A Broken Promise

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 6

A Broken Promise

Luhan and Yixing was making their way to the Emperor’s Study Chamber when they turn a corner and saw Yifan a couple steps in front of them.

“Greetings Crown Prince” Luhan and Yixing bow to Yifan when he turned around to see who was behind him.

He nodded, acknowledging their greetings “Did Royal Father also summoned the two of you?”

“Yes, do you know what it might be about?” Luhan asked.

Yifan shook his head and walk in pace with his two brothers. Since he did not attend the court meeting this morning, Yifan didn’t know what the Emperor might have in store for them.

When the three of them made it through the door, they kneeled down and bow to Emperor Taizao. He waved off their greetings and handed Yifan a report from his desk.

“I need you to take a look into the recruiting process of the Royal Guards, this morning I’ve received some reports on possible bribery of high ranking generals” Taizao said as Yifan looks through the report.

Taizao took another report off his desk and handed it to Luhan and Yixing “The two of you need to go to Tianjin City and check if the reports on the official that was stationed there is corrupted is true. If it is so, execute immediately.”

“Yes, Royal Father!” the three of them bow slightly and replied to the Emperor’s order. Taizao waved them out and returned to the pile of reports on his desk.

---

A long line of people was formed in front of Official Zhang’s residence. The line was made up of poor and homeless people of the city as they wait for their turn to pick up their share of the food and supplies given out by the Zhang family. Usually, the Zhang sisters would stand out front and participated in passing out the food but there was no sight of them today.

Zhang Jihao scrunched his nose as he walk by the line of people towards his uncle’s residence. He gave the poor people a disgusted look as he tried to not walk too near to them. Zhang Jihao is the only son of General Zhang Ziyuan, so he was raised in luxury and taught to uphold himself as a noble since young. He doesn’t understand why his uncle and cousins continues to do these kind of charity event. He see no value in helping these people. As he near the front of the line an old men that was standing in line clutched his chest and fell in front of Jihao. Instead of putting out his arms to catch the falling old man, Jihao jumps backward to avoid being touch. He took a good look at the fallen old man in front of him. Disgusted by how dirty the old man is, he spits at the old man and stepped over him to continue his way towards his uncle’s front door.

“Stop!” Jihao stop in his track as he heard a familiar sound call out. He looks up see his two cousin rushing out from the front door of their house.

“Yueyin! Meiyin! It’s been awhile.” He greeted them joyfully. He waved at them as he continues to make his way towards them. Meiyin put out a hand to block him moving any further and Yueyin rushed pass him to the old man. Jihao looks down at Meiyin’s extended hand in front of him and asked “What’s the meaning of this Meiyin?” sounding a bit angry. Meiyin just glares at him.

“Sir, are you alright?” Yueyin knelt down to help the fallen old man sit up as some house workers rush forward to help her keep him up. The old man just shook his head lightly, still dizzy but not wanting to bother the kind young miss. Yueyin noticed that his eyes are still not quite focus. She fed him some water from the cup that one of the house servants just brought over to them. As his breathing even out a bit, she used her handkerchief to wipe away Jihao’s spit from the man’s clothes. She stood up and instructed her house workers, “Take him to a physician to have him check up.”

After making sure the two house worker was able to carry the old man without stumbling, Yueyin turns around to face Jihao who has been observing her helping the old man. The look of disgust still evident on his face. “Jihao, that was extremely rude of you” Yueyin said to him.

“Rude? Me? He should be thankful I didn’t punished him for almost dirtying my clothes!” Jihao shouted at her. He then noticed more and more people started to look his way, so he turn back towards the front door direction and push Meiyin’s arm aside. “Just move already so I can go inside!”

Meiyin quickly sweep kick Jihao’s legs, causing him to faceplant on the ground. “Dear cousin, you’re not welcome in our house today” she said as she dust her hands.

Jihao held his bruised nose as he got off the ground. He’s burning with anger at Meiyin for daring to embarrassed him in front of so many people, but he knows better than to fight Meiyin. For a son of a top general, Jihao didn’t excell at martial arts. He was also spoiled and lazy so his studies didn’t get anywhere. He had already failed the Imperial Exams twice. He was famous for being drunk and being a womanizer. His father is a high ranking general so he’s always on the battlefield and not at home to discipline his son. The only thing Jihao got going for him was his good looks from the Zhang family genes.

Jihao curses and walk away, knowing that he won’t win against Meiyin in a fight. Meiyin watches Jihao walk away, satisfied. Yueyin let out a sigh and instructed the house workers to continue with the charity event.

Meiyin joined the house workers in helping to pass out the supplies. Yueyin look down the road that Jihao walked towards earlier. She frown, remembering about his attitudes. She knew her aunt spoils him rotten, but didn’t think he’ll be this horrible. She make a mental note to mention it with her father so that he can bring it up to her uncle when they meet.

---

Two days later General Zhang returned to the city from another battle. His wife and son welcomed him home with a teary face. Unfortunately, it wasn’t purely from happiness seeing him home safely. They told him that his elder brother’s family looks down on them and bully them when he’s not home. He didn’t believe them at first because he knew that his two nieces were very well behaved and mannered children. He didn’t believe them because he knew his brother wasn’t that kind of man. But he couldn’t help but let out a bit of anger when he saw his son’s bruised nose. Without changing out of his armor, he hopped back on his horse and make his way towards his brother’s house.

Zhang Ziyuan stormed his way through his brother’s house looking for him. The maids and house workers were too afraid of him to speak up so they just tried their best to stay out of his path. He finally made his way into Weimin’s study room.

Weimin looks up from his book in surprise at the sudden unannounced intrusion. “Ziyuan? When did you returned?” Weimin asked as he stood up from his chair to make his way over to his brother.

“Just now.”

Noticing Ziyuan’s strain tone, Weimin asked “What’s wrong? Did the battle not go well?”

Ziyuan sat down in one of the chair by the round table in the center of the room. “I just came home to hear about my family being ill-treated. Do you know anything about this Da ge?”

“Ill-treated? Have you really clarify who was ill-treated?” Weimin knew what Ziyuan was talking about immediately because Yueyin just told him what happened yesterday. He pour Ziyuan a cup of tea and placed it in front of him.

Weimin was about to explain to Ziyuan what happened when Meiyin suddenly burst into the room, “Uncle Ziyuan! Welcome back!”

Ziyuan laugh upon seeing his favorite niece, “Meiyin! It’s been awhile. Did you grown again?”

“I’m as tall as Jiejie now” she beams at him as she makes her way behind him and start massaging his shoulders.

“Meiyin, behave” Weimin reminded her.

“It’s alright ge, don’t be jealous that she’s so happy to see me.” Ziyuan said then turn to Meiyin and asked “Meiyin, there’s something I want to ask you. Tell uncle the truth, did you pick on your cousin, Jihao?”

Meiyin pouted, “I didn’t pick on him uncle. Jihao ge was so mean to a sick old man that Jiejie and I have to step in to stop him.” She began re-telling him what happened in details. “I’m sorry I kicked Jihao ge...but uncle you have to punished him for being so mean and rude. I was so worried that he would tarnish your reputation if he keeps going so I have to act quickly.” Meiyin knew her uncle was a man that cares a lot about his reputation, so she hit where she thought would turn his anger around towards his son.

“Is that what happened?” Ziyuan thought for a bit then said “Alright, I’ll punished him for his behaviors. But Meiyin, you shouldn’t be going around and hitting people. If you don’t behave like a girl how will you get marry?” Ziyuan .

“Uncle! You’re mean!” she said then ran out of the room.

“This problematic child comes and goes like the wind” Weimin shakes his head at his daughter. “Now that the matter regarding your Jihao is clear, how was the battle?” Weimin asked his brother, turning the conversation away from the incident before Ziyuan realized that his son being beaten by a girl in public is also humiliating and negative towards his reputation.

“It was another easy win. How can we not win when I was leading the army?” Ziyuan replied confidently. “ Tomorrow when I report to the Emperor, I will request to start another battle to expand towards the west.”

Weimin kept quiet at his younger brother’s enthusiasm about war. He took a sip from his teacup then said “Ziyuan, I think maybe you should slow down. I understand that for a General, war is necessary but the people around the battle zone will suffer. The people in the cities will also suffer as they have to help provide food and supplies for the armies. They barely make enough to take care of their own family.”

Ge, you worry too much. If we finish conquering all the lands, there’ll be no more need for the people to suffer. All of their sacrifices now is for a brighter future. Ge, You need to see the bigger picture.”

Weimin kept quiet again. He doesn’t know what to say to stop his brother from being so overconfident. How can Ziyuan not see the sufferings of the people? How can any unnecessary sacrifice be a worthy sacrifice? Weimin remembered that he had asked his brother what his goal was, but Ziyuan never gave him an answer.

“Ziyuan, I hope you still remember our promised to mother.”

Ziyuan laugh as he stood up to leave, “Hasn’t that promised already been broken? Don’t you remember who you are today, Official Zhang?” Ziyuan emphasized on Weimin’s title. Ziyuan laugh loudly as he walk out the door. Weimin can still hear Ziyuan’s laughter down the hall way. He gripped his hand tightly around his teacup until his fingers turned white.