Cheeky, Sweety

Young Love

Lovers do find comfort in each other.

As Sungjae and Joy.

After the horribly difficult day, they sat together at the back of Red Velvet’s van, silently holding hands. Eunkwang, BtoB’s manager and the lawyer said they’d go first to CUBE. No one bothered to ask where Seungjae would go. It was a matter of course that he’d follow Joy to her dorm.

The other members fell asleep in the car, exhausted after the emotional event.

Joy was sitting motionless, looking out the window. It was dark, since it was nearly 1 AM. It was raining as well.

Seungjae didn’t say anything the whole ride. He never let go of her hand as well.

************************************************

After changing, Yeri moved to her unnie’s room. Words were unnecessary. They all knew the lovers would need to be together.

“Would you like supper, Oppa?”

Sungjae shook his head.

Joy then moved to her wardrobe, and rummaged until she could find an oversized t-shirt that could fit him. She also found a lose pants and gave it to him.

Sungjae was sitting very silently on her bed.

When she moved to mechanically reached her skincare products, she heard a “Sooyoung-ah. Come here for a minute.”

Joy came as she was bid.

Sungjae pulled at her wrist. She moved closer still.

Her stomach blocked his vision.

He pulled again, grabbed at the fabric of her shirt, and leant his head on her tummy.

“Can we stay like this for a minute?” he asked.

Joy’s tears fell again.

He pulled away, and tugged at her wrist, making her sat down on the bed.

“........can I stay here tonight? I—just want to hold you.”

To be honest, even if Sungjae wanted to return to his dorm that night, Joy would do anything to stop him.

So grateful that he thought alike with her, she nodded.

Sungjae took off his suit and shoes, before lying down on her bed, his hand pulling her down with him.

Once she lied down beside him, he slipped his hands around her waist, pulling her further until she lied on top of him.

“I thought I was going to lose you” he confessed, his cracked voice sounding too loud in the otherwise silent room.

Her tears dropped into his cheeks.

“I’m sorry, Oppa. I’m so sorry.”

Sungjae wiped her tears with his fingers.

“Don’t say sorry. I’d do more to be with you.”

Joy choked and lied on his chest, sobbing uncontrollably.

When her cried subsided, she then fell asleep. Sungjae lied awake for some time afterwards. She had snuggled to lie beside him, their heads on one pillow.

A couple of hours later, he realized he was snoring really loud, so he moved to Yeri’s bed, covered himself with the bedcover in hope to not sound so loud, and went back to sleep.

When he woke up near dawn, he discovered that Joy had followed him to Yeri’s bed.

Giving up trying to protect her ears from his loud snoring, he looked at Joy’s sleeping figure.

“No, the tone should be higher than that.”

He froze.

Did she just—talk in her sleep?

Are you dreaming of a vocal practice?

He chuckled at the realization, touching at her fringes and pulling the hair that was covering her forehead behind her ear.

He then proceeded to watch her sleep until he himself fell asleep again.

When she woke up in the morning, she looked surprised to find him beside her, looking fondly at her. Before she was fully awake, he already smiled and caught her lips with his. Joy had the surreal feeling of half dreaming, like she was floating between reality and the sleeping world.

Her hands flailed in the air and Sungjae caught them, slipping his fingers between hers.

“Good morning” he greeted, before sweeping back down, massaging her lips with his own.

It was a good morning indeed.

************************************************

Days went by into weeks.

Then into months.

As they both got busier, they realized that the non-disclosure contract between Sungjae and S.M. Entertainment was a lot more dramatic than their real life.

Sungjae was right, when two people wanted it, time could be arranged to meet.

Not that it was easy.

They were both busy. When he had free time, she had to work. When she had a free day, he had to work.

Finally, they stopped wishing for a full free day to be together, and just seek for the time of the week where they both had several hours free.

Just to meet for a few hours weekly was better than a full day every once a month.

Sungjae visitied Red Velvet’s dorm so regularly that Irene began to prepare a sixth set of cutlery whenever she knew the group had a half free day.

**************************************************

Having only a few hours together per week when you’re both so in love was not easy. But what were also challenging were the dating rumours with other people that somehow hung around them.

One afternoon, as they had lunch together before Joy had to run again to S.M. building, her phone suddenly vibrated and she reached it to read a message.

“Is that one of your one million fanboys texting you?”

Joy looked up from her phone then frowned. “What? What fanboy?”

“I don’t know, Joyie. You tell me. Was that your Chanyeol Oppa or my traitorous friend Taehyung?”

“.........what have you been hearing lately???”

“That the number of your celebrity fanboys are increasing, and some are so crazy about you they don’t care that you’re actually not single anymore.”

Joy stared at him.

“I don’t know, Oppa. It’s not like I can tell people that I’m taken, right? I can’t really blame people to approach me.”

“.........yah. Are you acting like you’re single out there?”

She chuckled mischievously.

“Ah, waeeeeeeee? When do I have time to be a player? All I do is just work, sleep, work, sleep. I have no time for anyone else!”

“Really, though. Be honest with me. How close are you with your Chanyeol Oppa?”

“He’s not my Chanyeol Oppa. We’re just a same-agency friends, that’s all.”

Sungjae stared suspiciously at her.

“Jeongmal?”

“Of course! Chanyeol Oppa would praise us after we release a new song or when we perform well at a live performance. Besides, he’s closer with Seulgi. It’s Seulgi who always text with him.”

Joy then resumed eating her pasta.

“How about Taehyung?”

“V BTS? You introduced him to me as a friend!”

“I know, but I just recently heard that he really likes you.”

“Well, we often met each other backstage on music shows and he often greeted me.”

“Did he or did he not ask for your number?”

“.....he asked my number to my manager. I think it was on our debut year.”

“Did he ever text you?”

“Never.”

“Really?”

“Really, Oppa! Cham! Why are you interrogating me when you’re the one who have more dating rumours than I do?”

Sungjae waved his hand to dismiss the issue.

“Because useless rumours are just that. Useless.”

“If I interrogate you, it will be a long one.”

“Ask away! I’m right here beside you!” he challenged.

“How about Kim Namjoo from aPink? A lot of people said you dated.”

“She’s just a good friend.”

“That’s it?”

“That’s what it is.”

“How about Im Jin Ah Unnie? Or Nana from After School?”

“That’s a really ridiculous rumour. The only thing I ever did was say that she would be a perfect noona. Somebody spread the dating rumour out of basically nothing. And when I said noona, I meant a real noona, because we kinda look alike.”

“Then what about Seolhyun AOA?”

“We only met on music shows and talk shows.”

“..........how do I know you’re telling the truth or not?”

“I never dated since I debuted, Sooyoung-ah. The last time I dated was back in high school!”

“Alright. What about Kim Sohyun then? People said you guys were dating after the drama ended.”

“We’re just friends, aigoo! We played a drama together and had lots of scenes together. But that’s it.”

Joy still stared at him suspiciously.

“What’s that look, aigoo, are you going to poison me or something?”

“You’re too nice to girls, Oppa. Smiling to everyone and acting cute. No wonder noonas fell for you!”

“Excuse me? You! You either do too much aegyo or dance too ily. Do you realize how many guys drool at you whenever you perform?”

“I only do what I have to do! When I’m dancing, I’m working!”

“And so do I! Honestly, if I didn’t join WGM, I’d still be single now, because I just have no time for girls!”

“And you, Oppa, do you think I have any time for boys? What do I care if guys drool when I dance? I dance because I’m Red Velvet!!!”

“..............”

They both then became quiet, attacking their pasta much too violently to be considered healthy.

When he had his last bite, Joy snatched his plate then got up, nearly banging the dishes on the sink.

It sounded so loud, until even Wendy asked from her room, “Is there something wrong?”

“IT’S NOTHING!!!” Joy screamed, making Sungjae jumped.

Without thinking, he suddenly realized he was already standing beside Joy in the kitchen.

Wordlessly, he reached for the wet plate, drying it with a cloth.

“I really never dated since I debuted. I was always so busy trying to make my group more well-known” he informed, hoping she’d stop her murderous mood.

“And I, I have really never dated anyone.”

“Until you met this awesome guy.”

Joy banged the dish-washing gloves to the counter.

“Omo, are you getting violent?”

“Don’t talk to me. I don’t know you.”

Maybe it was unwise, but Sungjae grinned at that.

Joy was the cutest when she’s angry, always.

“It’s ok. Oppa knows you.”

Joy was going to stalk off and sulk, yet he caught her wrist before she even stepped away.

She refused to look at him, but he smiled, watching her fondly.

She looked away, but he pinned her on the counter, his hands on either sides of her.

“Get off” she said, too weakly for him to follow.

“Shiro.”

“Tsk.”

“You’re cute.”

She pushed him away, but he wouldn’t budge.

“You’re really my first boyfriend” Joy grumbled.

“I know. Sometimes it’s so hard to believe, even for myself.”

“Well you have to believe me, if not, who else would you believe?”

“Ahrasseo, Oppa will trust you.”

“Stop playing a cool Oppa. It’s not that cool.”

“Jinnja?”

“Ne.”

“Then why are you blushing?”

“Be—because you’re standing too close. I—leave me—“

He held her cheeks and bent down—to only hear the shriek of someone behind him.

They both turned to the same direction.

It was Yeri. She saw them almost kissing, then sprinted to the bathroom.

He groaned, but not moving away.

“How about if we meet at my own place?”

“.........you have your own place?”

“Appa bought me an apartment when I turned 20. I never used it because I want to live with hyungdeul. But maybe I should start using it with you. Just so we can have a place to see each other with privacy.”

Joy stared at him.

“If......you’re ok with it, we can start meeting there next week.”

“..........I’ll think about it”

“Ahrasseo. Start preparing to go. It’s almost 3 PM. You said you need to be at S.M. for rehearsal at 3.30”

When he’s done speaking, he stole a brief peck on the lips before leaving the kitchen.

A minute later, as Yeri walked back to the unnie’s room, she saw Joy was still standing motionless, leaning on the kitchen counter.

Ugh, that cheeky Oppa!

Joy huffed, before walking to her room to get her bag, and to send one cheeky Oppa back to work.

*********************************************

Author’s Note:

It’s easier to read than the previous chapter, right?

Something bad happened tonight, so I need a distraction to lighten up my mood.

I hope you like the update.

Please comment if you do!

See you soon.