Unexpected

Come Away

An owl and a kestrel sat in a chestnut tree overlooking P.S. 705 on the corner of St Marks and Classon Avenue. They had flown in minutes before, resting themselves on one of the tree’s sturdier branches, bodies still and eyes sharp and focused, seemingly lying in wait as they kept watch on the schoolyard below.

At first, nothing out of the ordinary happened. And then…there!

A low sound like a wind tunnel opening could be heard by the birds’ sharp ears and both ruffled their wings in response. From the corner two figures emerged, with one lunging to grasp at the nearby wall as though for dear life, and the other some steps behind, chuckling, clearly amused.

“Surely you exaggerate!” Junjin said, clapping a hand on Eric’s back. “I’ll have you know I was the fastest in learning to Shimmer among the three of us! Hyesung took at least half a century!”

(The owl bristled at the words, but remained still in its perch. Beside it, the kestrel gave a low burble.)

Eric glared at him, battling the urge to throw up on his shoes. Transporting – Shimmering? – with Junjin was an absolute nightmare. It had felt like being on the inside of a tornado and a washing machine all at once. Granted, they had landed on their feet, unlike when he had gone with Hyesung, but at least with the older fae he hadn’t felt like he had just gone on the worst roller coaster ride of his life.

“Never do that to me again,” he gasped. He attempted to straighten himself, not wanting to give the wrong impression to the other parents already present; he had to bite back a grimace as one peered at him, looking concerned. “Bad back,” he said to them as an excuse, forcing a smile. They nodded their heads in sympathy, with one even empathizing with his plight. Junjin laughed as soon as they passed, delighted at the scene.

“You lie so easily, mortal,” he said, sounding impressed. “Whether or not you are convincing, however, is another matter altogether.”

Eric shrugged Junjin’s hand, which had found its way onto his shoulder, off. “Shut up with the ‘mortal’ business,” he gave a low sound of annoyance. He could understand how Minwoo and Hyesung could find their brother irritating. “Not here.”

“All right then.” Junjin smirked. “Touchy.”

They were fast approaching the gray metal doors set on the side of the redbrick school building that had been designated for pickup. In the midst of many other parents milling about, Eric suddenly became hyperaware of Junjin’s presence there, and stopped to face him before they could reach the area where most of them were.

“Is something troubling you, Eric Mun?” the younger fae asked, looking at him with an expression of pure innocence.

Ha. Understatement of the century.

The fae ‘keeping watch’ of his brother was still something that didn’t sit well with him. The past year had already been hard enough, and he wasn’t sure how ready Andy would be for whatever craziness may ensue. He had no doubt that they would keep their word, but whatever ‘watching’ they had planned to do, Eric had to specify that they do it from several feet away.

(That, and he didn’t trust Junjin around a crowd of oblivious mortals. He didn’t want any sudden mooning or wardrobe malfunctions happening under his watch.)

“Listen,” Eric turned serious and hoped that Junjin would, in fact, hear him out. “Is it possible for you to disappear for a while so I can talk to Andy?”

“You underestimate your brother so.” The fae said, looking amused. “Mmm…but I could though.” He seemed to consider it. “How would you define ‘disappear’ and ‘a while’?”

Eric didn’t mince his words. Somehow he knew anything else wouldn’t get through to the fae. “‘Disappear’ like, ‘not be there at all’. ‘A while’ like, ‘until I tell you he’s ready’, and not any time before then.”

Junjin pursed his lips and appeared to be thinking hard, then he shook his head. “Nope. I don’t think so. Won’t be half as fun.”

At that, Eric felt very much like wanting to punch him in the mouth. “I already agreed to what you and your brothers had said. But I need some time…”

He was cut off as a bell suddenly rang, so loudly that Eric felt as if the fillings in his teeth were rattled loose. Suddenly they were in the middle of a frenzy of children, screaming and laughing and jostling for space. The sidewalk was suddenly the extension of a playground, and Eric could barely hear himself think, too shocked at the onslaught of noise and activity. It was pure chaos, and Junjin seemed to revel in it.

“Stop that!” Eric snapped as the fae gave high fives to each child that passed them. “Don’t touch them!”

“You have a terrible temper.” Junjin said as he gave another round of high fives. It didn’t help that the children didn’t seem at all afraid of him; one even asked Junjin lift his hand higher so he could jump. “You’re just like my brother. No small wonder that he favors you.” He made a face.

Eric was just about to ask exactly what he meant by his statement when a small, warm weight slammed against the back of his knees and almost sent him sprawling. Looking down, he saw Andy clutching at his legs, eyes wide with delight.

“Eric hyung!” Andy grinned, a rare sight. “You came!”

Eric extricated his brother off of his limbs and lifted him up, smiling when Andy gave a noise of disapproval as he kissed his cheek. Andy carried with him the scent of the schoolroom: pencil shavings and gummy erasers and the lingering scent of Mystery Meat from the cafeteria. Eric wrinkled his nose, not overly fond of the nostalgia it provoked.

“I couldn’t let Dongwan have all the fun.” He set Andy down again and knelt down to his level. “How was it? Good day? Bad day? So-so?”

“Mhm,” sniffed Andy, averting his eyes. There were pencil smudges on his cheeks that Eric rubbed at, and his hair burned orange where the afternoon light hit it. “It’s okay.” He looked up at him again, and this time, his gaze landed on something beyond his shoulder. Eric saw as his eyes widened in recognition. “Hyung.

“What?”

“You know him?” He had a look of awe and disbelief on his face, and Eric turned in time to see Junjin, making his way back to them after high-fiving likely all of Andy’s class, smiling like a loon. The fae waved as he approached, and Andy clutched at Eric’s collar. He leaned forward, whispering loudly: “He’s the Bird Man.”

Because of course he ing was. Eric didn’t know how he had forgotten that little detail.

“I had told you to not underestimate your brother,” Junjin said. “He and I have long been acquaintances.” He gave Andy a little bow. “Well met once more, Young Master Mun.”

Andy stared at the fae in amazement, as though not quite believing he was there. “Cool!” He thumped Eric on the shoulder. “Hyung, I told you he was real!”

“Yes, well. Among many other things,” Eric muttered as he instinctively moved Andy away. Junjin pouted at the gesture.

“You act as though I would eat him.” The fae complained, sounding like a petulant child. “We have met before. Besides, children don’t taste good.”

“I don’t know how I’m even supposed to feel about that statement.” Eric pinched the bridge of his nose. “And how have you met Andy before? We never saw you again beyond rescuing you from that net.”

“I met him after, hyung,” Andy confirmed, hopping up and down in excitement. He didn’t seem to be afraid or wary of Junjin at all which concerned Eric more than the declaration that they already apparently knew each other. “I mean, kind of. He was in my dreams all the time, and we played together always. I’d told you—”

Alarmed, Eric discreetly clapped a hand over Andy’s mouth to silence him, lest some parents get the wrong idea. “Okay, that’s enough. Both of you, walk with me now.”

He dragged both his brother and Junjin by the wrists away from the thickening crowd and towards a neighborhood bodega just a few blocks from where they stood. At mid-afternoon, it was blissfully empty, apart from the Dominican owner listening to soaps behind the counter and who merely grunted at them upon their entry. Andy shook Eric’s grip off the moment they were inside and made a beeline towards the sodas, while Eric pulled Junjin behind the floor-to-ceiling display of canned peaches.

“You enter kids’ dreams?” Eric hissed, careful not to raise his voice too loudly in the too-small space. “Tell me now how you know my brother and what you’ve been doing with him, or I swear to God I will throw you off the Brooklyn Bridge.”

For all his efforts, it was as though he was speaking to another child. Junjin seemed as sidetracked from the main point of contention as Andy was.  He studied the cereal boxes stacked just inches from where they stood, eyes wide at the riotous display of color.

Junjin!”

“I have no clue as to what you’re implying I’m guilty of.” The fae said, his tone impatient. He didn’t look at Eric as he spoke, outlining Cap’n Crunch’s mustache with a careful finger. “It was not something I had great control of over either, so your ire is completely unnecessary. The Realm of Dreams exists between here and the Underground. No one holds dominion over it.”

Goddamn fae and their riddles. “What does that even mean? Dreams exist in an entirely different realm? Dreams are magic?”

“It is what it is.” Junjin shrugged. Not once did his focus waver from the cereal boxes. “I met your brother in that realm often. It involved none of my magic, although it did require I be asleep…” He sighed. “I’m afraid I have very few of the answers you seek. I do not understand it all myself.”

He suddenly poked at Cap’n Crunch’s nose, causing the display to tremble precariously. “Eric Mun, why is this man confined to this container? Was he cursed?”

Eric rolled his eyes and slapped Junjin’s hand before he could cause the whole thing to topple over. “Stop that. If you make those fall, you’re paying for them,” he warned. He couldn’t help but be annoyed that Hyesung wasn’t there with them, if only to answer his questions. That, and to keep Junjin under control. He could only handle one child at a time.

“Eric hyung, can I get this?” Andy zoomed into view, expertly weaving his way through the crowded aisles. He held a Heath bar, a can of Arizona Half and Half, and a protein bar in his hand. “That’s for Dongwan hyung,” he said, when Eric scrutinized the protein bar.

“Andy, I’m pretty sure Dongwan can buy his own protein bars.”

“Yeah, but he likes having one while at work, so I’m getting him one. Please?” Andy stuck out his bottom lip, their parents’ Achilles’ heel. It was rotten luck Eric wasn’t immune to it either. He groaned.

“Fine, fine…but no telling Dongwan I got you candy before dinner.”

“I won’t!” And then he heard as Andy asked Junjin, who’d moved to investigating the shelf with chips on display: “What about you? What’s your name anyway? I never knew your name.”

“Junjin.” Came the reply, followed by a rapid shaking sound, then a “Don’t!” as Andy pried a Pringles can from Junjin’s fingers before he could reduce the chips inside to a fine powder. The owner frowned at Eric as he stood at the cashier to pay, and Eric rolled his eyes, turning around to collect the Pringles can.

“What else do you want?” He heard Andy say. “Junjin, what else do you want?”

“Deedee, stop asking him what he wants. He’s already getting a can of potato chip dust.” Eric said, annoyed. “And stay away from him.”

“Why? He’s my friend…oh yeah! That’s a good one!”

He was about to give Andy a lecture on how friends should actually be defined when a box of Nerds was into Eric’s face, and then another of Lemonheads on the counter, the contents rattling as the owner gathered them and added them to the bill before Eric could even protest. He glared at Junjin, whose dark eyes curved into crescents as he smiled. A bottle of Welch’s landed solidly by the cashier.

“I require food. And drink.” The fae said, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet. It was not a request, but an implicit command. Brat.

“Then go look for your stupid brothers.” Eric told him as he rummaged in his wallet for the few bills he had on him. “Didn’t you owe us a Favor? Why am I spending fifteen dollars just to get you food??”

“You have brothers?” Andy sounded awed. At some point, he had obtained Junjin’s cap and was now wearing it on his head, but the right way around. Eric found himself grumbling upon seeing it. If he can buy a damn Yankee cap he can pay for his own damn candy! “Are they my age?”

Junjin was already chugging down his grape juice and shook his head soundlessly at Andy’s question. “I am the last-born.”

“So am I! I don’t have to call you ‘hyung’ then.”

“I’m not aware of this language you speak but there is no need for titles in my presence. I am Junjin.”

A breathy giggle. “Okay, Junjin.”

Eric shut his eyes as he stood at the counter. Already his headache was growing. Not in a million years had he expected Andy to take to Junjin so swimmingly. He was going to have a serious talk with his brother about strangers once this was over…

“It’s 21.50, bud. Your pal Bright Eyes over there swiped a pack of Skittles.” The owner cocked his chin at Junjin and Andy, who were, indeed, sharing a pack of freshly-opened Skittles between themselves, Andy even awaiting the candy with both hands cupped. Eric bit back a curse and produced an extra ten dollar bill.

They had to leave right after, in case Junjin’s sticky fingers found more treats to pilfer. The afternoon had already started to cool and the first breezes of autumn were already starting to be felt, through errant strands of hair and biting at exposed skin. Junjin tailed them like a lost puppy, arms filled with the snacks he had managed to get Eric to pay. He currently had a mouthful of Nerds and was trying to whistle through it, making Andy laugh.

“Don’t you have somewhere you need to be?” Eric asked, exasperated and unwilling to lead Junjin back to their apartment. “Surely there has to be some appointment you need to keep, or a task you forgot to do.”

Junjin shook his head. “No.”

“He should join us for dinner,” Andy said, already halfway through his Heath bar. He chewed carefully around the wrapper as he spoke. “We have plenty of food.”

“No.” Eric was adamant. “No way.”

“Why not?” His brother turned to look at him, frowning.


“Because one, we barely know him. Two, he’s not my responsibility. And three, Dongwan will not like it.” The last was a shot in the dark, but Eric figured he knew his cousin well enough to speak for him. “I’m not bringing strangers to the house.” Especially strangers who know how to produce things out of thin air and reappear and disappear at will.

Andy was still sulking when a ringtone sounded, the first few bars of That’s How You Know viciously cut off as he answered in haste.

“Hello, Dongwan hyung,” Andy said, his tone mild. “Mm-hm. Eric hyung picked me up. Uh huh. Uh huh. Yeah. He’s here now.” He pulled the phone away to tell Eric he says your phone is dead before speaking into the receiver again. “Yeah. I don’t have any homework. Yeah. Yeaaaah. Yeah. Oh, Dongwan hyung?” At this, Eric caught as Andy gave him a sideward glance. “Can we bring a friend over for dinner?”

This kid!

Andy ducked as Eric tried to swipe his phone away from him. On the side, Junjin watched them, entertained by the sight. “Yeah. He’s Eric hyung’s friend too. Yeah. Yeah. He’s old too. Yeah. Okay.”

“Put him on speaker.” Eric commanded, and wordlessly, Andy obeyed, probably rendered nervous by his glare. Honestly, was he the only sane one? “Dongwan.”

“Eric? Hey, congrats on being a responsible adult and picking Andy up on time.” Dongwan’s voice sounded overly loud on speaker. A public embarrassment, his cousin. Eric’s ears burned.

“Hey, that’s not—” he tried to defend himself but Dongwan talked over him, as he was wont to do.

“Bring along guests if you have them. I was going to ask you to cook the chicken anyway? It’s taking up too much space in the freezer. Are they friends from work? Are they listening to this call? Hello, Eric’s work friends!”

“Hello!” Junjin shouted back merrily, tongue blue as a skink’s, as he ripped open another box of candy.

“No, he’s not.” Eric fumed. “And he was just about to leave.”

“You’re lying. I can tell.” Dongwan laughed. “You’re probably embarrassed, so bring them over. I want to meet them. Anyway, I still have to thank them for hauling your back home when you were sick.”

“It’s not—they’re not—”

“Roast the chicken with some veg and make a salad. I’ll bring home dessert. Andy, you want cake?”

“Yes!” Both Andy and Junjin screamed into the receiver, nearly deafening Eric who was holding the phone. As pathetic as it was, Dongwan also sounded equally excited. Eric couldn’t blame his cousin; they had next to no social lives thanks to their respective lines of work, so any excuse to hang out with other people apart from the three of them would have been a welcome gesture, even for him…but did it have to be with a potentially harmful non-human?

“It’s a school night!” Eric said, but knew he had already lost the battle. From the corner of his eye, Andy was already giving Junjin a high five. He was seriously going to have to talk to his brother…

“Awesome! I was wanting a good dinner.” Dongwan was pleased. There was really no escape now. “Okay, I’ll wrap up here and catch you guys later. Eric’s friend! Eric should be able to handle it. Don’t bother helping him.”

Dongwan was still laughing as Eric hung up. Above them, the same owl and kestrel from that afternoon, now perched on a nearby awning, watched as Eric confiscated all of the sweets they had bought and threatened to cook an entire vegetarian dinner as revenge for being set up. The dismay reflected on both Andy’s and Junjin’s faces were priceless.

Who knew mortals could be such fun? The owl preened. Beside him, the kestrel shuddered his disapproval.

Something is afoot. I do not like it, brother. Not one bit. But the owl’s focus was on the two mortals below them, rollicking about with Junjin, and an unfamiliar feeling, warm and tingly, spread from his chest to the very tips of his wings. There was something coming, but the owl didn’t see it as anything wicked or despicable. A of danger was also in the air, green and bitter, but when was there ever not?

Come away! Come away! called the incoming night, and the owl leapt off the awning, the kestrel right at its tail.

Come away!


tbc


Author's Notes
1. This was already partly written, so the challenge really was in finishing it. Honestly I've never written in this format (no cuts to the next scene, just one long continuous stream of words) before so it's really difficult?? I don't know why I've subjected myself to this, but it's a worthy challenge. It just sometimes frustrates me to no end because the inevitable consequence is the plot is reaaaally drawn out. (But that may also be due to the fact that I haven't really figured out a lot of things yet for the story. Heh.)
2. Bodega = small family-run stores that you can find in NYC in and around neighborhoods. They can range from delis to grocers to small supermarkets, depending on who runs it. In Brooklyn it's more delis and grocers, while in Manhattan, it's more tight little spaces where you can buy the essentials, like newspapers, bandaids, and candy.
3. Andy's school is actually the Brooklyn Arts and Science Elementary School. I'll be using creative license to explain how far or near that is to their apartment (it's not THAT far, but it's far enough that you can ride the train and get off two stops later).
4. LOL who caught the clue that Andy is NOT going to call Junjin 'hyung'? Since they're both the youngest, he will definitely insist they're same-age friends, this American Dydy.
5. Ricsyung is subtle so far but will build up! Plot will also get rolling. LOL. I'm really sorry.
6. Yes, Andy's ringtone for Dongwan is That's How You Know from Enchanted. Deng probably set that up. As stated before in a previous chapter, they are huge fans of that movie. LOL.

Thanks again for your wonderful and candid reviews! I'm really chuffed that you guys are actually reading this??? It's unbelievable to me. I just started writing this for myself. Anyway, I'll try to get the next one out as soon as I can. No promises that it'll be fast though. Sorry! ^^;;