007

For The First Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Oppa, do you have time tonight?”

 

“Tonight…yeah. What’s up?”

 

“Shall we go for some drinks? It’s been a while.”

 

Jaejoong oppa probably detected something from my voice, because he didn’t question my motive.

 

“Okay. I’ll pick you up from the salon then.”

 

“Byul,” one of my colleagues called right as I ended the call with Jaejoong oppa, “there’s a phone call for you.”

 

I frowned; who would look for me by calling the salon’s main line? My clients all contacted me via my mobile. I went to the counter and picked up the call.

 

“Hello, this is Han Byul speaking.”

 

“Byul-ah, it’s me. Last night, I—”

 

I hung up on Taekwoon before he could continue. He had been calling my mobile and flooding me with texts but I ignored them all. I didn’t think he would call the salon.

 

“If there are any calls looking for me, tell them I’m out and to call my mobile,” I informed the receptionist with a small smile, “thanks.”

 

The rest of the day was spent serving non-celebrity clients I haven’t seen for a long time and catching up with them. Oppa texted to tell me he was on his way, so I packed up and waited for him. He came into the salon for a while, to say hello to everyone else (and sending them into a frenzy). After a round of photo taking with my colleagues, we bade them goodbye and left.

 

I switched my phone off as soon as I got into oppa’s car.

 

“I suppose there’s something you want to talk about?”

 

I nodded, choosing not to speak.

 

“Taekwoon?” he guessed, and sighed when I didn’t respond, “you’re not allowed to drink too much tonight. You’re not in a good condition. And we have schedules tomorrow.”

 

I nodded again; it was pointless to even try to argue with Jaejoong oppa when his protective side comes out.

 

“Spill.”

 

It took me a moment to gather my thoughts, and then I told Jaejoong oppa everything that happened, from me forgetting about our anniversary, to him showing up drunk at my doorstep the previous night.

 

“Does he remember what he did last night? Did he call you?”

 

“Why do you think I switched my phone off?”

 

“You didn’t give him a chance to explain himself, did you?”

 

I shook my head.

 

“You have to, Byul-ah. Hear him out, talk things out with him.”

 

“But oppa, how can he doubt my feelings for him? How can he not see how much effort I’m putting into our relationship?”

 

“I can’t say I don’t agree with Taekwoon, you know, from a man’s point of view. I know you love him, but I think it’s very obvious that he loves you more. And I think that’s where his insecurity stemmed from. You’re not an easy nut to crack, I’m sure you know that yourself. Maybe he thinks that you still have a bit of defense against him, when he’s given you all of him.”

 

I emptied my glass, letting oppa’s words sink into my head.

 

“I’ve been in this industry for more than a decade, and I’ve met all kinds of people. Do you think I would have let you continue seeing Taekwoon if he wasn’t a good person? I’m pretty sure he’s beating himself up over his actions. Listen to oppa, don’t let this lay around. You have to talk it out, or it will come biting back at you in future.”

 

“Did you have a similar experience, oppa?”

 

A small smile appeared at the corner of his lips, “you saw right through me, huh? I did…way back in the day. I was too young and stupid, and I let her slip away just like that. I regret it to this very day.”

 

I was surprised by his sudden revelation.

 

“Don’t let it drag, Byul-ah, or you’ll regret it.”

 

--

 

Jaejoong oppa’s words replayed in my head over and over again the entire journey home. I didn’t even realize we had reached my apartment complex until oppa tapped me. I bade him goodnight and told him I would see him the next day.

 

When I rounded the corner to my unit, however, I halted my steps. Sitting outside my door, with his head buried in his arms, was Taekwoon. He looked up at the sound of footsteps.

 

“Byul-ah—”

 

I didn’t meet his eyes, “let’s talk inside. Don’t disturb my neighbours.”

 

He pulled me into a back hug as soon as the door closed.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry for saying all those stupid things. Will you

Please log in to read the full chapter