Sleepless Days

Dying Love

Jinyoung sat tapping away at the window pane. He was in Mark's room waiting. It was surprising that for the first time in the few weeks he's been coming to an empty room. There was this uneasy feeling, almost as if Mark had disappeared. He couldn't bare to think of the worse.

 

That didn't stop him from snooping around in the spacious area though. He looked at the books. Stacks upon stacks, loads of comics, and even an English and Korean dictionary was thrown in the pile of wordy reads. 

 

He looked around, messing with the piano, it's been years since he's touched one, and hearing Mark play sometimes always whisked him to a whole different world. His playing was beautiful. 

 

He slid his hand across the counters, the kitchen area, shelves, and his bathroom door. He couldn't imagine how tough it was for him. His whole entire life was in here since he was small. Never having a chance to enjoy life the way he wanted, screw the normality, but even the simple adventures were something so distant to the eye. 

 

Jinyoung's eyes caught wind of a photo album. Was this consider trespassing if he decided to read without permission? If it is, he already broke it. He sat down in the chair closest to the bed and began to stare at the photos. The baby ones first, a small smile appearing. Then to the toddler years. He could feel a smirk leave his lips. He was a big kid now, all grown up with his wide smiles and missing teeth. Jinyoung wondered when everything went so terribly wrong for him? Why was he given such an untreatable disease...it wasn't in his character to ever question the sole reason for people's illness, but after spending some time with Mark, he was ever so curious.

 

He brushed over a picture that looked quite old. His hair as red as a burning flame. He wasn't smiling like he did in his childhood, rather he looked quite empty, not necessarily sad, but not happy either, but at the same time he was outside. Was this place that Mark described? His fingers gilded over the faded photo. Jinyoung sighed, he looked up to the ceiling. 

 

"Where are you Mark? What's taking so long?"

 

He fell asleep holding the scrapbook tightly in his grasp. The door had opened, nurses flooding through. Jinyoung jerked awake with drool hanging from his lip, Mark was out of his treatment for the day. 

 

His personal nurse had pushed him inside, and Jinyoung's heart couldn't stop beating. "I thought I said you couldn't be here—what the is hanging off your face, drool?"

 

Jinyoung wasn't listening to a single word, his eyes were on Mark, he was fast asleep, before he could even speak he felt a hard knock on his head. "Brat, I'm speaking too you!" Jinyoung hissed, "W-What? The hell was that for!?" The other handed him a mirror. "Fix yourself before you start talking smack." Jinyoung blushed as he wiped his face, he definitely wanted to argue with this prick, but Mark was his first priority. He left the photo album on the chair as he walked over to Mark's bed. 

 

Most of the nurses that had came through left. "I know what you're going to ask, and he's your answer, he isn't going to wake up for quite awhile so there's no purpose in you waiting here." Jinyoung wanted to open his mouth, but of course the other had to beat him to it, "It was one of the more tougher treatments today...look, I won't kick you out, which is enough to win the oscars because this is me being considerate, but just a word of advice." The other stepped closer, leaning into his personal space, "The best way to let go, is to stop coming, if you don't want to get hurt then don't waste your time." Jinyoung clenched his hands, rolling them into fists. The male nurse made his way out, and Jinyoung sighed taking a deep breath. “What a prick.” He motioned his body to act like he was choking the guy in midair, but felt stupid after awhile. 

 

His hands dropped to his side as he sat next to Mark. He leaned in gently touching the other’s face. A shaking breath left his lips. What was he doing, he didn’t really understand it himself, but seeing Mark like this ached more than the thought of dying, the suffering is too much to bare. His hand dropped from the lightly brushed cheek. 

 

He sat there waiting for the other to wake up, many times he’d laid his head on the lad’s chest to see if his heart was still beating, and at one point he’d fallen asleep to the faint sound of the heart beat. The hours cruising by. 

 

Jinyoung felt a hand run through his hair, the feeling extraordinary pleasing. It made him feel even more comfortable, the softness of the hand that was feeling through his locks, though he woke up when the feeling disappeared. His eyes cloudy as he groaned from the nap. Mark looked at him. “Did you have a good rest?” Jinyoung was blown out of his tiredness, his face covered in red. “I...uh...” Mark giggled. “It’s not everyday you wake up to a man sleeping soundly on your chest...” Jinyoung blushed even more, chuckling shyly. 

 

“I was told your treatment was pretty tough today.” Mark smiled softy.

“It was worse than most days, yes.” Jinyoung frowned. 

“You’re so brave.” Mark was startled by the sudden compliment. 

“Huh?” Jinyoung smiled as he looked up. 

“I mean all this time you’ve spent battling this illness and still have the ability to smile, that’s really cool, I’m the type to lose my over fallen ice cream...” Mark laughed. “I’m serious though...you just, you’re really brave to handle all this.” The red head looked down blushing.

“What’s with all the sweet talk...?” Jinyoung smiled, as he watched Mark play with his blanket in order to distract himself. 

“Because you deserve it.” Mark looked up surprised. Jinyoung held out his hand.

“So, where shall we go next?”

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

Jinyoung laid stretched out on a bench. Jackson came by with a cup of coffee. 

“Seems your happy.” Jinyoung shook his head. 

“Jackson...remember in high school when I use to tell you about my nightmare...”

“The one you take pills for?” He sipped his drink nodding. 

“I haven’t had to need for the pills...and my nightmare doesn’t...well, I hadn’t experienced it in awhile.”

“Could it be because of the wet dream?” Jinyoung smacked Jackson, spilling his coffee.

“Oh come on Jinyoung give me a break here!” The other laughing. 

“Seriously...I’m worried...” Jackson crumpled up his coffee cup.

“Why be worried? Isn’t it a good thing that you don’t have the nightmares anymore.”

Jinyoung sighed, he didn’t know what to think anymore. All he knew was the fact that he wanted to spend as much time as possible with Mark.