Chapter Nine: Hyoyeon

I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That

“Jessica, can I talk to you?”

The lazy brunette poked her head out from under the sheets grouchily. “Hyoyeon, I’m busy trying to sleep till noon, can’t it wait until--”

“No,” I insisted. “Jung Sooyeon, this is serious.”

In an instant, she threw the blankets off and motioned for me to join her. “Okay, it must be like life or death if you dared to use my real name.”

“I think,” I started, sitting down across from her, “I got confessed to.”

Jessica’s eyes nearly bugged out of her head. “Who? Who was it?”

“Um, possibly Hyukjae?” I covered my face and prepared for the explosion.

“...Hm, well, about time.”

I gave her a nasty glare. “About time? What does that mean? You’re supposed to give me advice! You’re supposed to help me and tell me what I’m supposed to do!”

“Embrace it,” Jessica shrugged her shoulders.

“Embrace--what?” I sighed, shaking Jessica’s nonchalant shoulders violently. “What do I embrace, exactly? I’m pretty sure the whole thing was one big accident!”

“Okay, then tell me what happened.”

I knew that my explanation would be meaningless and make zero sense if I didn’t tell her about the whole mind reading slash thought-hearing thing.

Hyukjae?

Hey, answer me! I’m about to tell Jessica!

My eye twitched in irritation. Was he choosing to ignore me now?

Fine then. Freaking jerk.

“Well?” Jessica persisted.

“You won’t believe me.”

“Talk first, I’ll react later.”

“Well, somehow, Hyukjae and I can hear each other’s thoughts. And we were having a mental argument after he left our dorm about what I did last night. I was asking him why he even cared so much, and it led to him sort of implying that he liked me, but I wasn’t one hundred percent sure and now that idiot won’t respond to my thought messages!”

Jessica stared at me. A lone eyebrow began arching its way up her forehead. “Okay, I’ll just take your word for that ‘cause I know you wouldn’t be able to make something that ridiculous up.”

I sighed, relieved that she believed me. It felt a bit better now that someone knew this secret I had been keeping. I had to remind myself later to make Jessica swear on her life not to tell anyone. They’d all think I’m crazy, in love, or both.

I am not in love.

“So what do you want me to do for you?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed again, flopping on to my back. “I guess, tell me what I should do the next time I see him.”

“Kiss him?”

I chucked a pillow at her face. “Yah, not helping!”

“Okay, okay, sheesh!” she flung the pillow back at me. “Do you like him?”

“Huh?”

“Do you like him? Hyukjae? Lee Hyukjae? Also known as Eunhyuk?” Jessica was smirking now.

“Stop saying his name!” I hissed, “And stop imitating Heechul!”

“How will he hear? He’s at a salon.” Jessica rolled her eyes and then glowered at me. “I wasn’t imitating Heechul!”

“Whatever. But remember, he can read my thoughts,” I pointed to my head, “And since we’re talking about him, he’s probably getting this whole conversation!”

“No privacy, huh?”

“None,” I groaned, “And it .”

Jessica lowered her voice to a whisper. “So. Do. You. Like. Him?”

“He’s always been that stupid best friend who’s been around since forever, you know? I don’t know if--”

“Let me ask you something else,” Jessica clasped her hands together methodically, like she was my therapist or something. “What are five things you look for in a guy? Don’t think, just answer.”

I nodded in understanding. “He should have a good sense of humor and be not only a good boyfriend, but a good friend. I like guys who are athletic, but also sweet, and I’d prefer if he could dance so we could dance together.”

Jessica’s smirk returned and she unclasped her hands to jab a finger at me. “And you, my dear friend, just described Lee Hyukjae.”

My jaw dropped in an almost comical fashion. “You’re kidding.”

“I don’t kid about stuff like this, Hyo! Come on, everyone knows he’s hilarious. He’s your best friend, so if you dated him, it’d be perfect. He’s athletic--Dream Team, remember? And didn’t he tell you once that the idea of weddings makes him smile? I don’t think I even need to remind you of his title, Super Junior’s Dancing Machine.”

I bit my lip; her explanation was too perfect. Damn it all.

“But what if it slipped out? And he didn’t mean anything by what he said?” I pushed the weird feelings down to the pit of my stomach.

“Anyone with eyes can see he obviously only has eyes for you wherever we go,” Jessica grinned. “He’s always with you backstage, onstage, and there was that one time he snuck into our rehearsal to say hi to you.”

“He’s being friendly,” I squirmed a bit, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

“You’re so clearly in denial!” Jessica laughed at me, making me feel small--although I was shorter than her already.

“How am I in denial?”

The brunette hopped off her bed. “All the signs are there and you’re overlooking them, Hyoyeon. I don’t know what else to tell you.”

She began heading for the door and I hurried after her. “Wait, so you’re saying...?”

“You like him, and he likes you. It’s not all that complicated.” Jessica flipped her hair over her shoulder. “Now since you ruined my sleep-in plan, I’m gonna go eat breakfast.”

I stayed standing where I was, my feet rooted to the ground.

“You coming?” Jessica asked.

I shook my head. “Nah, I’ll go wake the others, I guess.”

Hopefully that would take my mind off of things.

Even if it was only for a minute, I needed that.

-----

February 8, 2012

Hyukjae

Hey, I haven’t seen or heard from you in a while!

Are you okay?

Hyukjae?

We really need to talk, I think.

At least have the decency to reply to me!

You’re still in Korea, so I have no idea how you’re ignoring me.

YAH!

February 9, 2012

Hyukjae

So you even told Donghae not to answer my texts or calls?

Aren’t you nice?

So you’ll keep ignoring me then?

I see how it is.

I’m okay, thanks for asking.

Oh, wait--you didn’t.

February 11, 2012

Hyukjae

Hi.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d rather have you be annoying to me than not talk to me at all.

Forget I said that. Delete text!

Not that you’re reading any of mine anyway.

February 15, 2012

Hyukjae

What are you playing at exactly?

Can’t you tell me?

Hello?

It’d be so much better than sitting in the dark.

February 17, 2012

Hyukjae

Good luck in Singapore.

You’re leaving in like two hours, right?

Shindong told me!

And here I was, thinking you told all your members to ignore me.

My bad.

Sorry.

Sorry for annoying you and...yeah, sorry for everything.

-----

“Dude.”

Hyukjae hastily pushed the lock button and his phone screen went black. “What?”

“You can’t ignore her forever,” Donghae murmured under his breath.

“I can try,” Hyukjae grunted, adjusting his bag on his shoulder.

His friend’s face darkened. “No, you can’t. You’re failing miserably, and Jessica’s been telling me about how horribly depressed she is!”

“That’s not my fault,” Hyukjae whispered.

“It’s completely your fault!” Donghae snapped. “Look, you know I hate yelling, but Hyoyeon’s a really good friend, and I don’t like seeing her hurt.”

“You think I do? You think I did this on purpose?”

“I know you had good intentions at the start, but now it’s bad.” Donghae sighed, running a hand through his hair, messing it up. “Please talk to her.”

I’m trying, but she won’t respond to me.

“I’m trying,” Hyukjae said, gritting his teeth. “I’m seriously trying.”

“How?”

“...I’ll explain later.”

“Hey, hurry up, you two!” Shindong called, turning his head slightly.

“Hyoyeon’s strong,” Donghae said quickly, “And if she were to ever get hurt, the last person I thought she would be hurt by was you.”

Hyukjae watched Donghae jog ahead, joining the rest of the group. He glanced down at his phone in his hand and clicked the button; the screen illuminated his face.

No new texts from Hyoyeon.

But she would get a new text from Hyukjae.

February 17, 2012

Hyoyeon

Good luck in Singapore.

You’re leaving in like two hours, right?

Shindong told me!

And here I was, thinking you told all your members to ignore me.

My bad.

Sorry.

Sorry for annoying you and...yeah, sorry for everything.

No, I’m sorry.

Hyukjae sped up his pace to catch up with the other members. Donghae slowed for his friend and frowned. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. I’m just worried for her.”

“Look on the bright side!” Donghae put on a grin. “The worst that’ll happen is that she’ll punch you really, really hard!”

Hyukjae sighed. “Donghae, I swear, sometimes...”

“What? What?”

“EunHae, let’s go!” their leader waved his hand madly.

“HaeEun!” Donghae pouted, stalking to the boarding gate.

Hyukjae let out another sigh.


So uh, I finished the chapter a while ago and totally forgot to update this story. Please forgive me, Eunhyolics! I couldn't find a suitable gif for this chapter. Hyo rarely looks sad, ahaha. Oh well, she's still pretty. Right? Right? Okay. And sorry for any mistakes here, I didn't edit it 'cause I wanted it up super quick.

Next update will come much sooner, and it won't take a month. If it does, I'm buying you all K-pop merch. :)

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the er, drama, but hey, that means there'll be plenty of happy stuffs coming! Comments are awesome.