Ground Rules.

Midnight Blue

 

As Myungsoo and Dongwoo began walking to the trail that led down into the ravine, Dongwoo remembered a vital piece of information.

He turned to Myungsoo.

"Sir, we don't have any furniture in the cabin."

Myungsoo kept walking, unfazed. "What do you mean? We have beds and desks and lamps and dressers."

"But, sir, there's no kitchen table or chairs. And no sofa in the living room."

Myungsoo stopped dead in his tracks. "Oh, lord. You're right."

"What shall we do?"

He pressed his fingertips to his temples, concentrating. "Alright. Let's go build some furniture before we get the boy."

"But we have no time to paint the wood! And nothing to stuff the sofa cushions with!"

"Dongwoo, we live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. I don't think painting the wood is a major concern. For the sofa… stuff it with dry leaves for now. We can replace them later, when there's time. Come now, we've got to hurry."

"Yes, sir."

To the human eye, it would seem as though the men had disappeared instantly. The only indication of their departure was a faint trail of stirred leaves fluttering back to the ground.

Dongwoo and Sungyeol finally arrived at the cabin.

Unlike the pasture and greenhouse, it was surrounded by a few trees, tucked into the outskirts of the forest. It stood two storeys tall warm and welcoming from the outside. A pale brick chimney scaled up the wall, but no smoke was being released from the top.

The moment they stepped inside they were welcomed by the mouthwatering aroma of fresh cooking. Sungyeol was suddenly aware of just how hungry he was, having been stranded in the ravine for the entire morning.

Dongwoo led him into the kitchen and sat him down at the table. It was covered in a very fine, light dust which he disregarded casually, explaining that they didn't use it very often -- both he and Myungsoo had irregular meal times, and preferred to eat in their own respective rooms.

Myungsoo stood at the stove, stirring a huge steel pot that let off thick, white steam. He paused for a moment and turned to Sungyeol. "Are you alright with venison stew? It's a bit gamey."

Sungyeol nodded enthusiastically. "No worries at all! It smells delicious. I've only just met you and you've already done so much for me. Again, thank you for your hospitality."

The corners of Myungsoo's mouth quirked up in a precious little smile. "The vegetables need a bit of time to soften up. They should be done by the time Dongwoo finishes looking after your injuries. In the meantime, I'd like to discuss a few house rules with you."

"Of course,"

"First off, we have a bit of a peculiar policy regarding jewelry. No jewelry is to be worn in the house at any time. For us, it's no different than removing your hat or shoes. I'm sure you understand."

Sungyeol nodded receptively, already unclasping his necklace and removing his earrings, setting them in a small cluster of silver on the table.

"Very good." Myungsoo smiled. "Next off, I believe Dongwoo may have mentioned this to you, but the greenhouse is off-limits. I'm a bit of a control freak regarding everything that goes on in there."

"Yes, he told me you've spent years crossbreeding flowers."

The man suddenly looked a bit dejected. "It's still a work in progress. Nonetheless, final rule: my bedroom upstairs is also off-limits."

"Of course," Sungyeol clasped his hands on the table. "That's part of basic etiquette as your guest."

"Lovely. I don't think we'll have any problems then."

 

Dongwoo had disappeared for a moment to retrieve first-aid supplies. He returned with an armful of bandages, antiseptic, and a dozen other miscellaneous items, pouring them all onto the table. He pulled out another chair and positioned it in front of Sungyeol, draping a rag over the seat. "Do you need help getting your leg onto it?"

He nodded, embarrassed. "Yes, please." Sungyeol winced and hissed in pain as Dongwoo tenderly lifted his leg. His hands were freezing to the touch. Sungyeol commented on it aloud.

"I've just washed them in cold water." Dongwoo explained with a little grin. He then set to work, rolling up Sungyeol's pants to examine his leg. He wet a cloth in the kitchen sink and wiped the knee down with gentle yet firm motions. Then, he placed his fingers gently on Sungyeol's ankle.

"Tell me if it hurts."

Almost immediately, his examination was rewarded with a gasp from Sungyeol.

"Hm, I'm fairly sure you've broken a bone."

Myungsoo had left the pot to simmer and he stood in the doorway, arms crossed, his expression a mixture of disgust and fascination.

"Myungsoo, could you start a fire, please? It's starting to get a bit chilly."

This seemed to snap him out of his daydream. "Ah, yes." He turned and left the kitchen.

Sungyeol's attention was drawn to the fireplace for the first time. It was void of any logs. Only a layer of charcoal covered the bottom.

Dongwoo caught him staring. "We've been doing a bit of autumn cleaning. In my experience, it's best to completely change out the firewood before winter comes. It helps with heat circulation."

"I see. I'll have to try it sometime."

Myungsoo came back in with a small load of firewood balanced precariously under his chin. He knelt down and carefully arranged a base, piling the remaining wood neatly beside the fireplace. The way he worked was extremely concentrated, focusing on one task at a time and completing it precisely. After a few moments of holding the match to the tinder and blowing a thin, harsh stream of air at it, the flame caught. He moved away quickly, as if burnt.

"Are you alright?" Sungyeol asked.

"Yes, I'm fine." He stood up and brushed off his knees. His hands were still clad in leather gloves. "Just a bit tired, is all. I'll be heading off to bed now. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," Dongwoo and Sungyeol called after him. They could hear the steady rhythm of his ascent up the wooden stairs.

"Alright, let's get this over with. I'm no doctor, but I'm confident I can get this job done." Dongwoo stood up and pulled a small stone mortar and pestle from a cupboard. He popped the lid off of a small jar and used wooden chopsticks to scrape some of its sticky amber contents into the bowl. Then, he grabbed a broom and carefully slid it along the edge of the fireplace, drawing fine black dust outward. He placed the mortar on the ground and swept a bit of charcoal powder into it. 

Sungyeol was in a complete trance of fascination. He desperately wanted to know exactly what Dongwoo was concocting, but he was too intrigued to speak.

Finally, Dongwoo set the bowl down on the table and crouched down next to Sungyeol. "A bit of makeshift glue. You would be amazed to find that tree sap and charcoal dust make a durable, fast-drying adhesive."

Sungyeol started at him, starstruck. "Where did you learn that?"

Dongwoo simply grinned coyly. "I wonder." He placed his hands back on Sungyeol's ankle. "I have to set the bone back in place. This is going to hurt, but please try to endure it."

"Oka--ow! Ah! Ouch!"

"Sorry about that."

He panted harshly, teeth clenched in pain.

Dongwoo wasted no time in wrapping his ankle with a roll of cloth bandage, apologizing when Sungyeol winced as his foot was lifted off the chair. He dipped the edge of the bandage into the glue and smoothed it down before proceeding to apply the glue to the rest of the makeshift cast using a wooden spatula.

"All done! Give it a moment to dry and harden up. It can easily be removed with alcohol once you've healed."

The unforgiving pain from before had subsided to a tolerable level, yet even the lesser amount of pain was enough to keep every muscle in Sungyeol's body tense. He sat still and tried to ignore his throbbing ankle as Dongwoo began to dab at scratches and scrapes on his body with a piece of antiseptic-soaked gauze.

"Alright." He pushed the medical supplies to the far edge of the table and stood up. He shut off the stove and began dishing out a bowl of stew. "How does everything feel?"

"Painful," Sungyeol admitted. "But in a good way. Because I know that it's necessary to heal."

Dongwoo slid the bowl onto the table in front of him. "Good. Eat up."

"Thank you."

"Maybe tomorrow you can send me off yo collect painkiller herbs for you."

"I may have to take you up on that offer." He took his first mouthful of stew. It was everything he could've hoped for and more -- perfectly seasoned, garlicky, rich, smooth, spreading warmth quickly throughout his body. The gamey taste of the venison only served to compliment the dish, tender meat bursting with flavour. Before he knew it, the bowl was empty.

"Someone's hungry," Dongwoo chuckled. "Care for seconds?"

"Oh, please, if you don't mind. It's delicious. The best I've had. Are you not going to eat?"

He placed the refilled bowl on the table. "I'm not very hungry right now. Maybe later."

After a second bowl Sungyeol was completely satisfied, belly full and sleepiness washing over him. He looked up at Dongwoo. "Let me help clean up,"

"Absolutely not. You're in no condition to do so."

His protests were waved off by Dongwoo.

"You're not to put any weight on your foot until I say. Those are my orders. And that's final."

Sungyeol sighed in defeat. "I'll find a way to repay you someday." He yawned.

"You need to get some rest! The guest bedroom is here on the main floor, right beside the bathroom. Just wait a moment while I... change the bed sheets. It's been a while since we've had a guest."

Dongwoo stepped out of the kitchen and slapped a hand to his forehead. How had they managed to forget about putting a bed in the bedroom?! He flashed into his own bedroom upstairs and stared at the bed, fretting over exactly how he was going to move an entire bed, frame and mattress and all, to the main floor and into the guest room without alerting Sungyeol. After a few long minutes of deliberation, he decided that the simplest plan was the most effective. And so, Dongwoo picked up the whole bed and carried it downstairs. Time around him seemed to slow as he maneuvered down the narrow staircase and through the narrow doorway. Once he was inside the bedroom, he brought himself back to human speed, setting it down as carefully as possible. He took the pillow from where it was tucked under his arm and gave it a light fluff, placing it delicately at the head of the bed. A quick once-around of the room let him spot Sungyeol's backpack beside the dresser, which he repositioned to beside the bed. Then, quite proud of himself, he dusted off his hands and went back to the kitchen to fetch the guest.

"Come, I'll help you." Dongwoo carefully heaved Sungyeol up and supported his weight as they hobbled to the guest room. Once Sungyeol was situated safely on the bed, he clapped his hands together. "Shout if you need anything. I'll leave you to wash up now."

"Okay. Thank you, Dongwoo. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

After Dongwoo left, Sungyeol had a proper chance to observe the room. It was small and cozy, furnished with a bed and a six-drawer dresser in lieu of a closet. A small lamp on the night table beside the bed washed the room in warm yellow light. He was quite pleasantly surprised to find his backpack on the floor, leaning against a bedpost. He leaned down and unbuckled the top flap, fishing out his study notebook and a spare set of clothing.

The cast on his foot caught his attention, formerly-white strips of cloths now cased in a glossy black glaze. Tentatively, he reached down and tapped it with a finger. Solid as a rock. He still couldn't comprehend how Dongwoo had managed to construct something so professional out of tree sap and charcoal.

Pushing that thought to the back of his mind, Sungyeol gathered his clothes into his arms and propped himself against the wall, hopping his way to the bathroom. What struck him first was the absence of a mirror. How unusual. He suddenly became extremely self-conscious of how he must have looked. After a rough tumble through dirt and leaves and roots and sitting in a ditch for a good part of a day, he probably looked like he'd just survived a three-day, two-night camping retreat with no tent.

For now, the best he could settle for was washing his face. The moment he twisted the brass faucet, a steady stream of clear water let out. This came as another massive surprise -- how did they manage to get running water out here? Electricity could easily be attributed to a generator, but running water? Clean, running water? He filed the information onto his mental list of questions for Dongwoo.

After cleaning up and a minor struggle to change his clothes, Sungyeol stumbled back to the bedroom and lay down. He flipped open his notebook, skimming through the pages filled with his own handwriting and sketches, until he found exactly what he wanted. Wild lettuce. Relieves pain, whooping cough, fever. Found near riverbanks. Can grow up to 6 feet tall. Leaves resemble that of dandelion. Satisfied, he tucked the book’s ribbon marker into the page and shut off the lamp. He fell asleep to the soft clatter of Dongwoo in the kitchen.

Dongwoo pouted he stared at the very apparent empty space in his bedroom. Why hadn't they thought of the bed situation earlier? A bit dejected, he stacked a few thick quilts and rolled up another to act as a pillow. It wasn't as though he needed a bed, really. He was incapable of sleeping. It was just that he enjoyed the act of lying down and letting his mind wander off for a while. It reminded him of being human, tucking himself under the covers and enjoying the comfort of a bed at the end of each day.

He'd just have to build a new one tomorrow.