Have some water.”

Sooyoung sat up, bowed to him and drank it.

Before they had the chance to do anything else, they heard sounds at the doors.

It was the custom to lock the bedroom doors of newlyweds from the outside, in hope that they’d consummate their marriage on the wedding night.

The two were silent as Baekhyun, Taeyeon (Sooyoung’s maid) and the wedding ritual lady entered the room.

The latter looked satisfied enough to see them in their underclothes and the wedding robes in the carved railing beside the bed.

Taeyeon helped Sooyoung to get up from the bed, wore her outer wedding dress robe, then covered her from the head with a daily robe.

Sooyoung bowed to Sungjae, before leaving the room with Taeyeon.

It wasn’t Baekhyun’s habit to quiz his young master, and he acted like there was nothing different that morning than the night before. Besides, knowing him, Baekhyun was sure nothing much happened the previous night.

*****************************************************

It’s also the custom of that era to build the house of a wealthy person in two large divisions, for female and male. As the wife of the only son of the family, Sooyoung received her own large pavilion, consisted of several sitting rooms, her own kitchen, library, a park, and a small sub-pavillion for her own set of maids and servants.

During the walk to the said pavilion, Sooyoung said nothing, but she held Taeyeon’s arm tight.

“Is--everything alright, Agassi?”

Sooyoung only mumbled as an answer.

Sensing her young mistress didn’t want any conversations, Taeyeon didn’t push, and only held her hand until they arrived at the pavilion.

It’s the first time Sooyoung saw it, and she was struck with its beauty.

Although it was late autumn, the garden was beautiful with shades of dark green and golden from the various trees. There were rows of white and pink cosmos spread all over the park that surrounded her pavilion.

“It’s lovely, isn’t it?” Taeyeon asked.

Sooyoung nodded.

“They gave you six new maids and six new servants, with four guards to guard the entrance. And of course, I will be the head of servants.”

Taeyeon bowed to her exaggeratedly, obviously ecstatic with her status development.

Sooyoung could only giggle at her excitement.

“Shall we enter the house, Agassi?”

Sooyoung nodded, and together they entered her new house.

***************************************************

Yook family always had breakfast together at Madam Im’s pavilion, Sungjae’s mother.

He was waiting for her, and together they entered the large sitting room. His parents, sister and brother in-law were already there.

Sooyoung bowed to them and sat after her husband sat, beside him.

His family were smiling at her, especially Sungyoung, who looked really happy to have another girl in the family.

“Welcome to our family” Hyunseung greeted.

“Manhi gamsahamnida, Siabeoji (father in-law)”

“Don’t be nervous with us. I hope you could feel at home as soon as possible.”

“I’ll work hard, Sieommoni (mother in-law)”

Everyone was silent for several seconds, before chuckling at her response.

“Aigoo, Sooyoung-ah, will it be so hard to like your new home that you’ll work hard?” Im Jinah asked, mirth were glowing in her eyes.

“Aniyo, that’s not what I meant. Mianheyo, I—“

“Eomoni, jebal, don’t so early in the morning” Sungjae cut in, feeling sorry for Sooyoung who had to deny the statement with waving her hands in panic.

His family was all surprised at Sungjae’s attitude. To be honest, he was the worst prankster among them all.

“Very well, I will not tease your wife. Come, Sooyoung-ah, pour tea for your Sieommoni.”

Sungjae had a feeling Sooyoung would tremble so bad and spill tea all over his mother’s hanbok, so he snatched the nearest teapot and filled his mother’s cup.

“Tsk, I’ll do it for you. Why are we having so much ceremony, aish! Aren’t you all tired after yesterday? I am.”

His family was shocked with his reaction.

“Yah, Yook Sungjae, aren’t you too protective of your bride? Ommoni just asked for tea!” his noona exclaimed.

“I’m not being protective, I’m just hungry. If we’re done with the small talk, can we please start with breakfast?”

Her mom wanted to scold him for being too casual, but changed her mind, brushing the awkwardness with the wave of her hand.

“Ahrasseo. Then, let’s have breakfast.”

Breakfast in Yook family house would always have rice porridge, eggs and soup. The eggs that morning was made into yachaejon (vegetable pancake) and the soup was tofu soup, together with lots of side dishes.

Sooyoung waited until everyone around the table already had their first bite before she herself began eating.

When Sungjae listened to his father speaking, Sooyoung cut up his yachaejon with a clean porcelain spoon.

As his father talked to his mother, Sungjae said to Sooyoung, “You didn’t have to.”

“My mother always does that for my father.”

Sungjae was speechless for a second, before saying “Gomawo.”

Sooyoung nodded and feeling shy again, ate her porridge without saying another word.

When Sungjae’s father spoke to his son in-law, Sungjae wanted to reach the bowl of stir-fried seaweed, but it was too far for him.

Before his mother or Baekhyun could take it for him, Sooyoung beat them into it, standing up to reach the bowl and gently putting it in front of Sungjae, even laying some onto his bowl.

Sungjae was completely stunned.

In truth, it was really the custom in Sooyoung’s house. Her father was always served by her mother as he ate, barely moving a muscle at all.

Sooyoung naturally thought it was the custom in all houses in the kingdom, but she didn’t realize that Madam Im and Sungjae’s noona didn’t do it for their husbands.

“Why are you never that sweet to me?” Yook Sungyoung husband asked to his wife, earning an elbow from the said woman.

“But omo, don’t you think they’re the sweetest newlyweds ever?” she asked her husband.

For fear of disturbing his wife’s breakfast further, Sungjae focused to just eat the side dishes within his reach.

Still, when he finished his porridge, Sooyoung asked him in a tone that only he could hear, “Would you like more porridge, Sungjae-nim?”

“I’m full. Just eat peacefully, don’t mind me.”

However, as Sungjae turned to listen to his mother, Sooyoung laid down her spoon.

After everyone chatted for another ten minutes, Im Jin Ah said, “Sooyoung-ah, I need to tell you a few important things. Let’s walk together to Sungjae’s pavilion.”

Nodding, Sooyoung then stood up.

Madam Im of course led the way.

She then didn’t move until Sungjae walked first.

Only then, she began walking, keeping a half meter distance behind her husband.

Sungjae really thought she was too courteous, but said nothing.

Once they arrived at his pavilion, Madam Im entered straight to the largest sitting room in Sungjae’s pavilion.

Pulling up a chain from around her neck and under her outer vest, Madam Im then unlocked an ancient looking carved wooden cupboard.

Inside, Sooyoung saw what looked like a dozen wooden chests. Im Jin Ah opened one and Sooyoung saw that it was full of bronze coins.

“This is my son’s monthly budget. His whole treasury is next door. This is a book of the accounting of his monthly expenses, and this book is the total of his treasury.”

Madam Im then locked the cupboard, before swiftly moving to the room next door.

Sooyoung realized the room was locked from the outside with a medium sized lock. It opened with another key from Madam Im’s necklace.

Inside were rows after rows of chests full of bronze coins, gold bars, jewels (gems and jades, pearls and silver), the most important documents of family business that Sungjae had to hold, and silk in various colours.

Once Madam Im felt that Sooyoung already saw everything, they went out of the treasury again. Madam Im then locked the doors firmly, before giving the keys to Sooyoung.

“You hold these from now on. You need to give my son the amount he needs everytime he asks for it, but also you need to advice him to be frugal when you think he’s spending too much. Always carry the keys with you at all times, ahrasseo?”

Feeling as if she was dreaming, Sooyoung bowed and received the keys with both her opened hands.

“Next, it’s your duty to write letters to my son’s relatives whenever there is a birthday, a newborn, a wedding or a death. I will give you a list of all our relatives and also the details of our ancestry. It would be great if you can memorize them as soon as possible."

"If he has a meeting with business colleagues or friends, it’s your duty to provide the dishes, with the help of his maids. You need to control all his servants from now on, fire those who don’t work well, and hire new ones if you think it’s necessary."

"Breakfast is always together at my pavilion. Sungjae would work at our family’s office until lunch time. Then he would come home for lunch, and you must provide it here. Afterwards, dinner should be at your pavilion."

"When you both have children, they will live with you until they start their tutoring, of which they would have their own pavilions. Wherever you go, you need permission from my son. Whoever you invite must never enter your pavilion without my son’s permission. You are not allowed to receive any male guests, except the ones that are closely blood related to you, and there must always be a witness. And you are allowed to visit your parents’ house once a month."

"I think that’s basically all I need to tell you as a bride in this house. Do you have any questions?”

“Not yet, Sieommoni.”

“Aigoo, this child looks really depressed. I know how you feel. This is a huge household. I was only seventeen when I came here. You are older than me when I started, I’m sure you’ve learned and prepared more.”

I don’t think I’ve learned enough, or prepared enough, Sooyoung thought.

“You look like you’re going to faint” Madam Im commented in a worried tone, “Have I scared her, Adeul?”

“Yes, you have” Sungjae replied in an accusing tone.

“But I was just doing my duty as a mother in-law!”

“I’ll work hard, Sieommoni, I won’t let you down.”

“That’s a good girl. Omo, you do look like you’ll fall soon. I better leave you to my son, now. Adeul, take her for a walk at the park. Fresh air might help her.”

As Madam Im walked away, Sooyoung bowed lowly at her, and swayed as she stood straight again.

Taeyeon, who, with Baekhyun, was behind them all the time, leapt to her mistress, but Sungjae caught Sooyoung’s hand first.

“Cham. Ommoni is too much” he grumbled.

“Mianheyo. I’m fine.”

Not heeding what she said, Sungjae led her to the nearest stone chair.

“Get her some honey water.”

Taeyeon dashed to the kitchen.

“You, go get her a fan.”

Baekhyun disappeared, and returned carrying Sungjae’s paper fan.

Once Taeyeon returned with a tray of honey water in a pot, Sungjae said, “Leave us.”, as he helped fanning Sooyoung's face. She was sweating and her face was red, as if she was going to have a heat , despite the cool autumn weather. 

Baekhyun bowed in a fluid motion, but it was not that easy to dismiss Taeyeon. For the past years, whenever her mistress was not in a good condition, she would be the one beside her.

She stood defiantly, although staring at her own shoes.

“I said, leave us.”

Taeyeon looked up to see her mistress nodding at her, so she finally bowed and walked away.

In less than three seconds after Taeyeon left, Sooyoung dissolved into tears.

“I’ll never—be able—to be good w—wife—for you.”

“You will be. You already are.”

“This is too much. I—I won’t—“ she choked, gasping for air.

“Geumanhe. Breathe. Stop panicking. Just breathe.”

Sooyoung gripped the edge of the stone table beside her and fought to take a deep breath, before inhaling it, then repeating it.

“Why are you so rich, Sungjae-nim?”

“I don’t know. I’m sorry about that” Sungjae replied, somehow smiling as he said it.

“Your treasury—will be the death of me.”

“Don’t. Please live a long life.”

“I’ll try.”

“Aniya. You need to succeed.”

Sooyoung opened the lid of the pot full with honey water and took several spoonfuls.

“I need you to do several things” Sungjae announced, after thoughtfully watching her drink.

“What is it?”

“Don’t say you’re fine when you’re not.”

Sooyoung stopped drinking and looked up at him.

“Tell me you’re tired when you are. Tell me you don’t like something if that’s what you feel. Tell me you don’t want to when you really don’t want to do something. I don’t need an obedient doll as wife, I prefer if you express your mind. It will be a lot healthier for you.”

“........that Park Sooyoung is not that pretty, Sungjaenim.”

I don’t think you know how to not be pretty, Sooyoung-ssi.

“Jinjja? How is that Park Sooyoung? Tell me.”

“She—she’s stubborn. Unyielding. And—and noisy.”

“.........that Park Sooyoung sounds really interesting. Can I meet her?”

Sooyoung was at a loss for words, so she drank her honey water again.

“Be comfortable with me, Sooyoung-ssi.”

“This is only the second day I meet you, Sungjae-nim.”

“You’ll spend a lot of time with me. Try to see me as a—friend.”

“I don’t think that’s possible.”

“Why not?”

“You’re not my friend.”

“I can be your husband and friend at the same time.”

Sooyoung looked at him sceptically.

“Tell me, what do friends do together?”

“Friends play around. Talk a lot. Spend time in comfortable silence. And support each other.”

“See? Wouldn’t it be great if we’re married but friends as well?”

“I’ve never heard of something like that.”

“Well, now you have.”

Sooyoung was silent then, before she wore the gold chain of keys around her neck, slipping it under her vest.

“Will you learn to be friends with me, Sooyoung-ssi?”

After thinking it for a while, Sooyoung finally nodded.

“I will, Sungjaenim.”

It could be the honey water, or the way Sungjae pacified her. Regardless, Sooyoung felt calm again, and agreed to walk with Sungjae to see the other interesting parts of his house complex.

****************************************************

Author’s Note:

Because a cute couple deserves a cute story.

Thank you for reading this Joseon AU of mine.

Writing this makes me happy. I hope you’re as happy reading it.

Until next time.