Chapter Eight: Hyukjae

I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That

“Where are you off to in such a hurry?” Leeteuk asked when he saw me bolting out the door.

“Why are you down here on the eleventh floor?” I countered.

“I asked you first,” the leader quipped, victorious.

“Hyung!” I whined.

“Don’t you ‘hyung’ me, Hyukjae. Where are you going?” his eyes observed my face skeptically.

“The...convenience store?”

“Without a manager?”

“It’s just down the block, you know.” I trailed off, not knowing where to go next.

My lying skills never were too great, to my great disadvantage.

“Uh-huh,” Leeteuk’s arms were folded like a strict father about to bust his son for sneaking out. “The store doesn’t open at seven-thirty in the morning.”

“Did I say store? I meant to say,” I chuckled, acting like I was about to complete my sentence, when I suddenly broke out into a mad sprint.

“Yah, Lee Hyukjae!” Leeteuk screamed, racing after me. “We got back to Korea about an hour ago and you’re already getting into trouble?!”

Being the amazingly athletic Lee Hyukjae, I had the superior agility and beat him to the parking lot, jumping into a black van right as the leader arrived, panting, hands on his knees.

“Is that--hyung?” Leeteuk gaped at the driver.

“He’ll be back in time for his schedules,” Cool Manager-hyung called back, pulling out of the lot and accelerating down the road.

“I’ve told you that you’re the coolest manager, right?” I grinned at him.

He rolled his eyes at me through the overhead mirror. “Yes, Hyukjae-ah, about twenty-six times now.”

“Okay, I’m just making sure,” I leaned back in my seat, content.

“Are you sure Hyoyeon-ah is even awake?” he questioned casually.

“Who said I was going there?” I stammered, hiding it with a cleverly-produced cough.

He gave me the good old are-you-seriously-kidding-me-Hyukjae look and said, “Would there be anywhere else for you to go?”

“The...store?”

“Nice try,” the manager snickered at me, slowing down at the red light.

“Eh, it was worth a shot,” I shrugged carelessly.

“Remember, you can only be there for about half an hour, Hyukjae-ah.”

I nodded.

“No delays.”

I nodded again.

“And don’t forget our deal!”

This time, it was my turn to snicker. “Yes, hyung, I’ll talk to the coordi-noona for you.”

He glared at me. “No tricks.”

“No tricks,” I promised, grinning cheerfully and holding my hands up innocently.

As if I were capable of being innocent, I laughed mentally.

“You worry me sometimes,” he sighed deeply, turning left.

“Hyung, are you sure that noona doesn’t like the one PD--”

“Can it, Hyukjae.”

I smiled evilly and twiddled my thumbs mindlessly, as we came upon the girls’ dorm.

“Paper,” I requested, exiting the car and walking to the driver’s seat.

The manager rolled down the window and dropped a small piece of folded-up paper into my open palm. I closed my fist and smiled and he gave me a stern look. “Thirty minutes; I’ll make a quick run to SM since it’s only five minutes away and I’ll be right back.”

“Thanks,” I waved him off.

“Watch the time!” he shouted to me.

I gave him a thumbs-up and headed into the building. I unfolded the piece of paper and muttered the passcode to myself as I punched the numbers into the keypad. The little red light turned green and I slowly turned the doorknob, tiptoeing my way inside. The lights were off, but the sunlight from outside was let into the living room by the open curtains. Clearly, someone was awake.

I crept into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. Instantly, I spotted them--the box of strawberries hidden away in the back! I greedily reached for them, pushing other containers and boxes aside. Cradling it in my right arm, I took some Nutella and held it in my left hand.

Nutella was this great thing from America that Tiffany introduced to us. It was like peanut butter, but chocolate, in a jar. You could spread it on whatever you want, eat it straight from the jar, whatever. I thought it was the most awesome thing ever, whereas Hyoyeon still believed that the best invention to come about were Beats headphones. Such a typical thing of her to say.

With my makeshift breakfast in my hands, I ninja’d my way to Hyoyeon’s room. The door was slightly ajar; I poked my head in, and one of the beds was empty. I nudged the door fully open with my foot and realized that Seohyun was gone. I peeked into the other rooms and learned that Taeyeon and Tiffany were gone too. The three missing girls must have been working on that subunit stuff I heard about from Hyoyeon a while ago.

I reentered Hyoyeon’s room and approached her.

“Hey!” I hissed.

She was facing the wall, so her back was to me. I was kinda surprised that she didn’t wake up from hearing my thoughts.

“Hyoyeon!” I tried again, this time, kicking her back lightly.

No response.

“Are you dead?” I jokingly wondered; I paled then, because if she was dead, or even passed out, I would not be able to live with myself.

“Hyoyeon, get up now! Don’t die!” I exclaimed, shaking her violently. “You can’t die on m--”

She growled, pushing me off with her sheer strength.

Well, that was y.

Excuse me?

“What are you doing here?” she groaned.

“Hanging out,” I answered like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Leave, now.”

“Your mouth is telling me to get out, but your mind is saying something else.” I teased with a smug grin.

That jerk. Invading my privacy, listening to my thoughts.

It’s not my fault. It’s like your thoughts are a radio station I can’t turn off.

GO AWAY.

Strawberries, remember?

Banned, remember? Seriously, do you not understand the word ‘banned’?

Nah, it’s not in my vocabulary.

I’ll let you stay if you just leave my room for like five minutes.

“Why?” I complained.

“I don’t look decent yet,” she mumbled softly, probably not for my ears to hear.

I laughed out loud. “Hyoyeon, I don’t care how you look in the morning.”

I care how I look!”

“So you are a girl then?”

I’m glaring at you and giving you the finger, just so you’re aware.

“Gee, thanks,” I chirped as optimistically as possible. “Now get over your girly problems, and let’s eat strawberries! I only have twenty minutes left here.”

“I don’t want you to look at me!”

I stifled another laugh. “God, I never knew you were so feminine and self-conscious about your looks.”

“Every girl secretly is!” she shot back defiantly.

“Well, I won’t make fun, I promise!” I tugged on her arm, which was hanging over the edge of her bed. “Come on, Hyoyeon!”

“No!”

I don’t want to be judged by him, of all people.

“What do you mean by that?” I frowned, loosening my grip on her arm.

“Leave for like two seconds so I can at least brush my hair and stuff!”

“Are you trying to imply that I’m a jerk?”

No.

“Yes.”

“So you’re not,” I concluded.

“Go away,” she repeated, burying her face and hair deeper into the pillows and under the blankets.

I was left with no other option at this point. I stripped the sheets off in one swift movement, completely exposing her. I resisted the urge to laugh, because that sounded really erted.

I expected to see pajama pants, maybe shorts--whatever girls wore to bed. I did not expect to see skinny jeans.

“Why are you wearing that?” I pointed.

Crap.

“Nothing.”

“That didn’t even make sense!” I stared suspiciously at her. “And why are you wearing some fancy, pretty shirt?”

“It’s not fancy or pretty!”

“And why is your hair curled nicely?”

“Because of a schedule late last night!”

“You liar,” I dashed to the desk to check her phone and she tackled me from behind, taking me down.

“Don’t!” she glared; I got up.

“What are you hiding? You’re supposed to tell me everything!” I held the phone high above her reach and inspected her face.

Flawless. She was still wearing makeup, probably from last night, but it wasn’t too much. She wore a top that in my opinion, could be a bit longer, because when she raised her arms to try and get her phone, it exposed her stomach. Her jeans looked too fashionable for any kind of schedule, unless it was a photoshoot, which I highly doubted. Actually, her entire outfit looked too unordinary for just a regular schedule.

“Tell me the truth,” I ordered.

“Give me my phone back!” she jumped.

“Truth first!”

“Phone first!”

I lowered the phone and held it behind my back. “You didn’t have a late schedule, did you?”

She ran a hand through her hair, making it somehow look even more beautiful--curse her--and said, “No.”

“Thought so,” I walked circles around her. “What were you doing last night?”

“I met up with a friend,” she replied calmly.

It wasn’t a lie, but it wasn’t the whole truth. I looked her straight in the eyes.

Tell me.

Make me.

Do you really want me to?

I’m not scared of you.

Was it Doojoon?

Why would it be--

Is it someone I know? Is he a celebrity? Are you secretly dating him and not telling me?

No, no, and Hyukjae, no! God!

“I see,” I spoke aloud, rubbing my chin. “Okay, I got it.”

“Got what?” she raised an eyebrow at me.

“You were at a club last night with some guy and you were drunk, which explains why I couldn’t hear any of your thoughts when I was coming back to Korea.”

“Nice work, Holmes,” she commented sarcastically.

“Who was the guy? What did he do to you?” I hounded her, backing her up against a wall. “Hyoyeon, please tell me you still have your--”

“Dude!” she punched my arm. “Yes, I still have that. The guy was a childhood friend of mine, and he didn’t do anything to me!”

“Yeah, right, he probably kissed you or something.” I glowered at the wall then turned my attention back to her. “Did he?”

“No!”

...But he tried to.

“Hetried to?” I burst, my voice bumping up an octave.

How embarrassing it was to hear my voice like that. Never again.

“I don’t know why you need to get involved with my stuff,” she plopped down on the floor, popping open the carton of strawberries.

I sat across from her and rolled my eyes. “Why? ‘Cause your stuff is my stuff!”

Idiot.

“Idiot,” she chewed on a strawberry angrily.

“It’s called caring, Hyoyeon,” I poked her knee, “And as your best friend, I care about who tries to freaking kiss you.”

Why does he even care?

I’m still here. I smirked at her, reaching for a strawberry.

Why do you care?

Why wouldn’t I?

Why do you?

I’m your best friend...

That’s the reason?

Well--

“YAH, LEE HYUKJAE!”

I whipped around to meet the most terrifying sight ever--a cranky Jessica.

In the morning.

Instinctively, I hid behind Hyoyeon.

“Your manager is hollering for you,” she snarled, “And you woke me up with all your stupid shouting.”

“Sorry,” I smiled apologetically, giving her a slight laugh.

“What’s so funny?” she snapped, grabbing me by the shirt and shoving me to the door once I was on my feet.

to be you. Hyoyeon was grinning.

This conversation isn’t over!

Uh-huh.

“Stop making googly-eyes at Hyoyeon and move!” Jessica barked, pushing me harder.

I stumbled out of the room and heard one last sentence uttered by Jessica.

“Did you tell him?”

“Shh!”

Tell me what?

That I got a puppy?

Right, hilarious.

“Hyukjae, we’re late!” the manager grabbed me by the shirt--geez, was it Pick On Hyukjae Day or something?--and forcibly dragged me out. “I said thirty minutes!”

“I guess I lost track of time.” I said lamely.

“It’s been forty-five minutes!”

“Didn’t you lose track of time too, then?” I looked pointedly at the man beside me.

“...Let’s just get you to the salon.”

“You found that coordi-noona, didn’t you?” I guffawed.

“Get in the car,” he muttered.

What coordi-noona?

Yours. Hyung is crushing big-time.

Aw, that’s sweet!

What a feminine response. I swear, whatever you did at the club made you more girly overnight.

Is that a bad thing? To be girly?

I don’t know. I guess it is.

What’s wrong with a girl acting like a girl?

Well, you’re Hyoyeon! You’re not just like any girl!

Is that a compliment?

Yes, it is.

Then...thanks.

Are you blushing?

Shut up, you jerk!

Hey, what do you know; Hyoyeon is back!

Shut it.

So you’re gonna tell me everything now, right?

Nope, ‘cause you owe me hints.

Hints?

Did you seriously forget?

Oh! Oh...that. Yeah.

It doesn’t matter, anyway. I’ve narrowed it down to four girls based on deductive reasoning.

Are you trying to sound smart?

No, I’m just smart. So I think it’s Tiffany, Yuri, Sooyoung, or Gyuri.

Hmm...

It’s one of them, isn’t it?!

Yes. (No.)

No?

Yes.

Liar--who else could it be?

A...girl.

“Hyukjae, you’re pretty quiet back there.”

I snapped out of my mental conversation with Hyoyeon. “Sorry, I was thinking...deeply.”

Hyung eyed me weirdly. “You think deeply?”

“I was!” I pouted.

“Right, okay,” he said, and went back to focusing on driving.

Who is it then? Or are you just lying that you’re lying?

Whaaat?

Man, I could’ve sworn you liked Tiffany though.

What makes you think that?

I don’t know, you’re always smiling like a sick puppy in love at her, and you hug her a lot, and and mess with her...

I do that to you, too!

But...that’s different!

How is it different?

It just is! Are you saying you...like me or something?

NO! No! I don’t like you!

Okay, I get the message.

I didn’t mean it that way!

So the only way guys can like me is if we’re in a dark room or something?

Are you kidding me? There’s like a hundred reasons why a guy would like you. You’re smart, you’re fun, you’re nice, excluding your abusive ways towards me, you’re funny, you’re beau--pretty, and...yeah.

An awkward silence passed and I was afraid I did something incredibly dumb again.

So...are you at the salon yet?

Manager-hyung pulled into the parking lot two seconds ago, why?

Just wondering. Can I ask you a question?

Sure, anything.

Why do you care so much about what I do with other guys?

Why wouldn’t I?

Why, though? I mean, Jessica doesn’t even care that much.

I’m just...protective.

Protective? Like a big brother or something?

Er, yeah. Yeah. Like a brother.

She couldn’t find out--not now. It was too soon. I was a wimp. I wasn’t ready.

So you see me as a sister?

Uh, yes.

Lie, I told myself. She saw right through it, or read right through it, I supposed.

If not a sister, then what?

A best friend!

That’s not a good enough answer for me!

What do you want to hear from me? That I like you?

I walked right into the glass door of the salon, too consumed with my thoughts, her thoughts--it was also a bit of my own idiocy that caused me to hurt myself.

“Hyukjae, are you alright?” the manager demanded, eyes widened.

I held my index finger and my thumb to my nose, the area that took the biggest hit.

“No.”

He stared at me worriedly.

“I just did something really stupid.”


This story did not die, everyone!

I simply did not know how to go on, and so I rewrote this entire chapter. I like it better this way than the original--not that any of you will ever see the original, hehe.

I promise it will not take me as long to update next time. Unfortunately, this story will end at around 15 chapters, so brace yourselves!

Thanks, if you're still around commenting and such, and thanks for subscribing and reading and waiting for this lazy- of an author to whip up a 2,600-word chapter!

Keep loving HyoHyuk~