Letters Home.

Midnight Blue

 

Sungjong huffed and gave three more sharp knocks on the door. He’d been waiting for over ten minutes with no response. Normally, he wouldn’t be so impatient; he knew that Hoya wasn’t a morning person, and he respected that. But today, the chilly autumn air was getting to him, and he wanted little more than to be inside the warm, heated house. He was about to knock again when he heard the bolt turning and the door swung open, revealing a very disheveled Hoya, squinting at the daylight.

"Took you long enough." Sungjong snapped, welcoming himself inside.

"Mm, sorry. Forgot you were coming."

"Go wash up. I have something important to discuss with you."

Hoya seemed to sober up a bit at that. "What's it about?"

"My cousin. Go, now, it can wait a few minutes." He shooed Hoya away to the bathroom then headed to the kitchen to brew a pot of coffee.

Hoya returned looking much more alert. He took a seat at the table, thanking Sungjong for the mug. "What's going on with Sungyeol?"

Sungjong worried his lip, staring off into space. "He went on that trip to the forest two days ago, and he still hasn't returned."

"Research can take time."

"I know, but he said it would be an overnight thing. It's not like him to prolong a trip. He's always back exactly when he says he'll be."

Hoya poured cream into his mug and watched the white wisps swirl around. "Are his parents worried?"

"Of course they're worried! And so am I, and you should be, too!"

"Hey, calm down. I'm sure he's fine. He probably just made some huge revelation so he's busy freaking out about it in the forest."

This brought a small smile to Sungjong's lips.

"Give it a day or two longer, and then, if he's still not back, we'll organize a search party. Sound good?"

The boy sighed. "I guess. It's just that I can't help thinking…"

"Thinking..?" Hoya prompted.

"Thinking about those stories of monsters in the woods. Vampires and werewolves. The disappearances."

He actually scoffed. "Sungjong, none of those are real. Bears and cougars are real, but Sungyeol can climb trees and he knows to hang up food before going to sleep. Trust me, alright? You're his blood but I'm his best friend. I know for sure he's alive and well."

The next day, Sungyeol slept until evening. When he woke up, neither of the other house occupants were anywhere in sight. It appeared as though they had already eaten and left some venison-mushroom stir fry on the stove for him. As he sat down to eat, Dongwoo entered the room.

"You're awake!" He exclaimed cheerily. "How do you feel?"

"Very well rested," Sungyeol chuckled. He noticed something in Dongwoo's hands.

"I made a little something special for you." He extended his arms, presenting it -- or, rather, them -- to Sungyeol. It was a pair of wooden crutches. They looked professionally crafted.

Sungyeol couldn't believe what he had heard. "You made those?!"

"Indeed! It didn't take me very long at all. I consider myself a very good craftsman."

"They look as good as the ones you buy in the city! Gosh, you've even made them adjustable!"

Dongwoo grinned. "I didn't want to make a wrong guess at your height. It was a fun little project. I don't get to diversify my woodworking skills very often. Give them a try once you're done eating."

"I will. Thank you so much!"

"It's really no trouble." He propped the crutches up against the back of an empty chair. "How are your pain levels? Did you happen to find any plants to manage them?"

Sungyeol lit up at the question, excited to be discussing his passion. He happily babbled on about wild lettuce and places to look for it, discussing all the believed benefits and side effects.

Dongwoo smiled and nodded along, listening with great interest. "I'll go look for some tomorrow! It would be nice to have some dried in the house, seeing how it can treat so many things."

"Oh, definitely!" Suddenly Sungyeol remembered something. He turned sharply to Dongwoo. "What day is it today?"

"Thursday, I believe. Did you have somewhere to be?"

He drummed his fingers on the table. "I told my parents I'd be back home yesterday… I hope they're not worried. Say, is there any way I could send them a letter?"

“You’re in luck there. But you’ll have to ask Myungsoo about it. He’s gone to bed for the night, hopefully you can catch him tomorrow morning.”

“Provided I don’t go into hibernation,” he joked.

Dongwoo laughed along good-naturedly. “That’s right, if you can catch him before he runs off to the greenhouse. Myungsoo will be more than willing to provide you stationery and whatever else you need to write home.”

Sungyeol didn't sleep at all that night. His long slumber the previous night seemed to have overcompensated his body's requirements, leaving him wide awake through til sunrise. He'd spent all night flipping through his notebook and adding sketches where he hadn't found time before. At the first slips of light through the curtains he rose out of bed, using the crutches Dongwoo had built to help himself to the kitchen.

He put the kettle on the stove and began looking through the cupboards. He wanted to make breakfast for them, just to give something in return for their kindness. The shelves were surprisingly empty, considering how much food they'd made over the last couple days. However, he did find a small burlap bag of oats, plenty of jars of spices, and a jar of honey. Thinking back to when he'd first arrived at the cabin, he recalled seeing a few raspberry plants running alongside the house. He took a bowl from the cupboard and hobbled outside.

The berries were on the verge of overripeness, swollen and practically bursting with juice. Sungyeol couldn't believe they hadn't been eaten by birds or forest critters yet. He filled the little ceramic bowl and carefully balanced it in the crook of his arm to head back inside.

The kettle was whistling away on the stove and he quickly turned off the gas, pouring hot water over the oats to soften them. He drizzled in thick amber honey and pinched ground cinnamon and cloves into the mixture.

Soft footsteps drew Sungyeol’s attention to the door.

Myungsoo had just come downstairs, already dressed in a button down and pants, ready to leave the house. He looked surprised to see Sungyeol up so early.

“Good morning! Do you have time for breakfast before heading out?” Sungyeol greeted energetically.

“You really don’t need to worry about doing anything for us.” He peered over Sungyeol’s shoulder. “But yes, I’ll eat a bit, thank you.”

“Lovely! I’d feel terrible to just sit around and do nothing. You two are already letting me stay here, I wouldn’t want you to feel like you’re caring for a child. Oh, I hope you don’t mind that I picked some raspberries from outside the house.”

“Not at all.” Myungsoo thanked Sungyeol as he was handed a bowl of oatmeal.

“I don’t understand why birds haven’t eaten them, though!” He sat down across from Myungsoo and began eating with a ceramic spoon. The house didn’t seem to have any silverware, just wooden stirring spoons and chopsticks and ceramic spoons for eating. Sungyeol thought that the men must like Chinese-style cooking. It would explain the wooden chopsticks and ceramic spoons, as well as the cast iron wok hanging on the wall.

Myungsoo smiled down at the table. Secretively, almost. “Animals tend to stay away from the house.” He began to eat. “It’s very good,” he commented.

Sungyeol stopped puzzling over his previous statement when he heard the compliment. He beamed. “I’m glad.”

They ate quietly until Sungyeol remembered what he wanted to ask.

“I mentioned to Dongwoo last night that I ought to contact my friends and family back home to let them know I’m alright. He said I could ask you for stationery, if you don’t mind?”

“Yes, of course.” He stood and placed his empty bowl in the sink. “I’ll be back in a moment.”

A minute later, Myungsoo returned with ludicrous amounts of letter-writing materials. He deposited a three-inch stack of paper onto the table, then a dozen pens, fountain and ballpoint and all other sorts. Two bottles of ink, a pile of envelopes, and a wax seal kit followed, complete with a box of matches.

“Use anything you need. Let me know if I’ve neglected to give you something.” The man nodded to himself. “I’m off to the greenhouse. Thank you for breakfast.”

Sungyeol, still shocked by the sudden abundance of materials, could only call his thanks helplessly after the other.

Myungsoo knelt over a copper bucket, gagging violently as he regurgitated his breakfast. Sitting back with an empty stomach, he made a moue at the sight of the bucket’s contents.

Vampires really weren’t meant to eat human food. But who was he to deny the offer? How could he, after charming little Sungyeol went to the trouble to make it, despite his injured state?

Wearily, he stood and carried the bucket over to a corner of the greenhouse, dumping it over a little plot of reject flowers. Their leaves had turned out an odd shape, and he’d excluded them from future tests the moment they bloomed.

He turned back around to face the rest of the greenhouse, rows upon rows of flowers in full bloom. And yet, amongst the hundreds of plants that surrounded him, none of them were quite what he wanted.

After washing the dishes and covering the rest of the oatmeal for Dongwoo to eat later, Sungyeol sat down at the kitchen table to begin composing his letters.

 

Sungjong.

I am alive and well. I hope you haven't been worried about me.

On my second day in the woods I made a misstep and took a small tumble into a ravine. Not to worry, though! Two extremely hospitable men came to my rescue. They tended to my ankle injury and are providing me with a place to stay until I am physically able to return home. I must pay them back someday.

Please keep the contents of this letter a secret from my parents. I don't want them to worry, and I’ve written them a separate letter to let them know I’m alright.

Thank you, dear cousin.

I'll try my best to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Sungyeol

 

He blew lightly on the paper to dry the ink before carefully creasing it into thirds and tucking it into an envelope. He picked up the stick of sealing wax and dipped the wick into the flame of a tea candle he’d lit. Gingerly rotating it between his fingers, he let drops of hot red wax fall onto the envelope’s seam. After stamping the seal firmly into the wax, he was pleasantly surprised when he lifted it to see a rose embossed against the glossy scarlet seal.

Then, he proceeded to write to his parents.

 

Dearest Mother and Father,

I’m writing to let you know that I’m alive and well. I apologize for misinforming you of my expected return date.

As things have turned out, I met two men living in a cabin in the woods who expressed great interest in my research! They have generously offered me a place to stay while I continue my studies. They run a small deer farm, selling meat and hides in nearby cities.

I do not know exactly when I will return home, but rest assured that I will be back soon enough. Please know that you have nothing to worry about. I am in good hands.

Love always,

Sungyeol