Chapter One: Hyoyeon

I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That

Italics / Hyoyeon's thoughts

Bold / Hyukjae's thoughts


“I better get an A on this stupid project.” a female teenager muttered, putting the finishing touches on her contraption.

She stood up and admired it from a distance. Eh, it was decent. She had spent nearly four hours constructing it, and she thought she had worked diligently in that time. She printed out the paper that went along with the project and placed it in her school bag before she could forget.

“Soomi!” came the high-pitched voice of her baby sister.

“What is it?” Soomi grumbled, stalking out of her bedroom huffily.

Moments later, Soomi’s mother had entered the room, in search of trash or recyclables. She scanned the floor and picked up balls of paper, other random scraps and wrappers and the like. She went over to the desk and gathered the aluminum-looking thing in her arms and exited the room shortly after, hurrying downstairs so she could set the stuff outside in time for the garbage collectors to come by.

She opened the front door and gasped, almost being blown over by the wind. It was extremely gusty, and the winds were blowing objects over with ease. Soomi’s mother cautiously went to the end of the driveway and dumped the materials she was holding into the large green bin. Then she quickly shuffled back inside, wrapping her shawl around her tighter.

Such wild weather today,she noted.

“Soomi, come downstairs and help me make dinner!” the mother called up the stairs.

“Coming!”

-----

“Why couldn’t you come, Hyoyeon?”

I rolled my eyes for the fifth time. “I told you I would have a schedule, didn’t I?”

“And that’s more important than my aspiring musical career?”

I heard snickers in the background; it must have been Donghae, Kyuhyun, or Heechul. Or maybe all three. I knew that the trio had gone to the performance earlier tonight, so it was only normal that they were probably riding home all together.

“I’ll come to the next show!” I promised him, placing the phone between my shoulder and ear so I could change into my pajamas.

“It’s tomorrow night, can you make it?”

“I think so.”

“But that’s the very last show!”

So whiny, that boy. I held back an agitated sigh.

“Well, it’ll be more special then, won’t it? Since it’s the last one and all.” I rolled my eyes again; this kid was ridiculously babyish at all times.

“You promise then?”

“I swear.”

“Pinky swear?”

“Hyukjae, if you haven’t noticed, I am on the phone with you and there is no way we can pinky swear.” I flopped down on to my bed and pulled the hair tie out, letting my blonde locks flow naturally.

“Oh, right.”

“Just take my word on it, okay?”

“Fine. I just--”

There was a long pause, and then I heard the dial tone.

Frowning, I glanced at my dimming phone screen. Tapping it, I saw that he had ended the call.

I shrugged it off, assuming that Donghae, Heechul, or Kyuhyun took his phone away and hung up. They did that a lot whenever he was talking to me, which was practically every day, but I never really knew why. I got somewhat accustomed to it, strangely enough. But I didn’t really care anyway, for that matter.

I set my phone on the desk Seohyun and I shared and crawled under the covers, lying on the cold mattress. I shivered, but the soft humming of the heater soothed me to sleep soon enough, in only a few minutes.

You’d think I fell asleep contentedly, right?

No. The idiot called me back three minutes later; note to self, change ringtone to something that wasn’t SHINee.

“What?” I snapped.

“Sorry for hanging up, we just ran into this trash can that blew over from the wind.”

“Are Donghae, Kyuhyun, and Heechul okay?”

“I’m fine, thanks.”

I laughed a little. “Alright, now let me go to sleep.”

“Okay, ‘night.”

“Goodnight.”

-----

I woke up the next morning with an insanely massive headache. I rubbed my head and squinted at the rays of sunshine streaming into the room. What time was it?

7:04.

My eyes widened, alarmed. Who’s that?

Wait...Hyoyeon?

Hyukjae?!

Are you reading my thoughts? WHOA, COOL!

What the ing hell.

Language check, missy.

Don’t tell me to do! What the heck is happening?

Not sure. Do you always get up so early?

No, I had a headache.

Oh, me too. Weird. So you’re definitely coming to the show tonight, right?

You idiot! We can hear each other’s thoughts and you’re worried about me going to see you dance and sing? Like I haven’t seen that before...

What should I be worried about exactly...?

Hm, I don’t know. Maybe the fact that I can now hear every one of your erted thoughts.

I don’t have erted thoughts! (Must delete later.)

I heard that.

Well, I’m gonna go back to bed. See ya!

See--how can you be so casual about this?!

Goodnight!

Idiot, it’s the morning.

I started panicking. So my best friend could now hear everything I was thinking, at every minute of every second? This was bad. No, bad was an understatement. This was the end of life as I knew it.

Yes, Hyoyeon, I can hear you and it’s actually quite a racket in my head. Please shush so I can get some sleep.

Just close your eyes and fall asleep!

You’re talking too much!

You’re annoying!

HYOYEONNNN!

Fine, I won’t come tonight.

Ah! No, I’m sorry, Hyo! You have to come, YOU PROMISED!

Okay, okay, but don’t go blabbing to Donghae about this or whatever. I know you wanna do that.

Wow, you know me so well. (She must really love me.)

Yeah, no. Goodnight, Hyukjae.

Hurtful. You don’t love me?

Sleep.

...Fine, geez.

I held my breath and waited a whole minute. My head was silent, so I assumed he went back to sleep. I threw the blankets off and began pacing around the room frantically, while also making sure that I wouldn’t disturb Seohyun. Of all people, this had to happen to me. Me. What did I ever do wrong in my life? I had been a good girl! Pulling a few pranks here and there doesn’t count.

But still.

My whole world was practically over if he could hear every thought that went through my head. I imagined Hyukjae sleeping peacefully and almost slapped myself for letting that even enter my mind.

Ah, thinking about me as usual, Hyoyeon?

Oh my god. Get out. Please.

I wasn’t sleeping peacefully, just listening to your thoughts. Hehe.

YOU CREEP!

Whatcha gonna do about it?

Crap, you’re right. I can’t tell anyone. We can’t tell anyone.

That is correct, my dear Hyoyeon.

You’re having fun, aren’t you?

Just a little~

“Unnie, are you alright? You look angry.” Seohyun blinked the sleep out of her eyes and cocked her head at me in confusion.

“I’m fine, Seohyun, don’t worry!” I gave her a smile of false cheerfulness. “I just had this stupid headache when I woke up.”

“Oh, let me get some painkillers.” she hopped out of bed and dashed out of the room.

What a nice maknae. Some of her goodness should rub off on Kyuhyun.

Don’t you dare let that monster even come near Seohyun. She’s too good for him.

Really? I think they’d make a good match.

Pfft, yeah right.

We’d be a better match than them, though.

What?

What?

What do you mean we’d be a better match?

...I hate my life.

Huh, join the club.

“Unnie, here!” Seohyun returned with a glass of water in hand and a container of pills in the other.

“Thanks a lot, Seohyun,” I took the water as she scrutinized the bottle and handed me one pill.

Seriously, can she PLEASE rub off on Kyuhyun?

THAT SOUNDS SO SICK, YOU SICKO.

“Unnie, are you okay?” Seohyun asked, deeply concerned.

“Yeah, fine, why?”

“You’re glaring at nothing...” Seohyun cracked a smile.

Well, you seem to be in quite a pickle.

I didn’t respond to him and just laughed it off to Seohyun. “Don’t worry, Seohyun. Thanks for this.

“I’ll go make breakfast then.” she was about to leave, but stopped at the door and looked at me. “I know you usually make breakfast, but you don’t seem to be feeling well.”

“Ah, what would I do without you, Seohyun?” I pretended to wipe a tear away.

She laughed and stepped out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

Hey, Hyoyeon, can I come over?

Absolutely not. You’ve been caught twice here and you’re lucky your wasn’t busted by Soo-man.

Third time’s the charm?

Don’t you have any schedules?

Today? Nope. I’m heading over for a last quick rehearsal before FAME starts, but that’s not till later tonight.

Lovely.

COME ON! I’M YOUR BEST FRIEND!

No.

Pleeeeeease?

Nope.

What if I bring chocolate cake?

Ugh, why does he know everything about me?

‘Cause I’m your best friend! So can I come?

Why did I ever decide to tell you my life story?

You love me.

Do not.

How could I love him? Okay, he was kind of cute--hot. He was nice. Funny. But he wasn’t lovable! Much less, likable!

Aw, you’re confused about your feelings for me.

If you wanna come over, shut your mouth, get my cake, and stop being snarky. I swear, you hang around Kyuhyun way too much these days.

So you admit I’m hot?

I’m just tired, okay?

Sure, sure~

STOP BEING IRRITATING!

Hehe. Okay. Be over in fifteen.

I pressed my hands to my ears, like it would prevent me from hearing his absurd thoughts and him from hearing my sacred, private ones. I then smirked, as a plan formulated in my head. I had just discovered an excellent way to get back at him.

HYOYEON, WHAT IN THE NAME OF JESUS ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT?!

2PM, shirtless.

You meanie!

God, they’re so hot.

Wrong. I’m hotter.

I don’t think so. Junho’s better than you.

I’m ten thousand times better than that guy. He sounded angry, for whatever reason.

In my opinion, no guys beat 2PM’s abs. Well, Siwon’s abs were nice, I suppose. But he was the only guy in Super Junior who was actually built. But then there was that I Wanna Love You performance with Donghae and Hyukjae...

Images of my best friend’s abs suddenly popped into my head, replacing the almost 2PM and I swear I could just see him smirking at me.

I think so, and I think you think so too, Kim Hyoyeon.

Shut up, you.

I knew you liked my abs!

I REPEAT. YOU DON’T HAVE THEM ANYMORE.

Nuh-uh! Wanna see?

Huh?

Open the door!

I wrenched open the bedroom door and saw Seohyun already opening the front one. I was about to cry out, until it was much too late. The door was wide open, and a ridiculous-looking Hyukjae grinning like an idiot had his T-shirt pulled up, exposing his stomach.

Needless to say, Seohyun, surprised, collapsed on to the ground.

“You freaking idiot!” I ran over to where Seohyun was and lunged at Hyukjae, attacking his arm viciously. “She’s scarred for life now!”

“Scarred? This is magic.” he looked down at his stomach--the idiot was still lifting his shirt up. “Besides, I thought it was you who would answer the door.”

“Stop that already!” I hissed, pulling his shirt down.

You like it.

Maybe a li--I don’t!

“You do,” he smirked at me for real.

I rolled my eyes at him. “Help me bring Seohyun to the couch.”

I guess it looked really odd and suspicious with Hyukjae and me carrying an unconscious Seohyun to the living room couch. So when Taeyeon woke up and walked into the kitchen, where she had a clear view of us, she almost dropped her cup of morning coffee after taking a sip. She began coughing promptly after.

“H-Hyoyeon, is that Eunhyuk with you?”

“Hi, Taeyeon!” he waved merrily, letting go of Seohyun’s legs.

I fell on to my knees, as Seohyun’s frame collapsed on me. “Dude!”

Whoa, Taeyeon looks kinda hot wearing that. No wonder Teukie-hyung has a thing for her.

“Ew, don’t hit on her!” I shrieked shrilly, slapping him with all my might.

Taeyeon eyed us carefully, hearing me yell for no reason. “Uh, what?”

“Nothing!” the two of us chirped with fake happiness.

“You’re so sick.” I glared, lowering my voice.

“I’m a guy, Hyoyeon.”

“A disgusting one.”

“Gee, I’m really feeling the love from you.”

“You shouldn’t be, ‘cause there isn’t any.” I retorted irritably.

“What happened to Seohyun?” Taeyeon asked, walking over to us.”

“Uh--” we looked at each other.

Go ahead and tell Taeyeon, Hyo.

You were the one who made Seohyun pass out from horror.

You mean, awe.

No. No, I don’t.

“How long are you guys gonna stare at each other?” Taeyeon grinned at us and winked at me.

I cleared my throat and looked away. It wasn’t even like that at all; stupid everyone pairing us up for no stupid reason.

Who pairs us up?

None of your business; go away!

Yeah, I can’t, as much as you want me to.

My life is so over.

Don’t you think we’d be an awesome couple?

No.

Party pooper.

“Guys?” Taeyeon now stared at us in utter bewilderment. “What’s going on?”

“Just thinking,” we both said simultaneously, not knowing we would.

Stop stealing my lines!

It was on accident!

“Um, I’ll just watch her then.” Taeyeon shook her head, giving up on us.

“Let’s eat cake!” my mood brightened in an instant and I tugged on Hyukjae’s arm.

“Tell me you like my abs.”

“Get over yourself and your nonexistent abs.” I sat down and tried to grab the cake from his hands.

He held it out of reach and smiled smugly, since he had so much more height on me. “What’s the magic word?”

“Please?” I pouted.

She’s lucky she’s so cute or I would never give in.

My eyes widened, but I pretended I didn’t hear anything.

“Fine, fine, only because I’m so generous.” he boasted about himself.

He pulled out a plate with a gigantic piece of cake sitting on it and two forks from the bag he brought. He handed me a fork and I took it graciously, stabbing at the sweet instantly.

“Hyoyeon, you shouldn’t have cake for breakfast!” Taeyeon scolded, still trying to lift Seohyun up.

I stuck my tongue out at her. “I don’t care.”

“Here, let me.” Hyukjae put his fork down and took over for Taeyeon.

He picked Seohyun up easily, bridal-style, and carried her down the hallway. Taeyeon came over and sat at the island in the kitchen next to me and smiled.

“He’s a good guy.”

“So what?” I asked, chewing.

“Whoever gets to be his girlfriend’s gonna be a really lucky girl.”

Was she implying for me to be his girlfriend? Obviously Taeyeon wasn’t fully awake yet. Could she seriously imagine me with him? Dating? Holding hands? Hugging? Ki--

Kissing? Well, if you want to so badly--

You’re like my brother, you slimeball.

I would so be the best boyfriend ever, and you know it.

Go. Away.

Why is she always so dense?

I frowned, ignoring that last thought of his and continued to eat the cake silently.

“Oh, Hyoyeon, you don’t have any schedules today.” Taeyeon nudged me in the arm, standing up.

“It’s cool, I’ll just go to SM and practice some of our dances. I could brush up on The Boys a little.” I admitted with a casual shrug.

“Hyoyeon, you nailed that choreography months ago.” Taeyeon laughed.

“No, I didn’t! It wasn’t perfect!”

You looked kinda perfect on stage, though.

You again?

I sighed loudly and Taeyeon picked up on it. “What’s wrong?”

“Huh? Oh, nothing.”

“If you say so--hey, why don’t you take Eunhyuk with you to practice?” Taeyeon suggested with a grin.

“Why?” I began to whine.

“I’d love to come!” Hyukjae appeared just then, sidling up to me.

Too close for comfort.

Then why are you blushing?

I DON’T BLUSH.

I glared at him as he tossed an arm around me. “I didn’t say you could come! It’s something I have to work on alone.”

“Well, you’ll need a sunbae to critique you, right?”

“You’re not a sunbae,” I scoffed.

“Sounds good then!” Taeyeon nodded approvingly and left.

“Hey, we were supposed to share this!” Hyukjae picked up his fork and got a mouthful of cake.

“I thought you got it for just me,” I said defiantly.

“Pfft, greedy much?”

I disregarded his comment and was about to take the last chunk of cake, when he swooped in with his fork. I frowned and unintentionally pouted.

Ugh. She needs to stop pouting or else I’ll wanna k--

“Is there breakfast?” Sooyoung’s voice came from the back of the dorm.

“No, Sooyoung!” I called back.

I was caught off-guard when Hyukjae stuck his fork in my mouth while I was talking. “I wasn’t gonna eat it, y’know.”

I swallowed and coughed; how stupider could I get? I had chocolate stuck in my throat.

“God, Hyoyeon,” he muttered, going to the fridge.

Stop making me worry so much for you.

Sorry.

Oh--you’re here.

I’m always here, remember?

Right, right.

He returned with a bottle of water and was even so kind to uncap it for me. I took the water and drank half of it, taking enormous gulps the whole time.

I dropped my head on to the cold marble afterwards, feeling tired and oddly sick.

“Hey, you okay?” Hyukjae asked, his voice turning soft.

“Yeah, don’t worry.”

You always say that, Hyoyeon, but can’t you just let me worry for once?

I wasn’t sure if he meant for me to hear that or not; I just decided to let it go. I turned my head around so I was looking at him. “I’m fine, really!”

“You sound really tired.” he grumbled, sighing.

“I wanna go lay on the couch.”

“Okay.”

I huffed and glowered at him. “Carry me there.”

“I’m sure you’re capable of walking.” Hyukjae ruffled my hair teasingly.

I stretched out and grabbed his arm before he could walk out on me. “I’m tired, though.”

“You owe me.”

Not really, though.

Ah, this is why you’re my best friend!

I smiled up at him as he scooped me into his arms.

So heavy...

I kicked him.

“Ow!” he cried, pausing for a second.

“You don’t call a girl fat!”

“You’re not fat, you just have curves.”

“Eyes up,” I demanded, feeling strangely warm.

He set me gently down on the longest couch and rolled his eyes. “Anything else, your Excellency?”

I shook my head, putting a hand to my cheek. He noticed this and immediately placed a warm hand on my burning forehead. His eyes popped and he dropped his hand back to his side.

I’m gonna die worrying over you, Hyoyeon, I swear.

“You’re burning up,” he said instead, grimacing.

“I am?” I asked dumbly.

What am I gonna do with you...?

Sorry?

Don’t apologize.

Okay...

I stared up at the ceiling and listened to the thoughts going through Hyukjae’s mind rapidly, like he thought them, then wanted to erase them as quickly as possible before I could hear or something.

God, Hyoyeon, stop freaking me out all the time.

You don’t even know that I almost had a panic attack.

If it were me taking care of you, I’d make sure you never got sick.

Lee Hyukjae, what the heck are you saying?

Stop thinking already before she finds out you--

I slapped my hand over my mouth as a bizarre feeling came over me. I felt something rising from my stomach and nausea washed over me.

H-Hyuk--

Hearing his name in my thoughts, he dropped everything and knelt beside me. “What happened, what’s wrong?”

My cheeks puffed me and I dropped my head, vomiting a lot of brown stuff--the chocolate cake.

I coughed and when I was able to lift my head, I realized, to my horror; I had just puked all over his jeans. I let out a gasp. “Hyukjae, I’m really sorry.”

“Stop, it’s fine.” he pushed me back on to the couch.

I’m more worried for you than a pair of jeans anyways.

-----

“Stomach flu,” Seohyun confirmed, worry etched over her expressions.

Hyukjae sighed heavily and I put a hand over my stomach. “Seo, are you sure?”

“Positive, unnie.”

“How the heck did I get that?” I mumbled.

“There has been a virus going around lately.” Jessica stated, heaving a sigh.

“Oh, Hyoyeon,” Tiffany said quietly with concern.

“I’ll get better right away,” I promised the girls.

“Dancers heal quickly.” Hyukjae and I said in unprepared unison.

Sooyoung began to smirk, but Sunny elbowed her in the ribs.

Wonder why Sooyoung’s smirking...

Stealing my lines still?

I’m not gonna argue with you right now.

That’s a start.

“Hyoyeon, are you gonna be okay here?” Taeyeon questioned, placing a motherly hand on my forehead.

“Yeah, go do your schedules. Don’t--”

“Stop saying that,” Hyukjae cut me off, arms folded, looking a bit angry. “You seriously think that while you sit here sick, we’re not gonna worry?”

Thankfully, Yoona broke the silence. “Oppa, can you stay with Hyoyeon?”

“I was going to anyway,” Hyukjae grinned darkly at me.

I am screwed.

Who would screw you?

I suddenly lashed out and smacked Hyukjae in the arm, causing the girls to throw me weird looks.

It was just a joke, Hyoyeon, really!

“Why’d you do that?” Taeyeon laughed.

Liar.

Honestly, I think you’re so pretty that it makes me worried that other guys wanna--

“Need anything else?” Seohyun asked kindly.

“Please save me from him.” I muttered, giving the girls a desperate look.

“Don’t mess with her.” Yuri narrowed her eyes dangerously at Hyukjae.

“Or we’ll beat you to a pulp,” Sooyoung added.

“Actually, she’ll just beat you to a pulp.” Sunny corrected, giggling.

“Got it, she’s in good hands with me.” Hyukjae assured them all.

“You better mean that,” Jessica said threateningly.

“See you later, kiddo,” Taeyeon patted my cheek.

“Bye, Hyoyeon!” the shikshins said to me.

“Take your meds, okay?” Yuri reminded me, and I nodded.

“Get well soon!” Sunny and Tiffany smiled at me and glared a bit at Hyukjae.

What did I ever do wrong?

They don’t trust you.

And why not?

You’re skeevy.

Skeevy?

Shifty. Suspicious.

Hmph.

“No tricks, Lee Hyukjae.” Jessica warned, stepping out of the door.

“No tricks!” Hyukjae called back.

One little trick couldn’t hurt though, right?

YAH. I WILL HAVE SOOYOUNG RIP YOU APART.

Gulp.

“Bye, unnie, stay well!”

“Bye, Seohyun.”

“We’re relying on you.” Taeyeon gave Hyukjae a hard, cold stare.

“Yeah.”

“Later, Hyo.”

I waved at Taeyeon.

The door slammed and then it was quiet. I closed my eyes, forgetting Hyukjae was sitting right there, watching me. The lack of sleep wore my down and I felt my mind almost slip into unconsciousness.

Almost. If it weren’t for the fact that Hyukjae was thinking like crazy. Huh, who knew that idiot was capable of that?

She looks so pretty when she’s sleeping.

Do you hear yourself, Hyukjae? I need to stop thinking about this stuff. But I can’t even get my mind off of her for like two seconds.

Does she really like Junho better than me?

Of course not...she’s known me longer.

But it’s so obvious Junho likes her. Who wouldn’t?

Stop doubting yourself. Of course I like you better, silly. Junho’s a good friend, but you’re a best friend.

DID YOU HEAR EVERYTHING?

Uh, no. I just woke up now.

I opened my eyes and saw him staring intently at me.

Oh, okay, good. So you for sure like me better than Junho?

“Yeah, I like you better than him.” I spoke aloud, laughing a little.

“Good, ‘cause I’m way hotter than him anyway.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night...” I turned away from him so the only thing I could see was the couch.

Maybe he is, by a little.

Score one for Hyukjae.

I HAVE NO PRIVACY.

This is fun! Is it gonna be like this forever?

If so, I’m committing suicide.

If you commit suicide, I’ll cry.

I know you would, Crybaby.

I don’t cry anymore!

What about the Seoul Music Awards?

That was different.

Sure, Crybaby.

I didn’t expect it when I felt his hands tickle my sides. I screamed and burst out into a fit of crazed laughter, which ended up with me rolling off the couch and on to the carpet. He hovered over me and continued harassing me. I was so gonna tell Sooyoung.

“Take it back!” he grinned evilly.

“S-Stop!” I laughed and managed to utter out in between breaths.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HER?!”

Like two deer caught in headlights, we glanced up to see Sooyoung looming over us, glaring mainly at Hyukjae.

“Oh, hey, Sooyoung,” Hyukjae chuckled nervously. “Nice shoes.”

“Don’t look at my shoes!” she spat. “I came back to get Taeyeon’s keys and I SEE THIS HAPPENING?”

“Sooyoung, he was hurting me!” I hugged the younger girl’s long legs protectively.

“NO, I WASN’T!” Hyukjae gaped at me.

“You’re lucky I’m on a tight schedule and I can’t beat you properly.” Sooyoung slapped Hyukjae’s head. “Your punishment will come later tonight and there is no avoiding it.”

“Bye, Sooyoung!” I waved, spirits lifted.

She gave Hyukjae one last long glare and promptly strutted out.

“What a monster,” Hyukjae snorted.

“I am in pain, thanks to you.” I sniffled, feeling cold.

He noticed immediately and grabbed the blanket, getting close to my face as he wrapped it around me. “You should sleep.”

Who did he think he was, my mother?

He chuckled. “Sleep.”

Sweet dreams.


First chapter, done! So it isn't fully explained how exactly HyoHyuk are able to hear each other's thoughts. You may take a guess though; all will be revealed. But this isn't a mystery story, so that's not the main point.

The main point is the ridiculous HyoHyuk banter. (Oh, how I love that word.)

Pointing out any mistakes would be awesome and comments are awesomer.