In Plain Sight Pt 2

Come Away

If anyone was watching the scene Eric was in from an outsider’s point of view, it would have made for a very strange picture indeed.

At the sound of Minwoo’s voice, Eric whirled around so abruptly he tripped and backpedaled straight into Hyesung, nearly toppling them both as Eric’s full weight slammed into his frame. Junjin had gone down on his knees by their feet, bowing so low he was practically kissing the ground. Minwoo – for it was Minwoo, and not a figment of his imagination as Eric had hoped – stood in front of all of them, imposing despite his smaller stature, with his legs apart and his arms crossed, eyeing each of them in a disparaging manner.


(Eric’s back was pressed against Hyesung’s chest, so close he could feel their heartbeats frantically pumping in unison, and he seemed to suddenly forget how to breathe.)

“My lord brother,” Junjin said, his voice muffled. He kept his head down. “Your presence today is…unexpected.”

Minwoo scoffed, obviously immune to Junjin’s yarns. Like his brothers, he had appeared in what could pass for a ‘normal’ outfit: a navy blazer over a denim button-down, dark chinos, and brown leather Oxfords made him near-indistinguishable from Manhattan’s typical yuppie crowd, his hair even gelled up to give everyone a clearer view of his face. Eric could see he was even wearing eyeliner, which was oddly complementary to his entire look.

“Hello, brother,” Hyesung said. He had pushed Eric off of him but they were still close enough that Eric couldn’t tell for certain whose heartbeat it was that pulsed fast against his skin. “How was your rendezvous with the Troll King?”

“Oh, still dull as always, but we finished negotiations in half the time needed, so I thought to check on the both of you.” Minwoo’s voice was like a knife beneath silk sheets as he seemed to study the buttons on the cuff of his blazer. “Mother was worried Jinnie might have found the tasks I left him with too difficult...”

Junjin straightened from his previously prostrate position, looking hopeful. His lips stretched into an innocent smile. “Brother, did you like how I arranged the books in Father’s library?” His tone was sickly sweet and made Eric’s skin crawl. “They’re all arranged now by size, language, color, subject matter—” He stopped, flinching as Minwoo approached him in two strides and deftly cuffed him on the back of his head. Eric watched as the older fae then grabbed the younger by the ear and twisted it, much to Junjin’s dismay.

“Ow, ow! I’ve not done anything!” Junjin howled, grasping Minwoo’s hands and attempting to pull him off without much success.

“Precisely.” Minwoo snapped, holding fast, uncaring that some people had stopped to look. “You’re fortunate Father refused for me to undo all the work the goblins had done, and that I’m still able to hold my tongue. You really do have a talent for trying my patience, youngling, but I would ask you not to foolishly attempt it again lest you’re willing to suffer the real consequences of your actions.” He let go of his brother’s ear and Junjin immediately clapped a hand to the side of his head, face contorted into a long pout. “On your feet now. How dare a prince of the Underground grovel in such a fashion? And in front of mortals no less.”

Junjin begrudgingly got to his feet, dusting his knees off as he stood up. “I don’t know how you could have expected me to finish those tasks while still being bound by the Favor.” He reminded Eric of a child who was trying very hard not to whine in front of a very irritated adult. “There are rules, surely!”

“Rules? Don’t make me laugh, brother. Since when were you ever concerned for them? You merely use them at your convenience.” Minwoo retorted. “And you,” he whirled towards Hyesung, who was still half-hidden behind Eric, “I’d expected better. Who gave permission for either of you to inform your charge of the Fae? Even the prophecy! Have you both gone mad?”

Hyesung stepped out of Eric’s shadow, calmly facing Minwoo, and Eric debated for a moment whether he should keep standing in between them. Hyesung however didn’t seem as intimidated of his brother as Junjin was, and so Eric stayed in his spot, nervously glancing at the fae beside him. From where he stood, Eric could see something glistening on his face when the light hit it at the right angle: right by his brow and eye line, some marking that disappeared into his hair. “There are no rules stating we can’t, brother. I should know. Father and Mother drilled that into our heads even before we could walk.”

“He’s better off not knowing anything at all!” Minwoo said, clearly agitated. The air seemed to curl around them, thick and crackling, as though bristling with unseen energy. Eric didn’t even dare to breathe. “Do you not understand how much we’re already endangering the Underground by exposing ourselves?”

“Careful, brother,” Hyesung tsked, his voice a low murmur. “Your temper’s showing. And we are Aboveground.”

It took a moment for Eric to realize what Hyesung meant: upon further scrutiny, Minwoo had seemed to start to shimmer, and his fingertips had begun glowing orange. Like what he had seen on Hyesung, some markings had also started appearing by his browline. He took an alarmed step back and, alerted by Hyesung’s warning and his reaction, the older fae seemed to come to his senses, looking down at his hands and immediately curling them into fists, hiding the pulsing orange lights within. Within seconds the air around them relaxed and Minwoo’s skin quickly returned to normal, the shimmer replaced instead with a flush on his cheeks. Eric saw as a small, proud smirk danced on Hyesung’s lips for a few seconds before it disappeared. Minwoo glared back but said nothing more, clearly embarrassed at his mistake of nearly exposing them himself.

“You needn’t worry so much, brother. Are you saying that you honestly feel that the fate of our entire realm is being threatened by this mortal? I doubt he can even remember, let alone understand, everything we’ve told him.”

“Hey!” Eric turned towards Hyesung, frowning, but the fae only gave him a nonchalant shrug in return. Jerk .

“Hyesungie’s right.” Junjin draped an arm over his middle brother’s shoulder. “As much as I’m fond of Eric here, he seems harmless.”

Minwoo seemed to be unconvinced. “Woe betide us all when your faith proves wrong,” he said, still scowling. “Junjin, you will swear to me that you will accomplish the Favor before Samhain.”

Junjin gawked at the statement, obviously displeased. “Samhain? Brother, surely you jest!”

Swear to me.” Minwoo commanded. “Or I will have no choice but to inform Mother and Father and have them grant you the sentence of your due.”

“The granting of the Favor rests not on me alone!” Junjin wailed. He shook Hyesung’s shoulders as though to cajole him to speak up. “Hyesung!”


“He’s correct, brother.” Hyesung crossed his arms, allowing himself to be a wall Junjin could hide behind. “The Favor comes from a great need, and also requires our own consent. It is not something we can completely force or bind with time.”

“If it weren’t for the foolishness of you both we would not be in this situation in the first place.” Minwoo growled. “Yet you neglect to remember that it is two mortals that the Favor can apply to.”

“Two?” Even Eric was confused, but then he remembered. “Andy?”

He went largely ignored by Minwoo, who was still speaking directly to Junjin. “Were it not for the child, you probably wouldn’t even have to deal with this mortal here. But it is also largely due to him that you were freed. Surely that will enable you to grant the Favor by Samhain.”

“Okay, back up,” Eric cut in just as Junjin opened his mouth to speak. He may not have been a lot of things, but when it came to Andy, the gloves came off. He wasn’t going to allow the three fae to even come within 500 feet of his baby brother. “Andy doesn’t have to be part of this…”

“You don’t choose as to whom the favor applies to, mortal.”

“I have a name.” Eric was getting tired of being called ‘mortal’ by Minwoo. “And no, as his guardian and brother, you guys are not going to meet him. No way. Not in a million years. Keep your weird magicky selves off of him. I mean it.”

“I do not know if you are being dim-witted on purpose, but that is not something you can dictate.” Minwoo tilted his head at him, looking all at once blank and dangerous. His stare caused a shudder to go up Eric’s spine, but he soldiered on.  

“I don’t care,” he snapped. “You’re not coming near my brother. What happens anyway if the Favor won’t be granted? Can’t that happen?”


“It cannot not happen.” This time Hyesung spoke up, and the look he gave Eric was a hardened one. “The Favor of the Fae is a covenant. It is ancient magic. While both you and your brother live, the Favor remains active between you and your brother, and Junjin.”

So this is possibly a lifetime thing? A laugh threatened to burst forth from Eric’s mouth. You have got to be kidding. “What if I never let you near Andy and I die? Or what if we both die without it ever being granted?”

To his surprise, Hyesung glared at him, as though Eric had directly insulted him to his face. “That cannot happen. If the Favor is not granted, it will likely destroy the bearer.” There was a slight tremor in his tone. “Junjin will perish.”

This was something he had not expected, and Eric suddenly realized the stakes at hand; why possibly Minwoo was so irritable about the whole thing. “But aren’t you immortal?!” Eric’s voice rose a pitch. “And ‘likely’? Are you not sure?”

From his spot beside Hyesung, Junjin shook his head. “Although we live very long lives and death does not come easily to us, we are not immortal, Eric Mun.” The younger fae said, almost looking apologetic. “Ancient magic is something we dare not dabble with, or question. None of the Lesser Court has granted Favors before, and we’ve yet to ask the Higher Court what they know of it, if the punishment holds true.” Junjin looked sheepish. “We risk the High King and Queen finding out if we do…”

“So none of you are actually sure how this works. You’re relying on a bunch of stuff you remember from somewhere because you also can’t ask anyone since you’ll be in trouble.” Eric groaned. ing great. He was dealing with children.

“It matters not whether we confirm the consequence of not being able to grant a Favor. We will be keeping watch of your brother as well; your permission is not required.” Minwoo spoke directly to him now, his face an oncoming storm; Eric could now confirm that he did not like being the center of the eldest fae’s attentions. He understood now why hiding behind Hyesung was Junjin’s choice of position. “I am not sacrificing my youngest brother for the comfort of a mere mortal.” Minwoo spat. “You still think us conjurers of mere parlor tricks? Pathetic beings.”

“Minwoo.” Hyesung warned. “Peace, brother.” He turned to Eric, his eyes like burnt film. “We will say this one last time: the Favor of the Fae extends to your brother. Your consent is not needed. It is preferred that Junjin will grant his Favor earlier, and considering your brother increases that opportunity. You understand.”

It was not a question, and yet Eric already felt himself recognizing the same fear he had in the two older fae. If he was to be honest with himself, how could he blame them? He had a younger brother of his own, and also considered Dongwan as one. He knew what it was like to not want for any harm to befall them. He knew what it was like to be someone’s big brother.

(I can’t believe I’m putting myself in the shoes of someone who isn’t even human. Eric wanted to kick himself, avoiding Hyesung’s eyes as he put his thoughts back in order.)

“I don’t really have a choice in this,” he said, not exactly happy. He wanted to ask more, like what does this really mean, will I be seeing you more often, will I always have to be subjected to ALL of you, but then Hyesung smiled, looking pleased that he finally understood, and whatever was in Eric’s brain seemed to scatter to the four winds.

“No, you don’t. But it will be easier for everyone if you would not resist.”

The words should have sounded threatening, but coming from Hyesung, they weren’t. He was obviously the diplomat among the three of them. Eric blew out a breath; a headache was already threatening to overwhelm him. Above them, the sky was a beautiful brilliant blue and Eric wanted to swear at whoever thought it would be a good idea to turn fairy tales into reality.

His phone rang. .

“Hello.” He answered, still staring upwards.

“Hey, calling to remind you that it’s 2:30 now and you should be heading out. Or at least getting ready to.”

Dongwan’s voice was a cold dose of reality. Andy. Eric immediately looked down at the watch on his wrist. His cousin was right. .

“Don’t tell me you forgot! Eric, you idiot!” Dongwan said when his silence endured. “Are you even at home?”

“Shut up!” Eric said through gritted teeth. Without paying any heed to the three fae with him, Eric had immediately broken into a run, already mapping out the shortest route back to Brooklyn in his head. At the rate he was going, an Uber was going to have to do—

He stopped abruptly as Junjin suddenly appeared in front of him, blocking his path. He just had enough time to halt right before he crashed into the fae’s chest.

“What are you doing?” Eric demanded, forgetting the phone that was still attached to his ear. “Move!” But Junjin was grinning at him in that maddening way of his and didn’t budge. “Junjin!”

“Who?” Dongwan was still on the other line and sounded confused. “Eric, who are you talking to? Where are you…?”

Dongwan’s voice grew faint as Eric saw the air around them start to go fuzzy, as though they were in a TV with bad reception. The familiar telltale sign of magic caused the air to buzz and hum. Junjin was still smiling.

“I know of a faster way.” The fae cocked his head in invitation. “C’mon.”

To any passers-by in Central Park at that point in time, they would have only seen a cordoned-off area stating that the park was undergoing some landscape renovations instead of Eric and Junjin, who both, in reality, stood there.  

“No wait—” Somehow Eric knew what Junjin was about to do. He glanced around for either Hyesung or Minwoo to corral their brother but he couldn’t see them. “Wait, Junjin, don’t!

But Junjin reached out and grabbed his hand, and the world quickly disappeared in a chaotic vortex of cold and wind and light, bringing Eric along with it.


tbc


Author's Notes
1. This is the other half of In Plain Sight, as somehow some things still needed a bit more explaining? I must confess though that I didn't plan for the 4 to dominate this entire chapter. WanDy was already supposed to be here, but RicMinSyungJin wouldn't let me. I guess they wanted more explanations? 
2. I'm sorry it's taking a while to get to actually getting the plot rolling! Believe me I'm also getting a bit impatient. Hopefully the 4 will now let me write WanDy in.

3. Human-fae interactions with RicWanDy will be coming!!! I can't actually wait to write those in. OT6 is my jam hahaha. Also, with OT6 can come other pairings. Who knows what may transpire? Hehehe.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and hope this update makes up for the next one which *may* be delayed. (I haven't started writing it yet omg). Thank you so much for all the comments and upvotes! You guys make my day, especially when you guess what can happen next and how they will interact, etc. Honest, those things ARE capable of changing the plot! :) Smell ya later!