Chapter 8: Sunflower

A Second Chance

Sunflowers are used to symbolize happiness and adoration.


 

Jungkook woke up with a start. The sun had just started to rise, casting his room in an orange light and making all the Ironmen appear as if they were glowing. Looking around his room wildly he tried to spot the main topic of his dreams. However, Squ-No, Yoongi, was nowhere to be seen. Panic spiked in Jungkook’s chest and he felt short of breath. Yoongi was there when he had been asleep and the man had said he would sleep over, but where was he? Had he abandoned Jungkook?

After having to fight against the tight binds of his blanket, Jungkook jumped from his bed. He practically ran into his door when trying to turn the doorknob. With the swingable wall out of his way Jungkook sprinted to the living room.

“Yoongi?” the child called out in a alarm, unbeknownst to him tears began to form in his eyes.

When he didn’t immediately see the man, Jungkook made his way to the kitchen. The dishes from last night were on the drying rack, which let Jungkook know that Yoongi’s appearance hadn’t been a dream. He really had come at Jungkook's call and taken care of both Jungkook and his Papa. Wait! Papa!

Jungkook his heel and sprinted to his father's room. This time he had ran into the door. His little legs had kept moving and his hand couldn’t open the door quick enough. With a loud thud Jungkook was flung back, falling on his bum hard enough that it was going to leave a bruise.

“P-Papa!” Jungkook clutched his forehead and wailed outside the door.

Jungkook heard the telltale signs that his father was getting out of his bed. The shuffling of sheets and a groan that Papa had been releasing a lot since he had gotten sick. As expected his father opened the door and looked down at him. What surprised the both of them was when at the same second, Jungkook was scooped up by a different pair of arms.

“You gotta slow down, kiddo.” Jungkook looked passed his tears to see a disheveled Yoongi. His hair was all over and the sweater he had been wearing had stretched out, almost revealing his whole shoulder.

“Y-You are here?” Jungkook makes fists and wipes away his tears.

“Of course I am. Where else would I be?”

Jungkook feels dread in the pit of his stomach. He knows of a place where somebody has gone and has yet to return. A place where that if one goes they will never return according to his Papa. It’s where his first dad went.

“Heaven?” A fresh wave of tears fall.

“Wha- Hey! I’m not going to heaven.” Yoongi quickly shushes the child. The rapper looks up to Seokjin who looks about ready to cry as well so he speaks up again, “How about I make us all some breakfast? Does that sound good, Jungkook?”

“Can I help?” The child wipes his snot on Yoongi’s exposed neck.

Suppressing a shiver, Yoongi nods his head, “Of course, and then we can get you ready for school.”

Jungkook lays his head down on Yoongi’s shoulder. He lets out a few more whimpers, but calms down after listening to the dull thud of Yoongi’s heart. His Papa is still in the doorway of his room, his glassy eyes taking in the scene before him.

“I-Um I’m gonna get washed up and then I’ll help you guys.” Even Jungkook can tell that Seokjin’s smile is forced. It’s the same smile that he wears when he tells Jungkook that he’s fine after the child catches him crying at night.

“It’s fine. How about you get some more rest and then by the time you wake up I’ll be gone.” Yoongi’s shoulders go rigged and Jungkook lets out a whine.

“Actually I wanted to talk to you about something. So could you- Uhh, could you come back after dropping Kookie off?” Seokjin asks in an almost silent voice. The child notices that the thumping in Yoongi’s chest speeds up.

Both of the adults stare at each other until Jungkook lets out a whine and complains for food.

“Right! Food! Okay!” Yoongi quickly takes them to the kitchen.

The rapper places Jungkook on the counter and crouches a little so they are at eye level. Jungkook takes note that Yoongi’s face is still puffy from sleep. “What are you in the mood for, kiddo?”

“I want pancakes!” Jungkook kicks his legs out, almost hitting Yoongi. His breakdown completely forgotten at the prospect of choosing breakfast.

Yoongi laughs and begins to get to work.

~&~

Seokjin stares at himself in his bathroom mirror. His cheeks are puffy from sleep and his hair is a mess from tossing and turning. He had been so embarrassed that he had kissed Yoongi that he couldn’t stay still in bed. Now his eyes were rimmed with red with tears falling.

“Heaven.”

It only took Jungkook uttering one word to dissolve Seokjin into a mess. He hated that the child was so ready to jump to such conclusions based on their past. He hated that Jungkook still thought of Namjoon so often. He hated that he hated Jungkook remembering his own father.

“!” Seokjin hisses and crouches to the ground with his back pressed to the sink cabinets, “How the am I supposed to do this without you Namjoon?”

Seokjin can hear them laughing in the kitchen and another sob racks through him. Yoongi is exactly what Jungkook needs. He’s exactly what Seokjin needs. However, the fear of being abandoned is keeping him at bay. It’s like there is this barrier and while it’s getting weaker, its still there and it’s keeping Seokjin from going for it.

Doped up on drugs and feverish Seokjin was able to be weak around Yoongi. He was able to act on his instinct, his desires. The flower shop owner so desperately wants to let Yoongi in. However, there is always that small voice that reminds him of his commitment of forever to Namjoon. Then in addition to that, what if when Yoongi finally sees who Seokjin is he leaves. What is Seokjin to do then? He’s not sure how many more times he can pick up the pieces of his life.

Unable to face either his son or the kind man helping him out, Seokjin stays in the bathroom until they leave. All Seokjin can focus on is trying to calm himself down. He can’t have a full on break down right now. He invited Yoongi back and has to be presentable and a functioning adult by then. While Jungkook and the rapper laugh about whatever out in the kitchen, Seokjin is breathing in and out. He is counting sheep in his head. Doing anything to distract himself from the pain he’s feeling in his chest.

As Jungkook grabs his backpack from his room he calls a goodbye through the door, which Seokjin weakly returns. Once he hears the store door close Seokjin drags himself into the shower.

He halfheartedly cleans himself, blaming it on still being sick. After drying off he getting dressed in his softest of pajamas. They are decorated in a fluffy white Alpaca from a children’s show that Jungkook loves. Suddenly, Seokjin's stomach is grumbling. Which causes him to smile it's a good sign that his appetite is coming back.

Now dorning slippers, Seokjin shuffles his way to the kitchen to scrounge up some food for himself. However, waiting for him on the counter is a bowl of porridge with two small notes. One is just his name, which Seokjin surmises was written by Yoongi based on the chicken scratch. The other has to be Jungkook’s as it has a small drawing. It is a picture of Seokjin in bed eating his porridge and in the corner is a small message.

‘Love you lots, Papa!’

“Ahh, my Jungkookie is so sweet.” Seokjin giggles as he heats up his food. His own cheeks have heated up as well when he thinks of the fact that Yoongi has made him food again. It’s nice to have someone take care of you, Seokjin reflects. He hasn’t let someone do that for three years.

Not even when he was at his lowest right after the accident. He allowed Jimin and Hoseok to feed him every so often and he had Taehyung's help with Jungkook, but that was different. That was for his kid. This attention is all for him.

Seokjin settles down at the table. Rather than actually eating his food he’s looking over the two notes. Lightly, Seokjin traces over the lines of his name on Yoongi’s note. The rapper probably just wrote something in a hurry because Jungkook had made something. Seokjin shouldn’t get so giddy over something so simple and most likely not filled with romantic intent.

He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t hear the bell chime downstairs. Nor did he hear the door to his own house open.

“Knock knock?” The gravelly voice that Seokjin definitely wasn’t thinking about sounds, startling the flower shop owner.

“Oh Yoongi! You scared me!” Seokjin clutches at his heart, tucking Yoongi’s note under Jungkook’s.

“Yeah I can tell.” the younger man laughs, “What no Yoongi-shi?”

“You took my son to school for me. I can drop formalities, can I not?” Seokjin fires back, moving his food around.

“You’re more than welcome to.” Yoongi smiles that gummy smile that is destroying all of Seokjin’s defenses.

In order to avoid having to come up with words to say, Seokjin begins to eat.

“So what was so funny that you were smiling at your breakfast? Is it that delicious?” Yoongi quirks an eyebrow at Seokjin.

“Your food is bland.” Seokjin deadpans.

“It’s porridge! It’s supposed to be!” Yoongi whines and Seokjin can feel himself melt.

Rather than fondly smile at the pouting man, Seokjin continues to stuff himself with food. Which to Yoongi makes it seem like his cooking is irresistable, making the rapper just a bit more smug. Yet again they fall into a small silence. The only sounds are the ticking of the clock and the clinking of Seokjin’s spoon on his bowl.

Seokjin finds it easy to not talk around Yoongi. The other man has busied himself with looking around the house at all the different pictures hanging on the walls. A few snorts here and there are heard as Yoongi takes in all the crazy outfits that Seokjin has dressed his son up in.

“He’s young so I can still get away with dressing him up however I want.” Seokjin supplies.

Yoongi quirks his brow again, “You sure about that? I’m pretty sure that when we first met he was hiding from your dress up sessions.”

“Yah! He was running away, because he didn’t get a nap that day. My son loves taking pictures with me.”

“I’m sure.”

“You don’t sound it!”

“No I’m very sure. The millions of pictures hanging are proof enough of that.” Yoongi sounds far more genuine now, “However, if you don’t mind I have a question.”

“Shoot.” Seokjin hopes that he sounds calm, because on the inside he’s screaming.

“Why none of Taehyung or Jimin and Hoseok?”

“Oh! That’s simple.” Seokjin starts to laugh, “They don’t let me dress them up.”

“If I let you dress me up, would you hang my pictures?” Yoongi asks with a wink.

Seokjin gulps at the implication and abruptly stands from the table. He snatches his bowl up and begins to wash it. “I’ll have to think on that one.” Seokjin says after an incredibly long pause, which causes Yoongi to start laughing as Seokjin feels his face heat up in embarrassment.

“So not to sound rude or anything, because I really do enjoy spending time with you, but why did you ask me back here?” The rapper asks when his laughter subsides.

“O-oh? Do you have somewhere to be?” Seokjin mentally slaps himself. Of course Yoongi has somewhere else to be. He is a grown adult with a job who already dropped everything to take care of Seokjin and his son yesterday. Even if he isn’t working for some reason, which would be odd since its the middle of the week, the rapper would probably prefer to be in his own home.

“Nope. Just curious.” Yoongi scratches at his ear, his eyes looking at anything and everything other than Seokjin.

“Are you lying?” Seokjin places one hand on his hip as if he’s catching Jungkook doing something he’s not supposed to.

“Why would I lie?” He’s still not looking his way.

“I have no earthly idea as to why you would lie about having prior commitments.”

“Well I wouldn’t so... there. Settled.”

“So you have no problem with spending the whole day with me?” Seokjin begins to smile when Yoongi looks like a trapped animal.

“The whole day?”

“Yeah, the whole day.”

“Nope! I’m free as a bird!”

Yoongi now looks like a puppy with a bone, which only causes Seokjin’s smile to grow, “Perfect. I’m still sick I can’t really run the store by myself and we were already closed yesterday. Since you are free and willing could you run the store for me. I would be there to help if anything to serious pops up.”

Seokjin has to bite back his laughter when Yoongi visibly deflates.

“Y-Yeah. That’d be cool. It’s always been my dream to run a flower shop.”

“Oh really? I’m so glad to have helped you live this out then.” Seokjin beams back.

~&~

Seokjin is now dressed in a big hoodie and more reasonable sweatpants, seated behind the register. Yoongi was sweeping one of the isles while grumbling to himself. His shoulders were slack and the broom was barely getting the fallen petals. As he murmured his lips jutted out in a pout. The sight before him was so adorable that Seokjin wanted to wrap the rapper up in a tight hug and skip work all together.

It’s not like they had been exceptionally busy. They only had one customer, a teenage boy who wanted to buy his girlfriend some flowers. It was quite entertaining for Seokjin to watch as Yoongi led the boy up and down the isles offering suggestions.

“You haven’t worked a day in your life have you?” The flower shop owner leans his cheek in his palm on the counter.

“I work almost everyday.”

“Except for these past two?”

“I was at work yesterday and I happen to be off today.” Yoongi said with a wave of his hand. He had said the lie so many times that Seokjin was beginning to believe him.

“I’m sure. Anyways, I wasn’t talking about producing. Yes that’s a job, but it’s not retail.”

“Oh… Well then no.”

“Hmmm, it shows.”

Seokjin laughs at the offended look on Yoongi’s face. His button nose scrunches up as if he smelled something foul. His thin brows furrow and his mouth screws up, no doubt holding in a few curses.

“I have amazing customer service skills!” the rapper crosses his arms, making him look like a petulant child.

“You are far too quiet to have good customer service skills. That boy had to hunt you down just to get you to help. You also look like you want to die just because you are sweeping. Which also leads me to believe you probably don’t even clean your house.” Seokjin started laughing hysterically.

“I clean my house! Why is this suddenly attack Min Yoongi hour? I bet you haven’t worked in retail either. You probably went to college on your parents dime just like me and then they probably paid for this place as well.” Yoongi huffed back.

The laughter stopped. When Seokjin froze and didn’t fire back with an equally sassy remark Yoongi started to get worried. His arms uncrossed and his face untwisted. Except for his brow which was still pulled in as his eyes searched Seokjin’s face for an explanation for his sudden silence.

“Hyung-”

“I worked two part time jobs through high school and went to school on a scholarship that I kept due to good grades.” Seokjin clears his throat and blinks through the haze in his eyes. If he gets lost in his youth any longer he will no doubt start crying. “But, you are right I didn’t really buy this place. It was given to me by someone who love me a lot.”

“Two part time jobs?”

“I had to support myself. Plus, I had to look after Jiminie.”

Yoongi put his broom to the side and slowly made his way up to the register. As the rapper got closer Seokjin began to lean back in his chair. Yoongi took note of this and awkwardly stood in the middle of the room. Yoongi tried to catch Seokjin’s eyes and when he couldn’t he asked, “Why?”

“I think that is enough sharing for one day.” Seokjin turns to a catalog of seeds.

“One of these days you are going to feel comfortable enough to let me in.”

“Is that so?” Seokjin adds a teasing lilt to his voice, hoping to mask the fear that was threatening to close up his throat. If he was that comfortable around Yoongi then he would be to far gone.

“You know it. Even though I’ve never worked retail I’m an incredibly patient person.”

“You’ll be waiting a long time.”

“That's fine with me.” Yoongi starts smiling again and crosses the last little distance up to the register, “Hyung?”

“Hmmm?” Seokjin tries to not startle when Yoongi places his hands on the register. He also tries to not study the veins that protrude on the surprisingly large hands. He absolutely isn’t focused on the many rings that decorate the digits.

“How are you paying me for my time today?”

“You aren’t just doing this out of the kindness of your heart, Yoongichi?”

“Yoongichi?” Jin takes note of the rapper flex his hand. He so desperately wants to see the look on Yoongi’s face. Why wasn’t he looking at him again? Oh right! He couldn’t let the rapper make him weak in the knees with his stupid face. His stupidly good looking face.

“Didn’t you say that I’m welcome to be as informal as I please?” Jin smirked at his literature.

“I guess I did, didn’t I?” Yoongi sighs.

“You did.”

“Okay, well Jinnie how about out of the kindness in your own heart you treat me to dinner.”

“It will have to be some other night. I’m too sick and I don’t have much in the way of a meal.”

“Oh of course not tonight, your health is far more important than dinner-”

“I wouldn’t go that far.” Seokjin practically whispered.

“-and I wasn’t thinking like a dinner at home. I was thinking more of like a date. Where you treat me to a meal. At a restaurant.”

At the word date Seokjin finally tears his gaze away from his magazine. Yoongi is beaming at him. It almost rivals how radiant Hoseok can be when he gets really happy or excited. Seokjin can feel his heart skip a beat and his mouth dries up immediately.

He wants to say yes. He wants to say yes so bad. Every part of Seokjin’s body is screaming yes. His hand wants to reach out and feel the many rings on Yoongi’s. His heart longs for a lover desperately. His gut is telling him that Yoongi is his future. Just like it had with Namjoon and his shop. His gut had never steered him wrong.

Everything was screaming for Yoongi, except for his mouth.

“I… Uhhhhh…”

“Just one date Hyung and if it turns out that we would be terrible together then I can just stay as a friend and Jungkook’s amazing uncle.” Yoongi pleads, the smile not leaving his face.

“Since when were you Jungkook’s uncle?”

“So you admit we are friends then?” Yoongi shot back.

“I never said that.”

“Because you want to be something more? So do I, so let's do this date.”

Seokjin opens his mouth to say no. He can’t take the risk. He has a child who doesn’t deserve a mess of his father.

However, what really comes out is, “Yes.”

“Yes? Really? Yes!” Yoongi’s arms shoot into the air, his hands clenched and shaking with victory.

“Wait-” Seokjin feels out of breath. Why had he said yes? He meant to say no! Damn his brain for being all mixed up.

Before Seokjin can backpedal the shop door opens up and in walks Jimin with Jungkook clutching his hand. That is until he notices his father at the register.

“Papa, you are off the couch!” Jungkook is quick to race passed Yoongi, who is slowly backing up while Seokjin glares at him.

“I sure am, baby.” Seokjin bends a little so that he can lift his child into his lap.

Jimin tilts his head in question at Yoongi who is getting closer to the door.

“He said yes.” Yoongi whispers to Jimin who looks even more confused.

“What?”

“I gotta go before he can take it back.” Yoongi is opening the door again, letting a draft in, “I’ll text you later, Jin!”

Jimin blinks rapidly as Yoongi is running out the door. His brows are pinched and his arms are raised in questioning. Looking around wildly Jimin screeches, “What is going on? Why was Yoongi even here? What is with the nickname!? Who said yes!?”

Seokjin lets out a groan and leans his head on Jungkook’s back, the child now flipping through the book looking at the different flowers.


As it turns out I forgot to update this story when I did on AO3... Whoops

I've been working on the next chapter for way longer than i should and then the realization hit me. Sorry for those of you that only use this website