Chapter 46: Little Blue

KO One Re-Live

[Flashback] 

 

"Pigeon Lady, why does this pigeon have bluish feathers?" Da Dong asked as he crouched down to have a look at a pale grey pigeon that had feathers with murky blue ends.
Xiao Yu looked up from feeding the pigeons, "Now that you mentioned it, that pigeon really stands out from the other pigeons, not just in colour but aura too," he noticed as he scrutinised the birds.

Pigeon Lady chuckled as she smiled at a pigeon that was perched on her finger, "That's because that pigeon is from another dimension," she replied.
"Another dimension?" Ya Se repeated, "How's that possible?"
Pigeon Lady looked at the said pigeon that pecked at the piece of bread that Da Dong had thrown at its feet, "Anything possible in the world of yi neng."
"But I thought only humans with at least 8000 battle points could pass through the dimension door, how can a pigeon have battle points?" Ya Se inquired as he peered down at the bird.
"I don't really know how this little fella got here, but he is originally from the carbon dimension and is here in search for his owner," Pigeon Lady explained, "But it's been nearly 18 years and his owner is nowhere in sight."
"That's pretty sad," Xiao Yu muttered.
"Such a loyal bird is still searching for its owner, that is impressive," Ya Se commented, "Do you think its owner is still alive?"
Pigeon Lady nodded, "Little Blue told me his owner lives somewhere in this area but has had no luck finding him."
"In this area?" Xiao Yu repeated, "This park might be huge but why would someone live in a park? Surely Little Blue would have found them by now since it's been 18 years."
"I would have expected Little Blue to be in a hot pot by now!" Da Dong exclaimed, "It's amazing how no one has hunted him down!"
"PRRRRRRR!!!" Little Blue flapped in Da Dong's face vigorously, knocking him over.
"Oh dear, you've upset him," Pigeon Lady giggled.

"Help me!" Da Dong cried out as Little Blue pecked at his face and flapped his wings angrily.
Xiao Yu smiled, amused before turning to Little Blue, "Pnn prrprrr pun pRRR prrr PPrr," he said.
"Xiao Yu, you can speak pigeon?" Ya Se asked, astonished.
Little Blue's flapping slowed down and he slowly flew away from Da Dong and onto Xiao Yu's shoulder.
"Pigeon Lady has been teaching me," Xiao Yu grinned.


[End of Flashback]

"Why are we looking for a stupid pigeon?" Yu Yan groaned as she trudged behind Xiao Yu and his brothers. "There are pigeons all over Taipei!"
"We're looking for a certain pigeon," Da Dong informed as he looked down at her from the tree he had climbed.
"Then look in a restaurant! Won't they have fried pigeon, poached pigeon, roast pigeon, raw pigeon, pigeon curry and the lot?" Yu Yan asked, annoyed.
"I don't think it's legal to even eat pigeons in Taiwan," Xiao Yu chuckled as he looked back at her from a bush.
She smiled sarcastically at him before rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.


"Xiao Yu, do you think Narcissist and King Kong mei mei have had any luck?" Da Dong asked, climbing down from the tree.
"They would have called us if they found Little Blue," replied Xiao Yu.
"Why are you even looking for a pigeon?" Yu Yan questioned in a bored tone, "I'll use my echolocation to detect any stupid birds if that makes you hurry up."
"Little Blue saw the face of Pigeon Lady's attacker, so he's our first clue. We have to find him before anyone else," Da Dong explained.
Yu Yan snorted, "A pigeon is your first clue? How are you going to get any information out of it? Dissect its brain and run it through an image scanner?" she laughed.
"Xiao Yu speaks fluent Pigeon," said Da Dong as he and Xiao Yu walked on.
"Fluent Pigeon?" Yu Yan laughed, jogging over to catch up to them, "Are you fluent in Fish language yet?"
Xiao Yu smiled at her, "Have you found any pigeons yet?"

Yu Yan bit her lip, Her attacker was probably one of my sisters, but why did Da Dong say it was a man? If it really was a man, then the only man I know is my father - if that stupid pigeon really tells Little Fish who it was, then wouldn't my family be done for...?
"What's wrong?" Da Dong asked, turning to look at her.
"Uh, nothing. Just a bit hungry - you did drag me out of my lunchtime after all," she grumbled, Who do I help? I'm still on father's side, I can't help Da Dong as much as I'd like to. If they really find my father and manage to arrest him, he'll be severely punished and that can't happen. My father's not a criminal but he'll be treated like one.
"You went quiet all of a sudden, are you sure you're okay?" Xiao Yu asked, "If you're really hungry, we can go back to Zhong Ji Yi Ban and have lunch. We'll come back after school."

"I'm fine," she spat, I'll help them just this once. There's not much progress they can make from a stupid pigeon - I'm thinking too much. She then pointed down to a corner to her right, "In that direction, there's something under the leaves with an unusual aura," she muttered. I can't let them keep searching, what if they find the portal to father's inter-dimensional air ship? I can't let that happen.
Da Dong and Xiao Yu followed her finger to see a pile of fallen branches scattered over a hedge.
"Under there?" Da Dong asked as Yu Yan nodded with a huff.

Xiao Yu quickly rushed over to the hedge and pushed away the branches and twigs, revealing a small bundle of bluish feathers - Little Blue. "Little Blue!" Xiao Yu gasped as he looked down at the bird whose form was lying in the mud with a broken wing.
Da Dong rushed over, "Let's take him to the vet!"
Xiao Yu gently wrapped Little Blue in his blazer and stood up, "But would they know how to treat him? He's from the carbon dimension, remember?"
"Carbon dimension?" Yu Yan stuttered with wide eyes and cold blood, This bird is from my home dimension? Then does he have a connection to my father?
"It's a long story," Da Dong replied, "Let's just get him to the vet. I'll call Narcissist to let him know."

Ye Zi leaned against a tree, staring at the group from a distance. "So what if they know and found that stupid bird - it has no connection to us whatsoever. Its owner threw it out long ago and it followed us to the gold dimension on its own. Tch."

 


~*~*~
 


"Prrrru ppp prrrr porrr? ('Little Blue, are you okay?')" Xiao Yu asked as he watched Little Blue try and move his wing. He and his brothers, as well as Yu Yan were in Da Dong's bedroom after school to check on Little Blue. Da Dong had decided to keep the bird with him at home whilst its wing healed.
Little Blue nodded, "Prruu! Prruu! ('Thank you! Thank You!')

Yu Yan sat on Da Dong's bed and gave Xiao Yu a weird look, "You really are a weirdo, I can't believe you're actually talking to a bird!"
Ya Se laughed.
"But seriously, don't birds eat fish? Little Fish, you should be careful of that bird! Who knows, it might peck your eyes out!" Yu Yan joked dryly, lying down on the bed out of boredom.
Suddenly, Little Blue was chirping loudly and out of control. He flapped his feathers quickly, squawking madly, causing Xiao Yu to jump out of his seat. He backed away a few steps as he watched the bird jump around.

"What’s wrong Little Blue?!" Xiao Yu exclaimed before Little Blue jumped onto his head and then went behind him onto Da Dong's bed.
"pRRuer! pRRuer! rrppp! rrppp!" Little Blue squawked, as Yu Yan tried to bat him away.
"Ugh what the hell, stupid bird?!" Yu Yan barked, sitting up before jumping off the bed.
"What happened, Xiao Yu?" Ya Se asked.
"What's he saying?" Da Dong added.
Xiao Yu stared at Little Blue and then at Yu Yan, before opening his mouth, "'Yu Er, Yu Er, m'lady, m'lady.' That's what he said," Xiao Yu looked over at Yu Yan, curiously.

Yu Er?! Yu Yan felt her body freeze at the mention of her mother's name.
"Yu Yan, he seems to recognise you. Who's Yu Er?" Xiao Yu asked.
"Uh," Yu Yan began, "How am I supposed to know? I don't know this bird, if I did, I would've roasted it long ago!" she said quickly.
"PrrrrrrRRRRRuuuu! ('Looks so much like her!')" Little Blue cooed, pecking at her face.
Irritated, Yu Yan slapped the bird away, "Look you damn bird, leave me the hell alone!" she hissed.

"Maybe Yu Yan's alternate in the carbon dimension is Little Blue's 'M'lady'?" Da Dong suggested, shrugging.
"That would make sense,"Ya Se agreed.
Xiao Yu turned to Little Blue, "PrPP prrrruerru prrrrRRRR rrrrpP pRrrr. ('She must be her alternate, please calm down')" Xiao Yu explained before turning back to his friends, "I just explained it to him," he informed as he put Little Blue back in his makeshift nest.

As Xiao Yu asked Little Blue to describe the attacker's face and draw a picture, Yu Yan held back and sat near the window in deep thought. Could Little Blue belong to my father and mother? I know that when they were early in their relationship, they raised a pet together but I don't know what happened after that - could that pet have been Little Blue? Since he called Yu Er 'M'lady', it must have been some sort of servant-master relationship and that bird seems to remain loyal even after all these years. Though I should be careful; I can't let myself be exposed by a stupid bird. And if I am exposed, then Little Fish will be the first to know and I can't let that happen, I don't want to hurt him.

"Jiang Zhi Shu?!" Da Dong exclaimed as Little Blue dropped a pencil from his beaks.
Ya Se inspected the drawing, "No you idiot! Jiang Zhi Shu is a fictional character!" he burst out with a sweat drop.
Xiao Yu picked up the drawing of a man with dark locks, a face that deeply resembled the fictional character, Jiang Zhi Shu of 'It Started With a Kiss'. "They do look similar though, they must be doppelgangers," he guessed.
"Like how Egomaniac looks like that stupid Ah Jin?" Ya Se commented, glancing over to said brother.
"Hey!" Da Dong exclaimed, "Jin Yuan Feng is not stupid!"
Ya Se nodded in agreement, "You're right, Wang Da Dong is the stupid one!" he laughed, jokingly.

"PrrPpp pRRRRRuu pruUuurr rrppp! ('Jiang Ye Zi - m'lady's brother!')" Little Blue tweeted, jumping up and down on his drawing.
Xiao Yu's eyes widened, "He's your ‘m'lady's brother?!" he exclaimed, "Jiang Ye Zi? So her name then is Jiang Yu Er?"
Yu Yan felt her blood drain away from her face and her body became ice cold; she found herself gulping before all the eyes of her friends turned to her.
"Jiang Yu Yan? Jiang Yu Er? Jiang Ye Zi?" Da Dong said aloud, "That must be a coincidence right?" he said nervously.
Yu Yan shot out of her seat with beads of sweat forming on her forehead, "Why are you linking me into this?! Just because of our family names?" she laughed to cover up her nervousness, "Jiang is a common name like Wang isn't it?"
Xiao Yu nodded quickly, "Wang Da Dong, Wang Ya Se - you two share the same name but not the same family. Also, Yu Yan's from the gold dimension, how could it be?"
"Use your heads like this fish before you turn to me!" Yu Yan spat, sitting back down in her seat.

"Of course, we would never suspect a friend," Ya Se agreed, "If we did then the trust we have in each other is a thin sheet of ice."
Da Dong grinned and swung an arm around her, "Don't you worry! We have your back! Sorry if I scared you a little."
"Sharing a name doesn't mean anything," Xiao Yu commented, "You can trust and believe in us. We will be true to you - we won't ever turn our backs on you."
Yu Yan huffed in attempt to ignore the guilt creeping up on her before she crossed her arms, "Whatever."

 


~*~*~
 



That night, Wang Da Dong opened his window and left Little Blue's nest on his window sill. "I don't know if you can understand me little buddy," he began, "But I left the window open for you so you can get some fresh air. Don't leave okay? I'll take you to the park tomorrow." He gently patted Little Blue's head with his finger before he turned to a small blue box on his desk. He opened the lid revealing his fortune coiled up on top of a small red pillow. "Good night little fortune!" he smiled before climbing into his bed.
 


~*~*~



"Yu Yan? Where are you going?" Xiao Yu asked as he washed their dirty dinner dishes. He looked over at Yu Yan who slid on a jacket and a pair of shoes.
"I left something at school," she said, "I'm going to go get it."
"Now?" he tilted his head at her, "But it's so late. Can't you wait for tomorrow?"
"Tomorrow will be too late," she answered, as she walked over to the kitchen and picked up an egg tart.
"What do you need to get so urgently? I'll go get it for you," offered Xiao Yu as he wiped his hands dry.
"No need," she hissed through gritted teeth, "Er... that bagel you got for me this morning - I left it behind at school," she stammered slightly as she stuffed the tart into .
"Just for a bagel? Don't worry about it, we'll buy fresh ones tomorrow morning," he reassured her with a smile.
"No! I need to get it!" she barked at him, "Just let me go okay? Stop being so bothersome!"
Xiao Yu nodded slowly, "Sure... be careful."

 


~*~*~



Yu Yan pulled the hood of Xiao Yu's jacket over her head and zipped it up right to the top. She pulled on a cotton mask over and nose. Then she quickly headed over to Da Dong's house and waited quietly on his roof. She remained still, trying to control her aura and keep it calm so that it was undetectable: she was afraid of Da Dong's parents sensing her presence. After an hour or so, when she felt that all the people in his household had fallen asleep using her echolocation - their bodies remained still which suggested that they had gone to bed - she jumped down from the roof. She kept close to the outside wall of Da Dong's room as she listened to his soft snores as well at Little Blue's movements. Smirking when she sensed that the window was open, she quickly grabbed the blue pigeon. As soon as she grabbed it, she shoved it under her jacket and sped off using her super speed before Little Blue could make any noises.

She stood by the canal and held Little Blue by his head. "I'm sorry," she muttered, "But you're too risky to keep around. I'm sure father will understand."
Little Blue wriggled and flapped under her tight grasp but could not get free. He squawked and screamed but Yu Yan's hold on his head was too strong. Yu Yan's face darkened and became emotionless - her hand glowed with white yi neng before she crushed Little Blue's head in her fist. Little Blue released a broken cry for help once more before his head exploded and splattered the floor with blood. Aggressively, she threw his lifeless body into the canal. A satisfied smile bloomed on her face when she heard the splash of the water - but it was a dark and eerie smile that was cold and merciless.

After throwing away the face mask somewhere on the journey home, Yu Yan ped the jacket and pulled down the hood before plastering a fake smile on ber face when she entered Xiao Yu's flat through his balcony. "I'm home!" she sang in a cheery voice despite the horrendous act she had just done.