Tea afternoons

Writings on the walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun didn’t imagine it would be this easy to get used to his new life; it's been a month and even when he still feels a little out of place, he’s beginning to come to terms with this new chapter on his book. Although, he has to admit that the presence of the two youngest of the Park family and his puppy had made it so much easier, especially Sooyoung; the young princess is a chatter box, always rambling over something but never missing the elegance that characterizes her. Sooyoung always has something in her mind and she always tries to include Baekhyun, ask for his opinion or simply wanting to keep him informed.

Jongin is different, he's quieter but a lot more active; he prefers to spend his time on the outside, doing any kind of sport, sometimes holding small soccer games with some of the servants' older kids on the gardens and Baekhyun is always invited. The prince loves to sit and watch, cheer and sometimes join the games as well.

Things with his future husband though, have change only in the slightest. They do talk more with each other, if only, just a little, but it’s still progress; their politeness towards the other uncharacteristical of a soon-to-be-wedded couple; all because Baekhyun's still afraid, convinced that Chanyeol's only goal is the union of both nations. The prince tells himself that he can live with that, as long as he keeps his limits and boundaries with the older prince and not let those feelings that probably mean nothing and will mean nothing on the long way, out. But Chanyeol sometimes makes it difficult, with the way he smiles fondly at him, the way his eyes shine whenever it's just the two of them or how he can be a relentless dictator when something doesn't go his way and turn into a soft ball of cotton as soon as his eyes land on Baekhyun. It's confusing, but maybe Baekhyun is just imagining things. Maybe he's just seeing what he wants to see.

Chanyeol doesn't love him, not in the same way he does. Baekhyun would describe it as brotherly affection and he wonders if with time, that will be enough to keep their relationship a float.

That morning, Chanyeol had communicated him that his bedroom was finally ready, all walls newly painted and decorated and furnished with furniture that according to the small gossip Jongsoo had heard a few days earlier, prince Chanyeol had taken the time to choose himself. Baekhyun had argued with his young servant that the blush spreading on his cheeks was because he felt bad about the prince taking time out of his schedule to do that and not because of the thought that Chanyeol did it thinking about him.

"Baekhyun—"

"Hey!" Baekhyun turns around just in time to see his servant being pushed away by Kris' large hand. The man had insisted on accompanying him and Baekhyun, not wanting to have to waste his words, had just nodded. "How dare you speak like that to your prince, you little, insignificant—"

"How dare you speak like that to my servant?" Baekhyun interrupts, gritting his teeth, hand coming up to grip tightly at his bodyguard’s arm.

"My prince, I don't think it's right to let them get too comfortable around you—"

"I asked him to call me by my name. It's not your position to tell me how I should treat my personal staff; you should know your place Mr. Wu." Baekhyun retaliates, coldly, grip tightening. Baekhyun knew letting the man come with him was a terrible idea.

"Your Highness—"

"I'm only meeting with the prince; I don't see your presence being necessary."

Kris frowns. "My prince—"

"You will be called if you're needed. Jongsoo, come." He addresses his servant and the boy quickly rushes to hide behind him, keeping his eyes on the floor and anywhere but the blond bodyguard.

Baekhyun begins to walk away without waiting for Kris to reply, Jongsoo following close behind.

"Here's the sweater you asked for." The boy says once their out of the bodyguard's sight, stretching his arm for the prince to take the thin light gray cardigan.

"Thank you." Baekhyun takes it with a small smile. "Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah." Jongsoo nods his head eagerly. "It was nothing, I'm really used to the staff pushing me around just because I'm the youngest among them all." He shrugs.

"All of them?" Baekhyun inquires, a little surprised. Jongsoo nods. "How old are you?"

"I'm seventeen."

"Seven—" The prince turns to look at him, eyes widening "you certainly look a bit older than that. What are you doing working at this age? Shouldn't you be at school?"

"I am— was." Jongsoo shakes his head. "We need the money, so my mom works on the kitchens, my older brother on the gardens and here I am."

Baekhyun hums. "Don't you miss school?"

The boy shrugs. "Sometimes, but it's okay. I like being here, too."

Baekhyun nods his head slowly, narrowing his eyes as he resumes his steps. Maybe, just maybe, he could do something to help Jongsoo.

When they arrive to the east side of the palace, a good ten minutes from where his current room is, Chanyeol is already waiting for him by the door, looking dashing as always. He's smiling and Baekhyun has to look away to prevent the bones on his legs turn to jelly.

"Good afternoon." He greets, bowing his head a little.

"Good afternoon." Baekhyun greets as well, small smile curling up on his lips.

"Do you need anything else, my prince?" Jongsoo then says, eyes fixed on his feet.

"No, thank you. I'll be taking my evening tea in my room."

"Actually," Chanyeol speaks before Jongsoo "I was hoping you could join us this evening." He continues. Baekhyun swears his cheeks are tinting of a pale shade of pink.

"Oh, yes, of course." Baekhyun nods. "I'll see you tomorrow then." The prince tells the boy.

Jongsoo nods and then bowing to both princes, he goes on his way.            

"So..." Chanyeol begins to speak again, placing a hand flat over the heavy white wooden doors, there's the glint of a teasing smile dancing on his lips and Baekhyun has to look away for a moment in order to hide the sudden heat on his cheeks, afraid that the redness will give him away.

"Wait!" He exclaims before Chanyeol can push the door open, managing to startle the prince. Chanyeol gives him a confused look. "I want to ask you something first."

"Oh? Okay." Chanyeol nods.

"Could you find me a tutor?"

"A tutor?" Chanyeol quirks an eyebrow. "Why? You need to learn what two plus two is again?" The prince teases.

Baekhyun gapes, offended. "Haha very funny." He playfully shoves the prince away and laughs, infecting the older prince who starts snickering as well. "Not for me." Unconsciously he pouts and before he takes notice of it, Chanyeol is bringing his hand up and pressing his thumb over his lips to smoothen the creases. Baekhyun blinks in shock, his whole body tingles with the overwhelming feelings the touch leaves on his skin; he clears his throat and Chanyeol immediately retreats his hand. "Not— not for me." Baekhyun repeats. "For Jongsoo."

"Jongsoo?"

"My servant. Just for two hours a day, while he's not at my service. I mean, I spend most of the day with you or your siblings... I don't know what he does on his free time but I think he'll really like it."

Chanyeol takes a moment to answer. "Sure. I'll make a few calls and arrange a meeting. You can choose the one you think will be the best for him."

"Thank you." Baekhyun chirps, jumping a little on his place, unable to hide his excitement.

Chanyeol's body soars with happiness. He'll do anything to keep that smile on Baekhyun’s face and that bright look on his eyes. Anything.

"Ready?"

Baekhyun almost snorted. "What can possibly be behind that door that will truly amaze me?"

"You offend me, Your Highness." Chanyeol speaks, a tinge of mock in his voice.

"Carry on, then." Baekhyun replies with the same tone.

The older prince chuckles and then he's pushing the heavy doors open, stepping aside to let Baekhyun in first. The wave of satisfaction that surges through his chest w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter