Chapter 1 - Meeting You

Falling for You

It was a cold morning.  The streets were still lighting up the dark sky.  Noises of the distant city can be heard from the supposed-quiet streets.  Today was like any other day.  First comes Monday, then Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday; the two days you do your taxes: Saturday and Sunday.  What's today though?  It's Wednesday, 6am.  Location?  Somewhere in Daejeon, South Korea. 

  The dark sky turned light as it turned to 9am.  The sound of an office rang in everyone's ear: phones, printers, talking, and typing.  It was tiring, it was horrid, and it was Joshua Hong's job.  Joshua is a boy who grew up in America.  He finished his two-year degree in college, and moved to South Korea.  Because of his lack of education, he was forced to pick a small job.  The office he works at produces Seoul's finest Samsung software.  The job Joshua has needed little to no training.  His job is to simply inform people of due dates and appointments.  He has attended some meetings, but not important ones.

  Time goes too quickly, in Joshua's opinion.  He hates work, but getting things done means that he's getting closer to being fired or he might not pay his bills on time.  He worries so much.  How is his family doing?  They haven't responded to him.  He looks at the time for the first time after starting work.  It read 12pm.  He sighed and stood up. 

"I'm going to lunch."  Joshua called to the other workers near him.

"Oh, Hong, I almost forgot to tell you.  The bread shop where you eat at has moved to Incheon."  A man, holding a microphone that is attached to his ear, said.

  Joshua looked down.  That place had became his place of lunch and dinner.  Cheap bread that tasted so good. 

  He walked out of the building and looked from side to side.  He turned right, heading the opposite way of his apartment.  He walked for nearly five minutes before he saw a little buidling.  He looked at the cute sign that said: "Warm-Milk Café".   He shrugged.  Might as well give it a try.

  He opened the door, making a silent bell ring.  No one was in the café, meaning costumers.  Though, the person at the counter is missing too.  He looked around.  He made sure he didn't come in on the off hours.  But then he noticed, the café is open from 6am - 7pm.  No lunch or dinner break.  He sat down at the counter and looked around. 

  Cute, little bunny decorations were everywhere.  It looked like a little girl's coffee house.

  Five minutes pass by, and no one is there at the counter.  Joshua looked down at the counter.  He was about to stand up.  He then heard someone in the back drop something. 

"Uh oh!  Gonna have to clean that up~"  A voice was heard "Good thing it wasn't too much~"  the voice laughed.

  Joshua walked around the corner and into the back.  He saw a tall boy cleaning up coffee grounds.  "Oh, where did I put the dustpan?"  Joshua saw that the boy was looking from side to side.  He noticed the dust pan was behind the cleaning boy.  Joshua picked the pan up, and handed it to the other.

"Oh?"  The boy looked at the dust pan and then looked up at the person holding it.

  Joshua noticed a brief moment of him having red cheeks.  "This is what you're looking for?"  Joshua asked.

"Oh... Yes, thank you."  The boy took the dust pan.

  This boy had brown hair that his bangs part to the side.  His forehead shows a tiny bit, but his bangs cover the sides.  He's about the same height as Joshua.  He's also well kept in the clothes department.  One thing Joshua noticed was something in his eyes.  Something that makes him want to look more, but he noticed the boy was finished cleaning. 

"I'm sorry you had to see that."  The boy stated, putting the dust pan and broom away.  "You haven't been waiting too long, have you?"  He asked.

"N-no, I just got here a bit ago."  Joshua replied.

  Joshua went back to the counter and sat down.  Still, no one was around.  "Where is everyone?"  Joshua asked casually.

"Business slows down at lunch and dinner time.  That's why I haven't been around."  The boy stated.

"So.. What's your name?"  The boy asked, taking out a mug from the cupboard below.

"Hong... Joshua Hong."  Joshua almost stuttered.

  The boy smiled.  "A Chinese name, huh?"  The boy asked, preparing the coffee pot.  "I'm Yoon Jeonghan, founder of Warm-Milk Café."  The boy stated his name, extending his arm out with his hand ready to shake the other's.

  Joshua shook back, giving an honest smile.  "Not Chinese..."  Joshua corrected.  Jeonghan gave an 'oh' face with a nod.

"Jeonghan, are you older than I am?"  Joshua asked, looking briefly at the drink menu.

"Let's not worry about formalities."  Jeonghan stated, resting his cheeks on his fists.  His elbows are on the counter.

"Iced Americano, please."  Joshua ordered.

  Jeonghan nodded and went to the back to grab out the container of coffee grounds he had dropped earlier.  He mixed the grounds up and put it in the maker.  "You're here for lunch, why are you just having coffee?"  Jeonghan laughed.

"Well, I was caught off guard when my favorite bread shop moved to Incheon."

  Jeonghan looked up at Joshua.  He had a slight understanding look.  "A classmate from high school runs that shop...  I'm going to miss him."  Jeonghan said, handing Joshua the freshly brewed coffee.

"So, where do you work, Mr. Hong?"  Jeonghan asked as he cleaned up around the coffee maker.

"You know Samsung InterCorp that is about five minutes away?"  Joshua asked, receiving a nod.

"I know someone who works there.  Choi Seungcheol, right?"  Jeonghan said as he pulled up a stool to sit on front of him.

  Choi Seungcheol?  Well, of course Joshua knows about him.  Doesn't know him personally.  "Yeah.. He's kinda my boss... How do you know him?"  Joshua asked before sipping the coffee.

  Jeonghan giggled, but ceased it.  He stopped as if he recalled a bad memory.  "I dated him."  Jeonghan looked down at the counter with a depressed look.  "You should know him, how much of a jerk he is."  Jeonghan gave a fake teeth smile down at his nails.



"What did he do to you?"  Joshua asked.


 


So?  How was chapter one?  For the future, there are curse words, but nothing to put it the whole story on rated M.
Comments are always loved~  Thank you all so very much for reading and subscribing!   I received 10 subscribers only an hour after posting, and five over night.  I'm deeply honored!

Thank you~