Chapter 7: Birds of Paradise

A Second Chance

Birds of Paradise are used to symbolize excitement and wonderful anticipation.


 

 

Yoongi had been incessantly checking his phone the first few days after the wedding. However, as more and more time had passed he had started to lose hope. He was well aware that Seokjin had been on the fence to begin with. Whatever was causing him strife the day of the wedding had to be serious. If Yoongi was correct it probably had something to do with what had caused his sudden mood change on the day they went to the bakery.

Of course, he didn’t want to come of as pushy, but he had to get through to Seokjin. It seemed like half the time when he talked to him, Seokjin wasn’t even there. He was trapped somewhere in his mind, memories from his past most likely. Yoongi just wanted to help him move past that and focus on the present completely. From what he had seen of the real Seokjin he was a kind, smart and selfless man.

He had fully expected to never see Seokjin again. This was just like after the bakery. He had gone to all of Hoseok and Jimin’s wedding events in the hopes of spotting the broad shouldered beauty. However, it seems Seokjin had also thought about the fact that they were going to meet up.

So now unless he went to Just Flowers there was no hope in seeing Seokjin in passing. Which Yoongi was not that desperate. He could take a no. He was a grown man.

“Would you stop sighing.” Hoseok said, successfully frightening Yoongi.

The older man had just finished going through his messages to see he had none from an unknown sender. Currently he was sat at his computer, coming up with a beat that matched with a song he was producing for some groups debut.

“Don’t you knock?” Yoongi gripped at his pounding heart.

“Not since I got the code to your door.”

“You stalked me until you could figure out the full thing!”

“I didn’t say you gave it to me, now did I?”

“What did you want Hoseok?” Yoongi rolled his eyes and turned back to his computer screen.

“Just wanted to check on my mopey friend. I haven’t seen much of you since the wedding.” the dancer strolled up to the desk and sat right on it. His eyes swept over the mess that had accumulated, settling on a stack of books. With a quirk of his brow he spoke up again, “Did you knock somebody up? Is that the cause of your hermithood?”

“What? No! What the , Hoseok?” Yoongi looked so offended that Hoseok thought it akin to if he had slapped the shorter man.

“You have a small library of parenting books! Last I checked you were gay, but who knows what could happen after a drink or two.”

Yoongi gritted his teeth as he glared at his best friend. He loved Hoseok. He really did. However, he could be such a pain in the at times.

“It’s none of your business. Let’s try that.”

Hoseok snorted, “Oh what a mature response.”

“ off.”

“Could this maybe have something to do with a certain flower shop owner and his adorable child?”

Yoongi felt his face heat up and his heart stop. Had he really been that obvious? Well yeah. But he was hoping that Hoseok had been to wrapped up in his wedding to actually put the pieces together.

“No, and you-”

Yoongi’s phone had let out a loud ding that caused him to freeze before telling Hoseok off. The rapper had lunged for his phone, but Hoseok had been quicker. His brows furrowed as his eyes scanned over the phone.

“What? What does it say? Who is it from?”

“Were you perhaps waiting for a text from- Ow!”

Yoongi had jabbed Hoseok in the stomach and grabbed his phone back in the dancer’s moment of weakness. Now that he had his phone again Yoongi had swiped it open and just then another text came in.

 

Unknown [12:35 PM]

Halp

Unknown [12:36 PM]

Skwish plz

 

His face twisted in confusion as he reread the texts multiple times.

“Who would be asking you for help? You are like the last person I would call for. Personally, I could call for Jin-hyung long before-”

“Shut up.” Yoongi growled as he hit the call button.

As the phone connected and the dial tones started, Yoongi stood from his chair. He bit his lip as he paced back and forth. Hoseok had finally got the vibe of the room and fell silent. Staring at his anxious friend had caused him to start getting nervous.

“Squish-ssi!”

“Jungkook?” Hoseok let out a small gasp when the name fell from Yoongi’s lips.

“Squish-ssi, you gotta help Papa!” Yoongi’s heart dropped at Jungkook’s desperate tone.

“What’s wrong, buddy?” He was already in the process of shutting down his computer. Hoseok now had his ear pressed against the phone.

“Papa is sick.”

“Like really sick? Jungkook, maybe you should hang up and call an ambulance.”

“No! Squish-shi, I don’t wanna hang up! Come make Papa better!”

“I’m not a doctor. I’m on my way, but-”

“Hurry!”

With that the line went dead and Yoongi cursed. Hoseok looked sick to his stomach and Yoongi was sure that he looked the same, because he surely felt like he was going to throw up. Jungkook sounded like the world was ending around him.

“I’m going with you.”

Hoseok was on his heels as they exited the Genius Lab. Yoongi just grunted in response as they quickly made their way from the companies building and out to Yoongi’s car.

Yoongi’s mind was racing. What could possibly be wrong with Seokjin? Why had Jungkook asked him for help over everyone else that the kid knew? He just prayed that whatever was wrong with Seokjin was not that serious. That he could get there in time to save him.

“Yes, hello? Hi this is Jung Hoseok and I may need an ambulance.” Yoongi startles a little when Hoseok begins speaking into his own phone, “I just received a worrying call from my friends child and I think that something serious is going on.”

Hoseok’s choice of words got to Yoongi a little. He hadn’t been the one to receive a call. It was Yoongi. Jealousy boiled in the rappers stomach for a brief second, before he pushed that to the side. Now was not the time to get petty about a five year old. Especially one who may be losing his only parent.

Yoongi felt his heart drop again when he thought about Jungkook being all alone.

Even after five parenting books Yoongi still didn’t feel prepared to take care of Jungkook. There was no way that he could do as well as Seokjin. Wait. He wasn’t going to get Jungkook. Yoongi almost laughed to himself. He had no idea as to why his first thought was he was getting the kid. He was probably last on Seokjin’s list of people to take him. Most likely he was going to Seokjin’s family, and that didn’t set well with him.

Even though he wasn’t big on kids, Jungkook was special. Somehow the little ball of energy had wormed his way into his heart, right next to Seokjin.

“Yes, I’ll stay on the line. I am pulling up now so I can inform you better on the situation when I get inside.” Hoseok said as Yoongi put his car in park.

Without even realizing Yoongi had been driving without his seatbelt so he was out the door in a second. With the longest strides he could manage, Yoongi was twisting the handle to Just Flowers. However, it wouldn’t budge. It was then that he noticed the closed sign. Without many options, Yoongi began to pound on the door, “Jungkook! Seokjin! Open the door!”

Between bangs of his fist, Yoongi could hear the sounds of someone moving inside.

“Squish-shi!” Jungkook’s voice was muffled by the wooden door.

After some grunts of effort on Jungkook’s part the door clicked. Yoongi didn’t even wait for the child to get the door. He yanked it open himself, to reveal a disheveled Jungkook. The child's eyes were rimmed red and there were partially dried tear tracks running down his cheeks. With a balled fist, Jungkook wiped his snot. His hair was all over the place and he was without pants and only had one sock. His lips quivered as if he was about to start crying again.   

Instinctually Yoongi bent down and scooped the scared child up. As he entered the flower shop he began to slowly bounce and shush the child. “Where is your dad, Jungkook?” Yoongi peaked over the isles, expecting the worst.

“C-Couch.” Jungkook sniffled again and wiped snot on Yoongi’s shirt.

“We still haven’t found him. Please just wait a moment more.” Hoseok is sounded more panicked by the second.

Which is also how Yoongi was feeling. He could feel his blood running colder with each step he took up the stairs. Both times he had visited this store he had wondered about the upstairs. The first time thinking it was probably just storage, but the second knowing that Seokjin lived up there. Yoongi’s thoughts ran without him about how Seokjin chose to decorate his house.

Which when he entered the home it was pretty much what he was expecting. All the walls were a warm shade of brown, as was most of the furniture. Pictures hung all over and Jungkook’s toys were scattered on the floor.  However, Yoongi didn’t have to time to really take in his surroundings. As soon as he entered the home he was in the dining room, and from it he could see a hand over the arm of a couch.

“There he is!” Jungkook squeaked, pointing an accusatory finger towards his father.

The child's shrill words were followed by a groan from Seokjin, which served to relieve Yoongi. At least he was still breathing.

“Seokjin-hyung?” Yoongi called out hesitantly, not knowing if he could still speak so informally with the older man.

“Wha- Yoongi-ssi!” Seokjin had raised his head above the arm of the couch in surprise. His nose was red and had a tissue shoved in one side. Seokjin’s large eyes had been droopy at first, but as he took in his surroundings more the glassy orbs widened. His skin was sickly pale and that’s when it hit Yoongi.

He was just sick.

Not dying.

“Jungkook! What have I said about opening the door?”

“Don’t open it for people I no know.”

“Exactly.” Okay that hurt Yoongi a little. He wasn’t some robber.

“But Squish-ssi and Uncle Hoseok aren’t strangers.” And there goes the pain. Yoongi feels warmth spread in his chest when Jungkook leans his head on his shoulder.

“I also said don’t answer it without me there.”

“But Papa you are sick! I called Squish-ssi to take care of us.”

“I can take care of us, Jungkook.” Seokjin begins to shakily stand to his feet. Back at the doorway Hoseok is calling off the ambulance and apologizing profusely to who ever was on the other end of the call. So it was up to Yoongi to get Seokjin when the older started to stumble. His legs must have not wanted to cooperate with the ill man as it looks like they weren’t moving right.

With three quick strides Yoongi makes it to the falling man. He uses his hip that doesn’t have Jungkook on it to brace the older man against himself. With as much strength as he can muster Yoongi wraps his free arm around Seokjin’s waist, which was surprisingly small. Let out a small chuckle Yoongi says, “It’s okay. I’ve got you.”

“Well-uh it looks like there is no fire… So I’m just gonna like head out. Maybe visit my beautiful husband at his workplace.” Hoseok said, slowly walking backwards down the stairs.

“W-wait! You-” Seokjin is cut off by a fit of coughs. He crumples a little against Yoongi and the younger has to readjust his stance. While the flower shop owner collects himself the front door can be heard opening and closing.

With a grunt Yoongi moves the three of them to the couch. Once on the soft surface Jungkook leaps away from Yoongi and sits on the arm, as far as he can from the adults. He is beaming as Yoongi helps Seokjin get comfortable. Which to the sick man seems to be pressed against Yoongi.

His hand was half on Yoongi’s shoulder, half laid on his chest. Again Seokjin’s eyes are beginning to shut, his breath coming out in warm little puffs. Both of Seokjin’s arms wound around Yoongi as if he was a teddy bear.

“U-Um… Seokjin-hyung you should lean on the cushion.”

“Mmmm, but you are warm.” Seokjin takes a deep breath, “And you smell good.”

“Thanks. It’s uh- Pine.” Yoongi looks to Jungkook for help, but the kid is still just smiling. His big eyes sparkled with excitement. The couch shook a little with how hard Jungkook was bouncing his leg.

“You really should get going.” Seokjin said, nuzzling his nose into Yoongi’s increasingly warm neck.

“Are you sure about that.” Yoongi asked. He tried to move away, but Seokjin tightened his grip.

“‘M just gonna rest my eyes. You can let yourself out.” Seokjin yawns.

Having no idea what to do, Yoongi just stays as still as he possibly can. The only part of him that’s moving are his eyes. The tv was on the selection screen of some children's movie, replaying the same images of a prince saving a damsel in distress. The coffee table was covered in used tissues and a half empty bottle of cold medicine. Next to the tv was a bin with Jungkook’s name on it. It had toys loselying hanging onto the rim, leading Yoongi to believe that maybe the mess of toys was not a normal thing.

“My eyes are tired too, Squish-ssi.” Slowly Jungkook crawls back over to the rapper.

As the child begins to make himself comfortable at Yoongi’s other side he speaks up, “Woah. Your dad is sick so he can get away with this, but you seem to be perfectly fine.”

Yoongi wasn’t going to bring up the fact that he was dying, half out of excitement and half dread. It was nice to have Seokjin finally let himself relax around the rapper. However, on the other hand he was sick and most likely drugged up. There was no way of knowing if this was just out of pure drowsiness or actual desire to cuddle. It could even be a mix.

“Well Papa said that he got sick, because of me so I think I should cuddle with my Squish.” Jungkook murmurs, his hands forming small fists in Yoongi’s sweater.

“Your Squish?”

“Mhm, my Squish.” Jungkook flexes his hands, like a kitten against its mother.

Once again flushing Yoongi falls silent. He can’t say no to the kid when he was just a sweet talker. What was with the Kim’s and making Yoongi swoon.

This is how Yoongi found himself taking a nap with the flower shop owner and his son.

~&~

Yoongi was, thankfully, the first one to wake up. A stealthily as he could he got himself off the couch. The most difficult part was getting Seokjin’s arms out from around his chest. In order to not wake the made with a lack of warmth Yoongi maneuvered Jungkook to cuddle against his father. They shuffled around a little and got comfortable as Yoongi began to pick up Jungkook’s toys.

He was resolved in the fact that he was going to be here for the rest of the night at least and he didn’t want to deal with a minefield of sharp objects. After the toys came the tissues. In order to avoid germs Yoongi had to search around for a broom and dustpan. Once he was satisfied with the floor he moved to the kitchen.

When his phone buzzed he noticed that he had been asleep for two hours and had received multiple teasing texts from Hoseok. Having not known when Seokjin and Jungkook last ate Yoongi decided it be best to make them something. After rummaging around in the fridge he noticed that there was quite a bit of leftovers.

“Stir fry and porridge it is.” Yoongi grunted, pulling out everything he would need.

Just as he started cooking everything he heard another shuffle on the other side of the wall.

“S-Squish-ssi?” Jungkook called out, his voice quivering. His little feet pounded on the ground, Yoongi was so happy he got to the toys. . Before Yoongi could even form the child's name in his mouth, Jungkook turned the corner. His eyes were already beginning to water and his hands formed little fists at his sides.

“Hey.” Yoongi offered the distressed child a smile, but he just frowned deeper.

“I thought you left us.” Jungkook said, stomping his way up to Yoongi. He stopped just a few feet away, his bottom lip jutted out in a pout.

“I’m right here.”

“You weren’t there when I woke up.” Jungkook lightly hit Yoongi’s leg. Well it may not have been lightly for the kid, but he was only five.

“I have to make you and your papa dinner.”

“What about after?” Jungkook asked.

“What about after?” Yoongi shot back.

“Are you gonna leave?”

“I don’t live here, Jungkook.”

More tears threatened to fall and Jungkook’s bottom lip began quivering. In order to avoid the child having a melt down and waking his father, Yoongi quickly bent down and scooped Jungkook up. Right away Jungkook let a few tears leak out and his small hands fisted at Yoongi’s shirt.

“I can’t-”

“Who is going to take care of Papa and I?”

“Uhh-”

“You can’t leave Jungkook too!” With that wail Jungkook wrapped his arms tightly around Yoongi’s neck, almost choking the man.

The rapper cringed when Jungkook continued to let out loud sobs. Soothingly Yoongi moved his hands in circles on Jungkook’s back, in between making sure the food wouldn’t burn, and tried to shush him with soft coos. However, all of his efforts were in vain when he heard Seokjin shift on the couch.

“Jungkook? Baby, where are you?” Seokjin’s voice was scratchy from both sleep and being sick.

Just like Jungkook had, Seokjin rounded the corner with glassy eyes, but his were most likely due to his fever. The beautiful man raised a brow when he saw Yoongi, who was balancing a crying Jungkook on one hip and stirring his food with his only free hand. The cherry on top of the bizarre situation was that Yoongi was wearing his apron.

“What’s going?” Seokjin was once again in Yoongi’s space to get his child from him. Yoongi blamed the blush that spread on the heat of the stove.

“He just came in here and started crying.” Yoongi said.

“Hmmm… Are you hungry, Baby? Is that it?” Seokjin kissed the crying boys crown, but Jungkook just shook his head.

Yoongi had to split his brain processing between three things. First and foremost he wanted to make a good meal. Then he was paying attention to Seokjin and his son, hoping that the older man could get the child to stop crying. Finally, he was thinking about what had caused Jungkook to start crying.

He hadn’t spent all that much time with Jungkook, but somehow the child actually liked him. Which had never happened before with any kid. Although, usually he didn’t like kids either so it was a mutual thing. The thing that was causing him to think was how Jungkook had started crying. Who had left Jungkook? Because it always seemed like Seokjin was chasing after him.

“Then what is it? Tell me so Papa can make it better.” Seokjin still looked far to pale, and his arm was quivering under Jungkook’s weight.

“I can hold him and cook.” Yoongi offered when Seokjin had to readjust his son on his hip.

“That’s fine. You are doing to much for us already.” Seokjin only spares Yoongi a glance, before turning back to Jungkook, “You gotta use your words.”

“Squish-ssi.” Jungkook mumbled.

Yoongi was missing that second long look after receiving a full on glare from the older man,“What about him?”

“I thought he leaved us.”

“Oh.” Seokjin’s face immediately relaxed and his lips twisted into a frown.

With a quick turn, that almost had him falling over, Seokjin made his way back into the living room on the other side of the wall. Yoongi had to strain his ears just to catch Seokjin speaking. Unfortunately, Jungkook was mumbling far to lowly for the rapper to even hop to hear him.

“He’s not- Jungkookie, please. It’s hard on me too, but Tae will be back at the end of the week and- Jungkook!” Yet again the sounds of Jungkook stomping back into the kitchen could be heard. The child ran full force into Yoongi’s leg. His small arms tightly wrapped around the limb, fresh tears falling.

“Please don’t leave me, Squish-ssi! I promise I will be a good boy!”

Yoongi felt like he was being stabbed in the heart as he leaned down again to pick the child up. The desperation in Jungkook’s big eyes was making Yoongi want to break down himself. The food was close enough to finishing that Yoongi turned his full attention to Jungkook. He rocked the child gently and began to whisper to him, “I’m not going anywhere, kiddo. I’m just a call away.”

“No! That’s different! I want you here!” Jungkook punched his chest.

“Kookie, please.” Seokjin leaned against the wall, his voice cracking. Yoongi couldn’t tell if it was due to emotions or just his illness acting up.

“How about I spend the night. How does that sound? We can eat dinner and play before you gotta go to bed.” Yoongi offered, he was at the end of his rope. He had no idea how to handle distraught child other than giving into his demands. However, he couldn’t just move into Seokjin’s home when the older had been very clearly avoiding him.

Yoongi looked at Seokjin for permission, which the older just nodded to.

“Can you take me to school tomorrow?” Jungkook asked, sniffling and wiping snot on his fist.

“Uhh…”

“Can you, Yoongi-ssi? I was too sick to even get out of bed today and I don’t want him to miss two days.” Seokjin relaxed even more against the wall. As if he was surrendering completely.

“Back to Yoongi-ssi, huh? Yeah that should be fine, I don’t have anything going on.” That was a lie. He really needed to finish that song back at his studio, but he wasn’t going to let Seokjin know that. If the older even caught a whiff of the fact that Yoongi could leave then he was going to be out the door.

With that there was a lull in the conversation. Yoongi made quick work of the burners, and Seokjin slowly got plates and utensils out. While shedding the last of his tears, Jungkook leaned his head on Yoongi’s shoulder and watched him stir the food a few more times.

They were still silent as they put food on their plates. Originally Seokjin went for the stir fry, but Yoongi quickly made a bowl of porridge for him. With a whine the older accepted it and sat down at the table. Once Yoongi was satisfied with his and Jungkook’s plates he put the boy down in his own chair, which he stayed in mutely.

None of them wanted to be the first to break the silence, but out of pure awkwardness Yoongi decided to ask how everybody liked the food.

“It’s really good, Yoongi-ssi.”

“Just Yoongi.” the smile Seokjin had been sending Yoongi’s way faded. He quirked a brow at the challenge, but rather than argue he continued eating.

“Yummy.” Jungkook said. He was beginning to perk up again. Yoongi wondered if it was because he was getting some food in his system or just forgetting.

The rapper cleared his throat before speaking up, “So where is Taehyung?”

“He’s spending a week with his parents down in Busan. They are cool with him spending the rest of the summer here so long as they get their week.” Yoongi cringed when Seokjin rubbed a hand over his face. As if mentioning Taehyung caused him more stress.

“His parents? Aren’t they your parents as well.” Yoongi pried.

“Er- Yeah I guess they are?”

“You guess?”

“We aren’t blood related.”

“Oh really? With the way he acts around you guys I just assumed…”

“Well he is still family. Just not by blood.” Seokjin was yet again looking at something far past Yoongi. A memory that took place far from here.

“How did you- uhh- meet him?”

“Well he’s my-”

“Squish-ssi! I’m done with my food!” Jungkook lifts his plate and a few grains of rice slide off onto the table.

Yoongi wanted to scream. He was getting Seokjin to talk about his past and of course he had to be interrupted again. However, it was far harder to stay angry at Jungkook than it was with Jimin. The child was beaming at the rapper, his plate discarded on the table. His large, doe eyes were sparkling with excitement.

After a small nod from Seokjin, Yoongi abandoned his half full plate. He was out of his chair in a second, pulling Jungkook out of his own and lifting the child in the air. The chorus of giggles that Jungkook let out was like music to Yoongi’s ears. As were the far more quiet laughs that fell from Seokjin.

Yoongi throws himself to the floor of the living room as lightly as he can while keeping Jungkook aloft. The child begins to squirm in his hold, so Yoongi lets him go and Jungkook lands square on his stomach. As rapper gasps for air, Jungkook begins to pull out the toys that Yoongi had put away not all that long ago.

“Okay so you are gonna be Thanos and I get to be Ironman!” Jungkook hold out the purple alien to Yoongi.

“Really? I think of myself more of a Thor.”

Yoongi flushes a little when he hears Seokjin snort.

“No! Someone’s gotta be the bad guy! You can be Thor next time.” Jungkook begins imitating the sounds of Ironman’s energy beams.

“Yeah. Next time.” Yoongi smiles at the prospect of spending more time with the father and son. Both of them are easy to be around. Yoongi can let himself relax in their presence, not worrying about normal social cues.

It isn’t long into their play fighting that Jungkook starts letting out some large yawns. It's after the child rubs his eyes with the Hulk for the third time that Yoongi announces that it’s time for bed. The sound of running water in the kitchen let's Yoongi know what Seokjin is up to.

“I’m not sleepy, Squish-ssi.”

“Sure you aren’t, Kiddo.”

Yoongi easily pries the green hero out of Jungkook’s hand and places it back in the basket. As Jungkook lets out another yawn, the rapper scoops him up. The child lets out a whine and tries to squirm his way out of Yoongi’s arms. However, as they make their way down the hallway Jungkook struggles less and less. He fists Yoongi’s hoodie with one hand and the other thumb finds its way to his mouth.

After accidentally peeking into Seokjin’s room, Yoongi finds Jungkook’s. Posters of superheroes litter the walls, Ironman starring in most of them. Even the kids sheets are Ironman themed. On his bedside table is a picture of Seokjin and Jungkook. It looked like it was from the second time that Yoongi had met the flower shop owner.

Seokjin was wearing those round spectacles that made Yoongi’s mouth feel dry. The older man was pressing a kiss to Jungkook’s cheek and the child looked like he was mid laugh. They were surrounded by a random assortment of colors provided by flowers.

Yoongi had been staring at the picture as Jungkook crawled under the covers. So he was interrupted when his sleeve was tugged.

“Squish-ssi, can I get a goodnight kiss.”

“Yeah, let me go get your dad.” Yoongi began to get up from the bed, but the grip tightened on his sleeve.

“No… From you.”

“Oh… Uhh… Yeah, sure.” Yet again Yoongi had no idea how to proceed from here. The books didn’t talk about this! He pressed his lips together and quickly bent down to leave a peck on Jungkook’s forehead that was hidden behind his bangs.

“Goodnight, Jungkook.” Yoongi said softly and Jungkook hummed back.

The rapper took this as a sign to leave so he began to get up.

“Wait! You gotta stay till I fall asleep.” Jungkook groans, not letting up on his tight grip of the black hoodie.

“Oh. Okay.” Yoongi settles back onto the bed. He was sitting against the headboard, his head actually resting on the wall. Jungkook shifts and begins to cuddle up to Yoongi’s side.

“Thank you, Squish-ssi.”

“You know that you can call me Yoongi, right?”

“Hmmm.” Jungkook looks up at the rapper for a second thinking about it and shakes his head, “I got a better name.”

“Oh yeah? What is it?”

“I’m gonna call you dad.”

Immediately, Yoongi feels both over the moon and a large sense of dread. All the books he had read had yet again not told him what to do in this situation. He was way out of his depth when it came to this kind of thing. However, at the same time he was so happy that he was so easily accepted by the child. Never in his life had someone taken a shine to him this easily. Well other than Hoseok, but Yoongi thinks that it was the chase that kept him around.

“Don’t say that around your Papa and it’s a deal.” Yoongi finds himself saying. He’s not even sure where it’s coming from. Is he even ready to be someone's father? If he had to have a kid he would like them to be like Jungkook.

“Deal.” Jungkook smiles and snuggles back up to the older.

Yoongi’s mind is racing as he waits for Jungkook to actually fall asleep. He doesn’t really know how much time passes. It isn’t until Seokjin pops his head in the door that Yoongi is broke from running that moment in his head over and over again.

Seokjin tilts his head to signal that Yoongi should leave, which he does. As gently as he can he separates himself with Jungkook. The child begins to stir so Yoongi snatches up a Thor stuffed figure and quickly hands it to him. With an again content smile on his face, Jungkook turns over and lets out a small snore.

“Thanks for staying with him. He has trouble falling asleep by himself, but I’ve been trying to break him out of the habit of sleeping in my bed.” Seokjin whispers once he closes the door behind the rapper.

“It’s no problem. How long has that been going on?”

“The past three years really. At first I was more than okay with him sleeping in my room, but I read that it’s not good for kids to do that.” Seokjin sighed as he practically threw himself onto the sofa.

“Did he do that as a baby?” Yoongi takes to leaning against the wall that the sofa is pushed against.

“I wouldn’t know. I adopted him when he was around two.”

“Oh, really? I thought- well I thought that he was your biological son. You could be related.”

“We get that a lot.” Seokjin lets out a small laugh.

A small silence falls between them so Yoongi decides to speak up, “Well I guess I should get going.”

“Stay!” Seokjin yells. He reaches a hand out to Yoongi, but is pulled back before they can meet.

“I don’t want to impose. I already came here without your permission.”

“You wouldn’t be a bother. Plus you already told Jungkook you would take him in the morning. It would be easier if you just spend the night here.” Seokjin starts to pick lint off the couch, avoiding eye contact with Yoongi.

“Err, if you insist. I guess it would be-”

“Plus… Um, I feel more comfortable with you here.” Seokjin finally looks up at Yoongi and the rapper swears his heart almost stops. His brown eyes are shining with so many unreadable emotions. The flush that is spread on his cheeks gets just a bit deeper.

“Is that so?” Yoongi can’t help the smug smile that he produces.

“Don’t ruin it. You’ve been a big help tonight.” Seokjin looks away again. He folds his arms over his chest, looking like a pouting Jungkook.

“I would do it again.” Yoongi says, sitting down next to the older man.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. With the way Jungkook was talking I thought something really bad had happened to you.” Seokjin locks up next to him, “For a brief second… Just a second I thought that I was going to have to raise him.”

Seokjin gasps, “Oh?”

“Yeah I guess he’s really made an impression on me already.” Yoongi let out a small laugh.

Unbeknownst to him a single tear falls down Seokjin’s cheek, but the older man quickly wipes it away.

“You’ve made an impression on him as well. He hasn’t stopped talking about you since the wedding. He’s really disappointed that you two never got dance together.”

Yoongi lets out another laugh at the thought. Jungkook must have pouted so much after Yoongi had left. When Seokjin had all but rejected him, Yoongi hadn’t been in much of a party mood so he had decided to leave. Knowing that Seokjin didn’t get out all that often he didn’t want to impose on the older. So after saying congratulations one last time to the married couple, Yoongi left.

“What about you?” the rapper asked vaguely.

“What about me?”

“Have I made an impression on you?”

“You have.”

Yoongi soaks up the words. It feels nice to have Seokjin finally admit that their feelings for each other are even slightly on the same level. However, then he begins to think about how much time has passed since the wedding. In a second of pettiness words come out of his mouth before he can really think better of it, “Then why did you never call me?”

Seokjin goes rigid next to him for a moment, but then relaxes. After scooching a bit closer to Yoongi, to the point that their arms are brushing now, he says, “I was scared at first. Then far too embarrassed, because so much time had passed.”

“Scared of what?”

“Of-Well of getting my heart broken.”

“I don’t want to break your heart, hyung.”

Seokjin looks at Yoongi with a blank expression for a moment before smiling,“I have to look after my son. He is my top priority and I’m all he’s got.”

“You don’t have to be by yourself.”

Both of them are leaning more and more. Yoongi takes in the little details of Seokjin’s face as he gets closer. Seokjin pink tongue darts out briefly and makes his plump lips shine. His brown eyes radiate warmth, but are hidden after Seokjin blinks them closed. It’s when Yoongi can actually feel a puff of Seokjin’s warm breath fan over his face that the older pulls back with a quiet, “Wait.”

Yoongi lets himself fall back and like a petulant child a whine sounds in his throat. The smell of mint still filling his nostrils. His display causes Seokjin to let out a giggle, which has Yoongi flushing. The older man leans back against the other arm of the couch, bringing his legs up to his chest.

“I’m sick so that probably isn’t the smartest thing to do.”

“Yeah-No-Yeah. You are right.”

“Of course I am. I’m always right.” Seokjin let’s another laugh, this one sounding far more squeaky. Yoongi can’t help but smiling along. Once the laughter subsides Seokjin speaks up again, “Just so you know I’ve been trying to call you for like a week now.”

“What!?” Yoongi pulls his phone from his pocket, beginning to scroll through his notifications, “Have I just missed it? My phone never-”

“I’ve had your number pulled up and saved. It’s how Jungkook called you. I tried to text a few times, but I couldn’t find the right words, and when I tried to call my finger would just hover over the button.”

“A simple ‘Hi’ would have sufficed.” Yoongi laughs as he puts his phone back.

“Yah! Don’t laugh, it’s embarrassing.” Seokjin kicks out his foot and pushes Yoongi. Which causes the younger man to let out a squawk of protest as he’s shoves against his arm of the couch. However, Yoongi can’t stay mad for long because Seokjin is yet again laughing and it’s making the rapper feel all warm and fuzzy. However, the laughter is followed by a few pants and Yoongi spots a bead of sweat dripping down Seokjin’s forehead.

“I should get some rest. Let me grab you some blankets and a pillow.” the older is up from the couch and down the hall before Yoongi can even speak up.

He is left alone on the couch with his thoughts. Yet again he found himself saying he was ready to take on a child, but was he really? Sure he read those books and everything seemed good right now, but what if something very serious happened. He had only been alone around the child for the first time today and he agreed to everything Jungkook wanted. Yoongi didn’t really have a stern bone in his body. He was far to passive. Could he actually be stern with Jungkook when he needed or would he be too awkward to tell him no?

“Sorry if the couch isn’t as comfortable as your bed at home. Normally I would ask Taehyung if it was okay for you to sleep in his, but he isn’t responding to my texts.” The panic in Seokjin’s eyes could be seen from a mile away.

“The couch is fine. I can sleep anywhere.” Yoongi wrongly assumes as to what is causing Seokjin to worry. The rapper lets out a breathy laugh, hoping to lighten the situation.

“Oh… Okay, well goodnight.”

“See you in the morning.” Yoongi smiles, which Seokjin returns.

“See you then.”

In a flash, Seokjin bends down and presses his lips to Yoongi’s cheek. The rapper presses a cold palm to his now increasingly warm face, directly on the slightly wet spot. His body had reacted before his brain could even register what happened. So once everything actually processes, Yoongi breaks out into a large grin.

He wraps himself up in the quilt given to him and lays down on the couch. Even though it was far from the comfort of his real bed, Yoongi didn’t even care. He felt warm from head to toe, comforted by the small sign of affection.

That night Yoongi falls asleep with a large smile on his face.


Progress!