Odd

Come Away

The training room was ablaze.

Hyesung watched with his arms crossed over his chest as orange flames the stone walls with each strike from the King that Junjin was able to parry and return. The training dummies that had been stored on one side were scorched, black and stiff as though they had been struck by lightning, and the heat was managing to make the temperature in the protected chamber that they were in rise to uncomfortable levels. Beside him, Minwoo also watched as their youngest brother stood in the middle of the hellish inferno their father had created. With bated breath they saw as Junjin manipulated the elements so that it formed a giant fireball above his head before quickly stretching his arms to his sides, causing the fireball to quickly expand and dissipate into air with a loud crack and sizzle.

“He is doing well.” Minwoo commented, although he did not dare redirect his gaze. Someone always had to keep watch over training sessions to ensure any serious damage would be kept to a minimum, and often, Minwoo took up the responsibility. “Much better than yesterday.”

Hyesung did not avert his gaze either. He watched as their father procured piles of loose stones from the walls and flung it forcefully towards Junjin without warning. It was frightening sometimes how their father took their training so seriously, as though he was preparing them for an oncoming war. Fortunately, Junjin had always been quite quick: with the stones, he manipulated their movement as they sped towards him, creating a tornado with them while maintaining his spot in the center of the vortex, before releasing them just as quickly back towards their father’s direction. The King’s only defense was to put up a shield, and the stones shattered to dust as they hit his defensive barrier. The force of it was so great that even their father faltered, falling to his knee as Junjin’s magic made impact with his.

Danu Almighty, sometimes even Hyesung forgot just how powerful Junjin really was. It really was a sight to behold, as long as he wasn’t the primary target of his brother’s attacks.

“He seems all right, Hyesung.” Minwoo said, forcefully exhaling a breath as his shoulders visibly relaxed from the tension it had been holding. “Your worry was all for naught, it seems….”

Hyesung frowned. Just remembering the blood on Junjin’s face was enough to make him feel physically ill. “If you recall, he could not even Shimmer yesterday.”

“No, you had prevented him from Shimmering, although he was quite willing.” Minwoo corrected.

“If we had made him he might have drained his powers again so I am not apologizing.”

“It happens.” Minwoo shrugged. “Our brother is learning the extent and limits of his powers. He is not a child…”

“I know that.” Hyesung hissed, annoyed that Minwoo even had to mention it.

“And I do have to remind you that he did also have a rather difficult session with Father yesterday.” Minwoo looked nonplussed at his ire, already well-used to his brother’s temper. “But it seems he has already made up for it…”

“What are my sons discussing so earnestly at this hour?” a voice suddenly said from beside them, and Hyesung turned, surprised, disarming spell at the ready.

The Queen had appeared in the chamber, her long silver dress rustling against the stone as she approached where they stood. She waved Minwoo off as he righted himself to help her, and tutted when she saw Hyesung’s spell glowing blue and coiled in his palm. “A low-grade disarming spell will do naught if you were in the presence of an actual enemy, my prince.”

Hyesung frowned and exterminated his spell by closing his fist around it. “You had startled me, Mother. However, I had not conjured it to do any real harm.”

“Still you must learn to always expect the worst.” The Queen shook her head. “It would not have been difficult for me to block it had you chosen a stronger spell.”

Hyesung ignored his mother’s words, having heard them before. Instead he scrutinized the Queen’s face, which seemed less bright than yesterday. Her features seemed…dull. As though she was a star that had lost its shine.

“My Queen, are you—”

He was not able to finish his question as the protection around their chamber was suddenly dropped, which signaled that the training session was finished. In the training room, the King had already gotten to his feet and was approaching Junjin, who was still in a defensive stance.

“We are needed, I believe,” the Queen smiled, before quickly Shimmering out of the chamber. Hyesung nodded and followed after Minwoo, Shimmering and relocating himself a few feet away from where their father was congratulating their brother.

“Well done, Choongjae!” the King said. He clapped Junjin on the back. “Well done, indeed!”

Junjin beamed proudly at their father. Hyesung noted he seemed his usual energetic self today despite the lack of sleep they had all had to endure, arriving at the Underground at a late hour only to rise before dawn shortly after. “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

“I had not doubted it a bit. You always manage to astound me, my son.” The King turned to where they were waiting just a step behind their mother. “My Queen! My princes.”

“Mother!” Junjin greeted enthusiastically before rushing up to hug and kiss her on the cheek. Only Junjin could get away with skipping protocol and showing such open affection to the Queen; Hyesung himself did not dare to do so. “Did you see, Mother? Did you see?”

The Queen laughed, obviously pleased at Junjin’s excitement. “I did not, my darling, but I can surmise it had gone well, judging from the way your father is grinning.”

“He will make a fine warrior yet. And King, lest we forget.” The King smiled proudly before turning to look at both Hyesung and Minwoo, who were still waiting to be addressed. “Your thoughts, my princes?”

“Excellent reaction time and defense skills. Some of the timing could use some work though, Junjin.” Minwoo raised his eyebrows at the youngest prince, and Junjin looked slightly abashed. Hyesung had to agree.

“Yes, some of your defenses you waited for until the last minute to deploy when you could have done it moments earlier.” He wasn’t sure if it was theatrics or if Junjin was still actually recovering from yesterday’s ordeal, so he didn’t push on the issue. “However, I would say you are vastly improving.”

Junjin gave them both a bow that was equally playful and mocking. “My thanks, o gracious High Princes. I will endeavor to improve according to your impossibly high standards.”

Minwoo gave a snort of faux disgust. “Father, may I hex him, just this once?”

“Of course not.”

“And it would not be your first time, you grand fibber.” Junjin retorted, although he did move back towards their mother as though for added protection. He placed a protective arm around the Queen. “Worry not, Mother, I will protect you. Minwoo’s spells can be quite destructive.”

The Queen let out a breathy laugh at his antics. “Silly ducks,” she said, her voice airy, as though she was forcing her breaths out in time with her words.

Hyesung caught as the King gave the Queen a sideward glance, so quick it may not even have been real, but there was a line of worry in his expression that Hyesung had never seen before. His suspicions were further heightened when the King turned to the Queen and took her hand in his, gently pulling her away from Junjin’s hold. With a loud snap, a feathered cape reflecting the avian markings of the King materialized from thin air and gently placed itself on the Queen’s shoulders.

“Shall we break our fast first, dear one?” the King asked in such low tones that if Hyesung had been any younger he would have turned away. In reply, the Queen nodded her silent asset.

Odd, Hyesung frowned, and took a step back to see if either of his brothers had noticed their parents’ strange behavior. But he halted in mid-step as the King suddenly turned and focused his gaze, eagle-sharp and scrutinizing, on him. 

“Junjin’s training session is done. Hyesung, shall I see you here then after an hour for yours?”

The familiar feeling of fear and anxiety overwhelmed him at his father’s words, and his palms grew hot, as though his innate magic had sensed their being summoned. Hyesung wanted to protest, but it would not do to refuse an order of the King, especially if he had no substantial excuse to fall back on.

“Y-yes.” Hyesung cleared his throat. “Yes, of course, Your Majesty.”

The King smiled. “Good. I believe we shall make excellent progress today on yours as well.”

He really did have to applaud his father’s optimism, especially on things Hyesung himself didn’t know how he could fully take control of. Although he had long acknowledged of his brothers’ abilities when it came to their magic, their confidence in it didn’t necessarily rub off on him.

Also…he had been looking forward to go to the Above, perhaps. If only for an hour or two, just to…check. On Eric Mun and his brother, and possibly that odd cousin of theirs. He had been looking forward to it, but only a little. Now that would have to be delayed. Damn.

He bowed to his father who was waiting on his response. Anxiety and disappointment grew heavy and entangled in his chest.

“I look forward to it, my King.”

 

 

-|-

 

“Eric.”

“No.”

Eric.

“Lay off, Dongwan.”

“You don’t even know what I’m going to ask you. What are you being a grouch for?”

Eric growled as his cousin hovered behind him as he made Andy a peanut butter and banana sandwich for school. It was a Monday and too damn early for any complicated Q&A sessions. He knew his cousin wanted to grill him about the fae from their visit last Friday, and he wasn’t sure he had any acceptable answers. He had gotten lucky over the weekend because Dongwan had had overnight duty at one of his regular clients, but then he had stormed back home just an hour ago and had immediately started pestering Eric, who was already having enough trouble keeping himself awake.

(That and he had seen neither hide nor hair of Hyesung since their disappearance last Friday so he was admittedly grouchy about it, despite already telling himself several billion times that he shouldn’t be pining over the fae like some lovesick widow).

“Those guys, Eric. The only time you brought friends over from work was never and you’ve worked at that place since graduation. That’s ten years.” Dongwan was entirely too high-strung at such an ungodly hour. Eric contemplated choking him out but decided against it, given that Dongwan knew plenty of pressure points himself.

“The point is, Eric: who are they really? And don’t give me bull about them being brothers and …”

“They are brothers, dip. I wasn’t lying about that.”

“Ah but you were lying about something then.” Dongwan flitted about him like a mosquito. “Are you in some kind of trouble? Did you…I don’t know, borrow money off of the Korean mafia or something?”

Eric gave his cousin a withering look, pausing midway in cutting a banana into rounds. “Really?”

“I don’t know!” Dongwan threw his hands up. “You could have! That guy, Minwoo, looks like he’s bad news bears.”

“Yeah, well, for an entirely different thing altogether,” Eric muttered. He wasn’t ready to explain that aspect of Minwoo’s character.

“What?”

Nothing.” He gave his cousin a shove towards the doorway, already having had enough.It’s six-thirty. Shut up already and go get Andy. I’ve been telling him to get up since ten minutes ago.”

It wasn’t a surprise when Dongwan obeyed without argument. The routine of putting Andy and his schedule a priority was already deeply ingrained into their systems by now, and anything that had to do with the two of them could always wait. Dongwan returned minutes later carrying a snoozing Andy in his arms and they both set about on the task of getting his brother fed, watered, and ready for school, which put his cousin’s pestering on hold.

“Wait!” shouted Andy just as Eric hustled him out the door at just past 7:30. It was Dongwan’s turn for drop-off today, which would allow him for a few minutes of solo introspection (read: not thinking of Hyesung, thank you very much) before heading off to work himself.

“What? What?” He and Dongwan glanced around to see if Andy had dropped anything. There was nothing on the floor, however, and Eric automatically ticked off items on his mental checklist of things that Andy should have had with him.

“Your lunch is in your backpack and you’ve got no PE today so you don’t need your uniform.”

“No! My flower!”

“What?” Eric wasn’t sure he heard right.

“My flower!” Andy said, and rushed back in through the open door of their apartment. Both Eric and Dongwan followed him back to his bedroom, where he immediately made a beeline for his bedside table, cluttered with crayons, Lego men, and—

Ah. Eric understood it now. He saw as Andy clutched the mason jar which contained the flower he and Junjin had created and held it close to his chest.

“I’m bringing it with me.”

“What? Andy, no.” Although there was really no rules about the children bringing any of their personal belongings apart from toys or expensive items to school, Eric felt he had to draw the line.

“I have to keep it safe. Junjin said.”

“Yeah and it’ll be safer here at home where no one can touch it or break the glass or anything.” Eric felt oddly nervous about keeping Junjin’s gift near Andy at all times. The kid even slept with it. Also, he didn’t want the hassle of anything happening to it and upsetting Andy unnecessarily. “Leave it here.”

“Keep what safe?” Dongwan poked his head into the bedroom. His eyes scanned the room and saw the jar in Andy’s hands. “Oh, that.”

“Dongwan hyung, may I bring it to school please? I won’t show the other kids or anything but I have to take care of it. I’ll just keep it in my backpack.”

“What is it anyway?” Dongwan asked Eric, attempting to peer over his shoulder before giving up and craning his neck around his side instead. “Is it a toy or something? It’s glowing.”

And it was, not that Eric hadn’t noticed before. The flower was emitting a strange, almost ethereal glow that seemed invisible to the eye, unless you really looked. It was one of the handful of things that he found disconcerting about Junjin’s gift.

“Junjin gave it as a gift. It is a toy. From…Mexico. He had gone on holiday at some point…” He kept his tone even to avoid Dongwan’s suspicions, but was unable to keep himself from grimacing at his own words. He was a bad liar.

Hyung. May I bring it?”

“Yeah sure, kiddo.”

Dongwan!” Eric’s head snapped to face his cousin but Dongwan was already making his way through the hallway and back to the front door. Andy let out a victorious whoop.

Eric. It’s a flower in a jar. Get a grip, all right? We’re going to be late if we keep this up. You’re always harping about making sure Andy gets to school on time.”

“Yeah but—Andy!” He called after his brother who was hurriedly stuffing the jar into his backpack. Andy turned to him at the sound of his name, looking as though he was already anticipating getting told off, although it didn’t prevent him from jamming the jar in further. “Do not—I repeat, do not—show the other kids, ok? Don’t even take it out of your backpack.”

He widened his eyes in a way that he was sure looked pretty comical, but he had to make sure Andy understood. It wasn’t just anything, and Andy had to understand. He held his brother’s shoulders as he spoke in a quieter voice. “You remember what Junjin told you, right? Keep it safe.”

“I will.” Andy clenched his teeth at the words, as if saying geez, hyung, what do you take me for? “I promised Jinnie.”

Eric walked Andy to the door, making sure to secure the jar inside between an extra shirt he always made his brother bring and his assignment notebook. “Sunho.” He whispered. “Don’t forget our secret, okay? No one should know…about Hyesung and Junjin and Minwoo, all right?”

Andy rolled his eyes. “Okay, hyung.”

“Okay, whatever, you weirdos.” Dongwan called out from the outside hallway, and it was only then that Eric saw he was still in his nurse’s scrubs, but with a Nike jacket and a baseball cap on. He was still in pajamas himself. Only Andy looked mildly presentable in his uniform and combed hair. It was their typical Monday morning mess, only with a dash of fae. Eric wasn’t sure if he liked it.

“Eric, stop hassling him already! Andy, c’mon. You’re going to be late.”

“Okay. Okay.” He conceded to their current fate, and kissed the crown of Andy’s head. “Have a good day, baby.”

“Eurgh. Hyung.” Andy scowled at him. “I’m not a baby.”

“Whatever.”

Dongwan pointed at him as he took Andy’s other hand. “You. We’re not done discussing yet…” he said. “Hey! Eric!”

But Eric had already closed the door, drowning out the rest of Dongwan’s complaints.

 

 

-|-

 

 

His entire body felt cold.

It was an odd thing for Junjin to feel, especially since he rarely felt the absence of heat, mostly due to his magic. To have the ability to manipulate energy meant that his power always coursed through him like a low fire, just waiting to be summoned and used. Now…it felt as though his power had been weakened for some reason. As though the fire had been reduced to a glowing ember, leaving him with cold that gripped him from his core.

Perhaps from the training session? He considered. He had expended a lot of his energy into deflecting the King’s magic, but that had already been some days ago, and he didn’t feel tired in the same way he did the last time. Just…cold.

Junjin shook his head and tried to conjure fire that would sit in his palm, just to test his abilities. It surprised him that he was still able to, and with very little effort, but the colors were a bit off and were not as bright as he wanted them to be. He peered at it curiously, letting the flame snake like water through his fingers.

How…odd.

“Choongjae.” Someone knocked on his chamber door. Minwoo. Startled, Junjin extinguished the flame by forming a fist, but was unprepared as a stab of cold lanced through him and nearly rendered him unable to breathe. A sharp gasp escaped from his lips before he could clap a hand over his mouth.

“Brother? Are you all right?” Minwoo had heard and began knocking in earnest.

“Yes.” Junjin said, although his voice was not as strong as he would like. The sudden attack of overwhelming cold had forced him to hunker down in an attempt to alleviate the pain that had come with it.

“I’m coming in.”

Blast and damn. His brother could be such a nuisance, like a third parent he did not want or need. He heard as the handle to his chamber was twisted open and as Minwoo strode through the antechamber and into his bedroom. Junjin straightened in time for his brother’s appearance, biting the inside of his cheek as the movement caused more pain to thread through his veins. Despite it still ebbing through him in waves, the pain was thankfully fast fading, and he could feel his strength returning bit by bit. He plastered a smile on his face as he faced Minwoo.

“Are you all right?” Minwoo repeated as he advanced towards Junjin in large strides. He started inspecting him in the same infuriating way their mother would whenever they felt ill as younglings, running a hand down his face and checking on vitals with gently probing magic. Junjin threatened to bite Minwoo’s fingers as they ran down the pulse points in his neck.

“Rude.” Minwoo scowled, but pulled his hands away.

“I did say I was all right.” Junjin said, managing to look miffed. The pain had more or less disappeared and he was only left with the odd cold that sat in his gut. Thank Danu. Despite it being a discomfort, it was at least something he could handle. “Where’s Hyesung hyung?”

Minwoo gave him an odd look. “‘Hyung’? Is that not what the boy Andy uses?”

Junjin shrugged. He had been referring to both his brothers with the title in secret, having heard it enough times from Andy. It was endearing, and it did seem to suit both of them. “So what if it is? It’s apparently used to refer to his older sibling and his cousin.”

Minwoo shook his head, but did not state anything more on the matter. “Father and Mother are visiting the Summer Court today, so we may go Aboveground if you feel up to it.”

Junjin lit up, eyes widening at his brother’s words. “You jest, brother, surely?” Minwoo had never been the one to initiate their visits Above, and he wondered what could have been the cause for it.

“I do not.” He noticed as his brother glanced down, as if avoiding his gaze. “I am just aware your Favor needs to be granted sooner rather than later. I do not wish to dally any further with these mortals, however…interesting…they may seem.”

Yes, there was definitely something there… Junjin, however, did not attempt to push his luck by teasing his brother. He stood up, internally thanking Danu as no pain coursed through him as he moved. Perhaps it had only been a fluke in his magic…

“Hyesung hyung?” he repeated his question from earlier, not wanting to bear the brunt of his older brother’s wrath should they leave without his knowledge. After Hyesung’s session with their father the other day, he had been sequestered to engage in more focused training and so had been largely unavailable.

“He has gone ahead of us, actually. I had asked him to so that he can obtain more information on Eric Mun’s cousin.”

And there it was. Junjin grinned, unable to help himself. “Of course, brother.”

Minwoo frowned, his usual irritability presenting itself once more as he caught on to Junjin’s subtle ribbing. “It is only to determine he is safe to be around with.”

“You know I have met him, brother. You are aware he is quite safe.”

“If you do not wish to come, I would be more than happy to assign you certain tasks instead.”

“No, no, Minwoo hyung.” Junjin reached over to embrace his brother’s neck, and Minwoo wriggled from his grasp. “Of course I would be happy to join you.”

“Hyesung thinks you may have overreached your magic the other day, when you went Aboveground last.” Minwoo peered at him. “You will inform us if something is amiss, wouldn’t you, young one, lest you prefer to be officially banished from the Aboveground?”

Junjin shuddered at his brother’s tone, aware of the hidden threat underneath it. “I am not that obtuse, brother. Of course.”

“Good.” And mischief now glinted in Minwoo’s eyes. “Shall we, then?”

Junjin smiled back at his brother, united for once in their shared glee, hidden or otherwise.

“Yes, let’s.”

 

tbc

 

Author's Notes
1. This is a FILLER chapter to explain some things, also to set the scene for other things which will take place. This was actually supposed to be longer, i.e. more Ricsyung, but it didn't fit right. So I divided it into two. Still working on the other half.
2. I'm so so so sorry for making you wait! Life got in the way and I could only really do a story at a time. When I started This Must Be the Place, it consumed a lot of my time and energy, because I also needed a break from Come Away. But I was (weirdly) rejuvenated after watching Dr. Strange in Infinity War because his powers are similar to how I picture the faes'
3. Thank you to all who have read and commented! I really treasure all of them and read every single one! They really help the writing get done faster and I do like it when people guess things on the plot. Mind you, I haven't thought it all the way through (I just know what the ending is but the in-betweens are hell to write and imagine) so the comments make up a lot of the plot. Hehe. :3
4. I promise to post the next one as soon as I finish but I also have another plot bunny that's been nibbling at me the past couple of days and I've been itching to write it. It's a Jindy but will (as usual) feature all of them. Stay tuned. :)