Chapter 6: Calla Lillies

A Second Chance

Calla Lillies are used to symbolize magnificence and beauty. They are considered the perfect wedding flower. 


The next two months Seokjin had been avoiding Jimin’s texts about wedding events to the best of his ability. He felt atrocious everytime he would stare at his phone screen with Jimin’s smiling face. His stomach churned when he thought about how it was his responsibility as Jimin’s best man to be there for him, which he was for the most part. Just never in person.

Jimin had shown up at Just Flowers plenty of times just to check if Seokjin was still alive. From the comfort of Seokjin’s home they would get some wedding planning finished. Of course Jimin had tried to figure out why Seokjin was suddenly so busy when asked to leave his shop, but he got nothing out of the older man. All it took was for Seokjin to snap that it wasn’t anybody's business once for Jimin to get the point.

After being friends with the older for just over a decade at that point Jimin was a master at dealing with all things Seokjin. He had seen the handsome man at his highest and lowest points. Seokjin was a very closed off man. He would shoulder all his pain by himself to the best of his ability until he just broke down. Jimin was just waiting at this point for him to reach the boiling point and he was ready to be the shoulder Seokjin needed to cry on.

Seokjin also saw his breaking point over the horizon. He was losing more and more sleep the closer they got the day of the wedding. Unsure of how he was going to face Yoongi again, he spent the whole night before the wedding awake in bed.

To much about Yoongi reminded him of his deceased husband. When he had said he was a music producer and rapper it was almost like Seokjin could see Namjoon out of the corner of his eye. He didn’t want Yoongi to serve as some grim reminder of the life he could have had. It wasn’t fair to Yoongi or himself to put them in those positions.

There was also the fear of having his heart broken again. Seokjin didn’t want to put himself out there again. He had caught on to the flirting and while in the moment it felt nice, when he got home that evening Seokjin felt sick to his stomach. Yet again he felt like he was betraying Namjoon.

All these thoughts and running through what he was supposed to do kept him up. He didn’t get a wink of sleep and he felt as if a bus had hit him as he woke Jungkook up.

“Kookie, wake up.” Seokjin brushed his son’s bangs off his forehead. The child scrunched up his nose and screwed his eyes shut. Seokjin let out a small laugh, “Come on. Don’t you wanna go to Jiminie’s wedding.”

With that Jungkook’s eyes shot open. Seokjin had to move off the bed to avoid his son jumping out of his blankets.

“Come on, Papa! We gotta get ready! I gotta give Uncle Jimin his ring!” Jungkook was rifling through his drawers to find the perfect outfit.

Knowing that it would only be a few minutes before Jungkook was ready, Seokjin set out to make their breakfasts. For himself he just sliced a grapefruit in half and called it a day. For his son was a bowl of sugary cereal. Normally he would frown upon such a way to start the day, but with the early rising Jungkook was going to need it. Seokjin had to get there as early as Jimin was so he could help him get ready. So they were going to be there a whole six hours before the ceremony started, which was set promptly at noon.  

While Jungkook, who was now dressed in his best white t-shirt, scarfed down his breakfast his father packed up the car. Both their suits were still wrapped and placed in the backseat. Carefully strapped into the front passenger seat was a box of things, including Jimin and Hoseok’s bouquets. They had argued back and forth who would get to hold the flowers, and it was decided in the end that they would just both get to.

Just as Seokjin was about to head back in to get Jungkook, the little boy charged out with a backpack full of toys, “Let’s go, Papa! We are gonna miss it!”

“We are going to be there six hours early, Kiddo.”

“Should have just slept there! We coulda slept through it.” Jungkook climbed into his carseat with the help of his father and did all the buckles himself. Laughing at his sons eagerness, Seokjin got settled into his own seat upfront. He triple checks all his mirrors and then slowly turned the ignition. After pretending to fiddle with the radio stations for a little, before letting out a sigh and putting the car into drive.

Seokjin tightly gripped the steering wheel, as if his life depended on it. He hated driving with a passion. Having never been very good at it since he had started, it was always up to Namjoon to drive them everywhere. Then after the accident Seokjin had developed an intense fear of being on the road. His fear of driving has influenced his life a lot.

It’s why he picked the shop where he did. Everything he needed was within walking distance. Knowing that he wanted Jimin to be Jungkook’s teacher he had selected the neighborhood with that in mind. A large factor in him going to the bakery was it’s closeness. Him going so early to the wedding was also because the roads were bound to be more clear this early in the morning.

Unable to relax, Seokjin turned up the radio so his son could sing along to the newest hits. He tried to sing along himself, but his voice was far to shaky.

Thankfully the church wasn’t all that far from where he lived either. This is most likely because Jimin and Hoseok knew of his hatred of driving. There was one time just after Namjoon had passed that Seokjin had come over to their place for dinner. The poor man had broken down in tears halfway through and had to pull over. Hoseok had to pick up and console both Seokjin and Jungkook.

With a large sigh Seokjin pulled into the almost empty parking lot. Out of the few scattered cars, Seokjin could tell that both the grooms were here. Jimin took the whole can’t see the other person for 24 hours thing very seriously. The previous night Jimin had slept over and then slipped out even earlier than them.

“Stay close to me and out of trouble.” Seokjin warned his son as he struggled to carry both the box and tuxes.

“Duh.”

“Lose the tude. I’m being serious. If you are naughty today you don’t get any cake.”

“But-”

“No buts.”

Jungkook let out a huff, but dropped the topic. If Jungkook had his way he would be all over the church. Hiding in the pews. Disturbing the residence. Sneaking into the dungeon he was sure that was below with his child's imagination. He struggled to just walk next to his father as the older searched for Jimin’s dressing room.

“Uncle Jiminie!” Jungkook called out after Seokjin had him open a fourth door.

“Is that who I think it is?” Jimin popped his head out from the end of the hallway, a large smile on his face.

“Uncle Jiminie!” Jungkook squealed and booked it towards his teacher. Jimin squatted and braced himself for impact. The child flung himself full force into Jimin’s arms, who picked him up and twirled them around. Seokjin couldn’t even find it in himself to get mad at Jungkook leaving his side when the child giggled in excitement.

As Jungkook caught his breath, leaning his head on Jimin’s shoulder, the teacher smiled at Seokjin, “You finally made it.”

“Finally.” Seokjin scoffed, “I’m sorry I’m only here six hours early.”

“Five and half!” Jimin hissed, walking back into his dressing room.

It wasn’t all that large, but it would do. It had a single vanity and a few scattered chairs. The seafoam green walls made Seokjin feel as if he was going to be on TV. All of Jimin’s things were scattered throughout the room. His wedding tux was hanging from the side of the vanity, still in the bag.

“What do you need help with?” Seokjin asked, setting his box of things down on a chair.

“You not allowing me to run away.”

“I’m sorry what?”

“He says he doesn’t wanna run way, Papa.” Jungkook repeated for Jimin, pulling his toys from his backpack.

“Hyung, I’m so scared.” Jimin plopped himself down at the vanity and hid his face in his hands.

Seokjin gulped and moved a chair close to his best friend. Slowly he pried Jimin’s hands from his face. “What are you scared of?”

“What if Hoseok wakes up one day and doesn't love me? What if I do that?”

Seokjin lets out a squeaky laugh, but plays it off with a cough, “That’s the dumbest thing I think I’ve ever heard you say and you used to actually believe that a watched pot will never boil.”

“Hyung, please don’t bring that up right now.” Jimin’s cheeks flush.

“I’m being serious, Jiminie. You and Hoseok are meant for each other. There is no reason-”

“What if he falls in love with an idol though?”

Again Seokjin scoffs, “Hoseok only has eyes for you. Also, you are just as cute as those idols you have nothing to worry about.”

“But-”

“He only sees them when they are sweaty and gross.”

“Okay, but-”

“Shut up.”

“Hey-”

“Jimin, shut up. You are being paranoid.”

“Yeah Uncle Jiminie, shut up.” Jungkook chimes in from his place on the ground. The child’s cheeky smile fades with a glare from his father.

“You are right, Hyung.”

“When aren’t I?”

They continue to bicker back and forth for the next few hours. They are in no rush to get ready as it wasn’t going to take much to be ready. Jimin had already applied a light layer of makeup, so he could compete with the idols worked with. Seokjin helped him with his already perfect hair. The six hours were filled with laughs and reminiscing about Jimin and Hoseok’s relationship.

“I never thought I would get to have a wedding.”

“Neither of us did.” Seokjin smiles wistfully. Memories of when he and Jimin had first met playing in his mind. They were both so small and scared of the world around them.

“I also can’t believe we only met like five years ago  at-” Jimin’s voice trailed off when he realized where they had actually met.

“At mine and Joonie’s wedding, yeah. That was a really good day.” Seokjin was now on the ground. His son was leaned back against his chest taking a nap. Jungkook had started by playing, but his father had taken to running his fingers through his hair and that soothed the child into a nap.

“I-it was.” Jimin looked out the small window, that was actually stained glass and couldn’t be seen through. They never talked about Namjoon so this was slightly new territory for the groom.

“I miss him so much, Jiminie.” Seokjin sighed, closing his eyes and leaning back until his head hit a nearby chair.

“I do to. He was always so good to me.”

“He was good to everyone. His heart was too big.” Seokjin let out a wet laugh.

“Hyung-”

“Kim Seokjin, I am so happy that two years ago you forced me to go on a date. You have brightened up my life. You have made me a better man. Normally I could go on for hours about something as simple as a cup of coffee and the symbolism behind it, but when it comes to you I am at a loss of words. You are perfect, Jinnie. There is no way that I could live without you anymore. I promise that I will never leave, because I couldn’t. We are one, Jin.”

“I’m fine. I’ll be fine.” Seokjin had to bit his lip to hold in the sob that threatened to escape. His hands were getting shakier by the second so he stopped running his fingers through Jungkook's hair. The kid was going to need his nap if he wanted to actually be coherent for the ceremony.

“Hyung, how about you get some fresh air. I’ll take Kookie.”

“Are you sure?”

“I can’t run away and leave your child alone so you don’t have to worry about me.”

“I’m sorry. I feel like I’m ruining your special day by making it about me.” Seokjin gingerly stood and carried Jungkook over to the teacher.

“Oh hush it. So long as you don’t steal my fiance from me in the middle of the ceremony then this day is still going to be about me.” Jimin gently smiled up at him, situating Jungkook into a comfortable position.

Seokjin quietly made his way out of the dressing room and down the long hallway back to the front. He debated going outside and maybe sitting in his car, but he didn’t want the wind to mess up his hair so he opted for a pew. The wooden seats luckily had padding so it wasn’t so terrible to sit in.

Now that he was alone, Seokjin let all his feelings rack through him. He didn’t even try to stop the tears from flowing. They burned his cheeks and they dragged down his face, collecting on his chin and dropping to his shirt. He was so tired of having to hold everything in. Seokjin truly wished that he could just move on. However, he didn’t want to abandon Namjoon in anyway. He wanted to honor his memory till his final breath. In his vows he promised forever.

“Is this seat- Oh my god! Are you okay?” A familiar, gravelly voice gasped from next to him.

Seokjin blinked his eyes open. The sight before him made him let out a choked laugh. Of course, out of everybody who could have found him it was Yoongi bent over him. He was already dressed in his tux, his tie loose around his neck. His hair looked disheveled, but purposefully so.

“Of course it’s you. It just had to be you.” Seokjin continued to let out pathetic laughs. This caused Yoongi’s lips to turn in a frown and his brows to furrow.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Yoongi asked defensively.

“Nothing.” Seokjin took a second to think about it and corrected himself, “Well it’s nothing bad anyway.”

“Nothing bad? You are crying in a church an hour before your best friend is going to get married.”

Damn Yoongi and his sound logic.

“It’s nothing that concerns you.”

“But it could concern me.”

“Yoongi-ssi-”

“Just call me Yoongi.”

Seokjin hated how he wanted to so desperately. He wanted to lose his formality with the younger man. However, if allowed himself to get comfortable around Yoongi who knows where he could end up. Any risk of his heart being broken wasn’t in Seokjin’s plan. He couldn’t risk being left for a fourth time.

While Seokjin debated himself, Yoongi spoke up again, “I uhh- I know that we don’t really know each other all that well, but ummm- I want to. Like get to know you.”

“Really?” Seokjin scoffs.

“What?”

“That’s what you want to talk about while I’m crying in a public place?” Seokjin laughs again.

“Yeah, because you don’t feel comfortable with me. You won’t tell me what’s wrong.” Yoongi settles into the spot next to Seokjin. Their arms are brushing with how close the younger man decided to be.

“We are practically strangers.” Seokjin reasons.

“Only because you won’t talk to me.” Yoongi shoots back.

“If I told you all my baggage you would be running for the hills.”

“Try me.” Seokjin turned his head from where it was laid back against the pew to get a good look at the younger man. There was a strange intensity lighting up Yoongi’s dark eyes.

“Three years ago-”

“Seokjin! Seokjin, we really need to finish getting- Oh. Hi, Yoongi.” Jimin was dressed up in his suit sans his tie.

“Jimin.” the rapper nodded at the groom to be and turned his attention back to Jin, “Looks like you are being summoned.”

“Looks like I am.” Seokjin quickly wipes away his remaining tears and stands, “We will have to continue this some other time.”

Yoongi stands with him, “I’ll hold you to that.”

“Please don’t.” Seokjin whispers. Without even thinking about it his hands find their way to Yoongi’s tie. Gently he tightened the accessory and once he was satisfied with it he quickly swiped his hands over Yoongi’s shoulders. “It’s your best friend's wedding. Try to look more put together.” Seokjin turns away and begins to follow Jimin down the hall.

“Says you!” Yoongi’s words held no malice, they weren’t said to hurt Jin’s feelings. He saw the game of cat and mouse Yoongi was trying to play.

Jimin waited until they were out of earshot to ask, “What was that all about? Were you flirting with Yoongi?”

“What? No!” Seokjin says defensively, lightly shoving the teacher.

“What was that with the tie? And the teasing about his appearance.”

“It’s nothing, Jimin.” Seokjin begins to take longer strides so he can make it to the dressing room before his best friend.

Inside he is greeted by Jungkook who is again playing with his toys. Except now he is dressed in his little suit and his hair has been gelled and styled up. “Papa, hurry! Uncle Jiminie says everybody is going to be here soon.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” Seokjin waves his hands through the air. He takes a seat at the vanity himself and steals some of Jimin’s makeup. He had to do something about his red eyes and nose. Jimin kept Jungkook busy while Seokjin got dressed and styled his own hair.

“You ready?” Seokjin asks when they hear the familiar sounds of an organ. He is holding out his arm for Jimin to take. As Jimin has no family it is up to Jin to give him away.

“Ready.” Jimin whispers.

“Me too!” Jungkook yells, in his hand is a pillow holding both the rings.

Both the adults let out a laugh at Jungkook’s exclamation.

~&~

The whole ceremony goes off without a hitch. Seokjin is crying again as they exchange their vows. He hides behind his son, who he started to hold after the child delivered the rings. The grooms did a trade off of their bouquets of Calla Lilies with Jungkook, so those are also helping to hide Seokjin’s crying.

Through his blurry vision, Seokjin can see that Yoongi wipes away a stray tear of his own.

“Don’t cry, Papa.” Jungkook says a little too loud, causing the priest to stumble on his words. Jimin lets out a wet laugh of his own, as does some of the audience. Taehyung, who is stood behind Seokjin, lightly shoves his shoulder. To mask his embarrassment, Seokjin joins in the laughter and shushes his son.

Once the now married couple kisses Seokjin begins to let out cheers, which his son mimics. For some reason Seokjin can also easily pick up the shouts and claps of Yoongi. Slowly, but surely, the guests and wedding party file into the rec room of the church. It just so happens to be in the basement much to Jungkook’s amazement.

Seokjin, and by extension Jungkook, sit at a long table meant for the guests of honor. Jimin and Hoseok sit in the center with Seokjin closest to Jimin, and Taehyung sat on the other side of Hoseok. The rest of Hoseok’s groomsmen sit on his side. On Seokjin’s other side is Yoongi, who looks very smug about this.

“That’s Taehyung’s seat.” Seokjin leans over and whispers to Yoongi. Jungkook is distracted by the beautiful cake in the center of the room. His eyes as wide as the moon as he takes in the many layers of chocolate.

“I asked him to switch.”

“Well you shouldn’t have.” Seokjin hisses.

“You were in the middle of a story.” Yoongi leans back in his chair. Where was this arrogance coming from? Seokjin much prefered the shy Yoongi.

“I was at the beginning of a story I should have never started.”

“Seokjin-hyung, just let me-”

“Squish!”

Jungkook finally turned his attention away from the delicacy to notice who was sitting next to him. He begins to squirm in Seokjin’s hold and reaching towards the rapper, much to the surprise of all the adults in earshot. His squirming led to Seokjin getting kicked and forcing a groan from him.

“Do you mind?” Seokjin asks Yoongi, his eyes signaling towards the child. He doesn’t really want to give his child up. Especially to Yoongi. The man was still too unknown to Seokjin.

“Uhhh... I guess not.” Yoongi holds out his hands. Still wriggling, Jungkook is passed off to the younger man and is sat on the table. His hands reach out and begin tugging and poking at Yoongi’s cheeks. The rapper keeps his face relaxed, trying his hardest not to scowl. How could he when Jungkook is such a cute kid? Much like his father who was watching the scene with amazement. As was Jimin right next to him.

Seokjin felt his heart pick up and flutters in his stomach. Yoongi had a loose, but steady grip on Jungkook. Ready to secure the child if anything were to happen. He was unbothered by all of the child’s poking and prodding. Yoongi looked far from uncomfortable like he was last time.

“And you said nothing was going on.” Jimin whispers smuggly.

Seokjin just responds by jabbing the younger man in his side.

Yoongi watches over Jungkook until it is time for cake and dancing. With mention of the treat that Jungkook had been so patiently waiting for all day, the child was gone. Yoongi actually had to stop the child from jumping off the table to get at the cake once the grooms had cut into it. When dancing began Jungkook kept himself busy either dancing by himself or with some of the older, single ladies that attended.

Jimin and Hoseok were both dancers so they were of course the stars of the show. A complete opposite to Seokjin at his own wedding. He wanted nothing more than to just disappear into the ground as he and Namjoon had stomped all over each other’s feet.

“We are alone.” Yoongi states, taking a small bite of his own slice of cake.

Seokjin just hums in response, pretending to be distracted by his own slice of cake.

“I was thinking that we could uhh- we could- or should grab dinner one of these nights. Get to know each other better like I had been saying.” Yoongi begins to push his cake around.

“Yoongi-ssi-”

“Just Yoongi.”

“Fine.” Seokjin sighs, “Yoongi, I think it would be best for the both of us if we don’t see each other after this.”

The younger man visibly deflates, “Why though? I promise, if you can give me a good reason I will drop it.”

“I can’t talk about it.”

“Then it’s not that big of a deal, right? Just one dinner and if you hate it-”

“It is a big deal, Yoongi! That’s why I can’t talk about it.” the wedding couple are the only ones that notice Seokjin’s sharp tone and turn to look at them. Hoseok whispers something to Jimin and the shorter nods.

“If you’re scared that it’s cause you have a kid, then don’t be. I like him. He’s cute. J-just like you.” Yoongi and Seokjin finally look at each other and the rapper’s cheeks are dusted pink.

The desperate look in Yoongi’s eyes causes Seokjin’s defenses to waver. He almost finds himself giving in. Almost.

“Yoongi, it’s so much more than Jungkook.”

“How about this.” Yoongi sighs. He pulls a pen from his pocket and begins to scribble on a napkin, “This is my number. If you change your mind in the future then you can text or call me and we can set something up.”

“You just carry a pen on you?” Seokjin stares down at the number, debating whether or not to pocket it.

“That’s what you want to comment on?”

“It’s just odd.”

“Well, if you must know. I was planning on giving you my number at some point tonight so I came prepared.” Yoongi murmured, breaking their eye contact to look back at the cake.

Yet again Seokjin felt the fluttering in his stomach. He feels his own cheeks heat up. Before he can speak up again, Jungkook is on his tippy toes to look over the table, “Papa! Dance with me!”

“Of course, honey.” Seokjin says brightly.

He stands up from the table and makes his way to the dance floor with his son. He lifts the child up and sways to the beat of the music. Jungkook is talking about all the different he had danced with so far, Seokjin intently listening to his son.

From across the room, Yoongi is watching with a small smile. Seokjin makes the mistake of meeting his gaze again. Feeling a little weak in the knees he does a spin, causing Jungkook to laugh, just so his back is to the younger man. Seokjin can feel the napkin with his number burning in his pocket.


I'm probably gonna spruce up this chapter in the future, but I've been staring at it for over an hour with nothing more to add. 
Will Jin call Yoongi? Whoooo knowsssss