It Begins.

Midnight Blue

 

Sungyeol had no idea how he was going to get out of this situation. He had come to the woods early in the morning dressed for the cool autumn weather and equipped with a backpack full of food and water and, most importantly, his notebook and pen. He was hoping to learn more about plant varieties in the forest, but a single clumsy step off of a large, portruding root had sent him tumbling down into a ravine.

Judging by the throbbing pain in his left leg and his inability to find a grip on the compacted dirt walls surrounding him, he'd be here for a while to come. He sighed heavily and pulled an apple from his bag, propping himself to sit as comfortably as possible against the steep wall of the ravine. Maybe with a little rest he'd be able to get up and look for another way out.

The sound of footsteps disturbing the dry leaves that covered the forest floor woke Sungyeol. He couldn't even remember falling asleep, but considering the fact that it was still light out, it probably hadn't been long ago. He sat up straighter and cupped his hands around his mouth.

"Hello? Is anybody there?" His voice carried through the woods, sending a cluster of birds flying.

The footsteps grew closer, and two young men appeared at the drop-off opposite Sungyeol.

"Are you alright?" The taller, raven-haired man looked concerned.

"I think I must have broken a bone; I can't stand up."

"There's a safe way in and out of the ravine further down, we'll come fetch you. Try not to move around too much."

They disappeared from his line of vision and he leaned back against the wall of the ditch, relieved to have found help so soon. He heard a sound from his right and turned his head to see the men walking towards him.

"That was fast!" He shouted.

"It's not a very long walk," the taller man replied. "What brings you out here? We don't usually see people from the city wandering around like this."

"I came to do some plant research. I'm trying to become an herbalist."

The shorter man crouched down next to him, "Any idea what herbs will do the trick for your leg?" He chuckled.

"Dongwoo! Some respect, please." The man scolded.

Dongwoo rolled his eyes, "It's just a joke, sir. No harm done."

The man ignored him, turning his attention back to Sungyeol. "We don't live too far from here. We'll bring you back so that Dongwoo can tend to your injury."

Sungyeol nodded graciously, "Thank you both so much, really. I was worried I might be stuck down here forever." He took the gloved hands that Dongwoo offered and rose carefully, leaning sideways into the small brunette.

The dark-haired man picked up Sungyeol's bag, slinging it over his shoulder. "I'll see you two back at the house. Take your time."

"Ah, wait! What's your name?"

He turned and regarded Sungyeol, glancing him up and down. "Myungsoo. Feel free to call me as such."

Sungyeol smiled. "Alright, Myungsoo. I'm Lee Sungyeol. You can call me Sungyeol."

He gave a little tilt of his chin, "Very well, Sungyeol. Farewell for now." Myungsoo turned and walked off briskly, leaving the other two ambling along in his trail.

Once he was a fair distance ahead, Dongwoo spoke up. "I hope you don't mind Myungsoo. He's always so cold to new people. He's always been like that."

"Oh, don't worry about it! I'm extremely grateful for your help. You found me at a perfect time."

Dongwoo laughed lightheartedly, "Yes, I don't think you'd enjoy spending a night alone in the woods." He cleared his throat. "Before we get to the cabin, though, I believe I should tell you a bit more about Myungsoo and myself."

Sungyeol hummed in acknowledgement, prompting Dongwoo to go on.

"It's just us two living in the cabin right now. I'm actually his personal butler -- you see, he seems like a very insociable man, but he's actually quite skilled at what he does. Out of the cabin, we operate as one of the largest animal hide providers to cities nearby. When we get back, you'll probably be surprised by the size of the property. There's a large field for livestock on the edge of the land, you'll see the deer from a mile away."

"You're able to manage with just the two of you?"

Dongwoo beamed. "We're extremely efficient workers. Cleanliness is key."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"I should also mention the shed. It's where most of the dirty work happens. I wouldn't want to frighten you, so it's best for you to stay away from it. Understood?"

"Of course. I wouldn't want to intrude any more than I need to."

"Perfect. Oh! And the same goes with the greenhouse."

"There's a greenhouse on the property?"

"Yes! Myungsoo has spent years and years crossbreeding flowers to get the perfect coloration. It's an exceptionally delicate, intricate process. He's particularly protective of the greenhouse because he absolutely must not have anybody tampering with his work. I've only been inside a dozen times, myself."

"What kind of flowers does he grow?"

"Roses. They're beautiful, unlike any others you've ever seen. But whenever I suggest that he sell them, he insists that he hasn't made a perfect breed. It's really a shame. I think people would be willing to pay fortunes to get their hands on them." Dongwoo sighed and shook his head.

After coming up out of the ravine on a gentle slope, the pair had been trekking through the forest for nearly an hour, carefully avoiding roots and other odd objects. And just when it seemed as though they'd never arrive, suddenly the foliage began to thin above them, sunlight pouring down and filling the air. They were presented with a clearing and, sure enough, in the distance ripples of brown fur embodied the field of deer. The shed stood tall near the field, built of aged, graying wooden planks. The shingles on the roof looked old and ruffled.

Then he saw it. The greenhouse, shining bright and clear in the open expanse of the field. Pristine, crystal-clear glass framed by lustrous bronze bent and curled into detailed patterns. The roof was a perfectly symmetrical peak, slanted elegantly to allow rain to fall from it.

Dongwoo turned and saw the awestruck expression on Sungyeol's face, smiling proudly at the boy's reaction to the estate. "You'll have plenty of time to admire it later, but we must get to the cabin right now."

Sungyeol snapped out of his wonder, agreeably following Dongwoo along the edge of the clearing toward the house. He cast a final glance back at the greenhouse, radiating light in the otherwise muted field. It would have to wait.