-2-

You Bring Out The Worst In Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene hurries and eats her breakfast. Her father is reading the adult book again but he's also eyeing Irene from the corner of his eye. "Rushing today, are we?" Mr. Bae asks. Irene nods and slips her plate into the sink and puts on her shoes, wears her sweater, grabs her backpack, and rushes out the door. Mr. Bae sips his tea calmly as he watches her run out the door.

Irene runs past the empty basketball court, past the highschool kids her age, she runs past everything she wished she had in Korea and straight to school. Daniel was waiting for her under a cherry blossom tree with his hands in his pocket and a straight face. Irene reaches to him and pants, her hands on her knees. Daniel rubs his nape. "Seulgi says she wants to see you again. She says that you're nice," Daniel told Irene with a goofy grin. Irene smiles unconsciously. "Oh really? It was nice meeting her too," Irene said, smiling despite her tired state.

Daniel shrugs. "She's probably just smitten with you." Irene chuckled. The two walk into their school, chatting about random highschool things. Of course, the whole school is shocked, thinking that they're both dating. Rumors spread around the school and gossip is heard from corner to corner. Daniel and Irene decide to act as if they are dating for the sake of figuring out the mystery of the picture Irene has of her and another girl.

"I don't think that's my sister.... she seems so.... normal," Daniel said while inspecting the picture. Irene furrows her eyebrows. "Just because she's mentally ill, it doesn't mean she's not normal," Irene told Daniel while taking the picture out of Daniel's hand. Daniel shrugs. Irene sighs. They were walking to class casually, smiling to other students that were staring at them holding hands. Irene was not very comfortable while holding Daniel's hand but Daniel looked like he didn't even want to touch Irene so Irene shrugged it off. "Yes but.... this was taken at a school, right?" Daniel asked Irene. Irene shrugged again, indicating that she has no idea.

"From what I know, Seulgi has never made any friends," Daniel said, frowning. Irene raised an eyebrow. "But that's only what you know. What if she did make friends?" Irene inquired. Daniel groaned and gave the picture back to Irene.

"I don't know anymore. Can we solve this later?" Daniel asked. Irene rolled her eyes and the two went off their separate ways, but they bid goodbye like a couple with cheesy compliments and an awkward kiss (except Irene's lips didn't even touch Daniel's cheek). Irene walked to her desk and groaned. Students were gossipping and stealing glances from Irene. But Irene's biggest regret about this decision was how Krystal bragged about it to everyone.

"MY FRIEND HAS A BOYFRIEND! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" Krystal exclaims loudly, shrieking and hugging Irene. Many students took pictures and recorded the scene with their phones. Irene groaned and pushed Krystal away. "Jeez, got off of me!" Irene told Krystal and Krystal grinned widely.

"I knew that you would find a boy you liked!" Krystal said. Irene chuckled. If only she knew. "How is he like? Is he sweet and caring, or dominant and brave? I heard that he used to be a delinquent!" Irene raised an eyebrow. 

"Oh my gosh, I am so proud of you! Call me when you two kiss!" Krystal told Irene, holding both of Irene's hands. Irene chuckled nervously and nodded. "Y-yeah... sure..," Irene replied awkwardly. She doesn't plan on kissing Daniel anytime soon. Irene looked around her classroom and at all the students recording and taking pictures of them. "Okay Krystal, you can stop now...," Irene muttered. Krystal looked around the classroom and laughed.

"Sorry, I was just so proud of you," Krystal told Irene apologetically. Irene smiled and the teacher came in, slapping the desk with a bunch of worksheets and the whole class groaned. 

School .

"H-hey babe.........," Daniel said to Irene, waving awkwardly. Daniel's eye was literally twitching and he had the most awkward smile ever. He tried his best to look convincing but he just looked hilarious to Irene. "Stop it," Irene told Daniel and slapped his arm. Daniel groaned. "I hate this...," Daniel muttered.

Daniel was walking with Irene to lunch. Of course, Daniel had to introduce Irene to his friends. "Woah! I didn't know that you were hooking up with Irene when we weren't together!" Baekhyun exclaimed. Daniel's face turned red from embarrassment. Baekhyun snickered along with Daniel's other friends, Song Mino and Choi Minho. "I.. uh... yeah..," Daniel replied, smiling nervously. Irene giggled. Mino grinned.

"Have you two... you know.... kissed yet?" Mino asked. Daniel's eyes widened and he spit out his orange juice on the table. He apologized and wiped the mess with napkins. Daniel groaned. "No, we didn't! We'll tell you when we do!" Daniel tells Mino. Mino raises an eyebrow and has a smirk glued on his face. Minho giggles mischievously. After that awkward conversation, classes started again. But the thing that Irene less expected most was Seulgi being in her next class, art. 

When Irene entered her class and immediately looked at a pair of monolid eyes, Irene's b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter