Chapter Seven: Hyoyeon

I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That

“I had no idea so many fans would show up.” Tiffany raved to me, still super energetic from the fansigning.

It had just ended about seven minutes ago and we were now all resting on our tricked-out custom pink bus. American SONEs were definitely way different than Asian SONEs. They were more obsessive, or rather, spazzy, in a way. Some couldn’t even respond to us and make small talk, while others continuously squealed and said, “Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!”

I thought they were pretty cute. Endearing, was maybe the better word. Either way, I loved them.

I smiled. “Me either; it was crazy!”

“I think my English .” Sooyoung slapped her forehead. “Ugh, Fany, you need to give me lessons again.”

“I’ll give you a short lesson at the airport.” Tiffany waved her hand dismissively.

“No, no, I need a thorough lesson!” Sooyoung rejected Tiffany’s idea.

“I miss Jessica!” Yuri wailed randomly. (1)

“What about me?” Yoona scoffed, glancing up from a magazine to act offended.

“YoonYul is still real!” Yuri hugged Yoona, and the latter was doing her best to push Yuri away.

“I miss Sungmin,” Sunny pouted.

“We don’t care.” Taeyeon said, directing her insensitive words at Sunny.

“Don’t be bitter just because you and Leeteuk-oppa are off at the moment.” Sunny snapped back huffily.

I grinned at the commotion and glanced briefly at the quiet maknae, sitting alone in the back of the bus and reading. I got up and joined her in the empty seat and looked over her shoulder.

“Whatcha reading there?” I squinted at the tiny print; how in the world could Seohyun read this with a bus bumping down the road? Knowing Seohyun, wouldn’t she be the one to nag us for not reading in a moving vehicle because it would cause headaches, which would ultimately lead to blah-blah-blah and blah-blah.

“It’s a book about people’s minds,” Seohyun replied idly, eyes moving across the pages rapidly.

“Oh,” my interest piqued at the word ‘minds’.

Would the book be able to tell me anything at all about what was going on between me and Hyukjae?

“It’s so fascinating,” Seohyun murmured, as she turned the page.

“Does it have anything about mind reading?” I asked as casually as I could.

“Hm?” she finally looked up. “No, unnie, it’s about how the mind works and the subconscious, conscious, unconscious; things like that.”

My face fell. “Aw, never mind then.”

“Why, unnie?”

“It’s nothing,” I shook my head, returning to the seat I shared with Tiffany.

“Ready to go home?” she grinned at me, nudging my shoulder with hers.

“Yes,” I said almost instantly, laughing.

“Am I the only one who wants to stay here?” Tiffany puffed her cheeks out.

“Yes,” six girls (minus Seohyun) answered in total unison.

“Well, you and Jessica,” Taeyeon corrected.

“I miss Korean food.” I held my hand to my stomach and groaned.

“They have Korean food here; you just all think it’s disgusting.” Tiffany poked me in the stomach.

“It’s not authentic!” I fought back. “It tastes so different.”

“It tastes fine,” Tiffany shrugged.

“Foreigner,” I stuck my tongue out at her like the choding I was.

“Yah,” she smacked my arm with back of her hand.

The bus ride to the airport didn’t take too long, to everyone’s happiness (minus Tiffany). We took a chartered plane to New York and boarded the same plane for our flight back to Korea. It was really luxurious and all, but I sometimes missed the good old-fashioned I’m-a-normal-every-day-person-so-I-ride-this-kind-of-plane plane. Sooyoung and I used to people watch, while some of the passengers would whisper secretly to each other and we would catch our names. Sooyoung fell asleep on me a lot though, but it was okay because I was able to entertain myself by doing random things--calling the flight attendant over and practicing my English, flipping through the complimentary flight magazines, playing games on my iPod.

That, and Hyukjae would never, ever leave me alone. He would constantly text-bomb me and leave dorky voicemails that I for some reason, kept on my phone, and did not delete.

“Is this the phone of Miss Kim Hyoyeon? This is Mr. Lee Hyukjae, who is wishing to speak with her.”

“HYOYEON! GUESS WHAT?” a long pause, and then, “HI!”

“Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hyoyeon. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey.”

“So I have a joke...but I forgot the punch line.”

He is such a dweeb, I thought to myself.

It felt weird that he didn’t respond back mentally by saying something like, “But you know you love me,” or, “Meh!”

Oddly enough, I could guess the things he would say.

But that was what best friends did, though, right?

I sure hope so.

While sitting next to the window (as Seohyun graciously offered me that seat) staring down at the fluffy white clouds, it hit me then that I hadn’t heard from him for two days? Three? I couldn’t remember when he called me and I was much too lazy to check on my phone.

“Unnie, you look really exhausted,” Seohyun commented, scrutinizing my features.

“I’ll be alright.”

“Get some sleep, it’s a long flight anyway.” she advised in a gentle motherly tone.

I stretched my legs out on her and rested my head against the window. “Wake me up when we’re home.”

“Of course I will.”

I smiled gratefully at her--I was always so grateful to have Seohyun--and closed my eyes; soon, I drifted off into Dreamland.

-----

I didn’t know what time it was when I woke up, but it was dark, definitely dark. Something told me we were close to Korea. I indolently reached for my phone in my front jeans pocket and squinted at the bright light that flashed before me. The clock was aligned with Taiwan’s time, so my hunch was right. We were close.

My stomach growled; I hadn’t eaten in a long time.

Seohyun was peacefully asleep, her book strewn on the ground. I cautiously removed my legs from her, stooped down to pick the book up, and placed it on my seat, sticking the bookmark on page sixty-five. I tiptoed (not wanting to wake the other girls) to the small kitchen area and rummaged through the refrigerator for some sort of snack to satisfy my hunger.

Man, I need to stop thinking about Hyoyeon already.

Hearing a voice loud and clear, I jumped a bit, startled. I rattled the contents of the refrigerator on accident. I bit my lip and peered my head back out into the seating area.

All the girls were still sound asleep, to my relief.

I shut the refrigerator door and shivered. Whether it was from the cold air conditioning on the plane or from the voice, I wasn’t sure.

What, or who, was that?

Hyoyeon?

And there it was again. This time, the voice said my name.

“Who are you?” I whispered to no one.

What the--wait! Holy crap! Hyoyeon! HYOYEON!

And then I felt stupid, because the voice was obviously and unmistakably Lee Hyukjae’s.

Hyukjae...?

IT’S BACK!

Don’t get too excited, now. I laughed silently to myself.

I was so bored! Now I can talk to you! Did you miss me? I missed you! Hyoyeon!

How did it come back? I dodged his other questions for the time being.

Fate loves us.

Fate hates you; it gave you a broken leg once, remember?

That was way back when, so it doesn’t matter or count.

Whatever.

Come on, you’re happy to hear from me, aren’t you?

No.

Lying~

Fine.

I knew it!

Yeah, I’m sure you did...

I have so much to tell you. Where to start?

Did you meet a pretty Taiwanese girl or something?

Eh? No.

Lying~ I mocked him.

Am not! The prettiest girl is in Korea. (Well, actually, she’s on a plane right now.)

Well, that confirms my suspicions. You like Sooyoung, don’t you? I knew it...

Hey! Accept my compliment.

And?

Give me one in return, duh.

You’re so full of yourself. Did your head get bigger in Taiwan?

Maybe a little...

Thought so.

Ahem, I’m waiting for that compliment, Hyo.

How about, I missed you too?

That also works. Did you really, though?

You can tell if I’m lying or not, right?

Oh yeah! The awesome powers of mind reading.

Not mind reading, thought-sharing!

Those are the same things!

Are not!

Are too!

Not!

You know...

I know what?

I kinda missed arguing with you like this.

Gee, glad to know you love seeing me riled up.

No, not like that! Just, we’re back to our usual dynamic.

And what’s that?

You and me talking about random things, arguing about random things, but all the while, maintaining the best friendship.

You don’t sound too happy about that.

About what?

Friendship.

Huh? What are you talking about?

I shook my head. Maybe I’m tired. I just woke up.

Did I wake you up?

Nope, I was hungry.

Psh, aren’t you always?

No! I haven’t eaten in hours!

I just ate. Hehe.

Shut up.

Never! I still have things to tell you!

Can’t it wait till you’re back home?

But I’m here for like two more days!

Are you pouting?

Men don’t pout.

You’re not a man, you’re a boy.

I’m 26 and I’m STILL not considered a man?

It’s not my fault you act twenty years younger!

I think you’re confusing me with Donghae.

Donghae’s five, you’re six.

I’m 26!

Physically, yes; mentally, not even close.

You’re hurting my feelings.

Crybaby.

I haven’t cried in two weeks!

Most “men” haven’t cried in at least a year, maybe a few months.

I don’t think boys have abs though, Hyoyeon.

Please shut up about that.

It’s the only thing I can hold over your head and that you can’t beat, so no.

Oh, I forgot to tell you. I mean, I avoided telling you.

What happened?!

It’s nothing bad, but when you come back to Korea, I’ll be leaving for Paris soon.

What?! For what? Wait, that Music Bank thing. Right?

Bingo.

Ugh, why wasn’t Super Junior invited?

You guys are busy all the time! Why do you think you guys aren’t going?

Note to self: Bug Onew later.

Why are you gonna bug Onew? He’s a nice kid!

Hey! You weren’t supposed to hear that!

But I did, so you might as well tell me? Pretty please?

No.

Jerk.

Call me whatever you want, but I’m not telling you.

.

That wounded me.

I was kidding! Best friend? Hyukjae?

Not good enough.

Stop pouting and I’ll bring chocolate strawberries when you come home.

Who was pouting? Pfft, not me. Chocolate strawberries?

Your favorite~

When and where?

I’ll just drop them off at your dorm, okay?

Noooo!

What?

Eat them with me!

Since you can’t hear me, I’m gasping! When did you start sharing your favorite sweets?

I’m a generous person, alright?

Right.

Are you gonna come then?

I don’t think I’ll be allowed. My manager kind of “grounded” me for missing my curfew.

Grounded?

I can’t hang out with you. That’s what he said.

WHAT? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE. OUT. RAGE.

Take your rage up with him then!

Is he trying to ruin my life?!

It’s only for a month!

WHAT?!

Sorry?

Okay, here’s the plan.

Ugh, no plan. Just live with it, Hyukjae. You’ll survive without me. Wait, no, I take that back. You cannot survive without me because you are a helpless person.

Wow, thanks. Now here’s my plan.

Oh, great.

I’m gonna throw rocks at your window. Then you’ll know that it’s the signal from me. You open your window, and then jump out into my waiting arms.

ARE YOU INSANE? Do you know how high up my dorm is?

I don’t remember, actually...

Dude, I could die!

That’s why you jump into my arms, gosh. Are you listening to me?

How do you know I’ll land in your arms instead of on my face in a shrub?

Because I’d never let you get hurt. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if you were in the hospital.

Aw, that’s--

That, and if you were in the hospital because of me, I would never be able to hang out with you again, thanks to your managers.

And now you’re back to your selfish self.

Selfish? I’m being thoughtful and concerned!

For yourself!

“Hyoyeon, why are you standing in the dark?” Tiffany’s voice came through the pitch black.

She flipped on the tiny light switch by the entrance and her eyes were half-closed. She stumbled over to me, probably not fully awake yet.

“I was hungry,” I smiled.

And you missed me a bunch, so you just had to talk to me.

Quiet.

“We’ll be home in a few hours, and then we can pig out.” Tiffany managed to give me a cheerful eye-smile.

I grinned. “I can’t wait for that! The Korean food in America was gross.”

She laughed and hit my arm. “It tasted fine, like I said!”

“Nuh-uh, it was way different!”

Taiwanese food is really good.

Yeah, I know, Hyukjae; I’ve had it.

You should come to Taiwan with me.

My manager would murder me. No, Soo-man-sungsaengnim would murder me.

He loves me though, he wouldn’t care!

Think about how ELFs and SONEs would react, O Smart One.

ELFs don’t hate you!

A lot of them hate ME with YOU.

I don’t even know why, you’re not a threat.

Are you trying to say I’m--?

No, I was trying to say that you’re a beautiful person with a lovely personality and I admire you greatly and you’re ten thousand times better at dancing than me.

Nice save, Hyukjae.

You gotta admit--I’m amazing at flattering people.

“Hyoyeon?” Tiffany called, balling her hand into a fist and knocking on my head lightly. “Did you fall asleep with your eyes open?”

“Yeah,” I bluffed, “Really tired.”

“I’ll make you a quick snack, you go and sit down.” Tiffany pushed me out of the kitchen area with two hands on my back.

“You sure?”

“Positive!” Tiffany beamed.

I shrugged and headed back to my seat, taking great care not to stir Seohyun.

So you can’t enjoy strawberries with me?

Nope. I don’t want to get in to more trouble than I already am in. Trust me, I’d happily come and eat with you if I could.

Hmph, managers.

Yeah, I know. It’ll be okay! Share with Donghae!

He’ll end up eating all of them!

If it’s okay with you, I kind of wanna sleep now.

But isn’t Tiffany making food for you?

It’ll be fine; she can give it to Sooyoung or something.

Ah, yes, the shikshin.

Yes. Why do I feel like I’m forgetting something?

Huh?

OH! You need to give me like four hints!

Hints? Oh, that.

Tell me so I can sleep.

I’ll give you ONE when you drop by at the dorm.

Only one?

One.

Why one? Oh, well, whatever. Fine.

Sleeping now?

Yeah, I should.

Sweet dreams (of me)!

Maybe, Hyukjae. Maybe.

-----

The minute our plane landed in Korea, Hyukjae started bombarding me with the most bizarre questions. I did my best to be a good friend and tell him to go to sleep and rest up for the next day’s show, but he wouldn’t listen to me. He insisted on talking--correction, irritating--to me.

Hey, Hyoyeon, what’s your eleventh favorite color?

Uh, I don’t think I have one.

I know your top ten favorite colors--green, gold, red, black, light pink, dark blue, orange, purple, light blue, and white.

WOW. I didn’t think you were paying attention to me when I rattled off all those colors four freaking years ago.

Don’t be silly. What’s lucky number eleven?

I don’t know. There’re too many colors, and for the record, eleven is not lucky to me. Four is.

Aw, my birthday?

No, you dork. Goodness, it’s just a number.

You have to have one!

Um, navy blue. Why not?

Who’s your second best friend?

What kind of question is that?

Your first best friend is very, very curious.

Talk about self-absorbed...

Well?

I don’t have one. There can only be one “best”. Isn’t that what the word means?

So I’m the best?

If I say yes, will you leave me alone?

Nice try, but no.

Goodnight, Hyukjae!

But I’m not tired!

Aren’t you keeping whoever you’re sharing a room with up?

Sungmin? He’s been texting Sunny.

I glanced behind me and saw Sunny furiously typing away on her phone. So he was telling the truth.

For the sake of Super Junior, PLEASE go to bed!

But--

If you’re really my best friend, you will listen to me.

You’re lucky I can’t think of something to beat that.

Score one for Hyoyeon!

I’ll be back to bug you in the morning, just to let you know.

And I’ll go find Yuri’s earmuffs.

You can’t stop me~

SLEEP.

My eyes are closed!

Stop talking to me then!

FINE!

I swear, sometimes, he was infinitely more immature than Donghae. He didn’t respond to my comment, so I assumed he went to bed, at long last. I pitied his mother. What was it like, raising that troublesome boy? Maybe he was different as a kid, but I had no knowledge about that.

I gave him about three minutes, but there was nothing.

He fell asleep, I guessed. Poor guy, he was probably really tired. And I was the reason he stayed up.

I was the reason.

Me.

And the only thing I could wonder was, why me?


(1): Jessica left New York early and wasn't there for the fanmeeting.

Hm, how exactly did HyoHyuk regain their telepathy-ness? It may be obvious, it may not be. But you probably don't know why that happened if you know the trick behind this whole thing. What am I rambling on about? It may be nothing, but it may be everything. Hehe.

So this chapter is like 2930 words. OMG I didn't make it to 3000. But I couldn't find anything else to add, so yeah. Hope it's alright with you all? (Knowing you shippers, it's more than alright, hehe.)