The Favor of the Fae

Come Away

Somewhere in the vast universe, something shifted.

In a world of twilight, three shadows moved. Where they stepped, a new reality was made or shattered. Where they leapt, new possibilities emerged. When they reached their desired Moment, time grew still and the earth lay in wait, and an ancient power older than the known universe was called forth, rumbling awake as though it were a slumbering beast.

From the lead shadow, a warning: You will explain this to Father if he asks.

A beat, then a quip from the second: IF he finds out.

The third fidgeted, nervous, his aura flickering with unease. He chose to stay silent as the two elders came to an agreement.

Slowly, delicately, the stars realigned and clocks sluggishly moved backward. Flesh, bone, blood, glass ripped and mended and spilled and shattered as one reality opened up and another was sealed, the threads holding the known worlds together momentarily tearing apart before being quickly closed once more.

At the end of it all, one Eric Mun was yanked out of his dreamless slumber and back into the world of the living, head pounding, mouth dry, and gasping like a fish out of water.

“Whoa!”

Strong hands caught his shoulders before he could throw himself off the surface he’d been lying on. In an instinctive attempt to protect himself, he blindly swiped at whoever it was trying to help him sit up and ended up hitting someone’s nose in the process.

“Eric! Ow! Eric, stop! Calm down! It’s me! It’s me!”

The whining was unmistakable. With considerable effort, Eric opened his eyes and saw a hazy version of Dongwan, bent over and clutching his nose, swearing at him with a clogged voice.

“Why are you here?” Eric demanded, shocked at his cousin’s presence. Wasn’t he just outside? Did Dongwan come to get him? He felt disjointed and his ears were blocked, as though he had just surfaced from a near-drowning experience. He shook his head as he tried to steady his line of vision, wincing as the motion sent a lightning bolt of pain through his skull. “Where are…”

Minwoo. Junjin. Hyesung. His mind was able to retrieve the names easily, as though they were long-lost friends rather than three strangers who had suddenly appeared without warning and who spoke nonsense half the time. The sound of each strange syllable sent shivers to the base of his spine. He recalled soft hands and gentle touches, wisps of feathery blonde hair brushing against the side of his face. “Where are the others?”

Dongwan glared at him, massaging the bridge of his nose and testing to see if he’d broken anything. “You’re lucky I’ve just spent nearly half the night worrying about you.” His vision cleared and Eric realized that it was already daylight and he was at home, in the bedroom he shared with his cousin, and Dongwan was on a chair by his bed. “Do you even remember what happened?”

Eric scoffed. His body still thrummed with pain and he could still taste blood in his mouth. “I was mugged on Atlantic after I got off the phone with you,” he said, telling the truth for once. Under normal circumstances, he wouldn’t tell his cousin things that would needlessly worry him, but there were very few people he felt safe with and that he occasionally needed to unload on. He stopped, however, as Dongwan gave him a strange look.

“Mugged? What are you talking about? When? And I didn’t phone you.”

“Yeah you did,” Eric said. “You said you were going to be at the Delaneys. Mrs. Delaney had caught a cold and you needed me to come home already to watch Andy. I was at Target when you called.”

His cousin stared at him like he had grown two heads. “Wow, you must have been really out of it, huh.” He stood up from the chair, more alert now, and shuffled over to the desk where he kept his medical supplies, coming back brandishing a digital thermometer. Eric looked at him, bewildered, as Dongwan took his temperature and felt his forehead. “Your fever’s gone down a lot, though. That’s good. Couple of hours ago I thought I was going to have to bring you to the hospital.”

The room tilted slightly at his words and Eric grabbed his cousin’s wrist. “What are you talking about?”

“Dude, I never called you. Someone from your office called me last night and said you’d gotten sick at work so they were bringing you home. They got a cab and helped bring you up because you weren’t even awake. Said you passed out at the sign-off meeting.

What?” This was all news to Eric, the turn of events totally different from what he remembered had happened. How was that possible? “That’s not true!”

“It is so true. I don’t even know how they got you up four flights of stairs but I nearly died dragging you into the bedroom. Man, you’re heavy.

It was as though Dongwan was speaking in a foreign language because Eric could barely understand what he was saying. He had gone to Target, had received a phone call, had been mugged…. Instinctively he reached for the back of his head where he knew he had gotten a nasty blow, but all he could feel was his hair and the roundness of his skull. There was no trace of any external wounds.

“No way…that’s…no way.

“Yes way.” Dongwan crossed his arms over his chest, looking stern. “Andy thought you were dead. I nearly had to bribe him to stay in his room so he wouldn’t catch what you have. Took a while to calm him down.” He gave an exasperated sigh. “Idiot, if you hadn’t been feeling well, why bother going to work? You can be such a .”

Confusion muddled Eric’s thoughts like soup, his mind asking a hundred questions a minute. How the is this possible? Am I living another life? Am I going crazy?

“I was shopping for school supplies,” he said stupidly. “You called me just as I was paying at the cashier. I was asking you about ring binders. I bought ring binders.”

Dongwan shook his head. “We already bought school supplies remember? Couple of weeks back, online. We already knew we weren’t going to be able to do it in the next few weeks. Andy’s stuff has been ready since July.”

Eric’s head swam with the information, feeling himself go dizzy with disbelief. He knew Dongwan well enough to know when he was kidding around, and this wasn’t one of those times.

“You must have had a really intense fever dream,” Dongwan said with surprising gentleness, fixing the comforter so it wasn’t laying in a haphazard manner over him. He pushed him to lie back down. “It’s still a bit early so just lie down and get some more rest. I’ll fix breakfast so you can take some aspirin,” and then adding with their usual brutish affection, “and if you don’t eat it, I’m ramming it down your throat.”

With one last warning to not leave the bed, he left Eric alone to deal with the storm that were his thoughts, and the slow-growing fear that he had actually lost his mind.

Eric didn’t actually remember even going to the office and falling sick. He didn’t remember agreeing to any online school shopping. He remembered arriving at the office early and leaving late. They had been working on the Dan Brown account and they had just been about to do the sign-offs. He remembered sneaking out of the meeting to go to Target to do last-minute school shopping. He remembered the call from Dongwan. He remembered leaving to go home, then getting mugged. He remembered he had been saved.

Did I dream all that? He considered the possibility. But it FELT so real!

“You’re not going crazy,” a soft voice whispered in his ear, and Eric jumped, startled. His head snapped in the direction of where the voice had come from and was shocked to find another face mere inches away from his: blonde hair, starlight-pale skin, eyes like crescent moons.

“Hyesung!” he blurted, more instinct than anything. The man in question gave him a small smile, as though pleased he remembered.

“Eric.” The other man said, head giving a small bow. The sound of his name on Hyesung’s tongue made it sound like something otherworldly, like a prayer, or a spell. For a second, he was entranced, but then familiar fear, thick and churning in his gut, kicked in.

“How…how did you get here?” Eric asked, attempting and most likely failing to look brave. He couldn’t explain it, but he knew now that he was dealing with something beyond his comprehension, and that frightened him more than anything. “How did you get into my apartment?”

“I have my ways,” Hyesung said, and the way he spoke Eric knew there was always something more, something that invited him to come, take a peek, see what you find, and he felt like the child in the story being led to the house made of sweets…

“We can explain to you everything,” Hyesung lowered his head as though ashamed, or hiding. His hair hid most of the upper part of his face. “My brothers and I.”

Eric blinked. “Your brothers?”

“Yes, but not here.” Hyesung flicked his wrists in a lazy gesture, pertaining to their surroundings. “Too much iron in this part of the city. Feels horrid when we stay too long. I know a better place,” he said, his eyes twinkling. A hand stretched out, unfurling lily-white fingers under Eric’s nose. A breeze rippled through the room, although all the windows were shut, and Eric caught a whiff of the scent he associated with Hyesung: rain and wind and fresh-cut flowers, the scents of late November.

“Do you trust me?”

It sounded like a trick question, as though it was really a command veiled as a choice. Eric hesitated.

“How? I mean, I don’t…I’m not getting what…”

Hyesung cut him off. “Eric.” Although he was smiling, his eyes were unfathomable depths, and alarm bells rang in Eric’s head. “Do you trust me?”

Such a simple question but with an answer that held the promise of great consequences.

I must really be going crazy. But if this is a dream, it shouldn’t matter, right?

“Yes,” he said after a moment’s hesitation. He looked into Hyesung’s eyes, saw the molten fire and flashes of something lurking beneath it, but rather than being afraid he was intrigued. Take me, I want to know more. Let’s see how far this will go. “Yes, I trust you.”

Hyesung smiled, his thin lips curling upward without showing any teeth. It was a reserved grin, and Eric couldn’t tell whether his answer pleased or irked him.

“Good. Now close your eyes. It’ll disorient you the first time around.”

Eric was about to ask just what he meant when Hyesung reached for his own hand, and instinctively, he squeezed his eyes shut. There was a sensation of his lungs contracting and him being pressed into a small, small space, until he was the size of a molecule, an atom, and then before he could even fathom what else was going on, the universe expanded once more, stretching and filling out, and he was once more whole, flesh, blood, hair, bone.

Eric landed with a hollow thud on wet grass.

A laugh sounded from somewhere, echoing in open space. “Hyesung, the least you could have done was make sure he was dressed!”

Eric groaned as he opened his eyes, dizzy from whatever he had just gone through. He was shocked to find himself blinking up at a tree’s canopy, squinting at the bright sunshine filtering in through the leaves. He sprang up, shocked, and nearly collided with Hyesung, who was peering over him.

“What the hell—!” he yelled, looking from side to side. He was in a public space, somewhere, surrounded by the muffled din of city traffic. “This isn’t my apartment!”

“We’re in Gramercy Park,” Hyesung supplied. He was a step or two away from Eric, his hands behind his back and his head cocked to one side, as though studying him. He was still dressed in white from head to toe, but now in a suit jacket that had an accompanying trim that seemed to be made of white and speckled feathers. How he managed to stay spotless, Eric couldn’t possibly even begin to figure out. “I apologize for the rough landing. I’m not used to traveling with a…companion.”

“That’s an understatement.”

There was a rustling of leaves and suddenly, the man who had been introduced as Minwoo was there, dressed in dark leather pants, a dark, loose tunic, and what looked to be military boots. Although his face was more neutral than the last time Eric had seen him, his eyes were hard and glinted coldly under the warm morning sun.

“I am only here at your request and because I require an explanation, brother.” Minwoo said, addressing Hyesung although his gaze stayed on Eric. His voice, low as distant thunder, made Eric’s skin crawl. “Speak now or there will be consequences.”

“Such a wet blanket, Minwoo,” a voice taunted, and Eric looked up to see a flash of black against the green of the trees. A whooshing sound revealed Junjin, perched in a full suit on one of the higher branches of the tree next to them. “There hasn’t even been any proper introductions yet.”

“Get down here now,” Minwoo hissed. “I’d told you to stop playing around.”

Junjin laughed, a merry sound that floated freely among the boughs of the trees. From his spot, he flipped around and dangled off of the branch with his legs, swinging slightly before launching himself off with a somersault and landing cleanly on the ground near Eric.

“Hello, Eric Mun,” Junjin greeted him pleasantly. “Had a nice sleep?”

“You…” Eric regained his composure enough to find his tongue and looked at the three men in front of him: Junjin with his teasing grin, Minwoo with his deepening glare, and Hyesung with his reserved smile, switching from one face to the next. “One of you had better start talking about what the is actually going on. How did I get here? What the hell are any of you? Am I making all of this up?”

To his surprise, Minwoo stepped forward, pushing Junjin slightly out of the way in a protective stance. He glowered at Eric as he warned, “Careful, Son of the Above. The Fae do not answer to you.

Minwoo!” And this time, Hyesung spoke up, disapproval lacing his tone. “Peace, brother. He is not the enemy here.” He turned to Eric, bowing apologetically. “I apologize; even though you deserve our favor, you have been nothing but afraid in our presence.”

“What has this mortal done to deserve our favor?” Minwoo snapped his head towards Hyesung. “Tell me now and cease this childishness.”

“He and his brother rescued Junjin when he was trapped in a mortal contraption while in his other form. He freed him, although he was not obliged.”

Minwoo’s expression suddenly darkened and Eric watched as he turned to Junjin with alarming speed. “What were you doing in the Above without Hyesung or I? What did we tell you?!”

For all the bravado Junjin had earlier held, Eric watched as he seemed to visibly shrink under Minwoo’s gaze. He tucked his head to his chest, like a child. “I wasn’t gone for long. Everything happened so fast…”

“I could curse you, both of you!” Minwoo shouted, clenching his fists. He pointed at Junjin, who winced. “How could you be so foolish? And you,” he switched to Hyesung, “so careless?!”

Although Junjin backed down from Minwoo’s glare, Eric could see as Hyesung stubbornly held his ground. “What’s done is done,” Hyesung said. “For saving a prince of the Underground, Eric Mun is fully deserving of favors of the Fae.”

Wait, what?

“What in actual are you guys talking about?” Eric demanded, and all three men looked at him. The air hummed around them, like the droning of a hundred bees, and made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. “Look, I am clearly having a nervous breakdown or something here, so if you don’t want to tell me who you are and what the is going on, I’m leaving. I don’t need any more of this funny business…”

He turned to leave and make his way back home, never mind that he was in his pajamas in the middle of Manhattan or that he probably didn’t have any money on him, but he needed to get away from what he suspected were three very dangerous characters and fast…

Something held him back, something cold and uncomfortable uncurling in his gut like a waking viper and Eric found himself unable to move. Fear made his heart beat like a war drum against his chest.

“Let me go,” he said, because although he knew it was impossible, he also knew it was their doing. He willed his voice to keep steady, to not let his fear show. “I don’t want any of your favors. Just leave me alone.”

There was a sigh and Minwoo suddenly appeared in front of him, blinking into existence from what had been empty space. He grabbed Eric’s hand and studied the mostly-healed wound on his palm.

“Careless,” he muttered, running a hand down Eric’s skin. Eric flinched as the wound stung where he touched, but Minwoo held fast to his wrist. “You’ve marked him, Junjin.”

“Look, whatever it is you want, I likely would not have it…”

Silence.” Minwoo hissed. “You and your kind always talk too much.”

“Just let me go,” Eric said, close to pleading now. “I won’t ever bother you again.” But Minwoo shook his head.

“Despite my reservations about this issue, my brother has spoken correctly. Introductions are overdue, but are still necessary protocol of the High Fae.” He gave a low bow. “I am Minwoo, Representative of the Unseelie Court and Heir Apparent to the Kingdom of the Underground. My brothers, Hyesung and Junjin, are the second- and third-born sons of the High King and Queen.”

Eric swallowed thickly. “Fae?” he asked, mouth suddenly dry. He thought of his childhood storybooks, visions of gossamer-winged creatures riding dragonflies in moonlight suddenly appearing in his head. “Like…fairies?”

There was movement like two swift winds and suddenly, Hyesung and Junjin were there beside Minwoo, Hyesung being closer to Eric.

“Fae are not fairies,” Minwoo snapped. “Of course, if that concept helps you to grasp the complexities of it all, be my guest.”

“We’re not fairies. However, we’re many things fairies only aspire to be,” Hyesung said, looking a bit smug. On Minwoo’s other side, Junjin chortled, toying with Eric’s hair.

Sons of the High King and Queen… “You’re royalty?” Eric said, ducking out of Junjin’s grasp.

“In so many words and ways, yes,” Hyesung replied, his expression almost shy. “Are you surprised, Eric Mun?”

Oddly, Eric wasn’t, not really.

“We are the heirs to the Underground, a world unlike your own.” Minwoo said, calling attention back to the matter at hand. “My kind are not strangers to yours, although it has been centuries since mortals and the Fae have last spoken. We are governed by the word of the High King and Queen, which my youngest brother has always seemed immune to.”

At this, Junjin lowered his head again, having the decency to look shamed.

“Be that as it may, for what you have done for Junjin, my brothers and I are indebted to you, although I believe I have already paid my dues.”

From the way he spoke, Eric could see something shift deep within him, as though giving him a clue as to what had been done: he could sense the tilt of distant planets, the realigning of stars, the movement of the earth beneath his feet; the opening of one reality as another snapped shut, changing with it an infinite number of small moments…

Eric yelled. “Did you change something?” he asked, immediately understanding now. “You can do that?”

Minwoo looked at him with a hint of displeasure on his face. “I reordered time according to my brother’s wishes, and a thread of your reality was changed so you would not bear the ill effects of the assault done to you. Rest assured it will not happen again.”

Eric could hardly believe his ears.

“He thinks he’s crazy,” Junjin laughed. “I’ve forgotten how fun mortals can be.”

“You have more questions,” Hyesung said, his voice light. “I can see it in your face.”

“I doubt you’ll answer them, though,” Eric shot back, feeling braver than he should.

“Perhaps.” Hyesung’s tone held a teasing lilt. “Or perhaps not. It depends on our mood.”

“The Favor of the Fae is not a laughing matter, and I will caution you all on its usage. Hyesung has already granted his to you by protecting you from the enemies who had sought to do you harm last night. Junjin’s Favor is left, but take heed, mortal,” Minwoo’s voice lowered to an almost-threatening hiss. “We are not playthings, or a mere granter of wishes. Beware of the promises you make us, and the desires you keep.”

A cold breeze fluttered past and made Eric shiver. If Minwoo could turn back time, he was definitely someone Eric did not want to cross the wrong way.

“We cannot stay long, and we also cannot keep your cousin or your brother from entering your chambers for much longer.” Minwoo stated, as though reminded by an invisible timepiece. Slowly, Eric felt as the invisible bonds that had held him in place loosened, before he was fully released. “Hyesung. Junjin. Take him back. And no more games, you hear me?”

“Yes, my lord.” Eric heard Junjin mutter as Hyesung moved closer to him, the feathers from his suit tickling the end of his nose.

“Still afraid?” Hyesung whispered, so soft, Eric was sure he was the only one who heard.

"No..." Eric shook his head. I trust you, came the unbidden thought. As though he had heard, Hyesung smiled, his teeth shining like pearls.


“Good. Now close your eyes…”

This time, Eric obeyed almost immediately, and there again was that familiar sensation of being squeezed and pressed before being pulled and stretched into existence once more. When he opened his eyes again, he was back in his bed, tucked underneath the comforter as Dongwan had left him and, as he watched, a lone speckled feather wafted lazily from the ceiling, dancing in an unseen breeze before coming to rest near his open palm.

tbc

Author's Notes
1. Thank you so much to draghag who gave me the idea about Gramercy Park! My canon is yes, that would definitely be one of Hyesung's favorite places in NYC and he would totally drag J and M to there for meetings or whatever.
2. The Underground was borrowed from the Labyrinth and is basically the realm where the fae reside. In the movie, David Bowie is the King of the Goblins. In here, I've just made the three boys princes of the realm itself. They're pretty powerful, the three, although it's not been shown in full yet, and I needed something to justify it. My thinking is, the higher you are (in terms of nobility and whatnot), the more powerful, so those three bumbling boys are the High Princes of the Underground. 
3. Fae =/= Fairies. They're totally different. Fae are more powerful and are sometimes thought of to be very ancient beings, as well as holders and wielders of very powerful magic.

4. Minwoo has power over space/time! How cool is that??? He also has a bird form, but he's not in the mood to show it yet.
5. H and J also have 'specialty powers' but it will be revealed eventually.

Love it? Hate it? I have absolutely no idea where I'm taking this but I'm so grateful you're joining the ride! Feel free to shout out some comments and suggestions, as they may change the course of the story if I take a liking to it! :)