Lost in the Rain

Pandromeda OneShot Shop {CLOSED}

Requested By: shinrasshi

Written By: KissDromedaGirl

 

 

 

 

I was hunched over my book as I read the pages slowly, trying to focus my attention on the story more rather than the sound of the rain outside. I sighed loudly and shut my book, then set it atop my night stand and turned to my window. I pulled back my pink curtains and watched the rain fall down to the ground; drip, drop.

My heart started to sink as I started to remember that very day. It was days like these - the rain, the dark sky, the thunder that echoed every so often - that left me feeling empty and incomplete. These days made me feel completely and utterly alone. The whole in my heart seemed to be filled with something awfully heavy as it sank in my chest. My head began to hurt at the thoughts and my eyes started to water. I wish I could go back in time. Even though there is nothing I can do to change that day.

I lean back into my giant, fluffy pillow as I stare out the window. The memory floods my mind and I drift off, dwelling more and more into it...

~Flashback~

"Is everything okay, Minnie?" my friend, SooYeon, asked me. She took a bite of her rice and stared at me. I just twirled my chopsticks in my ramen, staring at it absentmindedly. I was listening to her, but I didn't want to answer.

"Everything is fine. Just eat and don't worry about me, OK?" I looked up at her to reassure her I was alright. I was alright. I was upset because my other friend, Dongho, hadn't called in days. He went to a different school then us. One that was all the way across town and it was a private school unlike ours. The last time I had talked to him, he'd sounded worried about something. He seemed uneasy and unsure of something, but I couldn't quite figure out what that something was. Maybe he was having girlfriend issues. Maybe he was stressed about school or some big test he had to take. Maybe he parents are getting a divorce. I didn't know, but I needed to find out. Dongho has always been a cheery person around me. Now when we talked or hung out, he seemed down about something.

"You seem sad. Is something going on?" SooYeon brung me out of my thoughts and I looked up at her, shaking my head.

"Of course not! Well...maybe. SooYeon," I had set my chopsticks down, "have you talked to Dongho lately?"

"No. Why? Is he OK? My brother never mentions him or anything anymore." SooYeon's brother, KiSeop, was close friends with Dongho at their private school. They had always hung out together and even stayed at each other's houses. It was unusual for Kiseop and Dongho not to talk or to not talk about one another.

"Really? I talked to him a few days ago. He seemed down about something. He seemed," I looked down, "upset or like he wanted to avoid me. I was supposed to talk to him last night, but he never called. I called him several times, but no answer. I texted him, too, and no reply. Ask KiSeop Oppa about him for me, OK? Please!"

"I will, don't worry Minnie!" She gave me a reassuring smile as I looked back up at her. "I just hope Dongho is OK. He tells you everything! Something must be up with him!"

I nodded and we continued to eat. I didn't eat much because I was too lost in thought and worried over Dongho. I missed his face. His conforting smile would surely reassure me if he was okay or not. I just wondered and badly wanted to know what was up with him.

~End Of Flashback~

As strange as it was then, I wish I would've taken action. I wish I would've ran to his house. Maybe called him Eomma. Maybe e-mailed his Appa about everything. I could've stopped my aching mind and heart about wondering what in the world was going on. I didn't, however. I just did everything at school as usual. The only action I decided to take was go visit KiSeop at SooYeon's house.

~Flashback~

I followed SooYeon into her house. We had taken our shoes off and we walked into the living room. She sat down on her brown couch and I sat beside her, taking out my phone and scrolling through the contacts impatiently.

"Are you going to call him again?" she looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "KiSeop Oppa will be home soon. You can ask about Dongho then."

I sighed and nodded, "OK. I will wait." I set my phone on the coffee table in front of us and stared at it. I hadn't a clue what to ask KiSeop without sound crazy and obsessed. Maybe the simple 'Is he OK?' will do.

After a few minutes of me and SooYeon chatting about her crush, KiSeop entered the house, and he threw his bag to the floor. KiSeop was a neat freak. He rarely did that. My eyed widened and I watched him. He happened to notice us there and he stopped and turned to us.

"Hey!" he tried his best to smile, "Here for a study session again?"

"No." I stood up and slowly walked over to him. He watched carefully, confused and slightly curious. "I have a question for you. More than one, actually. For now - one only. Is Dongho OK?"

He looked at SooYeon, then back to me. He hesitated for a moment then nodded, "He is. Haven't you spoken to him?"

I shook my head, "No. He won't answer my calls or texts. It is worrying me. I thought I'd ask you. Are you positive he is alright?"

KiSeop looked down and then finally back up to meet my eyes, "Maybe you should go visit him. For the best."

I was just about to reply when he walked away. He quickly dashed upstairs and slammed his door. I felt a tremendous amount of confusion and disappointment. KiSeop hadn't helped at all. I turned to SooYeon and frowned, "SooYeon, I think I'll go home. I'll visit Dongho Saturday."

"Okay. Remember, if you need me, call me." She smiled and watched as I walked over to get my phone and bag, walked to the door and put on my converse shoes, and then as I exited her house and shut the door behind me. I run home as fast as I could. I couldn't wait until Saturday. Saturday I would've figured out this whole Dongho thing! My best friend needed to call me. He had to!

~End of Flashback~

I grab my cellphone and look at my panda bear screen. It is October 15th; a Saturday. It is approximetely 6:48 p.m. I scroll through my messages, trying to find the ones from Dongho. I finally see his name, 'Dongho Oppa~ :)' and I click it. All our messages pop up. The last ones from October 16th, 2010. I smile as a tear slips down my cheek. I brush my dark brown hair behind my ear as I read his last message to me...

~Flashback~

It was Saturday finally! I woke up early - around 6:20 a.m. and rushed downstairs for breakfast. I ate some rice and kimchi. I put my dishes in the sink and ran back upstairs to brush my teeth, take a shower, and get dressed. I planned to go to Dongho's house around 9 a.m. I told my parents about it and they agreed.

After finishing up, I was ready. I smiled at myself in the mirror and grabbed my cellphone. I checked to see if I had any missed calls or texts. I had none. I shrugged it off and walked to the bus stop a block away. I boarded the bus and took a seat.

When the bus arrived a block away from Dongho's house, I smiled wide. I got off the bus and skipped to his house. Of course when I arrived on his doorstep, I made sure to primp up a bit. I nodded in acceptance to my look and that I was ready to see why my best friend hadn't called in ages. I knocked on the door quickly and waited for Dongho's mother to answer.

The door finally opened and an unfamiliar face greeted me, "Hello! Can I help you?"

"Is Dongho home?"

"Ah! Don't you know?"

Sudden fear swept over me just then, "Know what?"

The young man's face was full of suprise and sadness, "Dongho-yah is in the hospital. He was in a wreck the other day. Remember when it was raining really badly the other day? He was upset of his friend's death and he wasn't paying attention when he was driving. He isn't doing well. Who are you, by the way?"

"I'm his best friend, Kwon JiMin. We last time I talked to him was that day. He seemed very upset but never mentioned anything. What hospital is he at?" I asked, tears on the edge of my eyelids.

He gave me the hospital name and address. I quickly ran down the street to the bus stop and waited. I impatiently started pacing the sidewalk, staring at the ground. A few drops of rain hit my hand and face. I looked up at the sky to see dark clouds start to gather. I frowned. This couldn't happen.

Just in time, thought, the bus arrived and I boarded it. I stood up and grasped the bar above me. I tapped my foot as the bus drove. Fear, anxiousness, and anger filled my very soul and mind. That's all I felt then. I was scared for Dongho. I didn't want to lose him. Then again, I was mad because he never discussed his friend's death with me. I could've been the should he could've cried on. Lastly, I was anxious to see him. I missed him. I hoped he wasn't tore up or badly injured like some people get in car wrecks. How bad was the car wreck, though? When I almost reached the door, I reminded myself to turn off my phone. It is rude to have a phone on in a hospital. Or so I thought.

I rushed into the hospital and into the elevator. I pressed the button with the number '8' on it. I was so nervous about this. When the elevator doors opened, I rushed down the hall to find the waiting room. Asoon as I was about to give up to go ask the lady at the desk for help, I had found the waiting room. I took a deep breath and entered. I saw Dongho's parents and more people in there. Dongho's mother noticed me and gasped. She stood up quickly and rushed over to me, holding out her arms.

"JiMin-ah!" she said in my ear. "I'm glad you are here!"

When she pulled away I stared at her in disbelief. "Eomoni, is he OK?"

Her eyebrows furrowed together and finally answered, "He just woke up last night. He is tired and sore and really hurt, but he is texting. He is too weak for that, but he insists. When did he finally text you?"

"He didn't." I frowned and tears started to gather again.

She didn't seem surprised or shocked. She just nodded. "He said he wouldn't. He didn't want you worried about him."

"He should know better than that."

"He should. I'll go tell him you are here." She took off down the hall and I took a seat in a nearby chair. Minutes passed and when she finally came back, she was frowning and looked sad once again. "He crashed again. His blood pressure crashed and his lungs almost collapsed. You can come back again, JiMin-ah. You can stay if you want."

"Just text or call me if anything happens and just update me. Please! I am praying for him!" I let a tear or two fall. She nodded and I walked away. When I got into the elevator I slowly stabbed the '1' button with my finger. I began letting the tears flow as the elevator doors shut. When they reopened, I wiped my eyes and passed by the people who got on the same elevator. I left the hospital and got back on the bus. I was too lost in thoughts about Dongho that I didn't even realize it when I arrived home and got into my bed.

I had walked through the pouring down rain, gotten soaking wet, and was laying in my nice, warm bed, still wet. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and turned it on. I was going to call SooYeon. I waited as my phone loaded and gained a signal. Just as I was about to dial her number, I got a text message. I clicked the 'Read' button and my eyes widened at the name. I looked below at the message and read aloud...

~End of Flashback~

"JiMin~ I am sorry for not talking to you like I have. I was afraid to worry you. You don't need stress and worry in your life. I know you may disagree. I care for you, though, Minnie. I really do. I'm sorry I haven't texted or called you. I read all your messages. I got in a wreck. I'm bad and I shouldn't be texting but I had to tell you one thing. I love you. I love you more than anything. I always have, Minnie. I always will." I read the message aloud to myself. I let the tears slide down my face.

Dongho died later that night. The ventilator he was on didn't seem to help. He made him breath but soon, his lungs and heart just stopped working. I didn't ask anyong about the crash until I finally made KiSeop tell me. It hurt him when he did, I could tell. I had to know though.

When Dongho was out driving in the rain, he didn't seem to be aware of his surroundings. He drifted off into the wrong lane and the rain was so heavy and he couldn't see the oncoming big truck. The truck hit him head on and it flipped the car, whilst smashing it. Dongho had several broken bones and internal injuries. When he did wake up from surgery, he managed to text me. Even texting was hard for him to do, but he did it...for me. That's what sent him into that lung collapse and him blood pressure dropping; it hurt him to text and wore him out too much and little did he know, it would kill him.

A year ago today is when that all happened. Such a coincidence that it was pour down rain today, too. I called Dongho's Eomma today. We talked for some time. She told me she had a gift for me; a box of Dongho's things and something he was planning to give to me. She invited me over for dinner tonight and I will leave soon to go over to the Shin residence. I know there will be tears. I know there will be sadness. I look forward to seeing that box of stuff and the thing Dongho wanted me to have. She had explained that she only waited a year, because she didn't want to let go yet and she knew that now, she and I both were ready. I agreed.

I stood up from my bed and wiped my eyes and placed my phone in my hoodie pocket. I slipped my slippers on and walked to the front door. I traded my slippers for my black boots. I left my house and stood outside, in the rain, looking up at the sky with my hands shielding my eyes.

The rain gave me some comfort anymore. It reminded me of Dongho. Dongho died when it was raining, he crashed in the rain, and before then, he used to love to play out in the rain with me. I smiled at the sky and looked forward. As I began walking, I thought about what Dongho would be like know. What would've happened if he would've talked to me about the friend's death? What would've happened if he hadn't of driven the car? What would've happened if he would've have texted me his confession. His confession. I smiled at those words.

Once again I stopped, shielded my eyes, and looked up and the sky. The rain dripped on my face, hoodie and hands as I stood there smiling, "Dongho Oppa, I will always love you, too! Remember that up there! Don't forget me!"

I continued to walk and splash the puddles and I headed for the bus stop. The rain seemed to hide everything; the truck that hit Dongho, the road he was driving on, and my tears for him. Of those three things, I'd rather the rain not be there for the first two. The last one, the one where I cry for him, because of what happened because of the rain, my tears can go on doing that - being lost in the rain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~