Chapter 3: Purple Orchid

A Second Chance

Purple Orchid: Used to symbolize admiration and respect. 


 

It had been over a month since Yoongi had been to Just Flowers, but he couldn’t get the strange, handsome man out of his mind. His name tag had read ‘Seokjin’ and if that isn’t the most beautiful sounding name. It was fitting with the man’s appearance. His broad shoulders tapered off to a small waist, that had been accentuated by the apron he had been wearing. Yoongi had a hard time not just staring at the taller man’s plush lips, and if he looked into his soft brown eyes for to long he felt like he was going to get lost in them.

Being around the flower shop worker turned Yoongi into a little kid with a crush. Forming a cohesive sentence was a real challenge. Catching anything Seokjin had said was even harder with all the blood that had rushed yo Yoongi’s thankfully hidden ears. Yoongi wasn’t even sure if Seokjin had been real at first, he was far to angelic. When the taller had disappeared into the back Yoongi froze, trying to decide if all of that had really happened.    

Just as Yoongi had been able to introduce himself the other had disappeared. Not into thin air, but from Yoongi. The way that Seokjin’s eyebrows had furrowed, Yoongi could tell that whatever was happening on the other side of the line was seriously affecting him. He surprised himself with how much concern pricked in his own chest at the distressed look in Seokjin’s eyes. Before he could even offer to help the other man, he had disappeared and his coworker, Taehyung, had taken his place.

Once he had been rung up and received his flowers Yoongi had gone home. That night he had delivered the flowers to his friend, Jimin, as an early birthday present. The excitable man had been overjoyed at the beautiful plants. Jimin had shown so much enthusiasm that his boyfriend, Hoseok, had jokingly warned Yoongi to back off.

Yoongi’s encounter with the ethereal flower shop owner had been seriously affecting his life. A lot of the songs he had been writing recently were romantic. Some so cheesy that after the lyrics had been scribbled on the page, Yoongi balled up the paper and threw them in the trash. His coworkers has also noticed this trend in his recent music and one even went so far as to ask if Yoongi had fallen in love. Which he hasn’t! Thank you very much.

Not only that, but multiple times in the past month Yoongi had found himself driving towards Just Flowers. Once time he had even made it up to the door, but as soon as he had seen Taehyung he chickened out and ran back to his car. It had gotten so bad that Yoongi had started to go out of his way when going to work just to drive past the flower shop.

That’s why when he was sitting in the back seat of Hoseok’s car he recognized where he was being taken.

The same night that Yoongi had given Jimin the Alstroemeria, Hoseok had proposed to the smaller man. The night had been filled with celebration and now, a month later, Yoongi was being dragged along as the couple preformed errands for their wedding. Yoongi really did see the point in him tagging along, but Hoseok had said something about the best man needing to be there. Whatever the dancer had been talking about had gone over Yoongi’s head, he had been woken up far too early on his day off.

“Here we are!” Jimin shouted, practically kicking his door open. The teacher had been in the doors of the flower shop before Yoongi had even gotten out of the car. He had been dragging his feet until Hoseok had literally started dragging him.

The scene that greeted Yoongi when he walked in was both comical and heartwarming. Taehyung was being pulled down into a hug by Jimin. The flower shop worker was a good few inches taller than Jimin so he was being bent at an awkward angle. Jimin was cooing and the long, freshly brown locks that Taehyung was sporting.

“It’s been far to long Tae! You really need to stop being a stranger and come visit me. I only hear how you are doing through Seokjin-hyung.” At the mention of Seokjin, Yoongi perked up a little.

Taehyung let out a groan before whining, his deep voice sounding oddly childlike, “You know I’m attending the university now. I don’t have time to hang out with a bunch of old people right- Ow!”

Jimin had started swatting Taehyung and shouting about how disrespectful he was. Yoongi took this as his cue to disappear while all the others had been distracted. He had begun roaming the many rows of flowers. Yoongi was stopping every so often to take in the fresh smell, particularly enjoying that of the orchids on display. Yoongi would be lying if said that he wasn’t disappointed that Seokjin appeared to not be at the store again. Just the thought of seeing Seokjin caused Yoongi’s pulse to speed up.

Even though it was a simple meeting, it really stuck in Yoongi’s mind. Even surrounded by flowers Seokjin was the prettiest thing in the store. It had been the late afternoon when they had met and the way the orange sun had shone through the window made Seokjin look angelic. Yet again Yoongi begins to doubt that Seokjin was real. He was far to ethereal to be a real human.

It was all really silly when Yoongi thought about it. He had only talked to the guy for all of five minutes, and most of that Seokjin whispered to himself like a madman. Yoongi was far too invested in the handsome man from a simple attraction. So what if Yoongi wanted to put his hands on Seokjin’s waist to see just tiny it really was? Who cares that Yoongi wants to see just how soft and plush his lips were? He knows he certainly doesn’t! Yoongi was a sane individual and could control himself around beautiful people!

“Excuse me.” Yoongi is broken out of his Seokjin fantasy by a small voice.

Looking down Yoongi found the source of the voice. A child was staring up at him only a few feet away with wide, glassy eyes. He wore a pair of overalls and a white, long sleeved shirt that had black stripes. His hair had been slicked back and parted, except for a few strands that fell on his forehead. He was wearing a pair of glasses that looked far too large for a child that young. It was proven even further when the glasses started to slide down his cute, little nose and he used his closed fist to push them back up.

“Hey… Um, kiddo.” Yoongi curses himself for not being better with kids. He tried to steer clear of them at all costs. In all honesty he was just scared that they were going to get hurt or cause some trouble and then he would get blamed. He just didn’t know how to deal with little humans.

Rather than saying hello back the child stretched his arms upwards, towards Yoongi. This only served to confuse Yoongi even further. Where did this child even come from?

“Where is your mommy and daddy?” Yoongi puts his hands on his knees and bends down, he’s still a little taller than the child at this point.

“Up.” Is all he gets in response.

“What?”

“Up.”

“Look kid-”

“I want up!” The kid suddenly yells and stomps his foot. His little eyebrows at furrowed and his bottom lip juts out into a pout.

“Okay! Just don’t yell again, please.” he pleads in a hushed whisper.

Yoongi quickly grabs the kid by his ribs, not sure if the kid could get hurt this way, and hoists him into the air. Yoongi lets out a grunt when he realizes that the kid is heavier than he looked. Rather than holding all of this kids weight with his arms, he settles the child partially on his hip.

“So where is your mommy-”

“I don’t have one.” the child is no longer pouting, just staring at Yoongi with a surprising intensity.

“Pardon?”

“Squish.” The child mumbles as he raises both of his hands to Yoongi’s cheeks and pushes them together. Of course, Yoongi frowns at this, but the strange child lets out a trill of laughter. The giggles are so cute that Yoongi can’t help but smile, which only causes the child to laugh more at the squished lips. The kid is laughing so hard that the glasses are slipping again.

“Enough fun, where is your dad?” Yoongi asks, letting out a laugh.

“I’m hiding from him.” A small pout finds its way back onto the child's face.

“Oh? Why?”

“He wants to take my picture with flowers.” Yoongi doesn’t remember seeing anyone else in the shop. Who was this irresponsible father trying to take his kids picture in the flower store and then losing him? The question drifts from his mind as the strange kid begins kneading his cheeks like dough.

“It’s not good to run from you father.” Yoongi tries to make his voice sound stern, but it comes off more as uncomfortable.

“Papa says the same thing. Do you know him?” The child tilts his head, the escaped bangs and round glasses falling with him.

“I can’t say that I-”

“Oh my god! Jungkook, what have I told you about running away?” Yoongi looks down the aisle to see the man he’s been thinking about for the past month. Seokjin had a hand on his heart and his plush lips were parted as he gasped for air. His tan turtleneck was bunched up with how tightly he clutched at it. Suddenly, Yoongi felt like he needed to be gasping for air as well.

“Don’t.” The kid, Jungkook apparently, turned his attention to the flower shop owner.

“Exactly!” Suddenly Seokjin was up in Yoongi’s personal bubble. The taller man easily maneuvered his child out of Yoongi’s gasp. Small sounds of protest could be heard from Jungkook, but they were muffled by the thick sweater that Seokjin was wearing. With his son back in his grasp, Seokjin turned to Yoongi to address him, “I’m so sorry if he’s been- Oh hey! I remember you!”

Yoongi choked on the gasp that forced its way out of him. This angelic being remembered him!? Even when he had been hiding most of his face?

“Are you okay, Yoongi-shi?” He did remember him! How?

Seokjin lowered himself to look at Yoongi with concern, when the shorter man just nodded and pounded at his chest he continued speaking, “How did your just friend like the flowers? I hope they lasted a long time!”

“Yeah, he did. So much so that umm... I think he plans on using your store for his wedding.”

“Oh really? Love must be in the air, I have some friends that plan on using my wares.” Seokjin lets out a hearty laugh, but the smile that he’s sporting doesn’t quite reach his eyes. Jungkook stirs a little and Seokjin turns his attention back to the child. With a click of his tongue Seokjin begins speaking again, “What did I tell you about stealing Papa’s glasses? You are going to mess up your eyes.”

“I like them.”

“So do I, so you shouldn’t take them from me.” Seokjin lets out another laugh when the child just nods, this time it sounded more genuine.

The flower shop owner puts the glasses back on and Yoongi feels short of breath again. He looks even better with the round spectacles! How is it that even fair?

Seokjin wets his lips before speaking again and Yoongi almost doesn’t hear the words as he focuses on how shiny the pink lips look, “I’m a little surprised that Jungkook wasn’t kicking and screaming when you picked him up.”

“It would be shocking if he did, since he asked me to and all.”

Seokjin blinks rapidly, clearly surprised. He looks down at the tuft of black hair and furrows his brow. Yoongi can’t help but think about how much the two look alike.

“Really? He’s normally so shy around strangers that he hides from them.” Seokjin narrows his eyes, “Did you offer him sweets or something?”

“...No? He just came up to me and asked for me to pick him up and then he started to poke at my face.” Yoongi feels himself flush under the accusatory stare of Seokjin.

“They are squishy, Papa.” Jungkook mumbles, his little fingers gripping onto Seokjin’s sweater.

“Is that so?” Seokjin lets out another laugh. His eyes crinkled when he he let out the loud laughs, and they were focused on Yoongi. Even though he seemed to be busy with what Jungkook had said, he was searching for something. Yoongi wasn’t sure what it was, but the attention was causing him to flush.

Yoongi needs the taller man to stop laughing, because it is doing strange things to him. The squeaky laugh makes his stomach feel like it’s lifting up. It’s almost like Seokjin is the air right out from Yoongi’s lungs as he gasps for air from his own giggles.

“You should poke them, Papa.” Jungkook mumbles.

“Maybe some other time. I’m sure you touched Yoongi-shi’s face enough for the both of us.” Seokjin says.

Its then that Yoongi notices that Jungkook has started squirming less and less. Seokjin had been lightly bouncing for a while now and letting his fingers lightly card through the child’s hair. Even with a customer in front of him, ninety five percent of Seokjin’s attention was on Jungkook. Yoongi suddenly felt like he was intruding and slowly began to creep backwards, which of course didn’t escape Jin’s five percent of attention.

“Jungkook skipped his nap today. I’ll go put him in bed and I will be back down in a little. How about you tell your friend to meet me up front. Taehyung should already be up there, if he’s not hiding in the back.”

“S-Sounds good.”

Yoongi thought he was in the clear, until he hears Seokjin’s soft voice again, “And Yoongi-shi?”

“Yeah?” Yoongi says just a bit to loud, causing Jungkook to stir a little.

“I’m glad to see you again.” The small smile that graces Seokjin’s face has Yoongi involuntarily gulping.

“S-Same.”

With that Seokjin turns on his heel and disappears among the flowers. After rubbing his eyes and blinking a few times Yoongi still has trouble deciding if that was all real. The sensations that ran through his body definitely felt real. The slight sting in his cheeks felt very real as well. Which meant that Seokjin, and his son Jungkook, were indeed real! Following that logic that also meant that Seokjin somehow remembered him a month later and he was happy to see him again!

Wait. Why was he happy that Yoongi was there? It was just because he was hoping to sell Yoongi some more flowers, right? Maybe he was saying that he was happy that Yoongi brought his friends for the wedding. That had to be it! If not then why else would he be happy to see Yoongi?

That isn’t even important. What was really plaguing Yoongi’s thoughts was where Jungkook's other parent was. The child had said that he didn’t have a mother, but could he have another father? One thing's for sure, Seokjin was definitely one, if not the only, parent that child had. Usually just the thought of being around a kid was enough to make Yoongi run. One time, his date had gotten a call from her babysitter and after he learned that Yoongi couldn’t get out of there quick enough. However, seeing Seokjin being so gentle with Jungkook was repelling the shorter man. Quite the opposite really.   

“Oh! There you are Yoongi! Meet Taehyung!” Jimin called when he spotted Yoongi creep out from behind a row of flowers.

“We’ve met.”

“We have?” Taehyung tilts his head as he tries to ponder when their paths had crossed.

“You’ve sold me flowers…” This only proves Yoongi right that it was odd that Seokjin had remembered him!

“I sell lots of people flowers, sorry.” Exactly!

“Doesn’t hurt my feelings any.” Yoongi grumbles, causing Jimin to pointedly glare at him. Yoongi just looks back, unamused.

“Anyways where is Jin-Hyung? I told him we would be here at six.” Hoseok cuts through the silence that had briefly fallen on the group. The ‘Jin-Hyung’ caused Yoongi to perk up. How familiar was Hoseok with the handsome man? Why had he never been brought up before?

“He is putting Jungkook to bed. He said he would be down in a little.” The three shocked faces Yoongi sees before him has him biting his cheek to keep from laughing out loud.

Jimin’s eyebrows disappear behind his bangs as they shoot up, his mouth falling open in an ‘o’ shape. Hoseok freezes when he hears the child's name, he looks like he was just about to say something else. Finally, Taehyung had narrowed his eyes at Yoongi and the music producer felt like he was under Seokjin’s scrutinizing gaze again. The flower shop worker opens his mouth to speak, but Jimin cuts him off.

“You know Seokjin-Hyung? And you’ve met Jungkook?”

“Like I said, I’ve bought flowers from here before. This is where I got your birthday present, Jimin.”

“But like, you’ve like met Jungkook? To where you know his name? Not just seen him right?” Hoseok asks.

“Yeah? He came up to me and-”

“Jiminie!” Yoongi is cut of by the shrill cry of Seokjin. A rush of wind blew past Yoongi and in the blink of an eye Seokjin was tightly hugging Jimin. Who returned it with just as much enthusiasm. Hoseok let out a little whine, surprising Yoongi, and Jin turned his attention to the dancer.

Well that explained the familiarity. They knew each other. It also explains the coincidence of both Yoongi and Jin having friends that were getting married at the same time. It was the same couple.

The whole time that the three were being loud, Taehyung didn’t take his eyes off of Yoongi. It was only just barely, but the music producer noticed the glare out of the corner of his eye. He tried his best to ignore it, but it was slightly difficult. The college student looked downright murderous. It was like whiplash to see him go from the jovial, kid that was screaming with Jimin not a half an hour ago to this intimidating macho man.  

Yoongi flinched when Taehyung began moving towards him. However, he didn’t want to seem like some spineless kid in front of someone who had to be more than five years his junior. So Yoongi straightened out his back and puffed out his chest slightly, hoping to intimidate Taehyung back.

“Hey.” Taehyung’s already deep voice sounded even grovilier when he whispered to Yoongi.

“Hmm?” Yoongi prayed that he sounded cool and nonchalant.

“I want you to listen to me carefully.” While Taehyung said this Jimin and Seokjin were yelling about how exciting the wedding was going to be, “Seokjin has done a lot to take care of me over the past few years. He and Jungkook are family to me.”

“Okay…”

“Jungkook doesn’t take to strangers easily so if you do anything-”

“Woah dude!” Yoongi raises his hands in surrender, finally looking the younger in the eyes, “Like I said, Jungkook came up to me. He started talking to me. I don’t know who you think I am, but you are wrong.”

“He talked to you?” Taehyung furrows his brow again.

“Yeah and then Seokjin came and got him. I’m not trying to hurt your family, dude.”

“Oh okay… Well good.” Again appeared the puppy-like young adult, “Well just for future reference, if you do anything against either Seokjin or Jungkook you will have to suffer my wrath.”

“Uhhh… I’ll keep that in mind.  Thanks.” And with that Taehyung rejoined the others and began to yell along with them. Leaving Yoongi far more confused than when he had originally stepped through the threshold of Just Flowers. Who was Seokjin, and why was Taehyung so viciously protective?


That was a fairly quick update, woot~

More Seokjin and Jungkook next chapter!