Chapter Four: Hyukjae

I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That

“Donghae, quit it!” I slapped his hands away from my face.

“Is it bothering you?” he asked seriously.

“Yes.”

Then he resumed poking me, now with a playful grin on his face.

“Hyung!” I cried to Leeteuk.

“Where’s Taeyeon?” he asked Yoona, ignoring me completely.

Wow, great hyung he was.

“Sorry everyone!” Taeyeon said loudly, bowing to the photographers; Jessica followed her suit and right behind them, wearing a bright dress and no shoes, Hyoyeon bowed in apology as well.

I had to admit. She looked kind of beautiful.

She glanced my way, hearing that thought no doubt, and I grinned stupidly at her, which made her smile.

Score one for Hyukjae!

“Okay, first, let’s take one big group shot!” the photographer smiled warmly at us; we were all familiar with him and we liked him. He was a generally nice guy who was easy to work with.

“I’ll tell you all where to stand.”

He rambled off names in what I guessed was some special order. He instructed Siwon and Yoona to stand directly in the center of the white screen--no shock there--and told Sooyoung to stand behind Yoona on a small stool (so she’d be taller and be able to be seen), positioned a little bit to the left of Yoona. Kyuhyun was to place himself behind Siwon and get on a stool, a little bit to the right of Siwon. So far, it looked nice. Ryeowook took his position right next to Yoona, so he was in front of Sooyoung a bit. Seohyun was told to put her hand on Siwon’s shoulder, in front of Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun looked upset for a fraction of a second and I smirked. Those two were so getting together, in my eyes.

“I won’t let you,” Hyoyeon whispered to me, suddenly at my side.

“Let me what?”

“Put those two together,” Hyoyeon pointed discreetly to Seohyun and Kyuhyun.

“What are we whispering about?” Donghae sandwiched himself in the middle of the two of us. “Are you guys dating?”

“No!” Hyoyeon and I exclaimed probably a bit too loudly, because our respective leaders gave us stern looks.

Donghae chuckled and slinked away, sauntering to the group photo. He crouched a bit in front of Ryeowook and Yoona, filling the gap between them. Next, Taeyeon had to crouch--well, she didn’t really crouch, since Siwon towered over her tremendously--in the tiny gap between Siwon and Seohyun. Two more stools were brought and Jessica and Leeteuk stood behind the ensemble, Jessica by Sooyoung, and Leeteuk by Kyuhyun.

“Alright, Hyoyeon, Hyukjae, I want you guys in the center, a bit forward from Yoona and Siwon.” the photographer explained.

“Sweet,” I grinned at Hyoyeon, who was already in her position. “Hey!”

“Slowpoke,” she punched me in the shoulder when I was finally in my spot.

“You’re getting more violent by the day, I swear.”

“Yah, you two, shut up!” Jessica cupped her hands around to project her voice.

All twelve of us laughed, in good spirits.

It was a good day.

The photographer then gave more directions. “The four of you in the back, let’s see some happy smiles! Siwon, can you put your arm around Yoona’s waist so you two are closer? Ryeowook, lean in closer to Siwon just a hair--Seohyun, you too. Donghae and Taeyeon, perfect, smile now?”

Everyone complied and we all hooted and hollered when Siwon’s arm went around Yoona’s waist; we were such kids. Hilariously enough, Siwon pulled Yoona closer, causing her to yell, “Oppa!” and laugh her signature crocodile laugh; Donghae pretended to get in a heated argument with Siwon about how Yoona was his, which made Jessica tell him off about hitting on all her sisters.

“Oh, and Hyukjae, put your arm around Hyoyeon, please? I want you all to look close.”

“We already are.” Leeteuk grinned, being literal about our close relationships.

I slowly put my arm around Hyoyeon. She wouldn’t look at me, though.

Is Wittle Hyoyeon embarrassed?

Psh, no.

It’s okay if you are. My handsomeness is just too much for some people sometimes.

She finally looked at me and snorted in laughter, as if to say, “Yeah, right.”

“Is everyone ready? One, two, three!”

A thousand clicks went off and a thousand blinding flashes followed. However, we were all used to it, being total professionals in this kind of stuff.

You’re exaggerating about the cameras AND yourself.

Hey, give me some credit! I’ve been doing this for six years!

Fine, you earned that.

“Excellent,” he beamed at us, satisfied with the results.

We all fled our spots and crowded around the computer to see the pictures.

“Hey, I can’t see!” Taeyeon stretched on her tiptoes from behind all of the guys.

Leeteuk stepped aside and gestured for Taeyeon to switch places with him. She rolled her eyes and swapped with him.

Ahjussi Leader got rejected by Kid Leader. It was a harsh world.

“I look so pretty!” Sooyoung squealed.

“Of course you do, Sooyoung.” Jessica remarked sardonically.

“I do, just look at me!”

“Seohyun looks prettier than you.”

Everyone’s attention went to Kyuhyun, whose eyes were on the computer screen. Playing innocent; this kid was good.

Seohyun’s cheeks were pink. “Thank you, Kyuhyun-oppa.”

“I’m prettier,” Sooyoung said firmly, unmoving.

“Yoona and I look really good!” Siwon high-fived his partner, eyes shining.

“Wah! I look so short!” Ryeowook wailed, flailing his arms.

“I told you to wear insoles!” I reminded him.

“No, you look fine,” Sooyoung complimented with a grin. “I think we look the best.”

“Rejected,” Yoona spoke up, disagreeing.

“Okay, let’s all agree that we’re extremely attractive.” Donghae tried to compromise.

“Ah, Hyukjae, you look really great here with Hyoyeon.” Kyuhyun, that brat, being informal with me.

“I made him look good!” Hyoyeon punched my shoulder again.

“I made myself look good!”

“Nuh-uh.”

“Alright, everyone is very beautiful here,” Leeteuk swatted us away from the computer. “But no one’s more beautiful than Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon made an effort to contain her noisy laughter, struggling as she walked away with her hand over and the rest of us at the cheesiness.

“Hyung!” Ryeowook covered his eyes in secondhand embarrassment.

“Gross.” Kyuhyun pretended to gag.

“Aww, that’s cute, yet sickening.” Jessica commented, to which Yoona nodded wholeheartedly.

“Ugh, take it somewhere else.” Hyoyeon complained.

“Get a room!” Sooyoung yelled.

“Taeyeon, I can’t believe you put up with this guy.” Siwon sighed and mumbled to himself, rubbing his temples.

“Leeteuk-oppa and Taeyeon-unnie are dating?” Seohyun’s eyes were round and naïve.

“Where have you been the last year and a half?” Donghae teased the baby maknae.

“Taeyeon!” Leeteuk raced after her desperately.

I hoped I never seemed that desperate with you-know-who.

I know who?

No, you don’t. At least, I hope you don’t.

Ah, THAT girl! I’ll figure it out.

I surely and sincerely hoped she never would.

“Girls first, let’s take some shots!” the photographer man beckoned the females to the white screen.

“Yay!” Sooyoung clapped excitedly, while a different woman adjusted their poses and moved them around and other ladies fixed their hair and touched up their makeup.

The five guys and I--I should be a poet, ‘cause that so rhymed--sat to the side and watched them, making random chatter every now and then when--rhyme number two; I am on my way to fame--Donghae asked an out-of-the-blue question.

His first one: “Would you rather wear Sooyoung’s red sundress or Hyoyeon’s yellow one?”

I gave him my best, what-the-hell face while Ryeowook and Leeteuk pondered the question deeply.

“I wouldn’t ever wear a dress.” Kyuhyun sneered.

Typical Kyuhyun answer.

Right? He’s so predictable.

“Sooyoung’s,” Leeteuk and Ryeowook decided together.

“Why?” Donghae persisted enthusiastically; obviously, he was insanely bored.

That, or he was just plain insane. (Rhyme number three.)

You’re such an idiot.

If by that, you mean, a poetic genius, then yes.

“Red is a better color on me.” Ryeowook said.

“Same,” said Leeteuk.

“Hyukjae, what about you?” Donghae poked my face.

“Uh, I dunno, Hyoyeon’s.”

“YOU LIKE HER.”

I gave him another, what-the-hell-dude look, but it didn’t shut him up.

“Friends,” I replied with finality.

Glad we agree on that.

“Ohoho,” Kyuhyun smirked at me. “I think not.”

“Kyuhyun’s usually always right,” Ryeowook agreed with a slightly evil grin; okay, unfair, I was being ganged up on!

“Hyung!” I looked to Leeteuk for help, but he was occupied with gazing at Taeyeon.

“We’re really good friends.” I folded my arms over my plain white V-neck.

“Oh, please,” Kyuhyun’s eyes were saying I don’t buy any of that crap, Lee Hyukjae.

“Can’t a girl and guy be really close friends?”

Absolutely!

“Not really,” Donghae and Ryeowook both shrugged.

...Donghae’s an idiot.

YES, someone who sees the light!

“Not really?” I repeated. “Then what are you and Jessica, Donghae?”

“Exes.”

“Yoona.”

“Ex-crush and current friend.”

“Tiffany?”

“That is highly classified information!” Donghae retorted, shutting his mouth.

Ooh, this is some interesting stuff.

This is guy talk!

And you intrude on me at the worst times possible!

Hyoyeonnnnn!

Hyukjaeeeee!

I decided it was time to hit Ryeowook. “Okay, how about you and Sooyoung?”

He hesitated. “Friends...”

“Crush,” Donghae whispered out of the corner of his mouth.

“So subtle,” I sighed at them.

“See?” Kyuhyun returned to the conversation, looking smugger than ever. “It’s impossible, and the only rational conclusion is that you are in love.”

“I don’t love her!” I said with as much confidence as I could.

So the whole eleven and a half-year friendship means nothing then?

“At least, not like that,” I saved myself before Hyoyeon had a chance to claw me later.

“We know you’re lying and you know you’re lying.” Kyuhyun gave me one last knowing look, and for just a second, he was being dead serious and not joking around.

-----

After all the individual shots, which took forever since Yoona and Siwon took more than the others, (we honestly didn’t mind because we all got to talk and mess around) the photographer let us have a lunch break.

I didn’t notice, but it was already noon and we had been taking pictures for a long while now. One of SNSD’s managers showed up right when Sooyoung and Yoona were complaining about their hunger. Another guy followed him, wheeling a cart of our favorite dishes; take-out was delicious.

We all crowded around and claimed steaming bowls of noodles and pork and beef and other delicacies. Then we all made a mad dash to Super Junior’s dressing room, since it was closest. Everyone sat around the room on the ground, though Kyuhyun and Seohyun took the couch, with Yoona sitting between them. She looked quite misplaced.

You gonna eat that?

“Yes,” I retorted to her, pretending to hit her head with the back of my hand.

She didn’t even flinch and stuck her tongue out at me. “Fine.”

“Eat your food, kids, or it’ll get cold!” Leeteuk kicked me lightly in the back.

“I didn’t even do anything!”

Tcht, you’re never innocent.

Wanna start something?

Why not?

Staring contest, go!

You weirdo...

Hey, this way, no one suspects when they see us staring intimately at each other.

Remove the “intimately”!

“Staring contest?” Donghae prodded me in the arm and I just nodded.

“Don’t make me lose, Donghae.”

Hyoyeon crossed her eyes suddenly and I snorted. “No cheating!”

“Who’s cheating?” she slurped some noodles while staring at me, grinning with wide eyes.

I inched closer to her face.

You.

You’re too close to me!

Can’t handle all this awesomeness up close?

Just lose already, everyone’s staring.

Eh, I could care less. It’s just you and me.

You and me?

Uh, staring contest.

...Yeah.

“Good afternoon everyone, this is Lee Donghae.” Donghae pretended to pass an invisible microphone to Leeteuk.

“Hello, this is Park Jungsu! Ah, Donghae-sshi, we have quite a treat this fine day.”

“Yes, why don’t we have Siwon-sshi tell us all about it?” Donghae his microphone in Siwon’s face.

“Well, what we have here are the Staring Contest Championships. It was a tough journey to get this far, but today, we have the two final competitors.” I saw Siwon grinning out of the corner of my eye.

“Ryeowook-sshi?” Leeteuk asked Ryeowook.

“The first competitor fighting for the coveted title is Lee Hyukjae.” Ryeowook made a grand gesture to me and I swiveled my head around the room, waving and doing fist pumps.

“Our second competitor is the one, the only, Kim Hyoyeon!” Sooyoung roared, clapping loud enough that you’d think everyone was.

“Some stats on our players now,” Yoona joined in, taking on her MC voice.

“Lee Hyukjae, 26, self-proclaimed Dancing Machine of the wildly popular and devilishly handsome K-pop group, Super Junior,” Kyuhyun went on to say. “He’s just a rookie in this game, but I won’t lie. He’s decent.”

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and kept my gaze on Hyoyeon, grinning dorkily at her. She put her thumb out to me and threw it down.

You’re going down, Lee Hyukjae.

“Kim Hyoyeon, 23, self-proclaimed Dancing Queen of the even more wildly popular and immensely beautiful girl group of Korea, So Nyuh Shi Dae,” Seohyun took over, surprising us all. “She’s better at this game than anyone else, so that Lee Hyukjae has some serious competition.”

“I love my maknae,” Taeyeon faked a tear from behind Hyoyeon.

“These two have been at it for over two minutes now,” Jessica said in a hushed voice. “It’s still anyone’s game.”

“It’s mine,” I said confidently.

“Dream on.”

“This is absolutely riveting,” Leeteuk exhaled, acting like he was in complete awe.

“Who are you all personally rooting for?” Donghae stuck his microphone in front of Yoona’s mouth. “Yoona-sshi?”

“Hyoyeon, Hyoyeon, Hyoyeon!” she chanted, pumping her fist in the air.

“Jessica-sshi?”

“Hyoyeon, all the way.” she answered.

“Seohyun-sshi, and Sooyoung-sshi?” Donghae moved on.

“Hyoyeon!”

“Hyoyeon-unnie.”

“Already, we have four loyal supporters of Kim Hyoyeon-sshi.” Leeteuk stole Donghae’s microphone. “For me, I am rooting for Hyoyeon as well.”

“Hyung!” I whined, feeling betrayed.

“Is there anyone here supporting Hyukjae-sshi?” Kyuhyun called out, looking around the room.

I saw Ryeowook raise a timid hand and smile nervously.

“Huh,” I scoffed. “Ryeowook’s my new best friend.”

“What about me?” Donghae shrieked (and I honestly didn’t know he could), dropping his MC act.

“Get away from me!” I said, shoving him away. “I want nothing to do with you!”

Everyone laughed, but I only noticed Hyoyeon’s laugh. Only I was capable of making her laugh.

Don’t get so cocky; a lot of people make me laugh.

Well, not like I do!

“It’s been three and a half minutes,” Siwon’s eyes bulged to astronomical sizes.

“Hyoyeon, don’t let him beat you!” Taeyeon and Yoona shouted.

My eyes were already watering extremely now, and it was obvious. “You crying, Hyukjae?”

“No,” I told Hyoyeon with a pout. “My eyes are watering.”

“Hah!”

“But yours are too!” I leaned in closer to her face to get a better look at her eyes.

Pretty...

She flushed. “I’m not.”

And I wasn’t sure if she was talking about my comment or her eyes watering.

I should have seen it coming, honestly. The next thing I knew, I was being kicked roughly in the back--from who, I didn’t know. I crashed on to Hyoyeon and we ended up sprawled on the ground, faces an inch apart. I had never been this close to her and suddenly, I saw every detail of her face. Her soft brown eyes, smooth pale skin, random blonde strands of hair that were sticking up--it was sort of endearingly cute in a way.

“S-Sorry,” I mumbled, and it was probably the first time I stuttered in front of her.

“Just get off of me,” her face was sort of pink, and she pushed me away from her.

Did he see me blush? Ugh, what the heck is wrong with everyone?

I heard someone high-five to the right of me and I glared at Donghae and Kyuhyun. It was one of those two; I figured I would weasel it out of them later. Leeteuk was grinning ridiculously at me and Siwon’s face was an exact “*O*” face. Sooyoung and Yoona were somehow in the corner, giggling, looking at something--Sooyoung’s phone, I guessed? Seohyun looked utterly shocked and at a loss for words, while Jessica was smirking and Taeyeon’s eyes were stuck in between murderous and pleasantly surprised.

“You guys done with lunch?” SNSD’s manager poked his head in.

Scattered responses flew at him and he looked to Taeyeon for a true answer.

“Yeah, we’re done.” she said on behalf of all of us.

“Great, he needs the couple shots now.”

-----

I purposely took a long time to change back into my clothes and to gather my things around the small dressing room. I told Leeteuk I would meet him in the car in five minutes.

Leaders are absolute ers.

I smirked to myself and crept to SNSD’s dressing room. The door was slightly ajar and I saw someone with blonde hair tying their shoelaces.

I know you’re there, Hyukjae.

“Hey,” I grinned widely at her.

“Hey,” she returned the smile.

“So um,” I cleared my throat. “About earlier--”

She had already beat me to it. “Oh, whatever. Let’s pretend it didn’t happen?”

I shrugged eventually. “Sure, I guess. I’ll walk you to your car?”

“Aren’t you afraid of scandals?” she teased, elbowing my arm as we walked side by side out into the daylight.

“Nah, everyone’s too focused on Leeteuk and Taeyeon anyway.” I slung my right arm around her shoulders, inadvertently pulling her closer to me.

She squirmed and my grin grew as I put her in a headlock. “Say, Hyukjae is the coolest guy ever.

“Let go of me, before people start staring!” she laughed, trying to detach my arm from her neck.

“Hyoyeon, it’s only six words.”

Hyukjae is the coolest guy ever?

“Nope, you must say it out loud.” I said gleefully.

“Hyukjae is the coolest guy ever and Hyoyeon loves his friendship with all her life, so can you please let her live?” she divulged in one huge breath.

“Unacceptable!”

“W--”

“Kidding,” I chuckled, releasing her and giving her a pat on the head. “You overachiever.”

“Don’t do that ever,” she ran a hand through her hair, “Again.”

“Well, I really can’t promise anything--”

“Bye,” she rolled her eyes at me, jogging to her car.

I waved at her and she smiled back.

Your shoe’s untied.

I looked down.

Loser!

That was the first time I fell for that stupid thing!

You’re a loser in my book.

I’m pretty sure I’m the coolest guy ever in your book, who you also love.

I didn’t say that.

I quote--

Not hearing it, blah, blah, blah...

“Yah, Hyukjae-ah!” Kyuhyun called disrespectfully, rolling down the passenger window. “Say goodbye to your girlfriend and let’s go; some of us have very important things to do.”

“Kyuhyun, Starcraft doesn’t count.” Leeteuk’s voice sighed.

“She’s not my girlfriend,” I mumbled, stalking to the van.

“Yet,” Donghae whispered, thinking I hadn’t heard him.

What did Kyuhyun say to you?

Oh, nothing. He’s just being rude, the usual stuff.

No, you cannot have Seohyun.

Whoa, it’s like you read my mind!

Because I did!

Oh, yeah...hey, are you gonna go meet up with Doojoon tonight?

I checked my schedule and I’m free, but probably not. How about you and Gyuri?

I don’t know; I’ve never been really alone with her. I think it could be potentially awkward.

Gyuri’s nice though! And she definitely likes you.

Come with me?

Huh?

Come hang out with me and Gyuri so it doesn’t get awkward!

How ‘bout no?

HYOYEONNNNN, PLEASE! I’m begging!

She’s gonna get the wrong idea!

What wrong idea?

Boys.

What?

I’m not coming, and that’s that, so don’t even try to convince me.

What do you want? Money, food, se--

Don’t you dare even finish that sentence, Hyukjae.

Hehe, I was just messing with you.

I don’t want anything, so there.

I’ll give you my eternal friendship!

I think I already have that, unfortunately.

You mean, fortunately.

Just go have fun with her! Take her someplace nice, dress nicely, oh, and take a long shower.

What the heck, Hyoyeon? This isn’t a date...

It might as well be, since she has feelings for you.

Please, please, please come! It’ll be so uncomfortable with just the two of us!

No.

If you don’t--

What do you mean, “if”? I’m not going.

If you don’t, I’m jumping off a cliff.

Well, you’re a pretty good swimmer, so I’m confident that you’ll make it out alright.

The cliff isn’t above water.

Well, look on the bright side--you’re pretty light so I guess it’ll possibly hurt less?

Stop being a smartass and HELP ME!

No! What have you ever done for me?

I protected you from Doojoon.

More like you were protecting your hunger.

I saved you from near death.

Tripping in the practice room wasn’t near death!

What if you cracked your head on the floor?

How would I even have landed on my head?

I bring you Yesung’s mom’s chocolate cake all the time.

And you eat most of it.

There was that time you got drunk at a party at SM and I brought you home!

It was you AND Seohyun who took me.

But I carried most of your weight!

Weight?

Did I ever tell you how stunningly beautiful you are?

Oh, shut up.

Um, I dance with you?

Hm, wonder if Donghae wants to practice with me.

Hey, I’m your partner! Not that doofus!

I know, I know, calm down!

Come on, Hyoyeon, pretty please?

You are so lucky--

YES!

So lucky, that I am such a nice person.

I’ll repay you somehow, I promise!

Right.

Hyoyeon, you’re the freaking best.

Yeah, yeah, you just owe me a favor later in life, whenever I want it.

Deal!

Text me later then?

Will do--ugh, I could kiss you!

...Uh, don’t.

Right, sorry.

“Hyukjae!” Donghae pushed my shoulder with his hand.

“Oh,” I came back to Earth and shook my head. “What?”

“Did you hear anything I said?” he pouted.

“No, sorry,” I scratched the back of my neck guiltily. “Sorry, Donghae.”

“You’ve been spacing out so much lately.” Leeteuk narrowed his eyebrows.

“Thinking...”

“Don’t you need a brain to think?”

I glared at Kyuhyun, who turned back around to face the front, grinning like a maniac.

“Hyung,” I spoke to the manager. “I have a, uh, request.”

“Yes, Hyukjae?” he sighed deeply, like he knew that I was gonna ask a lot of him.

“Since I’m free tonight, can I go out?” I turned up the sweetness in my voice.

He glanced at me through the mirror. “Hyukjae, don’t you think it’s weird that you spend too much time with Hyoyeon, when she isn’t even your girlfriend?”

Ryeowook let out a high-pitched laugh that I could have mistaken for Leeteuk’s. Donghae kept nudging me while Siwon’s eyes were bulging again.

“It’s not Hyoyeon!” I folded my arms grumpily.

“It’s not?” Five voices asked in shock.

“Well, yes--”

“I called it.” Donghae put his hand up as high as he could.

“And no,” I finished.

“No?” Siwon repeated.

“I just asked her to come along with me and Gyuri--”

“Park Gyuri?” Kyuhyun spun around, stretching as far as he could while wearing the seatbelt. “KARA?”

“She kinda asked me out, um, I think.” I laughed nervously.

“Wow,” Ryeowook muttered.

“You idiot!” Leeteuk leaned over to smack my head. “How could you bring Hyoyeon to a date?”

“What? No, it’s just ‘cause--”

“Yeah, imagine how that’ll be for her!” Donghae chimed in.

Would I ever get a chance to talk?

“You can go, Hyukjae, but only because I trust Hyoyeon.” the manager said sternly.

“Aw, hyung, why don’t you trust me?”

“You’re just you.”

Kyuhyun nodded furiously and Leeteuk went on to lecture me about girls. I listened to about half of it. He said something like, “Poor Gyuri! She’ll think you’re leading her on if you bring Hyoyeon along. I know you like Hyoyeon a lot, but you can’t just do that to Gyuri. I think you shouldn’t even have accepted in the first place...”

And then I tuned him out.


4000+ word update. Now don't harass me to update soon, s'il vous plait? DX

P.S. This IS a short story, keep in mind, so it'll probably have maybe 15 chapters max. As sad as that makes me...