008

Be My Playlist

Yuna, we've touched down a few hours ago and we're in the hospital now. Your brother is here with us too. Yunseong fell from a very steep staircase in his wheelchair. The doctor is doing their best but he went into shock a few minutes ago. He might need some time to regain consciousness. He will be okay. Let's pray for him okay, dear?

Yuna's face drops and she could feel her heart sank. She was so close to having tears but she took a deep breath and close her eyes to pray to God that he will be okay and that he will wake up soon. 

"Here's your fried rice." The male server came to serve her the fried rice that she had ordered.

"I'm sorry but can you wrap this up?" She asks if she could take away her food as she didn't have any appetite anymore.

"Sure." He nods and brought the food back to the kitchen to wrap it up.

Yuna didn't have anything on her mind. She kept playing rock and loud music on her headphones as she wanders around the old shopping complex mall. She made a whole round of circle looking through the shop's display and took the escalator up to the second floor and that's when she saw a row of beautiful aligned guitar from acoustic to electric. The automatic sliding door opens as Yuna steps near the sensor, she walks in and was greeted by an oldie 50's music which was playing on the LP player. She was also greeted by a peculiar smell of wood, probably because there were many acoustic and wood instruments in the shop. She walked to the guitar section and slowly gazed at it one by one. Yuna has always been fond of guitars and she always wanted to learn them, but she couldn't because her parents didn't allow her to just because they think that it is just a waste of time.

The white electric guitar caught her attention, similarly like the keychain she bought earlier in the afternoon. There were also ones with a baby blue and pastel pink colored Stratocaster model, displaying side by side but her attention was on the white one. Her fingers carefully trace along with the outer shell of the guitar, feeling the shell of it makes her heart flutter like she had fallen in love, the first love.

This is such a beauty.

Yuna couldn't stop admiring the electric guitar of her dreams.

An old man, which she assumed, probably the store owner, approached her, "Hello young lady, can I help you?"

"Ah, no I'm just looking around." She replied.

The old man then left her to admire the guitar when another customer came in.

After Yuna had enough admiring the guitar and took secret snapshots of it, she continued browsing through the other guitar models and brands.

"Oh, Yoongi! How long has it been?" The owner of the store said as a new customer came into the store.

"Ah-ha, Hello Boss, I need to change the strings." A young man replied.

Yuna had her earphones on, still admiring the acoustic guitar one by one, and was reading the labels attached to them. It's fascinating how there were different types of guitar and how different the two different types of guitar would sound if it were an acoustic or an electric. Yuna who was looking and reading the labels could also overhear a snippet of conversation that was going on between the customer and the owner.

"How have you been? It's been so long ever since the workshop ended." The owner asks.

"Great. Things are going well." The young man replied.

"Have you gotten a stable job yet?" He asks.

"Yes, I did. I work at the electronics repair shop in Daemun Mall, just a few streets down from here." 

"Ah really? That's great. Oh, I've been thinking lately if you still want to do workshops as a part-time gig. I've been getting some customers lately and they ask me if I knew any good guitar classes." 

"I'll have to think about that." The young man scratches his head by the sudden offer.

"Ey, you don't have to think about it. Come on, every Saturday night and I'll pay you a good amount. Starting next week, hmm?" The owner tries to persuade him persuasively hoping that he would accept the offer.

The young man was seen hesitating and was thinking hard whether or not he should accept the offer after-all, it was a sudden offer.

"I know you've been up to nothing these days, look at you, and the way you dressed, you look like you've been in a cave for the past weekends. Tell you what, if that girl over there agrees to attend the workshop then, Let's count as you're doing it okay?" He looked at him.

He paused and then nods his head in agreement.

The store owner then went up to the girl wearing the denim jacket and tapped on her shoulder.

"Hello young lady, you've been looking at these guitars for the past half an hour, are you interested in guitar?" He asks politely.

Yuna nods, "Ah yes I am actually."

"That's great, we happened to have a guitar workshop starting next Saturday. Do you want to come and join the workshop or are you already proficient in playing?"

Yuna didn't know what to answer. The workshop sounds interesting but if her parents knew about this guitar workshop, her parents would flip and put her on the grounded list.

"Ah, well I don't know how to play the guitar but I'm interested in learning how to play it." She replied.

"Then, why don't you join the workshop instead? We will help you learn the basics in a month."

"I'm a high school student so I don't think I can afford the workshop." She replied hoping that it would end the conversation right there, so it wouldn't be tempting for her to think about it.

"Oh really? Since we don't have any members yet, I could give you a discount for students and another 15% discount for being the first member." He tried to persuade her with the tempting discounts.

"Ah really. I don't have a guitar at the moment and I don't think I could  afford one."

"Well, that's okay. We will provide you guitars during the workshop so all you need to do is bring yourself on the day of the workshop." He said.

"So, are you interested in joining the workshop?" He asks.

"Well... Okay, sure." Yuna nods, giving in to him because he was too good in persuasion and maybe why not try a new thing, it would keep her mind off from the things that have been going on lately.

"Great! Come, write down your name and phone number and I will send you a text message regarding it." The store owner directs her to the counter for her to write her details down on the paper.

"Oh, and the person here will conduct the workshop. He will teach you how to play the guitar." The store owner pointed to the young man at the side, who was trying to fix the string of his guitar.

After Yuna had written down her details, she looked up to see the mention man, "Hello."

The young man stopped fixing and replied, "Hello. I'm Yoongi."

Like both of them, exchanges look, their eyes widened as they had already known each other. The guy from the bus. The petite schoolgirl.

"I'm Min Yoongi...." He trails off as he stared at her for a bit too long.

Yuna bowed at him and then left quickly after, leaving Yoongi in dazed after their introduction.

The guy from the bus? Eh? This is such a small world.

It was unexpected for them to meet in a place like that and a situation that was far off than one could imagine. Yuna took a look at the time on her phone and it was already 9 pm.

Should I go home now?

Yuna sighs as she walked back to the same path as she did when she came here. She had a plastic bag on her hand, the takeout fried rice which she had ordered an hour ago. She held it in her arms as she walks down the alley. The weather was getting chilly and Yuna's outfit for the day wasn't doing any justice. She thought she would have just gone home after her class but she ended up hanging out alone in the night.

Damn, it's getting too cold. I think I wore the wrong outfit.

Yuna shivers in cold but still managed to get through it. The wait for the bus was getting too long and Yuna's patience was wearing thin. The bus stop was getting crowded with people. There seems to be a delay on the bus schedule and there is a traffic jam seen on the road. Yuna gave up waiting and started walking back home. She started taking a turn to a back alley which then connects to a small road. Yuna knew the way back home and was indeed familiar with the shortcuts even though it was like a maze but she knew it very well, all thanks to Jungkook. The pathway was dark and it was pretty chilly that Yuna started to sneeze and her nose was already runny. The music blasting from her earphones didn't help at all, all it was doing is playing a very sad rock playlist. As the music influences her thoughts as she was walking home, her mind was running from places to places too. She couldn't help but be worried about his brother and why didn't they update her about his situation every minute of the day. Did she need to fly to the States? Would that make her better? Being with her brother? Without any thought, Yuna took out her phone and started messaging her father.

Dad, please, can I come to the States?

Is Yunseong okay?

What is his condition now?

Dad, can I go to the States and be with Yunseong, please? I'm worried.

Yuna texted a few more messages before getting a reply from her dad.

No, Yuna. He'll be fine. Don't worry and focus on your studies. I expect the first place in your tests next week.

Yuna felt frustrated. Her dad flew Yunseong to the States when she was in middle school and could only see him when he returns for a semester break. But lately, he couldn't as he wasn't in good condition. That's when Yuna begs her mother to let her go to the States but her mother shushes her down saying if she kept begging to go to the States, her mother would cut off contact with her brother. Yunseong was the only family member she loves and was close to. Yuna would often exchange messages with each other when they had the time and that made her happy genuinely. She didn't understand the need for Yunseong to be sent away to the States for education. Yes, if it was Yunsol wishes then he could've just went alone and not dragged Yunseong along after what happened. But since they thought that both of them were twins, Yunsol and Yunseong both had to be the same, a package. Yunsol and Yuna weren't close at all. Yunsol was cold and couldn't care for Yuna at all. He was obsessed with his studies and getting in the first place. Whereas Yunseong was the opposite, he was great with people and was talented in writing music. Which is why Yuna had a great interest in music too.

Yuna looked around and saw some familiar buildings, she was already near to her apartment. If she walked a few kilometers more and climbed uphill, she will be home in no time. She looked up in the night sky and was showing signs that it was going to rain anytime soon.

Please don't rain. Please don't rain until I get home.

Yuna prayed hard but droplets of rain could be felt on her skin.

Well, . She cursed.

Then it started raining heavily, there was lightning too. There wasn't any building with a sheltered roof which could save herself from the rain. Then, she remembered that there was an old 24/7 convenience store right at the corner. Yuna ran as fast as she could as she was already in drenched from the rain and that her denim was getting heavy from the damped. The neon lighted sign could be seen from afar as she ran closer to it, she quickly took cover under the sheltered parasol roof of the convenient store.

Yuna took a seat on the plastic chairs placed outside. She placed her bag on the table and took her denim outerwear off to try and wring out her damped denim but she was too weak to do so. By now, Yuna was shivering, sneezing, and was too weak to do anything. It was cold and she still had to walk a few roads to down and climbed up a bloody hill to reach her apartment. She gave up and took a seat on the chairs that were left outside for customers to dine in. Yuna curled into a ball to keep her warm and maybe rest a little until the rain stops. She pulled out her phone from the pocket and it was already 11 pm. It was pretty late and she knew no one was looking for her so she thought of just sitting down for a while and probably gain back her energy and waits for the rain to stop before she walks home. Yuna listens to the rainfall and the thunder that came soon after. She had always found the rain sounds soothing but not the thunder. She hated it. It was probably because her grandmother told her that it reminded her of the war. Yuna stayed in the same position for nearly half an hour just by watching the rainfall. The streets were dark and there was no one around except for the cashier in the convenient store, of course. Her eyes were getting heavy and her body was getting weak. And the rain wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

I guess I have to start moving now else I'm gonna end up staying here till the morning.

Yuna got up and wore back her damped denim jacket and hugged her backpack tightly. Instead of running in the rain, she took a step carefully not to slip and fall. She held her head down as she walks. After walking for a few steps she noticed that it stopped raining on her, she looked up and saw an umbrella held over her head.

"We meet again." said a familiar voice.

"T-thank you." Yuna stuttered because she was shivering in cold. 

"Here, take it." Yoongi placed the umbrella handle on her hands and clasped her fingers around it.

"B-but how are you going to get home?" Yuna asks, feeling bad about having his umbrella.

"Don't worry about it. I live up there." He pointed to the apartment above the convenience store which was just a few walks away.

"Ah, and-" He s his jacket and put it over her shoulders.

"Thank you... Yoongi?" She said softly, still shivering but she could feel the warmth on his jacket.

"No worries. See you around, Yuna." He smiled and waved at her before running to his apartment.

Yuna snuggles in his oversized jacket. It was warm and there was a scent of him on his jacket. Though it was a men's jacket, the scent smell of familiar cotton musk. With the umbrella on her hands, she quickens her pace to get back home.

Yuna stood in front of the long flight of stairs. It wasn't a huge obstacle for her yesterday but now it seems to be. It looked longer and steeper than usual. She gathered all her remaining strength and climbed up the stairs, a step at a time. By the time she reaches the top, she was out of breath and exhausted. Yuna walked into the building and got up the elevator. For once, she felt glad that she was finally home. Her weak fingers punch the pin pad and it automatically unlocks. Yuna threw her shoe off and gently put aside the umbrella she had gotten from Yoongi and drags herself to her bedroom. Her drenched clothes were dripping all over the floor as she walks over but she couldn't care. All she wanted was to rest after the whole mess of today. Yuna weakly pushes her door and smiled at the sight of her bed before collapsing on the floor from exhaustion.