Visiting Connections.

Midnight Blue

Woohyun strolled leisurely down the stone walkway that s through the town center, humming quietly to himself, oblivious to the countless stares pointed his way. He needed to lift his spirits after Myungsoo had so rudely shut him out of the house. He'd never done anything like that before, and to add insult to injury, it seemed to be because of the human boy he was keeping. Nonetheless, Woohyun would take a few days to clear his head and formulate a plan to renew his welcome, then he would return and win Myungsoo back from that pesky little human.

His stomach flip-flopped and he groaned, clutching at it and turning into the next eatery he could find.

It was a cozy little place with outdated decor and poor lighting. There were a few booths around the perimeter of the dining space, and a bar situated in the center. Woohyun slid into a stool, waving over the bartender and ordering an Old Fashioned. Very fitting for the setting, he mused.

His eyes wandered around the place while he waited for his drink. There was nobody else at the bar, and only one booth was occupied. Two men sat opposite each other. One had a boyish face and wore a white collared shirt and a black vest and apron, probably a waiter. The other had sharp features in more casual attire. Out of boredom, he tuned in on their conversation.

"What if he's decided to go off the grid for good?" The boy asked worriedly.

"He wouldn't do anything like that without letting us know first."

"How can you be so sure? He's already been gone for three weeks, and in all that time he's only written twice!"

"I'd imagine couriers only manage to get mail beyond the city once a week. It's just too far out of the way. Besides, you know Sungyeol always puts family first. He'll heal up out there and be back before you know it."

Woohyun's ears perked at the mention of Sungyeol. The bartender served his drink and he slid a few bills across the counter, scooping up his glass and striding over to the booth. Both men looked up at him, confused, as he approached. He flashed a wide smile and greeted them first, "Afternoon, gentlemen. I don't mean to be nosy, but I couldn't help but hear you mention a Sungyeol?"

The sharp-eyed man looked wary. "You've met him?"

"Indeed, indeed! I happen to be visiting my old friend at his cabin in the woods for a few days, and Sungyeol's staying there as a guest."

The waiter lit up at this. "Please, have a seat! I'm his cousin and I've been worried sick about him. You wouldn't mind sparing a few minutes to tell us more, would you?" He asked hopefully.

Woohyun slid into the booth next to him. "Of course. Though I must admit, I haven't spoken to him much at all." He sipped his drink. "I'm Woohyun, by the way. And you are?"

"Sungjong. And this is Hoya. He's Sungyeol's best friend." The waiter gestured as he introduced them, then leaned in closer to Woohyun. "Is Sungyeol doing well? How's his leg? Does it seem like he might be able to return soon?"

"He seems well, but he's been hopping around for the couple of days I've been there. I'm sure he could make it back to the city with an , though."

"What a relief!" Sungjong sighed, slumping back into the leathery booth cushion.

Hoya looked at Woohyun head-on. "Is there any way we'd be able to go to him? You said it's your friend's cabin, right? We could go and pick him up ourselves, if you bring us there."

Woohyun laughed awkwardly. "Ah, that's a bit of a tough situation. You see, my friend has always been quite strict about keeping his property private. In fact, even I need an invitation before stepping a foot in the cabin, and I've known him for practically his entire life."

Sungjong huffed. The bell on the restaurant’s front door jingled and he excused himself to serve the new customer.

Hoya turned back to Woohyun. “The next time you see Sungyeol, would you mind telling him that all of us here in the city want him back home as soon as possible? Everyone’s been worried sick.”

Woohyun’s lips pressed into a thin smile. “Yes, I think it’s time he came back as well. Anyways! I’ve ought to be going now, nice chatting with you. Goodbye then.” He stood up and left quickly, without giving Hoya time to say any more.

He was back to strolling and humming when he passed a familiar face on the street.

Then it dawned on him.

He wasn't supposed to pass familiar faces. Especially if they belonged to a certain pesky vampire that always showed up when he visited Myungsoo.

Turning sharply down the next back alley and hoping the other man hadn't noticed him, Woohyun broke into a full-speed run back toward the woods. He'd just broken through the trees on the edge when an arm flew out in front of him, smacking into his chest and knocking him to the ground.

"Running away again, I see." The man glanced down at him disdainfully.

Woohyun sneered. "Stay out of my business, Sunggyu."

"You made it my business when you decided to change him without his permission. You continue to make it my business every time you come back to meddle with his personal life. I still don't know why he hasn't filed for a restraining order against you. I've offered to get the paperwork going so many times."

"It's obviously because he misses me every time I leave."

"Don't kid yourself, please."

Woohyun stood up and brushed himself off haughtily. "Well. Before you so rudely interrupted me, I was going back to see him, so if you don't mind, I'll be on my way." He stalked off, a bit sore from being knocked down. He should've been less surprised to see Sunggyu following him.

"Do you have nothing better to do? I guess that happens when you're a thousand years old."

"Not much older than yourself." He says passively.

"A hundred years make all the difference. My bones don't crack."

"It's genetic. They've done that since I was seven hundred."

"And my fangs are still sharp as a newborn's."

"I grind my teeth when I'm stressed."

"And my complexion is much brighter than yours. I think it has to do with you only drinking donated blood."

"It makes you feel lighter. Maybe if you tried it, you'd be able to outrun me."

Woohyun scowls. "Whatever."

They came up to the cabin much faster than expected, and Woohyun rapped on the door.

Myungsoo opened it, looking utterly disgusted.

"Oh lord, there's two of them now…"

"You said that out loud." Woohyun pointed out.

"I'm aware. Now go away. Shoo. You can't come in."

Sunggyu cleared his throat and pointed down to the welcome mat underneath their feet. He gave a fake-sweet smile as he pushed past Myungsoo into the cabin.

"Sungyeol!" Myungsoo glared at the boy on the couch, who looked up with big, innocent eyes.

"What?"

"Do you have any knowledge of the mat that appeared outside my door?"

"Oh! I put it there. I thought it made the place seem more cozy." He beamed.

Now, Myungsoo could never be mad at that smile. He sighed and pulled the mat into the house, tossing it into the closet much harder than necessary. He went and sat down beside Sungyeol protectively.

"That's Sunggyu. He's sort of like.. a social worker. He checks in on us once in a while."

"Is he a vampire too?"

Sunggyu jolted. "He knows?!"

"Of course he knows." He turned back to Sungyeol. "And yes, Sunggyu is a vampire, too. He's the one who hired Dongwoo."

Sungyeol frowned. There was still so much he didn't know.

"Sunggyu works for a special organization that monitors vampires who might threaten the species. For the most part it's obscure and useless."

Sunggyu crossed his arms and glared.

"But because I was born human and changed into a vampire, I was considered a minor threat. So Sunggyu hired Dongwoo to keep an eye on me."

"Wait. You were born human?" Sungyeol couldn't believe it.

Myungsoo nodded.

"Who changed you?"

He hesitated for a moment, eyes darting away.

"I did!" Woohyun exclaimed proudly. "When I first met Myungsoo, I knew I wanted to be with him forever, so I changed him!"

"And caused headaches for the rest of us," Sunggyu muttered.

Woohyun ignored him, suddenly scowling. "But he's always been so ungrateful. No matter how much I do for him, it's never enough."

"I didn't ask to be changed." Myungsoo said quietly.

There was a moment of silence so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Sungyeol felt like he'd just become caught up in something that he never should've known about in the first place. Thinking of how to change the subject, a question he'd been nursing for a while came to mind.

"So, if vampires are real, does that mean werewolves are real too?"

Myungsoo scoffed. "Werewolves aren't real. What kind of silly question is that?"

Sungyeol gaped at him, offended. "Well I'm sorry for asking such a silly question, because it's entirely my fault that I was only introduced to this whole creature world concept yesterday, and-"

Myungsoo cut him off by pinching his cheeks. "Alright, alright! I'm sorry," he laughed. "It's just common knowledge to me. In the same way you can tell blades of grass apart."

Sungyeol pouted and swatted Myungsoo's hands away.

From the kitchen, the other three vampires were watching their interaction. Dongwoo had an endearing smile, chin propped on his hand. Sunggyu looked equal parts confused and uncomfortable. And Woohyun looked like he was ready to vomit.

Dongwoo turned to them. "How long do you plan to stay?"

Woohyun scowled and pointed at the living room. "Until he leaves."

Sunggyu shrugged and pointed at Woohyun. "Until he leaves."

Dongwoo laughed and shook his head. "Sungyeol won't be leaving for a very long time. I'll go prepare some slippers for you two."

 

True to their words, Woohyun and Sunggyu stayed at the house for another week.

Myungsoo was upset about it, but it also meant he got to spend more time with Sungyeol. Every minute of every day, either he or Dongwoo would accompany Sungyeol wherever he went to keep him safe. That also meant Sungyeol had been sleeping on the burgundy sofa in Myungsoo's room every night, curled up to fit and covered in piles of blankets Myungsoo brought home from the city.

The arrangement was tolerable until one morning, Myungsoo went downstairs to find Woohyun and Sunggyu in a very indecent lip lock on the kitchen table.

"Absolutely not!" He shouted, banging his fist on the doorframe, splintering the wood. "You come all the way to my house to pester me, welcome yourselves in, stay for an entire week, and then use my kitchen like a cheap motel?! Both of you, out! Now!"

Neither of them had ever seen Myungsoo lose his temper before. They exchanged a quick glance and rushed out of the house, leaving him fuming in the kitchen.

Outside, they stood awkwardly side by side.

Sunggyu cleared his throat. "So.. would you like to go to Italy?"

"For what exactly?"

"I've always wanted to try a wine tour."

Woohyun raised an eyebrow. "You've got more taste than I thought. Well, since I have nothing better to do, and only because of that, I'll come along. But you're paying."

 

Sungyeol crept down the stairs, craning his neck to peek into the kitchen. He saw Myungsoo standing in the doorway, completely still. Cautiously, he came up behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Myungsoo? Is everything alright?"

He turned around sharply, surprised. "I'm sorry, did I wake you up? Were you scared?"

"I'm fine. Are you?"

"I just got a bit worked up. But I sent Woohyun and Sunggyu off, so I'm feeling much better now."

Sungyeol gave him a small smile. "Good. You know, last night I was thinking it's time I go back to town."

Myungsoo tensed up a bit. "You're going back?"

"For a visit, yes. But.. if it's alright with you, and with Dongwoo, I'd like to continue living here."

He relaxed again. "You're always welcome here. I don't think it can ever feel normal again without you here."

Sungyeol caressed Myungsoo's cheek and leaned in for a quick peck.

"Say, how would you like to come to town and meet my family?"