Death Wishes

Dying Love

Mark groaned in pain as the machines pumped various chemicals into his body. He wanted it to stop, but what could he do, he knew all too well that this was the only thing keeping him alive. The pain was so harrowing that it made the small man puke in disdain. 

 

One after another the pills came. Nurses forcing him to drink with water, or sometimes swallowing them dry. This was all too help him right...Mark sometimes wonder if it was worth all the traumatic experiences, maybe he should just give up.

 

But then when his treatments were finished, he'd come back to a room with a man standing next to his bed. A wide smile plastered on his face like a five year old child. He couldn't help but feel a little sense of warmth and belonging when he was there. 

 

"You're back again?" Jinyoung nodded as he sat on the bed, staring at the red head. It was apparent that the closer he looked at Mark, the more his smile would fade.

 

Mark was indeed, deathly ill, his skin was pale, his eyes barely staying open. He seemed much more skinner then the last time he spoke to him. He bit his lip to hold back the questions that were wondering in his mind. 

 

"How was the treatment?" Mark stared at his hands for a long while before answering, "Same old same old." Jinyoung could tell the difference, something was running through Mark's mind. "Well, what should we do then to take your mind off of these treatments. Shall we travel somewhere else today or read comics?" 

 

Mark shook his head, he played with the bluish blanket that covered his legs. "Jinyoung...why did you come here?" It was an out of the blue question that Jinyoung couldn't remember if he'd ever answered that same question. Whether or not he's been asking himself or other people intrigued in his reasoning. A smirk left his lips, he didn't really know, well, yes he did know, but he didn't want to tell that to Mark. "A friend introduced me to the place." 

 

Mark nodded, he didn't ask any further questions which worried the raven-haired man. He didn't like the fact that Mark was so quiet. "Is something going on Mark?" Other than the harsh treatments, today was the day he knew how much time was left, whether the process is showing significant progress in which he could actually live longer. He was scared that everything was going to fall apart today. 

 

He didn't want Jinyoung to know, he didn't want the young nurse to worry for him. That burden would kill him no doubt, and Mark made it clear that there's no point in two of them dying. "Nothing...I'm just tried." Jinyoung understood immediately that Mark needed some space so he decided to leave a little earlier.

 

But, the man had to admit that his mood harden due to the fact that he really couldn’t read Mark at all. The feeling that he was going through something on his own made him angry, there were close enough, at least to Jinyoung, to where they could at least unburden their minds to each other, but Mark closed himself off. But...he was the one who decided to leave without pressuring the matter any further, so what was he all emotional for? And even more so, Mark is just a patient, that’s all he is.

 

Jackson was on lunch break, and it was the first time in a long while since Jackson saw Jinyoung cruising in the lunchroom during lunch. He was widely excited when his friend sat in front of him. “Mark let you out early or something?” Jinyoung didn’t really respond he was rather quiet as his eyes played in different directions of the cafeteria. Jackson played his chopsticks down waiting for Jinyoung who eventually sighed with a sad gleam in his eye. “So, I’m guessing something happened?” The younger nodded, not to fond of the idea of talking about how he’s feeling in such an open area, even if it’s just a few patients and staff workers here and there.

 

The two nurses left, Jackson a little unhappy about the fact that he had to leave his delicious lunch on the table to be thrown away later, oh, the things we do for our friends. The sat down on a bench in an empty area closet to the garden. Jinyoung huffed as he bit his lip.

 

“Okay, are you going to spit out what’s going on with you or are you going to continue sulking with glue between your lips?” Jackson crossed his arms and legs as he leaned on the black fence which enclosed the area. “Jacks...” Jinyoung spoke softly. “I think...I think I’ve fallen for Mark.” It was a big shock for both of them. Yes, Jinyoung was highly irritated that Mark was keeping things to himself, but as he thought more about it, there’s no way that Mark could just be a patient to him. There’s no way he could just be a person he’ll watch die a miserable death like the rest. His heart was literally swooned the moment their eyes led on each other, it’s just that he chose to ignore it like everything else since his ex broke his heart. 

 

Jackson proceeded to sit next to the young fella. “You’re in love with Mark?” Jinyoung nodded, dropping his head into his knees. Then the dream of them embracing each other made sense. It all made sense...

 

“Jinyoung...he’s dying, you know that he’s dying...as happy as I am for you, you’ll just end up heartbroken again. It’s one thing to break up with someone like Jaebum...but falling in love with someone you can’t hope to save, that’s the love that will surely break you beyond repair.” Jinyoung shook his head, he felt like he was losing it. “Jackson why did you bring me here? Why?” Jackson sighed looking out, “I wish I had an answer for you that could cure your heart ache, but nothing I’ll say will be good enough to answer your question.” It wasn’t long before Jinyoung began to cry, his mind crumbling from this dizzy tragedy he called love, why couldn’t he be well? Why couldn’t Mark be healthy? Hell, why did it have to be Mark to begin with!?

 

Car doors slammed as a woman and a man in highly expensive clothing walked into the building, it caught both Jackson and Jinyoung off guard. “Jinyoung...” Jackson turned to him, patting his back. “Let’s go inside, okay.” Jinyoung wiped his tears, nodding quietly. He knew Jackson was nosy and that’s the only real reason he asked to go back in, but at least he wasn’t the only on that wanted to see who those people were.

 

“Mrs and Mr. Tuan! Right this way, your son is waiting in the screening room for the results.” They bowed to the head nurse as he led the way. Jackson and Jinyoung came a little too late. “Nurse Kim!” Jackson hollered out as they walked over to her. “Jackson, Jinyoung! Hello.” Jackson smiled pointing towards the elevator the couple got on, “Who are they and why are they here?” Nurse Kim picked up some charts that needed to go to a storage room, “That was the parents of the patient Mark Tuan.” Jinyoung eyes widen, “Why are they here? I thought they just left him to the nurses to heal?” Nurse Kim nodded to Jinyoung’s response, “Well, yeah that’s true, but every once in awhile they come to see the progression of his health, it’s basically the time in which the patient knows how long they’ll live and of course the parents would want to know the status of their child’s health.”

 

Jinyoung bit his lip, racing up the steps to make it to Mark’s bed room. Jackson and Nurse Kim stood surprise at the sudden action, but they didn’t question much either. 

 

Mr. and Mrs. Tuan sat down in the screening room, Mark there fiddling with his fingers like he always did. Tons of doctors and nurses filled the room to give respects to the family. The talk lasted for ages, or at least that’s what Jinyoung said as he waited in the hall. After over three hours of deliberation, Mrs. Tuan rushed out crying, her husband following shortly after with doctors and nurses filing out with grim looks on their faces. 

 

He couldn’t see Mark leave the room, but he surely knew he was back in the place he should have been. Jinyoung made his way through the hall until he stopped at Mark’s door. His personal nurse opened the door with teary eyes. It was a look Jinyoung never thought he would see, ever. For some reason there was no bickering about whether or not he could stay, he just left with the door slightly ajar for Jinyoung to slip through. 

 

What happened. With all the sadness, he could tell that whatever was being said didn’t bold well with anyone. Everyone had to prepare for the worse, but Jinyoung didn’t want to believe in that just yet. 

 

Mark sat quiet. There were no tears, or pint up anger, not even the feeling of despair loomed around his presence, he just seemed empty. Lost in thought to say the least. 

 

Jinyoung made his way inside, closing the door back quietly, and slowly made his way deeper into the room. He didn’t know what to ask or to say, he didn’t even know if the redhead noticed that he was here. He wasn’t sure if it was right to call out his name, or to ask him what happened, so he just stood in place. Until Mark looked up, his eyes cloudy. 

 

“Mark...” Jinyoung walked closer, his heart pounding louder and louder with every step. Mark stood up, his body weak and tired, it felt as if he was going to pass out the moment he stood, but Jinyoung caught him with ease. They stayed close in an embrace so warm, but bitter in the sense of things. At this very moment, tears began to run down those soft cheeks Jinyoung once touched. He knew then, why everyone was in such a state. Death must be close. 

 

Jinyoung wrapped his arms tightly around the other, forcing the other to cry on his shoulder. He bit his lips, why did he notice it all so late. 

 

“Mark...” His voice cracked. He didn’t know what to do. Mark lifted his head to see the other’s face. Despite him being older, he seemed so young against the other. His fingers creasing his cheek ever so gently. Their foreheads touching. Summer was surely coming to an end as the news of Mark’s progression came out. He only had a little less than six months to live, and there were so many things he had yet to do. 

 

“Jinyoung...” His voice was soft and mellow, he inched closer, kissing the other. Their moment didn’t last long. Nothing ever did with them. “Please stay...until I die.” 

 

It was the last thing Mark wanted among the many things he’ll have to leave behind.