III

Won't You Stay Til' The A.M?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sweat slicked skin,

Damp hair, 

and a fatigued body, 

Jeonghan was absolutely tired and ready to sleep for the whole summer.

Work at the farm was relentless. He thought it was simple once he heard what he was supposed to do, aside from the detailed instructions that he was lectured on and had to repeat back. It was the opposite. It was extremely hard and tedious and it made Jeonghan mourn every time he woke up in the morning earlier than everyone else because his body just wouldn't cooperate. Which he wasn't quite sure why, taking in consideration how sore he was. But life had a tendency to play with the Yoon Jeonghan if no one else was willing to. Not an exact justification, but enough to stop him from going mad. Days had passed since he first started, considering that he's much better than before, he can wholeheartedly agree he was getting better, or just faintly. Maybe a small dent was a sufficable terminology. The first day, Jeonghan was an absolute mess. He had to fill the chicken feed, but he didn't realize he left the door open and they all ran out. No one was awake so that left Jeonghan to panic and chase after them himself, loudly pleading for them to slow down and let him catch them. The amount of times he fell down as soon as he caught one, just to have it run away, was laughable. Some of them even had the audacity to fly towards him, lay on his head, and then waddle away as fast as they could just to mock him. Jeonghan found the grass much more comfortable than working. But for some reason, some unresolved resolution spurred on him and he sought out for the chickens that fled, running about, and yelling at them to slow down. He even devised a plan with the chicken feed that lead back into their coop. Which worked, aside from the two that went stray. He easilly caught one, hugging it tight to his body, despite it squirming and he placed it inside the coop, shutting the door. Long story short, he was chasing the last one and he didn't even realize that his grandparents, Jisoo, Hansol, and Jihoon were just watching him, amused, gathered on the porch, and inhabiting the lawn chairs they already had set up. It wasn't until the last one, he cheered out and immediately placed the chicken back into the coop and slammed the door shut. Grime clung onto his skin and his clothes as he slouched over, panting, sweat rolling down his face as his long, silver hair was an absolute mess. He could recall Jisoo mockingly asking him if he was okay and his grandfather telling him to go shower and change, which Jeonghan had to refuse because he stlill wasn't finished and what was the point of cleaning up now if he was gonna get dirty later. He'd find pleasure in rinsing his whole body off of the dirt when he was entirely finished. That seemed reasonable.

The remaining days, his grandmother forced Jisoo to accompany him after that incident, which made Jisoo scold him and say to wait for him before they start anything, only to have Jeonghan mock him behind his back and quickly regain his composure once Jisoo turned back around to look at him. Jeonghan's chicken coop job was taken by Hansol for the time being as he was exposed to the other jobs; the barn. He had to let out the cattle, make sure they don't stray too far from the field and check for illness and injury, to which he had to listen and focus on Jisoo while he was explaining. Somehow his gaze smoothed over his features, admiring his gentle physiognomy, looking at the freckles that dusted along his cheekbones and along his nose structure. The way his nose would crinkle up every time he was finished explaining a sentence, as he thought deeply about it. Jeonghan could recall his voice calling out his name gruffly, gaining his attention, as he just suddenly blurted out about how pretty Jisoo was. To which the other blinked, ignored what he said, despite the red hue that dusted his cheeks, and carried on with what he was saying. To put it lightly, Jisoo purposely made things harder on Jeonghan throughout the whole day, which he silently agreed he deserved and carried on with a smile with minimal complaining, or he'd get a death stare that actually made him very fearful. Jeonghan realized the farm job was harder. Not only did he have to tend to the cattle inside, but the horses, goats, and sheeps. He had to keep his senses heightened and try not to get distracted because things happen that fast. Silently, he applauded his quick reflexes.

The next job he got was by far the easiest. Water the garden in the morning, around lunch time, and then right before the sun sets. Along with that, he had to walk the dog. At first, Jeonghan thought it was easy and started without Jisoo, watering the crops and plants, but that only proved that he was truly a mess. Jisoo calling out and yelling at him for already overwatering by staying in the same spot for too long and getting scolded right after, courtesy of getting hit upside the head at his stupidity, to which he protested weakly at, jabbing at his chest instead. The two carried on in silence and once it was done, Jeonghan was relieved, while Jisoo messed with the strands in Jeonghan's hair, fixing his unkempt bedhair before continuing on with walking their dog. Spots was by far the cutest, a spotted puppy that teethed on the leash but happily complied once he realized it was a walk. Jisoo took the initiative to guide them through the usual route, making sure Jeonghan embedded this in his memory so he doesn't get lost, to which he did and asked Jisoo to show him around. Surprisingly, he agreed, and they continud on.

It was early in the morning.

But the heat began to warm Jeonghan's body. In a loose cotton shirt and a pair of jeans, along with boots that Hansol lended him, he was resting against the woven, wired fence. The soft clank was heard as it brushed against the poles that held them up. Currently, he was residing within the chicken coop area as he wiped his face with his forearm, gently avoiding the dirtied glove on his hands. Letting his eyes flutter shut, he basked in the warmth the sun rays emitted onto his skin, knowing all too well his pale skin was going to be heavily tanned by the end of the summer. He didn't even try to fight it. Besides, coming back with tanned skin and a refreshed personality doesn't sound all too bad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter