-4-

You Bring Out The Worst In Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To be completely honest, Irene had no idea what to do next. She lays around in bed and walks around her mansion, not sure of what to make of her day. She knows that she's wasting time on her life but she really doesn't know what to do! She already hung out with Seulgi yesterday, she hangs out with Daniel a lot already, Krystal is kind of annoying (with her constant blabbering about Kai that Irene does secretly know why Kai never hits her up but shuts up about it) and... her dad is never home. 

Irene just wants quality time with somebody. And Irene, being the good kid she is, never goes out to party (she's underage anyways and she's read the teen fiction books to know what might happen). Suddenly, a thought pops into Irene's head while she's daydreaming and laying on her bed.

Maybe what I really need is quality time with myself..., she thinks to herself. Irene decides to hop onto her laptop and to search the web for something new. Like maybe a recent Red Velvet comeback she missed or maybe one of the members starred in a drama that she didn't watch. Irene was whistling some beats she made up in her head and suddenly stumbled upon an article that talked about a car accident involving the death of a K-Pop idol. Irene furrowed her eyebrows. "Kim... Taehyung?" Irene closed her laptop.

"Self quality time ruined," Irene whispers to herself, recovering from the shock of such news. Well, he died a few years back, so Irene wasn't entirely shocked. Suddenly, Irene's phone starts ringing. Irene checks the user ID and a smile starts creeping onto her lips. A familiar Kang Seulgi appears on her phone as Irene hurries and answers it, her heart beating fast.

Irene ran as fast as her short legs could take her. She was panting heavily but she didn't want to let her girl down. Seulgi was standing in front of Daniel's car in the parking lot of a mall. Daniel was inside the car, on his phone. "You're finally here!" Seulgi exclaims, running to hug Irene. Irene's heart skipped a beat. She was panting and from Seulgi's warmth, she literally stopped breathing. Seulgi was grinning widely and she finally inspected Irene's expression. 

Panting, flushed red, and sweaty. "Oh... did you run all the way here?! Why didn't you ask for a ride?" Seulgi exclaimed in a more concerned tone. "Irene...!!" Seulgi rushed inside Daniel's car for a water bottle. Irene is more confused on as to why Daniel even has a car. But as a popular person in high school with wealthy parents, of course their children would have cars. 

"Here!" Seulgi yelled as she jogged towards Irene with a water bottle. Irene smiled. "Thanks!" Irene thanked Seulgi as she took the water bottle, subtly making skin contact. Irene felt butterflies in her stomach, nervous and shy. Daniel finally hopped out of his car and inspected the scene.

"That's cute," Daniel commented. Irene choked on her water, causing Seulgi to step back and squeal in a defensive position. Daniel laughed and the trio started walking beside the adjacent cars and down the parking lot towards the mall. "When did you arrive?" Daniel inquired, stuffing his huge hands in his pants pockets. Irene checked the time and shrugged. Daniel nodded in response. Irene felt the awkwardness and could always feel a constant tug from Seulgi on the other side.

"Irene! You know, now that I look at it, you're always free! I thought you would be a princess because of how rich you were but I guess you're just like me and Daniel!" Seulgi states in a carefree manner. Irene gulps nervously. I'm only free because you ask me to, Irene wanted to say, but she knew that she couldn't. After all, it's Seulgi she's talking about. A cute, bubbly girl. They finally reach the entrance of the mall and Daniel opens the door for the two girls.

"You know, that's what I was always wondering," Irene suddenly spills her thoughts. "Daniel, how come you're always free?" Daniel doesn't reply right away but he makes eye contact with Irene. 

"Well, same as you, Irene," Daniel replies vaguely. Seulgi doesn't quite understand the conversation as Irene tries to comprehense his answer. Why is Daniel suddenly being so mysterious? What's with his demeanor today, sheesh? "Stop talking so smartly, you two! I can't understand!" Seulgi exclaims, lowering the tension between Irene and Daniel. Daniel chuckles.

"I get it, sister," Daniel replies in a teasing tone. Seulgi giggles and the trio walk around the mall. Unfortunately for Irene, despite being a very, very rich girl, did not bring any money. How could she be so stupid? She really did rush to see Seulgi, didn't she? Daniel, though, always a very prepared man, brought money. Irene just wonders how Daniel is always so prepared and smart. Daniel bought food for the trio and the three chatted about their daily life. Seulgi talks about life in an asylum. Sometimes she wonders if she's really mentally ill when she sees the other patients inside the asylum. Daniel speaks about his life as a wealthy boy. He has a friendly relationship with his parents but, of course, they always go to work and business trips so he's learned to be more independent from his family. Irene realizes how much the Kangs' lives relate to her.

"I'm basic just like you two. I'm rich and I... don't have a mother." A small gasp comes from Seulgi. "My relationship with my father isn't very.. healthy. And um, my best friends all have boyfriends and stuff like that." Daniel sips his soda, unfazed. Seulgi looks at Irene with pity but there's something else in Seulgi's eyes that Irene can't quite decipher.

"Don't worry. We're all basic people trying to solve a complicated case," Daniel concludes. But he glances at his sister. "Except you, Seulgi. You're not as basic! You live in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter