Chapter 9: Gerbera Daisy

A Second Chance

Gerbera Daisies symbolize relief from sorrow and happiness.


“A date?”

“A date.”

“I was gone for a week.”

“That you were.”

Seokjin find himself sitting behind the register again. All traces of the cold he had were gone, but he was still taking it easy. Taehyung had returned a few days ago, but Seokjin was only just letting him know about his date now. The younger man had dropped his broom in surprise and rushed up to the register.

“How could you have a date?” Taehyung’s brows are furrowed.

“What? Am I not the most handsome man in the world?” Seokjin gasps and clutches at his chest.

“Hyung-”

“No I get it, Tae. In my old age I’ve withered and shouldn’t be desired.” Seokjin playfully places the back of his hand over his eyes and leans back on his stool. He lets out a little whine as if he were an aged old man.

“You know that’s not what I mean.” the younger deadpanned.

Seokjin uncovers his eyes and begins to look at the flowers behind his brother-in-law. He takes note that the daisies are going to need some extra attention. With a sigh he says, “Yoongi asked me out and I said yes. Simple.”

“When did you and Yoongi even progress to the point of asking each other out though? How often do you see him, because you hardly ever leave here and he never comes over? I thought you said that nothing was going on between you two.” Taehyung lets out a sigh of his own and skirters around the counter. The college student lets his full weight fall onto Seokjin, his chin tucked onto one of Seokjin’s shoulders, his arms wrapping around Seokjin’s chest.

“There wasn’t… Until there was. We were both a part of the wedding party. We met to try cakes and at the wedding, then those two times last spring.” Seokjin lets out a grunt, he begins to strain his back muscles.

“Then Jungkook just so happened to call him when you were sick.”

Seokjin hums and begins to lean under the new weight, his chin falling into his palm.

“I feel like you are moving too fast.”

The older man lets out a light laugh, “I had known Namjoon less than a day before I asked him out.”

“Namjoon is different.” Taehyung adjusts so his face is tucked into Seokjin’s neck.

“That he is. Which is why it’s taken so long for this development.”

Silence falls upon them after that and Seokjin fully lays down on the counter after the weight becomes to much. He feels the familiar pressure in his chest as his thoughts dwell on Namjoon. This feeling is combated with butterflies in his stomach as Seokjin pictures Yoongi’s excited smile when he said yes.

“You are going to be okay right?” Taehyung’s question breaks Seokjin's focus of his internal battle.

“Of course I will. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“I’m gonna.” Taehyung takes a small pause before continuing, “It’s okay to not be okay. I will always be here to support you and so will Kookie.”

“I appreciate it.”

“I love you, Hyung.”

“I love you too.”

~&~

Seokjin was pacing around his room, staring at the two different outfits that he narrowed himself down to. Wiping his sweaty palms on his jeans he took a deep breath. On the left was the same turtleneck sweater that he had been wearing the second time he met Yoongi. On the right was a black, silk shirt.

“Honey, can you come here?” Seokjin shouted, then proceeding to bite his thumb.

The tell tale stomping of his son sounded and soon an out of breath Jungkook was standing in his doorway, “What is it, Papa?”

Seokjin bent down and picked the squirming child up, “Which one do you like more?”

“Neither of those are going to fit me.” Jungkook scrunched up his nose.

“For me, baby.” Seokjin let out a giggle.

“Oh… I like the fuzzy one.” Jungkook started to squirm harder and so Seokjin had to set him down. Without another word the child sprinted out of the room, yelling at his Thanos toy. The flower shop owner found himself gnawing on his bottom lip. Yoongi had already seen him in this outfit. Would that even matter to the rapper? Would he even remember it?

Seokjin allowed himself to fall forward and faceplant on his bed. The hanger to his silk pressed into his clavicle, but the discomfort was the furthest thing from his mind. The groan he let out was in his opinion loud, but thankfully his mattress muffled it.

“Hyung, I can hear you thinking from my room.”

“Not right now, Tae.” Seokjin continued speaking into the mattress.

“One more time?”

With another groan Seokjin flipped onto his back, the hanger now pressing into his shoulder blade, “I really don’t need the sass right now.”

Without another word Taehyung throws himself onto the bed. The brothers find themselves staring at the ceiling. Both of them thinking so loudly that the other could almost hear what they wanted to say. However, both of them keep their mouths shut. The only thing that keeps Seokjin grounded is Taehyung’s hand in his.

Focusing on his breathing, Seokjin almost slips into unconsciousness. This is the first time all day that he has felt relaxed. As soon as he had woken up he was getting everything ready for his night out. Dinner was already prepped and just needed to be popped into the oven. A never before seen movie was picked out so Jungkook wouldn’t lose interest. Taehyung had been drilled on Jungkooks schedule even though he knew it by heart already. Of course he also had to run the shop. Then every free thought that Seokjin had was about the date. He hasn’t been this nervous for something since the day Jungkook came into his life.

The two laid there until Seokjin’s alarm goes off on his phone meaning that it’s only an hour and a half before he has to meet Yoongi at the restaurant. Once explaining that to Taehyung, he drags himself to the bathroom so he could start getting ready. After a quick shower and styling of his hair Seokjin looks himself over. He knows he looks good, but worries that it’s not good enough. What if Yoongi decides that he doesn’t want to deal with all of Seokjin’s baggage? What if Yoongi isn’t ready to be a parent?

“Hyung, the reservation is in 30 minutes so you kind of have to get going.” Taehyung breaks him from his thoughts before they get too dark.

With one last once over Seokjin leaves the his bathroom. He is surprised to see Jungkook sitting on his bed, playing with his Ironman action figure. Once Seokjin had stepped out Taehyung bumped the child with his hip, startling the boy. Jungkook blinks rapidly at his father and beams, “Wow, Papa! You look great!”

Seokjin coos and quickly lifts his son up into a hug. After being barraged by a dozen kisses, Jungkook begins to whine.

“When are we going to get going, Papa?”

“What do you mean?” Seokjin smiles at his son as he wipes away at the kisses.

“We are going on a date with Squish-ssi, right?”

“Oh, honey.” Seokjin mimics the pout forming on Jungkook’s lips, “This dinner is going to be only Yoongi and I.”

“What? Why can’t I go?” Jungkook’s thick brows pull in.

“Because… Well because this is just for me and Yoongi. We are going to get to know each other better.” Seokjin has no idea if he’s explaining this right.

“Does Squish-ssi not like me anymore?” Jungkook’s eyes are beginning to look hazy.

Seokjin feels his stomach drop as he pulls his son in for another hug, “Of course he still likes you! He said that after we grab dinner he can’t wait to come back and play with you.”

“He did?” Taehyung raises a brow, smugly smiling at Seokjin.

“He did.” Seokjin bites back.

Jungkook lets out a pitiful sniffle, “But I still no understand why I can’t go eat dinner.”

“Don't understand.” Seokjin corrects softly, looking to Taehyung for help.

The college student throws his hands up in the air and looks around wildly, “Oh…. Uhhhh… That’s because I wanted to hang out with you tonight, Kookie. Just us. We don’t want your Papa around, because he’s so old and stuff.”

“How dare-” Seokjin has to bite his tongue to prevent himself from full on screaming at Taehyung.

“That’s true. Papa is always way more ready to for night night even after his nap.”

Seokjin huffs, putting Jungkook back on the bed.

“It takes a lot running a store.”

“Like what?” Jungkook sniffles again, most signs of his almost tantrum gone.

“Too much for me to explain to you right now.” Seokjin looks at the time on his phone, “I really do have to get going. Gimme a kiss.”

Seokjin bends down and presents his cheek for his son. When Jungkook is satisfied with how much he slobbered on his father he lets out a loud ‘Muah!’ and giggles.

“Be good for you uncle.” Seokjin warns as he back out of the door. Jungkook lets out another giggle, which sounds far more sinister than his previous one. However, Seokjin was already running five minutes late and didn’t have time to dwell on that. It was Taehyung's problem now.  

Even though he was running late he didn’t text Yoongi or speed when driving. The sun had just started setting making it that much harder to see the streets. Seokjin’s anxiety levels were steadily increasing the longer he spent in the metal death trap. Lights were blinding him from all directions, causing his grip to tighten on the steering wheel. His foot gradually left the gas pedal more and more, his speed going further down. Seokjin felt as if he was going at a snail’s pace by the time he reached the restaurant. .

When Seokjin pulled into the parking lot he easily spotted his date. Yoongi was pacing back and forth behind his car. It was a relief to Seokjin that Yoongi decided to wear something comfortable as well. The rapper was wearing a white turtleneck, that was illuminated by Yoongi’s phone screen.

As carefully as he could, Seokjin pulled into the spot next to his date. While  he climbed out Yoongi rushed up to him, “Hi!”

Seokjin was a little taken aback by the how quickly the other had come up. The shorter man was full on beaming and his nose was red from the cold. The air around them was white as Yoongi puffed out a breath.

“Hi. Sorry I’m late, Jungkook didn’t want to let me go.” Seokjin explained, smiling just as widely as Yoongi.

“I figured.” Yoongi put his hands in his pockets, “I was starting to get a little worried that you weren’t just going to show up though.”

Seokjin waved his hand in the air as if swatting a bug, “Never worry about that. If I say I’m going to be somewhere I will be.”

Yoongi scoffed.

“What? You don’t believe me?” The older asked as they finally started to make their way into the building.

It was a smaller building tucked away in the outskirts of Seoul. The outside almost looked like a stereotypical home, and the inside gave the same feeling. Warm yellow light filled the establishment, making every single person look as if they were glowing. The dark, wooden floors contrasted heavily with the white tables and pillars that were spread throughout.

“It’s not that I don’t believe you. I’m just excited to see you always show up for all of our future dates.” Yoongi responded as soon as they were out of the cold.

One last shiver ran through Seokjin’s body before it started letting the heat soak in. Yoongi quickly made his way up to the hostess, yet again not letting Seokjin back track on his words, “Table for two. Reservation under Min Yoongi.”

“Of course, Yoongi-ssi. Follow me.”

With Yoongi leading he made it to the table first. To Seokjin’s surprise his chair was pulled out for him by his date, who was yet again beaming. With a snort, Seokjin sat down in the offered chair and avoided the hostess’ gaze by looking at the menu.

“What? You’ve never had anyone pull out your chair for you?” Yoongi asked in a hushed town when he sat down. They were sat smack dab in the middle of the main room. Couples of all ages surrounded them.

“Can’t say that I have. Seems a little cheesy.” Seokjin notices that Yoongi deflates a little so he adds, “B-but cheesy is nice. People watch romance movies for a reason.”

The rapper lets out a hum and begins to look over the menu. Taking the small bit of silence as an escape Seokjin did the same. His attention was split 50/50. Out of the corner of his eye he was watching Yoongi and the rest of his vision tried to take in the many meals the restaurant had to offer. The shorter man didn’t take all that long to decide on what ever he was getting so he turned his full attention to Seokjin. Feeling and seeing the stare on himself caused Seokjin to flush ever so slightly.

“S-so what did you decide on?” Seokjin closed his menu, realizing he wasn’t going to be able to decide with Yoongi’s gaze on him.

“Steak.”

“Oh that sounds good. I think I will just get the same.”

Yoongi lets out a small laugh and leans back in his chair, “You know I can make a pretty mean steak?”

“Oh can you? Do you teach it curse words?”

The rapper snorts and ignores the joke, “You know I could make it for you and Jungkook one of these nights.”

“Can’t forget Tae, he will surely be there if food is being made at no expense to him.”

“He’s more than welcome. So that will be our second date then?” Yoongi grins like he just won some game.

“Ah I don’t know. I feel like you are cooking to much. I don’t want to toot my own horn, but you know… Toot. I am a pretty good cook myself.”

“Well~” Yoongi leaned back in his chair, “If you are so insistent then I guess you could cook. How does next Friday sound.”

Seokjin realized he just walked into the trap set for him and let out a small laugh, “We will have to see how tonight goes now won’t we?”

They continued their back and forth for a while longer. Seokjin slipped in jokes when ever he could, cracking himself up more than Yoongi. When the waiter came up Seokjin was in the middle of a particularly loud bout laugh so Yoongi ordered for the both of them.

“So, Yoongi, what got you into producing?” Seokjin asked, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye.

The younger man leaned forward in his chair as if he was just presented his food. His eyes had a glimmer in them and a fond smile played on his lips.

“It’s always been rapping for me. Ever since I was a child I knew I wanted to be a rapper. Like I said I have a mixtape out and it did well. I have a few songs floating around, but I don’t know when I will release any of them, so I produce. I enjoy helping people get their message out there. It’s always been rap and nothing else.”

“Nothing else?”

“Nope. When I set my mind on something I usually get what I want.”

Again Yoongi was looking at Seokjin as if he was unsuspecting prey and the rapper was a ravenous wolf. The older looked around the room just to avoid the intensity of the stare.

“What about you?”

“What about me?”

“What lead you to being the owner of Just Flowers? I remember you saying flowers weren’t even in the top three of what you are passionate about. Then you also wanted to open a restaurant.” Yoongi’s memory of such off handed comments surprised Seokjin.

“Oh.” Seokjin looked back at his date, who was back to his relaxed lean back. The older must have been making some sort of face, because Yoongi’s eyebrows furrowed in a silent question. The rapper opened his mouth to ask whatever was on his mind, but nothing was uttered. The question floating between them, unrealized.

Seokjin had just gotten Jungkook to bed. The boy still hadn’t fully realized what had happened. There was still a glimmer of hope in Jungkook’s eyes when he passed by the front door. Anytime something fell Jungkook expected it to be his clumsier father trying to sneak around. However, his hopes would always be dashed when it was just Taehyung, who was still a mess.

The college student hadn’t attended his classes for the past week, even though the funeral had only been just that day. Most of the time he would lay on the couch with a blank expression on his face. The Tv would be playing something that Taehyung wasn’t even watching. Which is what the boy was doing as soon as they had come back from the funeral. He hadn’t even changed out of his suit.

Right as Seokjin opened his mouth to scold Taehyung for all of his wallowing the doorbell rang. With a click of his tongue the recent widow went to it.

Standing before him was a delivery boy with a large bouquet of White Chrysanthemums, tied off with a red bow, “Are you Kim Seokjin?”

“I am.”

“Oh okay! These are for you!” The boy said cheerily, “I hope you feel better soon.”

“Um-” However, Seokjin couldn’t get a word out. The wounds were still fresh and with nobody to lean on he felt as if he was constantly bleeding out. There was no way that he could correct this man right now.

So wordlessly he took the flowers and shut his door. When he rounded the corner a crying Jungkook is what greeted him. The boy stood in the living room, right in front of the tv, wailing. Taehyung continued to just lay on the couch, staring. Seokjin felt as if he had been punched in the gut yet again as Taehyung just watched his nephew in distress. He wanted nothing more than to punch and kick the college student. Maybe that would help with the pain that was constantly in his chest.

Rather than that, Seokjin place the bouquet on the coffee table and went to his son. Quickly he scooped him up. Carefully Seokjin started to make his way to the boys room.

“No! I want to be with Daddy!”

Seokjin couldn’t prevent the sob that bubbled out.

“I wish that we both could be with him, but he’s gone, baby.” Seokjin hadn’t even made it out of the living room when his knees gave out. Using the wall he slid down to the floor right next to the Tv.

“No! I want Daddy!”

“I’m here, baby.” Seokjin soothed, his hand rubbing small circles in Jungkook’s back.

“I don’t want you! I want Daddy!” The child screamed over and over.  

Seokjin had to bite his lip to stop from screaming out. It felt like he was being stabbed repeatedly. Wordlessly he just continued to attempt to sooth his child. Jungkook tried his hardest to break free from the tight grip for a while. The widow was sure that he was going to have a bruise on his cheek from a good right hook. Seokjin spent the rest of the night sitting on the floor with his child in his arms after Jungkook had fallen asleep again.

That was the longest night of Seokjins life. He hadn’t gotten much, if any, sleep. He sat there. Trying not to move at all, lest he wake his child again. Taehyung had fallen asleep at some point on the couch, not turning the TV off.

The following morning the boy didn’t remember his tantrum. The first thing he said when he woke up was, “Pretty!”

Jungkook now easily wiggled out of his exhausted father’s grasp and ran up to the flowers. He grabbed one of the flowers and inhaled deeply.

“Papa, pretty!” Jungkook shouted, ing the flowing in Seokjin’s face. The smell was pleasant and with what little strength he had left Seokjin took the flower from his son. Carefully he placed the stem behind the two year old’s ear and tucked the flower in his hair.

For the rest of the day Jungkook boasted that he was pretty thanks to his new flower. Taehyung had snapped at him at some point about the constant yelling, causing the child to cry and run to his father. Seokjin and Taehyung got into a pretty messy spat, because of it. Both of them saying things they regretted and later apologize about.

However, the argument lead to the college student leaving the house for a few hours, giving Seokjin a chance to clean up. When he finally got to the flowers he took note of the message that was left with it.

             ‘Hope you feel better! Hope to hear some new stuff soon!

                                    -Suga & his team’

The optimism caused Seokjin to smile and again he found himself admiring the flowers.

They would find themselves at home for the next following days, proudly displayed on the coffee table where they had first been discarded.  

“Like I said flowers are pretty.” Seokjin in a sharp breath as all the memories hit him at once, “They also can serve to comfort someone in the worst of times. I wanted to be able to bring a ray of light into everybody's lives, no matter how small.”

“That’s beautiful.”

“Oh-”

“Everything about you is.” Yoongi reached across the table and his hand found Seokjin’s.

The older was startled when he felt the warmth radiate off Yoongi. The grasp felt comforting. Seokjin could sit like this forever if it meant feeling as safe and content as he did with his hand in Yoongi’s. He felt his bottom lip wobble as he tried to muster up a smile. His vision got hazy, but there was no threat of any tears falling.

“You are so kind and it’s amazing. Seokjin, you truly are one of the most amazing people I’ve ever met.” Yoongi spoke up when Seokjin didn’t say anything.

“One of? Not the most amazing?” the older let out a breathy laugh that Yoongi echoed.

“My mom is pretty awesome.”

With the tension broken the rest of dinner was light and breezy. They mostly exchanged stories about work. Yoongi talked on and on about some idol who apparently hated an amazing song he had made specifically for them. Seokjin had many anecdotes about different men coming in for last minute anniversaries and birthdays.

During their whole meal their hands never left each other. Nor did they as they made their way out to their cars.

“I actually had a lot of fun tonight.” Seokjin said as he stared at their shared grip.

Yoongi let out a huff as his lips formed a pout, “Actually? Are you surprised?”

“Do you really want the answer?”

“Wow! You wound me, Hyung.”

Seokjin lets out a boisterous laugh, instinctually he breaks their hold and brings the hand up to cover his mouth. He suddenly feels the cold of the night seep into him. He catches Yoongi’s gaze at his hand as if he was personally offended by Seokjin breaking them apart.

“So dinner at my place next week?” Seokjin tilts his head, causing Yoongi to actually look him in the eyes again. The increasingly familiar, fond smile graces Yoongi’s features.

“It’s a date.”

“It is, but expect Jungkook and Tae to crash it.”

“Sounds perfect.”

The flower shop owner is taken back by how genuine Yoongi sounds.

Seokjin stares at Yoongi and the rapper stares back. Their eyes rake over the other, not knowing where to go from here. Seokjin is starting to get to cold for comfort, but he really doesn’t want to leave. He wants to be in Yoongi’s presence for as long as he can be. It’s the only thing that's stopping him from shivering. It’s like Yoongi is his personal space heater.  He wants to see his lips pout as he talks. He wants to feel the security that he felt when Yoongi held his hand again.

Once they sit in silence for more than is comfortable Yoongi says that he has to get going.

“Yoongi, wait!” Seokjin finds himself saying a bit louder than he intended. Everything in him urging him forward.

Yoongi had just turned around so he was still within Seokin’s grasp. So the older grabs at Yoongi’s wrist to stop him from leaving.

“Wha-” The rapper turns and jumps when he notices how close Seokjin is.

Without another word Seokjin surges forward, pressing his lips to Yoongi’s. They are both tense at first, but soon melt into the kiss. Seokjin’s hand that had been holding the younger’s wrist makes its way up to his shoulder. The other finds itself at the nape of Yoongi’s neck, lightly tugging at the hair there. When their lips start to move against each other’s the rappers hands snake around Seokjin’s waist.

Seokjin enjoys the press of Yoongi’s thin lips to his own. He feels even warmer pressed against the rapper than when their hands were joined. The grasp on his waist is comforting and Seokjin feels safe in these arms. While Yoongi isn’t the largest man the grip is still tight and comforting. Seokjin feels himself sinking deeper and deeper into everything that is Yoongi.

His thoughts just chanting his name over and over again.  

When the shorter man lets his tongue peak out, Seokjin lets out a gasp and moves his head back. Trying to follow after him Yoongi still has his lips slightly puckered. The rapper lets out a whine and Seokjin laughs.

“So next Friday?” Seokjin continues to play with Yoongi’s hair.

“What about tomorrow?” Yoongi asks, his voice still whiny.

“Next Friday it is.” Seokjin finally separates himself from the shorter man.

He enjoys the sight of the flush on Yoongi’s cheeks and his glistening lips. The rapper his puffing out small breaths, causing white fog. He is hyper aware of Yoongi his lips again, which Seokjin unconsciously copies. In a way he feels like he can still taste Yoongi on them.  

“Fine.”

“Okay… Bye.”

“Bye.”

They stand their for a minute more, still staring at each other. Once Seokjin realizes this he giggles and rapidly turns away. Unlocking his car, he climbs in, and looks to see Yoongi still frozen where he was.

With a light feeling in his stomach and a soaring heart, Seokjin drives away. Looking every few seconds to see Yoongi still not moving. The drive home is the least stressful drive that Seokjin has had in years.


Oof. I wanted this date to be perfect and I've rewritten this one a few times. Sorry for how long it's taken. Don't be surprised if the story is updated after this with no new chapter from me editing the date some more :o
Also if u were a reader of It’s My Fate I started writing the prequel Namseok story that I’ve had planned forever. The first chapter is already out if u were curious~