004

Be My Playlist

An alarm beep faintly in the distance and the sound of heavy rainfall could be heard outside the window. Yuna weakly pulled her heavy body up to get ready for school before her mother could nag at her to get up. She surely does not want to get out of bed anytime soon. Her body was weak and she just wanted to stay underneath the warm blanket of hers and rest all day, taking a break from school at least once. As much as she wanted to do that, her body automatically moves to get prepared for school.

Yuna drags her bag along the corridor and to the dining table to grab some breakfast.

"Dad, could you please send me to school by car? It's raining heavily." She asks softly while grabbing a piece of toast.

"I have an important meeting this morning. Maybe next time." He replied.

Yuna could only nod and then greet her parents' goodbye before going off to school.

As soon as she stood outside of her well-heated home, she was greeted by a harsh cold wind that blew against her. Although she was wearing her padded coat, she could feel a gush of cold wind fighting against her coat. This time, Yuna had prepared an umbrella and also an extra inner shirt and bottom in case the weather drops deeper during the day. Yuna struggled through her way to school, fighting the wind and also trying to protect her from getting wet although she brought along her umbrella, a partial part of her coat got wet however, thankfully, she arrived in school safely and on time.

It was just like any other day in school for Yuna. Class duties, studying, playing games during physical Ed class, and then studying again before preparing for the self-study night class. She sighs as she sat down on the stairs at the very end of the long stretch of corridors. Her stomach growled loud enough for her to remember that she had to skip her lunch just so that she could meet her homeroom teacher for a discussion. She pulled out her onigiri that she bought from the school mart and gobbled down the rice ball in less than a second.

"Hey. You should eat slowly or else you're gonna choke on that fat onigiri." A pair of hands patted her back gently before sitting right next to her.

"Ah, Jungkook. Sorry, I'm pretty hungry. What's up?" She asks, wiping with the back of her hands.

"I just want to take some fresh air before going back to study. Anyways, did you have your lunch? I didn't see you in the cafeteria."

"Ah, Ms. Kim wanted to see me during lunch for the school festival in the next two months."

"Isn't it way too early to prepare for it? Besides, you have exams to study for? They are throwing work at you, huh?" His voice slightly raises in anger.

"What can I do? No one wants to do the dirty work." She sighs.

"Why are you even in the top A class anyways, you always have to do the rich, smart kids dirty work."

Yuna shrugged and leaned back against the wall.

"If things get hard, don't push yourself. Alright? I'm always here for you if you need some help." Jungkook smiled and ruffled her hair before disappearing into the endless long corridor.

Jungkook and Yuna had been childhood friends, neighbors, and practically her best friend who doesn't have to be by her side most of the time but always knows her better than she does. That personality of his that always made Yuna hearts flutter. Knowing her feelings better than she does. Turning up in front of her when she felt exhausted mentally and physically. He's always there for her. However, Yuna felt that wasn't fair enough for her. As much as he's always there for Yuna, she doesn't seem to be there for Jungkook and that's a thing Yuna felt sorry and guilty for. Yuna wants to be there for both happy and sad times, leaning on each other when times get hard, like what best friends do. But it always happens that Jungkook always got her back before she falls.

The silent classroom, a faint ticking clock hanging up against the dusty old white wall. A small yawn could be heard from the far end of the classroom, the sound of turning pages and pencils being brushed against a sheet of paper. It was nearly 8 pm but the classroom was still filled with students studying for the midterm exams. Yuna, on the other hand, was getting ready packing up her stuff as she has another cram class to attend. Just when the clock strikes 8 exactly, Yuna silently but quickly ran out to get to her cram class on time.

As she was about to leave the school building, she stopped in her tracks and watched the heavy rainfalls upon her. Her hands slipped inside her backpack to pull out a foldable umbrella that she used earlier in the morning.

It's been raining the whole day and it's getting colder.

Yuna sighs as she wipes her snot running out from her nose. As the day deepens into the night, it was predicted that the temperature was going to drop. Although Yuna had lived through the four seasons in her entire life, she still couldn't adapt to weather changes. The period when a certain season change to another, the process when the weather temperature increases or decreases. The humidity in the air or the fine dust in the air that some times makes her feel suffocated, she always hated it.  As much as she, herself hates weather changes, her body too couldn't adapt to it. She would always get sick at a time like this. First symptoms, runny nose, and the second feeling feverish and weak. Although it would just be for a day or two, it could get worse depending on her situation.

Two years ago when Yuna was preparing for finals during the summer break, stressing herself over the number of subjects she had to study for, she had fallen too sick that she had to stay in bed for about nearly five days. And had to miss several of her cram classes to recover from her sickness. It was quite a trauma for her as all that she earned during her rest was a bunch of nagging she heard from her mother telling her that she failed to look after her health and that she missed too much cram classes that are worth much more than her health. And that because of her, her mother had wasted her money and couldn't claim a refund. It was absurd, to Yuna. For all she knew, that her family was capable of paying for her cram classes, and if she was to say how well her family is, she would say that her family is rich. Free from debt and have a roof above them, food on the table, and have access to clean drinkable water. So what's the issue? She could always reschedule her missed cram classes as she was told at the beginning when she first started her cram classes. That incident took a mental toll on her, telling herself that she needs to get her game straight and not get sick.

"Don't forget we'll be having a mock test next week regarding chapter 7 to chapter 11. Do study for it and also don't forget to do your daily homework." 

The teacher bid them goodbye before leaving. Some students were still busy writing notes and some were already packing their backpack to leave. Yuna stretches her arms and yawned. It's Friday and she's mentally and physically exhausted from that five days of studying, studying and again, studying.

"Hey, Yuna. Do you have the notes from chapter 4 to 5? I've missed the cram class because I was sick last Tuesday." Her partner next to her asks.

"Oh yeah, sure I do have. You can bring back home and copy those notes if you need to. It's quite comprehensive." Yuna handed him her pink A5 notebook that was already filled with notes from the previous chapters.

"Oh my God. Thank you, Yuna. You're the best!" he smiled and put his arms around her as a gesture of a thankful hug.

Lee Seoho, her desk partner in her cram classes has been a close friend of her for about two years. He studies in the second top prestigious high school in Daegu and had won multiple awards and scholarships. Although he seems smart, his personality was quite peculiar at first. Yuna always thought how weird for him to be smiling every day and until late night, being hyper and never was in a bad mood. He is always all smiles and had a cute eye smile whenever he smiles. As time goes by she found him cute and friendly.

"Yuna, do you want to grab our usual chocolate pastries at Paris Baguette?" He asks while putting his books in his backpack.

Yuna thought for a bit, "Hmm... Sure! I could also do a hot choco."

"Right... Hot choco!" Seoho looked at Yuna and just smiled after noticing a hot blush form on her cheeks and had a slightly almost a snot running from her little nose.

Seoho too had realized her common behavior after being friends with her. He realized that she wasn't that 'bad' after all. At first, when Seoho had enrolled in the cram class and had the same classes as Yuna, Seoho thought that Yuna was the quiet, shy, and hard to get along type of person. However, after sitting right next to her one day when he couldn't find any more seats in the front and had resulted to seat right next to Yuna. Right after, he knew that they could instantly be friends.

Knowing that Seoho had always sat in the front seats, and then suddenly had to get seated at the back, Yuna had continuously taken care of him. She knew that most of the students in the cram classes were always fighting for the front row seats. It gave them better concentration and focus whenever the teachers teaching. But in the unfortunate case of Seoho, Yuna tried her best to accommodate him at his first 'uncomfortable back seat'. Yuna constantly making sure that he is on the right track and sometimes letting him copy her notes when he couldn't catch what the teacher had said.

As both of them entered the warm lighted bakery store, they were greeted by a heavenly smell of pastries and a strong smell of chocolate. Seoho took a tray and began selecting a few of his favorite pastries and some of Yuna's favorite too. While Seoho was busy and drooling over and carefully selecting his pastries, Yuna went over to the counter to order a warm hot chocolate and a grande sized caramel macchiato for Seoho. After making their purchase, they sat down and talk over while drinking and eating some of their pastries.

"Right! I nearly forgot to say this. Yuna, do you want to come to a band concert next Friday? It starts late, so you don't have to worry about cram class." Seoho asks, sipping his caramel macchiato.

"A band concert?" Yuna raises her brow.

"Yeah, one of my older friends is playing and they gave me extra tickets to it."

"Hmm... I'll think about it and text you back about it. You know how I have a curfew to abide." Yuna sighs at the awful thought of the curfew, restraining her to do things freely.

"Sure! Let me know about it. I'll send more details about it. They are really good. And I know how you're crazy about rock band music. If you could try and convince your mom about it, it is super great." Seoho eyed smiled.

Yuna chuckles at the sight of him as the corner of his mouth were stain with the whipped cream from his caramel macchiato. She shook her head and took a tissue to wipe it off. Earning a soft chuckled and a burst of embarrassed laughter from him.

They bid their goodbyes halfway, Seoho had to take the subway home while Yuna had to take her usual bus home. As she listens to her playlist, she couldn't help but smile at the conversation she had with Seoho. It had been a while since they hang out and have a good chat. That impromptu short hangout was one of the best she had.

Like the usual, she waited for her usual big blue bus at the main road of downtown Daegu while the music blasting on her headphone accompanies her.

Lately, she had been listening to local pop songs because she felt that she had been listening to the same songs all over again. It has been a while since she had used her other favorite music streaming app, Melon. She noticed how sleek and easy the UI of the app has changed and that it made it a different experience for her. All these while, while she had been listening to pop songs, she had just been listening to the real-time top charts music since she had no interest in any of idol groups, so any music was fine with her.

Yuna had always been engrossed with how a melody accompanies a certain lyrics a writer wants to convey. How both of it has to intertwine with each other to create a feel. The process of creating the perfect melody for lyrics to flow. And she had always been giving her utmost attention to what the song is about. She didn't care if it was a club song or it's about a women's body. The topic of songs often lingers through the curiosity of her mind, that sometimes she unknowingly create an imaginary mind-map of the song and branches out the topic and theme of the song, studying what goes through the mind of the writer when they wrote the lyrics to the song.

Was it because it's a Friday night that most of the people in Daegu went out to play and get drunk until the next morning? The bus was fairly quiet and only had a few passengers even though it's 11 pm, whereby most of the other days it would be a peak period for public transports. Yuna took the very back seat of the bus, plopping into the seat and getting comfortable after pulling her backpack on her lap. She leaned back against her seat and rested her eyes. Soon enough, she fell asleep, after a tiring week.

Yoongi closes his shop as usual and wants to head home quickly after a whole day dealing with a fussy customer with a broken laptop screen. Since he didn't have any plans made with his other friends, he made a plan with himself, which is to head home quickly and order a set of pizza or chicken, whichever he feels like when he gets home, while watching a football rerun which he had missed. With that being planned on his mind, he quickens his journey to get to the bus stop. While waiting for the bus, Yoongi pulled out his smartphone and began browsing through his playlist to listens to some songs on the way back home. His fingers scrolling and swiping through the application, finding a good playlist to listen to.

Hmm... What kind of genre will be added next on the playlist... It always had been either rock or acoustic... I wonder what kind of music genre they listen to...

As the bus came into view, Yoongi's thoughts were interrupted. Just as he begins to get comfortable with his seat, he received a text message from one of his friends which he hadn't had the time to meet-up lately, asking Yoongi if he had time tomorrow to grab a drink and catch up together with his other friends. After replying to the texts, he placed down his phone to enjoy the music and his journey way back home. As Yoongi was looking around his surroundings, he found the usual small petite schoolgirl has already knocked out on the seat right a few seats away from him at the back of the bus. He smiled a little when he saw how tight she was hugging her school backpack and also a plastic bag filled with pastries. As he was watching her, a flood of memories from high school came back to him, causing him to reminisce about the old good days when life for him was much simpler and happy.

As familiar surroundings came into view, Yoongi was getting ready to get off, as he walked towards the exit door of the bus, he unconsciously faces at the back of the bus where the schoolgirl sat and who is still sleeping soundly.

Should I wake her up? Or should I just let her be? But if I don't wake her up, she'll end up in the bus terminal. But we're not even close, just strangers. Would it be weird to wake her up telling me that it's her stop? Wait, we're not a stranger to each other anymore. We basically knew each other existence and talked once, right? So it should be okay to wake her up?

After contemplating whether to wake the schoolgirl up, Yoongi finally gathers his courage and quickly wakes her up before they missed their stop.

Yoongi nudged her arm gently, and she immediately shot up from her seat, startling Yoongi for a bit. Yuna was quite embarrassed by that but understood the whole situation quickly.

As they got off from the bus, Yoongi had made his way but stop in his tracks when Yuna called him out.

"Excuse me-" Yuna called out.

Yoongi turned around, looking at her cluelessly.

"Thanks for erm- waking me up. I could have missed my stop." She thanked him.

Yuna quickly pulled out a chocolate puff pastry and handed it to him.

"Here, it's a token of thanks. And I'm Yuna. Kim Yuna." She smiled and handed him a bag of the puff pastry.

Yoongi, on the other hand, stood there, trying to process the situation.

Yuna gave another warm smile before bowing to greet him goodbye.

Yoongi could only acknowledge her by greeting her back with a bow before she disappeared into the night. He looked back at the pastry that she gave and sort of trying to recall what she said.

"Yuna? Kim Yuna?" He said it out loud.

So that's her name, huh? Well, her name kind of suits her too. Ah, wait. I didn't tell her my name...

Maybe next time?