Chapter 9

Sunrises in Nippon

Jun took a breath before knocking on the door.

You got this Matsumotohe told himself this’ll work out fine

He heard her voice float toward the door "Coming."

He heard her unfastening the lock and he guessed that he had 15 seconds before she opened the door, swallowing hard he took another breath.  She opened the door and at the sight of him her face fell

"Oh, it's you.  Well come in I guess."

He nodded his thanks and removed his shoes in silence, following her into her all too familiar apartment he awkwardly stood there, as if he didn't know every inch of her place already. 

"You can have a seat," She offered waving her hand over the couch in the living room "Anything specific to drink?"

"No, anything’s fine thanking you." He replied, way to politely. Sitting down on the couch he looked around the room, there were no pictures of the two of them, even though just a few weeks ago they had been all over the place. 

She arrived with some tea, something he knew she only made when she was stressed.  The silence was torture, and Jun wanted out a soon as possible.

"Well, I guess I better get straight to the point." He started while placing his cup down.

Her eyebrows rose, but other than that she remained completely calm. 

"I uhm well to be honest I am not really sure how to say this."

"Matsu-kun, I-"

"I want to break up."

Her head snapped up "Excuse me?"

"I want to break up with you, for real this time."

She sat there gaping, setting her tea cup down she wrung the hem of her blouse in her hands.

"Jun-kun, I know we've kind of been in a rough spot right now but-"

"We?  No, I think you're doing perfectly fine." He raised an eye brow, daring her to answer.

She opened but ended up just shutting it, staring down at her lap she muttered "I'm sorry."

He nodded "It really doesn't matter, but thanks."

He stood and held a hand out "I'll be seeing you around then."

"Yeah." She replied standing and taking his hand.

Turning to her as he reached the door, he leaned over and gave her a light kiss on the forehead.

She looked up at him and whispered "Thanks for everything."

He smiled and nodded, and with that he left her apartment, and he didn't look back.

 

Nino reaches for his phone as he felt it vibrating in his pocket, reading the text he let out a cheer, completely forgetting that Sho was in the middle of recording; the other members turned to Nino expectantly, his wide smile was all the answer they needed.

 

As Jun walked outside into the sunshine he had a spring in his step that he hadn’t had in a long time.  He got into his car and since he knew the guys wouldn’t mind if he didn’t show up, he decided to spend the beautiful day doing something he hadn’t done in a long time. 

About 20 minutes later Jun was sitting on a shaded park bench with an ice cream sundae.  He had taken off his jacket, along with the hat and sunglasses he had been using as a disguise.  The park was only occupied by young children, their parent and the occasional person taking a stroll. Leaning back he took a spoonful of his ice cream and savored the confection, it had been way too long since he had done this; just sit back and relax.  He stretched his legs out in front of him and continued to enjoy the warm sunshine.  After finishing his treat he leaned his head back against the bench and watched the tree branches sway gently in the breeze, he started to fall asleep but his relaxation was cut short by the voice of a young child.

“Onichan, what are you doing?”

Jun turned and saw a little girl about 6 years old; her hair tied up in short little pigtails. He smiled

“I’m just relaxing.  What about you? Shouldn’t you be in school?”

He noticed that she seemed hesitant to come up and talk to him, yet he noticed her eyes were red and puffy from crying.  He asked gently “Have you been crying?”

She shook her head and rubbed her eyes, as if to hide the traces of her tears.

“Crying’s for babies.”

Jun chuckled “Well in that case, I’m still a baby.”

“You Onichan?”

“Hai, you see it’s not only babies who cry.  Crying isn’t a bad thing, it all depends on why you’re crying if you should be ashamed or not.”

The little girl was slowly inching her way closer to the bench was sitting on.  Jun watched her twiddle her fingers for a minute before asking her again

“Why were you crying?”

“My friend doesn’t like me anymore.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, that probably makes you feel bad huh?”

The girl nodded and looked up at Jun “She says she doesn’t want to be my friend anymore.” She whispered before bursting into tears.

“Oh come now, Daijoubu.” Jun soothed, scooping her up into his arms, patting her head.

“I didn’t do anything wrong” she blubbered, resting her head on Jun’s arm. “She just wants to be friends with the new girl.”

Jun nodded his head all to understanding “I know how that feels; you want to know what makes me feel better?”

The little girl nodded, wiping her nose on her sleeve.  Jun handed her his handkerchief and continued

“Thinking about my real friends, and how much they love me.  That makes me feel better; oh, and ice cream.” He added with a smile, standing up and taking her hand.  She looked up at him with still-wet eyes, tugging on his hand she brought him down to his height.

“Arigatou Onichan.” She said wrapping her little arms around his neck, “And whoever it was that made you cry is a meanie.” She added fiercely.

Jun couldn’t help but laugh at her cuteness, “Arigatou, now how about some ice cream?”

She nodded and took Jun’s hand, as they started walking they heard a lady’s voice calling out across the park “Sakura! Where are you?”

“Mama!” The girl released Jun’s hand and raced toward the woman who picked up the young child and held her closly.

“Sakura, don’t you ever do that again! Do you know how scared I was?”

“Gomen Mama, but I was just talking to this Onichan.” She said, waving toward Jun to come closer.

He came slowly and bowed toward the woman “Gomenosai, she came to me and started talking, I should’ve realized that-“

“You’re Matsumoto Jun of Arashi aren’t you?” Sakura’s mom interrupted

“Hai.” He nodded as he forced a chuckle out.

“Domo Arigatou for watching Sakura-Chan, she has a tendency to run away from my sight.”

“It was no problem” he insisted “Actually, I was hoping I could still get her an ice cream, I know she had a bad day today,”

Her mother nodded but argued “Oh no, I couldn’t ask you to do that I’m sure you are so busy and-“

“Nonsense,” He said with a wave of his hand.

It was times like these when his inner Domyouji came out, because the woman was silent and just nodded in agreement.  After having bought Sakura and her mother an ice cream Jun decided that he should go back to the studio; when he got there he was greeted by him fellow band members engulfing him in hugs, congratulations and cheers.  Before he realized what was happening they had somehow gotten to a bar and toasts were being raised in his honor

“I just want to thank you guys, for always being with me- through everything. I love you all.”

The five raised their glasses and shouted together “ARASHI FOR DREAM!”

 

A:N:

So I'm not entirely sure wha happened to the end haha but I knew I wanted to add the little girl, an innocent little kid to kind of help Jun remember that he's not the only one going through a struggle.  I always love seeing things through a kid's perspective because it's so pure, you know?  I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'm not sure yet how the next few chapter will tie into the plot, I have some thinking to do, but no worries I'll make it happen! 

It'd be really cool if you guys commented and/or subscribed ^-~