Chapter Two: Hyukjae

I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That

Note: The gif is Hyukjae flying. True monkey.


“LEE HYUKJAE!”

Who the heck was screaming in my ear? I blinked my eyes open and squinted, as my eyes adjusted to the bright light.

And of course, I wasn’t that surprised to see Sooyoung standing over me, glaring daggers. Wow, she looked royally pissed.

“What?” I mumbled sleepily.

“Did I approve this?” she pointed urgently at Hyoyeon’s arm, which was hanging off the couch.

And I was holding her hand.

Well, I should start writing my will. Would I even live that long? Maybe Donghae would help me.

“Uh...” I trailed off, not knowing what to say for myself.

“Wait, let me take a picture first!” Tiffany whispered, squealing and diving in between Sooyoung and me.

“Tiffany, what--”

A click went off and she took a picture of me and Hyoyeon.

I would never, ever understand girls.

“Did you do anything to her?” Sooyoung demanded, lowering her voice to a whisper so she wouldn’t wake Hyoyeon.

“No, since you left, we just slept.”

“Together?” she yelped, putting a hand to her chest dramatically.

“This isn’t sleeping together.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“You guys aren’t even dating and this happens. Fany, remind me to take Hyoyeon to the doctor to check...” Sooyoung’s voice faded as she went out of earshot by heading down the hallway and I didn’t really wanna know how she was gonna finish that sentence.

Hyukjae...

I smiled; she was thinking about me in her sleep. It was all too adorable.

You moron.

And there went the potential romance. She always killed it.

I sighed and sat up, stretching a little. My back ached from sleeping on the floor. I took a glimpse of Hyoyeon’s peaceful sleeping figure. I glanced at our entwined hands and reluctantly began to pull away from her.

But she was holding on to me with all her strength--not that I minded. Heh.

I decided to try and talk to her without talking. I enjoyed this new power immensely.

Hyoyeon, let go.

No.

Hyoyeon, wake up!

No.

Are you gonna keep saying that?

No.

You’re so stubborn.

Don’t leave.

Do you love me that much?

No, my hands are cold.

Always one to ruin moments; I sighed again.

“Oppa, are you hungry?” Tiffany asked quietly, poking her head into the room.

I grinned at her. “Yeah, a little.”

“I’ll order some food then; the other girls should be coming home soon anyway.” Tiffany’s eyes turned up into crescents as she pulled her phone out.

I simply nodded and lay back down on the floor.

Something didn’t feel right.

“Tiffany,” I said.

She came back and frowned. “What’s wrong?”

“What time is it?”

She retrieved her phone again and tapped the screen. “Almost 6:00?”

I mentally cursed. “God, I was supposed to be at rehearsal an hour ago!”

“FAME?” she asked.

I groaned and nodded. “I’m screwed.”

“Well, just go now and make up an excuse.” Tiffany waved her hands anxiously.

I stretched my left arm to the coffee table and picked up my phone.

I had over twenty unread messages and twelve missed calls. I slapped my forehead in frustration. “Everyone was looking for me.”

“You mean you didn’t tell anyone you came here this morning?” Tiffany put a hand on her hip.

“Um, no. I didn’t think I’d fall asleep.”

“Call your manager or something then!”

I groaned again. “He’ll be so pissed.”

“Better late than never; it’s our last show, Eunhyuk!” Tiffany raised an eyebrow at me.

“But, Hyoyeon...” I looked at our hands.

“Just let go.”

“Yeah, easier said than done.”

“Here, I’ll help.” Tiffany got on her knees and rolled up her sleeves. “Pull away, okay?”

I nodded.

“On the count of three; 1, 2, 3!”

I wrenched my hand away from Hyoyeon’s while Tiffany attempted to yank us apart.

“Alright, we got it!” I high-fived her and slipped my jacket on, flipping my phone open and scrolling through my contacts.

“I’ll take care of her then for a bit; then I’ll call Sooyoung over.” Tiffany sat in my spot by Hyoyeon.

“Thanks, Tiffany.” I smiled gratefully, about to run out the door, when I suddenly remembered. “Wait!”

“What now?”

“Hyoyeon was supposed to go to the show!” I pouted.

“She’s sick, she can’t go!” Tiffany argued.

“She promised!” I whined; she never saw me perform once, it just wasn’t fair.

“What is with all the yelling and screaming?” Hyoyeon asked huffily, throwing the blanket over her face.

“You can’t be sick, you have to come to my show!” I told her.

She peeled the blanket off her face and looked sorry. “Oh gosh, you’re right.”

“Hyoyeon, you’re too sick.” Tiffany insisted, her motherly instincts taking over.

“I promised him.” Hyoyeon began to sit up.

“If you care for her at all, you won’t make her go.” Tiffany stared fiercely at me.

I sighed. Why did she have to be right?

I can go.

No, you’re not going. Sit down.

Don’t tell me what to do.

I want you getting better, not sicker, Hyoyeon. Sit down.

I’m not a dog!

I never called you one!

You’re treating me like one!

I’m not gonna be selfish, so just stay home.

I’m fine though!

Tiffany watched our silent interaction with perplexity. “Why are you guys having a staredown?”

I coughed. “I’ll be going then.”

“I’m coming too!” Hyoyeon interjected quickly.

Her stubbornness was the smallest bit cute sometimes.

Aw, thanks.

Go away.

Now you understand what it’s like.

The sound of someone pounding at the door resonated through the dorm. I winced. “That’s probably my manager.”

“Good luck,” Tiffany patted my shoulder. “I’ll meet you there in a bit.”

“Thanks; you, get better, okay?” I grinned at Hyoyeon.

“Have fun,” she said grumpily to me.

Aw, someone’s upset that she can’t see her best friend play a hot bad boy on stage.

Leave already!

That’s kinda what I was gonna do.

“Bye,” I said to her with finality, lightly punching her arm.

“Hey, I do the abusing in this relationship.” she joked, grinning.

“So there’s a relationship?”

“You wish.”

Yeah, I do wish.

Maybe.

Maybe what?

Never mind; you’ll do great tonight.

“Hi, hyung,” I said sheepishly at the front door.

“Hyukjae, you are so lucky I’m the cool hyung.” he sighed and dragged me to the van.

I grinned widely. “That’s why you’re my favorite.”

What does that make me?

He’s my favorite hyung; you’re my favorite girl.

I’m telling your Sora-noona about this.

You’re so dumb sometimes.

What?!

Nothing, go rest, Hyoyeon.

Perform like I’m there, okay?

I always do.

-----

“There’s our musical star!”

“Hi, hyung,” I greeted Jungsu/Leeteuk (I call him both) when I arrived home.

“Did you cry?” Kyuhyun glanced up at me for a second from his laptop from his position on the ground.

I joined the few members in the living room. “Shut up!”

Did you cry?

Maybe.

Aww, Crybaby.

Shouldn’t you be resting?

I slept for so long that I’m probably not gonna sleep much tonight. Besides, I feel fine.

I doubt that.

“What are you doing?” Donghae chuckled, punching my shoulder.

I slumped on to the ground beside Kyuhyun and feigned innocence. “Um, nothing.”

“You looked crazed,” Kyuhyun smirked at his laptop screen, in the midst of his very important game of Starcraft.

“You hungry?” Sungmin piped up.

“Oh, Sungmin, you’re a lifesaver.”

Sungmin laughed and left to go to the kitchen.

“How’d the show go?” Leeteuk asked.

“Ah, good, I guess.”

“I wanted to go.” Donghae pouted, lying down on the carpet.

“You went already.” Kyuhyun pointed out as he destroyed something.

“So?”

“Hyukjae-ah, where were you this morning?” Leeteuk spoke up suddenly, eyeing me suspiciously.

“What do you mean?” Did he not know I was at Hyoyeon’s?

Why wouldn’t the manager tell them? It’s not like it was a secret that I always went to their dorm.

“Yeah, you left super early in the morning.” Kyuhyun had an eyebrow raised.

“And then you didn’t answer your phone!” Donghae grinned knowingly at me; he probably knew exactly where I went, he was just playing along for the fun of it.

“I was at...”

“At?” Leeteuk urged.

To tell him or not...

I thought about the different consequences in my head. I remembered the last time I got caught at SNSD’s dorm; the leader was very, very angry with me. He took away my phone--like he even had the right to!--and that made for a sad Hyukjae for one whole week.

If I didn’t tell him, he’d probably keep annoying me. Goody.

Choices, choices.

He took away your phone?

I know right? He acts like my mom.

Taeyeon acts like mine.

Wow, never knew that the leader couple was gay.

You have an odd mind, Hyukjae.

Thank you, thank you.

Wasn’t a compliment.

“Um, I was at SHINee’s dorm.” I lied.

“For what?” Donghae’s eyes were wide; this kid was messing with me. He just wanted to get me into trouble, didn’t he?

“I had to talk to Taemin.”

“About?” Kyuhyun smirked; I think he finally caught on and was just messing with me too.

Those brats.

“Dance; you guys wouldn’t really understand.” I said dismissively.

“I’d understand!” Donghae chirped happily.

“Well?” Leeteuk stared at me expectantly.

Your fail amuses me.

Shut up--wait, why are you thinking about Doojoon?

I just texted him!

Why?

He texted me!

And you texted back?

Well, Hyukjae, in Korea, if a person texts you, the polite thing to do is reply.

He’s a player.

Says the player.

I’m not a player!

“Hyuk, you’re doing it again.” Donghae snapped his fingers in my face.

“W-What?”

“Spacing out; you like you’re arguing with yourself.” Kyuhyun smirked, amused.

“I’m going to bed!” I announced quickly, rising from the floor and making a beeline to my room.

“I just finished slaving over a hot stove for you!” Sungmin cried, visibly upset.

It was times like these that I was thankful for having my own room. Those guys could be so intrusive sometimes. I locked my door and collapsed on to my bed, exhaling loudly. Why did Doojoon text Hyoyeon? I knew I didn’t like him the minute he walked into the Sukira studio and claimed Hyoyeon.

He texted me ‘cause we’re friends and no one ever claimed me!

Huh? Oh, hi, Hyoyeon.

I’m not an item to be claimed.

I never said that!

It was implied.

Since when were you two such good friends?

We’re not good friends, just friends.

But it’s so obvious he likes you.

He doesn’t like me!

So the bouquet of flowers and box of chocolates he sent you last Valentine’s Day meant nothing to you?

What flowers and chocolates?

Oh yeah, I went to your dorm and took it before you could get it. Hehe, right.

You...you did what?

I was protecting you from him! He’s a creep who doesn’t deserve you!

YOU’RE THE CREEP! YOU HAVE !

I deleted that this morning!

Truth?

I deleted half of that this morning!

That, I’ll believe.

Stop texting him.

You don’t control me--what the heck?

What’d he say to you? Do I need to beat him up?

Uh, I’m pretty sure he’d beat you in a fight.

Have you seen my muscles?

No, but Seohyun saw ‘em this morning and passed out, you dweeb.

What’d he say?

Nothing, don’t worry about it.

If you tell me to not worry one more time, I will flick you, Hyoyeon.

He just asked me out. Probably sent it to the wrong person.

HE IS SO GETTING BEAT UP.

I told you, you can’t beat him up! He’s like, ripped!

...How would you know that?

Crap, I can’t let him know that I’ve seen him shirtless before.

YOU WHAT?!

Oops. Goodnight, Hyukjae!

You’re not going to bed, it’s only 11!

Wow, nothing is secret anymore.

WHEN DID YOU SEE DOOJOON SHIRTLESS?

Never.

I heard you say it, err, think it. WHEN?

It was an accident! We were at like Music Bank or something and I was backstage and I accidentally walked into their dressing room. (But dang, he was hot.)

I personally think I’m hotter than him, Hyo.

It’s cute how you keep on holding on to that belief.

You...are mean.

My phone made a tiny twinkling sound and I checked the new text. Ah, it was from Gyuri.

YOU’RE TEXTING GYURI?!

Aw, you’re jealous...

Nah, I’m just showing you how ridiculously stupid you sound. I’m friends with her, remember?

Why do you always insult me?

‘Cause I’m your best friend, therefore, I am allowed to.

I rolled my eyes and scanned my eyes over the text. It was almost too creepy, because she asked me if I was free tomorrow. Too. Weird.

She asked you out?

Hm, never knew she liked me.

It’s kind of obvious; you never noticed?

I typed a quick reply that I wasn’t sure about my schedules and that I would text her in the morning and tossed my phone to the ground carelessly. I never noticed anything funny around her; she was just a nice dongsaeng. Honestly, I was quite oblivious to all girls, except for one, of course. I don’t know how on Earth I came off as a player at times on variety shows.

She asked me for advice about you before.

What--she--why?

She said that I was really close to you and she wanted to know how to impress you and stuff.

People think we’re close?

Well, we are, aren’t we?

We are, we are...

I found myself smiling like a total idiot and wanted to punch myself.

So you like someone?

I bit my lip and tried thinking about monkeys eating bananas. Then I imagined Super Junior as colorful oversized vegetables. Cooking? Cooking!--now that was a fun time.

Uh, are you okay? Is there a reason I hear “SUPER JUNIOR VEGETABLES.” running through your head?

Not really. Well, it’s late, we should sleep!

You said yourself, it’s only 11. Come on, who do you like?

It went way beyond like. But I’d never tell her that.

So it’s love?

And of course, there was no way to block out anything I thought; marvelous.

What are you talking about? Playing dumb, the oldest trick in the book and the one that usually almost always failed but heck, I was desperate.

You said you’re oblivious to all girls except one. Who’s the lucky girl?

You. (STUPID BRAIN.)

Stop joking around and tell me, I’m dying to know!

I ran my hand over my face; there was just no denying that in this world, there existed some extremely, extremely dense people.

Hyoyeon, are you kidding me?

What?

You’re kidding, right?

About what?

How about this?

Yeah?

I’ll give you one hint each day until you figure it out.

Hm, sounds fair. First hint?

She likes chocolate.

Doesn’t every girl like chocolate?

Do they? I don’t know, I’m not a chick!

Give me a better hint!

She’s an idol.

Crappy hint.

What? It could’ve been an actress!

Well, you said something about being oblivious. So it has to be someone you see fairly often, right?

Smart girl.

Yeah, yeah, give me a real hint now!

Let’s see...she’s close to my best friend.

Donghae?

That’s all you get.

Fine, fair enough.

Heh, good luck.

I silently made a prayer to God that she would never guess who it was.

Why don’t you want me to know?

I didn’t say anything!

I heard you pray.

Jesus.

Yeah, to Jesus.

No, I meant--forget it. Just, good luck.

I WILL figure this out.

Sure, sure.

Without changing out of my clothes, I turned the lights off, letting darkness flood into the room. I climbed into bed and decided to fall asleep as fast as possible before I started thinking about a certain girl.

Sweet dreams, by the way.

Aw, you care, somewhat.

Get over yourself, please.

Never.

My life was so screwed from here on out now that my head was like a library and she could just waltz in and read everything.

I prayed to God once more.


I'm writing quite quickly for this, which I'm happy about! I'm also happy that a ton of you like this story. HyoHyuk shippers are the best. ;~;