Assassins

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 7

Assassins

Turns out, punishing the corrupted official didn’t take as long as Yixing and Luhan thought it would. They had arrived at the city undercover as travelers. There they split up and look for information and evidence on the official. They had found out that this official had taken many briberies from some rich families in the city to let their crimes slip by. He had also forcefully snatch young women from their families and blackmail them into marrying him. It wasn’t hard for the fearful citizens of the city to speak up when asked about the official’s crimes. Yixing and Luhan had mix in with the citizens as they observed the official tried a case on the city’s court. The poor family accused the son of the noble’s family for violating their daughter and causing her to suicide. The noble family said that it was not their son’s fault but rather the girl. They said the girl was lusting after their riches and so she seduce their son. The noble woman faked cry and make her way over to the official’s table. From where he’s standing, Luhan could see her sneak some gold onto the official’s desk and pushes it towards him. The official quickly slide the gold into his sleeves and nodded at the woman. The official stood up and slam his hand on the table, telling everyone to be quiet. He then judged the trial in the noble family’s favor, saying that it was the poor family’s daughter’s fault for seducing the noble’s son. It makes no sense for a noble’s son to want a poor girl, so she had definitely brought this upon herself. The poor family is guilty for trying to tarnished the noble family’s reputation, therefore, they must pay money to the noble family as consolation.

After hearing the ridiculous verdict, Yixing and Luhan jump out from the crowd. They didn’t announce their identity to the public. They only show their crest to the official, whom went pale after seeing it. The official immediately kneeled down and begging the two of them for forgiveness. He was so scared that he cried and almost pee in his pants. The corrupted officials recognized the royal crest immediately and he knows what it means to have the Royal Princes here. Before when some high ranking officials from the capital city came to inspect, he was able to evade them, tricked them or bribe them. However, now that the Royal Princes are here it means that his crimes has reached the Emperor’s ears. There was no safe way to get out of this. The official pale even more as he let it all sink in. Execution. He was going to be executed.

The citizens that were watching didn’t understand what was going on. They were a bit shock to see the evil official kneeling and begging in front of these two strangers. One of the two handsome stranger pull out his sword from its scabbard and place the blade against the official’s neck. The other one walk over to the main seat the official was sitting in earlier and sat down. He listed all the crimes the official had committed and asked if he had anything else to say. The official continues to beg for forgiveness as his face is a mess of snot and tears. Luhan nodded at Yixing. The Third Prince sliced the official’s neck in a quick swift movement then sheath his sword. Luhan stood up from the seat and address the now panic crowd. He assured them that the Emperor is aware of the corrupted official and they were sent here to relieve the people of the official’s evilness. The government will send over a new and better official for the city.

After taking care of their assigned task, Yixing and Luhan hopped on their horses and headed back towards the capital city. Everything had went by smoothly until they were unexpectedly ambushed by assassins as they were nearing the city. The two of them got off their horses and unsheath their swords to fight against the assassins. They were outnumbered but was still able to keep their grounds. Yixing could see that as one assassin goes down, two more shows up. This was obviously a well planned ambush. Even if their martial arts were good but being so outnumbered, how long will they last until their stamina runs out?

---

Tao was strolling along the road on his way to his master’s cottage when he heard the sounds of swords clashing in the distance. He quickly made his way towards the scene, careful not to reveal himself by hiding among the trees on the side of the road. From his position, Tao can see two well dressed men was fighting against a group of black-clothed men. The group of black-clothed men doesn’t look like bandits to Tao, so he figured they must be assassins who were sent to killed the two young men. They were clearly outnumbered and doesn’t look like they’ll last much longer. Tao doesn’t have any weapon with him but he wasn’t going to ignore the two men that needs help. Master Wong has told him to not meddle and get in unnecessary fights, but Tao thinks this one won’t classify as unnecessary.

---

Luhan quickly pull his sword from one of the assassin’s chest to block off an attack from another. From the corner of his eyes, Luhan could see one of the assassin sneaking up on Yixing as his third brother was busy fending off two other assassins. He was about to warn his brother when out of nowhere a man came rushing in and kicked the sneaky assassin. Luhan noticed the new guest didn’t dress like the assassins and was helping them to fight against the assassins. Luhan didn’t have the time to think further about the new unannounced guest as two more assassins rush towards him.

As the three of them continues to fight off the assassins. As their number thin down, an arrow was shot out from within the bushes on the opposite side of the road where Tao was hiding earlier. Yixing yells out “Er ge!” as the arrow grazed Luhan’s right arm. The surprised flared of pain caused Luhan to drop his sword. The assassin he was fighting saw the chance and move in for a finishing blow. Luckily, the stranger that was helping them made it in time to block the assassin’s sword from cutting into Luhan with a sword he had picked up from one of the dead assassins. He finished off the assassin with a stab to the heart as another arrow shot out. He quickly throw the sword in his hand like a spear towards the direction the arrow was coming from. They heard a cry of pain and the sound of a body hitting the ground. Yixing finished off the last of the assassins then rushed over to Luhan.

Er ge, are you alright?” Yixing asked.

“Yeah, somewhat. How about you?” Luhan asked in return as he take a quick look over Yixing to see if there was any injury. Yixing nodded then quickly tear off a piece of his shirt to wrap up Luhan’s bleeding arm.

“Wait” The stranger said causing both the Princes to look over at him. He quickly rushed to the side of the road and pulled up some weed looking plant by the base of a tree. He then picked up two palm sized rock and crushed the plant in between them. After grinding up the plant, he walk back to the two waiting Princes and pull up Luhan’s arm to place the crushed plant on the wound. “You can wrap it up now, the plant will help to stop the bleeding and ease some pain.”

“Thank you for your help. Without it, we’re not sure how much longer we would have lasted” Yixing said as he warp up Luhan’s arm.

“My name is Han, and this is Xing my younger brother. Sincerely thank you for saving us. May we ask for your name so that we can repay you?”

“No need. If you two are heading to the capital city then you better hurry before night fall” the stranger said then point towards Luhan’s injured arm, “Get that check out by a physician.” Having finished what he wanted to say, the stranger make his way across the road towards to forest.

Luhan and Yixing watches as the man that helped them disappears within the trees. They truly wanted to thank him but it didn’t seem like he wanted to be bothered. They could only hope that fate will let them meet him again.

 


Author's Notes:

Double Update! Please check the previous chapter if you haven't already done so.