Chapter 3

Stay With Me

I'm so sorry for not posting. These past few weeks have been crazy and so stressful, and I haven't had the time to write.

I hope you enjoy this new chapter!

 

 

 

 

Jinyoung sat gently on his new bed and stared at the wall with blank eyes. He felt terrible and felt like he couldn't process anything. He was to the point where he just wanted to go back. He wanted to feel Mark's strong arms around him again. He wanted to see his breathtaking smile and hear his beautiful laugh. He wanted to look into those dark eyes and get to witness all of the love that they withheld once more.

But he couldn't, and he knew that. It was going to be challenging just to get through an hour without him, let alone the rest of his life, but he was going to be strong. He is doing what is best for Mark. Him staying there would only make everything torture for Mark and he knows it. 

Jinyoung stood up and made his way over to his suitcase. He ped it and gently picked up the frame. Inside was a picture of him and Mark on the couch sleeping. Mark's arms were around his waist and Jinyoung's head was in the crook of Mark's neck. Jinyoung smiled through the new tears.  Didn't Jaebum take this? He asked himself. He put it down on the shelf and continued to unpack.

**************

A few months later...

Mark eventually was able to step out of his house. His friends at the office had taken over for him for the past few months. Only a few of them actually knew the reason to why their boss was suddenly out and for a long time at that.  They were the ones he trusted. Many of the workers there at the company were still loyal to his father. 

These past months for Mark had been torture. Everything in his house reminded him of when he was still together with him. Even though there was no single trace of Jinyoung anywhere, the rooms still contained precious memories of when they were still together. When they were still happy and in love. 

Even after Jinyoung left him, his feelings for the other never changed. Of course, he was angry and disappointed, but it was more at himself. He should have talked to Jinyoung. He should have done anything to make the younger stay with him. But what was that? Mark had thought they were going to make it through this difficult obstacle together. What was it that made the other leave? What did he do? 

When Mark finally entered the company for after months, everyone stopped what they were doing. They all quickly bowed and he nodded to them. 

"I'm sorry for my sudden absence, but I hope everything went smoothly while I was gone." He said with a small smile. 

"Everything went amazingly," said the receptionist. He nodded thanks to her and she smiled with a blush. 

"Then please get back to work. I'm glad to be back!" Mark said while walking towards his office. When he opened the door, he was greeted by the two people he had spent months despising. 

"Honey, we heard you came back!" His mother said in a fake sweet voice that had Mark cringing. 

"What are you both doing here? Haven't you done enough?" He spat while glaring at both the people that raised him. 

"Well, we are here to finally settle the engagement. We've had enough of this craziness, Mark." His father said with a serious tone. Mark rolled his eyes at the mention of the engagement. 

"If you think I'm still going to do that bull, then you are mistaken," Mark said while sitting at his desk, but his eye contact with his father never broke. 

"He's gone, Mark! He left you!" Mark balled his fists under the table and clenched his teeth. Even with this small restraint, he still burst.

"Get the out of my office! Now!" He yelled with a rage he didn't know he had. He saw his parents flinch at the sudden rise of his voice. He saw his mother's eyes water and his father clench his jaw.

"That is no way to speak to your parents!" His father's face turned red because of his anger and his hands had started to shake.

"It is when you ruined my life!" Mark yelled back. He felt his own face get hot and a few tears run down his flushed cheeks.

There was a silence and nobody dared to break it. Mark and his father held intense eye contact until his father broke it and looked to the ground. 

"You are going to marry this girl with no complaints. If you don't, I will hunt this lover of yours down and make his life a living hell." Then he his heel and left the room with Mark's mother following closely behind. 

Mark buried his face into his hands and his breathing got heavy. He heard the door open again, but he didn't lift his head. He didn't want to see his parents faces again. He didn't want to yell anymore. He was just too tired. 

It wasn't until he heard the voice of the other person did he look up. "Mark? What happened?" He was met with a worried face that belonged to his best friend that he managed to see through his tears.

"Jackson...I don't know what to do." He cried out and reached out for his best friend. The other gladly welcomed his embrace and just let the other cry on his shoulder. Jackson had gotten used to comforting the other over the past few months, so none of this was new. The two boys had grown up together, and Jackson would do anything to not see his best friend hurt. But he couldn't fix this. He couldn't help his friend at the hardest point of his life. He just didn't know how and he felt terrible for it. 

"What happened?" Jackson said carefully. He always approached these situations with caution. He didn't know how Mark would react. 

"My parents still want me to get married to that girl. They even threatened Jinyoung. They said they would make his life hell if I didn't marry her." Mark said with a shaky voice. 

"Mark, I think you should do what your heart tells you to do. Even if that is marrying that girl to protect Jinyoung. Just do what you think is right. What you think will benefit you the most." 

It was silent for a while until Mark finally spoke. "I'll marry her...I'll marry her to protect Jinyoung...I don't want anything happening to him. He shouldn't have to go through this. He shouldn't have to involved in my mess just because he loved me once." 

 

**************

 

Jinyoung didn't expect to come home to this. He lifted the piece of paper shakily in his hands. He knew it was eventually going to happen. He knew and he was ready, but it still hurt like hell. Jinyoung looked at the paper in sorrow. For the union of Mark Tuan and Sana Minatozaki, we request your presence on February 14th. 

Jinyoung quickly picked up his phone and looked at the date. It was February 9th today. In five days, the love of his life would get married. Jinyoung wondered if Mark ever fell for her. Is he in love with her? Is he showing the love that he once showed to me to her? Jinyoung crumbled the piece of paper in his hands and chunked it in the trash can. He felt tears streaming down his cheeks and he felt his body hit the ground. This was all his fault. If he never left Mark, they could have still been together. He put his face in his hands and let out ugly sobs. 

Why didn't I stay? Why did I leave? I could have been happy. Thoughts filled with regret and anger filled his mind and he had no way to stop them. He deserved these thoughts. He brought this upon himself.

He missed Mark. He really missed him and he felt the consequences every day. 

 

**************

 

Mark stood at the altar with a frown present on his face. He felt Jackson, who was his best man, nudge him with his elbow.

"At least look somewhat happy to be marrying her. Her parents are here and your parents will kill you if you disappoint them."

"I'm sorry," Mark said while trying to put on the most convincing smile he could. 

"Stop thinking about him. It'll just make this all hurt worse." Jackson tried to give him a reassuring smile. 

"I know."

Everything passed quickly after that. He didn't even watch Sana walk down the aisle. He had kept his eyes on his father while giving him a glare. This was all that man's fault. When the "I do's" came, Mark had glanced quickly at his father who nodded as if telling him to say it or there will be consequences. He had said the two words and everything else was history.

Now he was at the after party gulping down the expensive wine that had been placed in his hand by...he doesn't remember who. He was sitting at a table in the corner while watching everybody dancing on the dancefloor. They all had a huge smile on their faces. Everyone was happy, but he wasn't. He couldn't get his face out of his head. Only thoughts of him filled his mind. 

Where was he now? Is he happy? Did he ever move on? 

"How are you?" He looked up and saw Jaebum. He watched as the man took a seat beside him. Mark blinked back the forming tears. He couldn't cry, not tonight. "I can't stop thinking about him." He said truthfully. It might have been the alcohol toying with his mind, but either way, it still felt good to get that off his chest. 

"I know," Jaebum said while rubbing Mark's back as a way to comfort him. "Did you ever get a hold of him?" Mark asked hopefully.

"I-I did..." Jaebum started "But he wouldn't mention where he was. He's doing well though. He's been doing interviews and he thinks he's going to get this one job at a company."

"D-Do you know which company?" Mark asked in a shaky voice. "No, I don't." 

"When was the last time you spoke to him?"

"It was a few days ago...He probably doesn't want me to tell you this, but I think you deserve to hear it." Mark nodded for him to continue. "He received one of your wedding invitations...He sounded so heartbroken, Mark. I could tell he regretted leaving." 

Mark felt his eyes brim with tears. Did Jinyoung still love him? "W-why didn't you tell this to me before I got married?" 

"It wouldn't have made a difference, Mark."

"I-I'm going to go home." 

"What about the party?" 

"Just tell them to all go home. I honestly don't care."