Notes and Stars

Captivated in a Flash

When I started living in a high rise building, mending my broken self when someone left a mug of coffee with a sticky note on it in my front of my unit. A welcome note from the next door neighbor that somehow made me smile after days of numbing and emptiness.
I immediately went back to my unit when I heard the opening of a door. It came from the one who gave me coffee. Living in a city full of strangers wouldn't be so bad after all.

Everyday, I received sticky notes of quotes and self-help realizations which lighten my mood. Cups of coffee in the mornings, fresh milk at night and I wonder who he is or she is. Yet I choose not to sneck a peek on her/his unit because I don't want to be seen. But I caught a glimpse of his back. He's a guy.

Months later, I decided that I won't hide from him anymore so I took a courage of knocking on his unit's door. Only to be surprise by some personnels, boxes and bunch of things they carried. He's moving out? So I asked a personnel and I felt like a mirror broke in front of my face when he answered that the owner of the unit passed away hours ago. Tears fell uncontrollably.

He made me strong when I was covered with dark clouds, made me smile of his words and made my hurts bearable. He washed away my tears unknowingly yet I won't be able to thank him for that. As I stared at the city lights, I wish my words of gratitude reach him among the night sky and stars.