A World of Ours

Dying Love

It’s already been a half a month since Jinyoung started working at the hospital. And he swore that he’d never like this job, especially not as a nurse. But these days, his smiles were more apparent than ever. He was whistling early in the morning, carrying a stack of books. During his time here, he’d actually become everyone’s favorite nurse along side Jackson. This place became much more sunny since he came. 

“Good morning Jinyoung!”

“Morning Nurse Kim.” He danced around her laughing. He passed by Jackson who was talking to a bunch of children about ice cream. They all yelled, “Hi Jinyoungie!” He scrunched his nose, “Don’t call me that!” Jackson laughed. 

 

He passed by Chunghee who finally decided to take his medication due to the conversation he had with Jinyoung. “Going to see that lad again Jinyoung?” Jinyoung just smiled as he ran up the flight of stairs he took everyday. Ever since the day on the rooftop, Jinyoung had made it an effort to see him everyday. And today was the first time he could visit him in his room. He was glad, nervous, anxious, and everything in between that he actually spent three hours fixing his hair, and picking out clothes like it was some sort of date. Even though he was going to end up wearing his uniform. 

 

He took an elevator that took him to the very top of the hospital. Of course it stopped at many floors since people were constantly getting on and off. Though one particular individual stayed on for the entire ride. He concurred that they were probably going to the same place. Mark had mention to him that there was a lot of doctors that were monitoring his condition.

 

“Are you Jinyoung?” He was sprung out of his thoughts from the deep voice asking the question. 

“Are you talking to me?” He nodded, his eyes scrutinizing every piece of Jinyoung. 

“Yes I’m Jinyoung, and you?” The other man looked away. 

“I’m Mark’s personal nurse, from the looks of you, you already seem like trouble I don’t want to deal with, so here’s a warning, if you do anything that’ll hurt Mark’s emotional state I will kill you with my own two hands, ripe you to shreds and throw your bones to the hounds.” The elevator door opened up to their floor. Jinyoung watched as the man walked out, he looked back to Jinyoung, “You coming or not?” Jinyoung nodded sighing to himself. Who the pissed this man off so earlier in the morning?

 

“Mark has set treatment times, during that time you are to leave this floor, but afterwards you can enter and go as you please. There is only two rules every nurse is required to follow while handling the son of Yi Enterprise. One; never take Mark out of this hospital, ever. And two; you must keep your boundaries, do not get too attached to him.” Jinyoung nodded not listening to a word he said, the moment they stood in front of his door, his heart started pounding. It was a scary experience, this feeling he really didn’t understand it fully. Truthfully, he’s been with many people, including Jaebum, but his heart never did things like this. The nurse opened his door. Jinyoung walked in a little hesitant at first, but the moment he saw Mark smiled, he couldn’t stop blushing. 

 

He walked closer to him. 

“Good morning, Jinyoung.” His voice was so sweet. It was causing Jinyoung’s brain to scribble to other places, some inappropriate places. He sat down next to his bed. “I...um, I brought these books for you...I hope you like them?” Mark took them from his hand, slightly touching Jinyoung’s fingers. His body melting from the touch. 

 

“So this is where the infamous son lives for most of his days.”

“Pretty much, there’s nothing much I can do here.” He chuckled at the thought, and Jinyoung frowned. 

“Most people would die to stay in a room all day and do nothing...but when it happens...” Jinyoung looked down, not finishing his thought. Mark smiled, “It’s not all that bad, aside from the treatments I think I could live my life like this.” Mark sighed. 

“You shouldn’t lie like that, well at least not to me.” 

 

Mark turned to him, his hair swaying a little with his motion. Jinyoung’s face was serious. Most of the conversations they had were about books, and hospital foods, this was the first time they actually talked about Mark and his illness. Jinyoung smiled and leaned in. “You don’t have to cover up your feelings in front of me.” The tip of Mark’s ears turned pink and he looked away, he had a small smile. Jinyoung thought he was cute, how flushed he got from a single move. 

 

“So, how about this; you never been outside before right?” Mark nodded. “Shall I tell you stories about all the places I went?” Mark’s eyes widen, his face grew into a big smile as he sat up. “You better be a good story teller!” Jinyoung wrinkled his eyebrows, “Trust me, I’m the best that there is!” Mark giggled at his confidence. 

 

Jinyoung began to tell his story of a very small town in America he had visited. 

 

————————————————————

 

Like a dream they were whisked to the place that Jinyoung had been. He was dressed in a fancy suit with a rose tucked in the chest pocket. Mark’s hair was styled in an updo, he looked around the restaurant, the mixture of colors that ranged from purples, to hues of blues, with splashes of black that created this starry night atmosphere. But the coloring wasn’t even the best part, the restaurant was moving, like a Ferris Wheel, the whole city could be seen. 

 

“Wow...you went here when you were little?” Jinyoung nodded, being highly sought out doctors came with its perks. Traveling was one of them, and despite the fact he never had a true family vacations, the places he got to see and visit were as wonderful as the thought of going. 

 

“What would you like to order?” Mark looked down at the menu, there were lots of meats, and a wide range of fish. Jinyoung just smiled seeing him gawk at the menu, it was cute. He finally ordered something, “Fried chicken please!” He sounded like a kid who just got his first toy in the world. Jinyoung was expecting him to choose something more exotic, but he went with something so simple. 

 

“You’re giving me that look?”

“What look?” Jinyoung looked at him innocently as Mark folded his arm. 

“You seem a little disappointed at what I ordered...”

“Of course I am! We’re in America, at a highly expensive restaurant, and here you are ordering fried chicken!” Mark laughed as Jinyoung nose scrunched up. 

“I wouldn’t want highly expensive exotic foods, I like simple basic things. My parents are huge business people, all I eat half of the time is fancy steaks and fish...it gets bland after awhile.” Jinyoung sat there, a little dumbfounded. “Right, you are rich...” Mark just chuckled as the food was place down. Everything looked exquisite. Despite Mark being a high class citizen, he ate like any regular person, and Jinyoung was confused. 

 

——————————————————

“Hold up! You don’t eat with proper dinner manners?” Mark laughed when Jinyoung rudely interrupted the story. 

“Of course not, as you can see I’m not in the best of health to learn everything.” Jinyoung just shook his head. 

“That is absolutely absurd, in like the nicest possible way.” They both laughed. 

“This is how it would be if you ate dinner with me! How can you be angry at that.” Mark pouted. 

“Okay, Okay, fine...you’re like my mother.” Jinyoung chuckled. 

 

——————————————————

 

After dinner was served, and Jinyoung payed the check, even though Mark was going to do it, they left to view the city. It was night and the stars seemed like floating lights in the sky. 

 

“Wow...”

“That must be your only word for excitement.” Mark punched him in the arm playfully. 

“Stop making fun of me!” Jinyoung snickered as they stopped in front of a big willow tree. It was filled with lights and ribbons. 

“This was my parents favorite part of the whole area, when I was kid I never really understood why this place seemed so precious to them, but now that I’m grown up, it’s quite the romantic place.” 

“Hm...seemed like you’d have to take someone you found very important here. It smells like cherries...” Jinyoung just chuckled, gripping onto Mark’s wrist. 

“There’s one last place...” Mark smiled, “Is it a donut shop?” Jinyoung laughed, “No silly, do you have a sweet tooth or something?” Mark scratched his cheek, “Do I? I think so!” They stopped in front of pound, the fish were emitting a bluish light that lit the whole pound up. 

Mark pulled away from Jinyoung getting close to the fish. “Woah...” Jinyoung bent down next to him, “Really pretty right?” Mark nodded. 

“I use to run away from my parents all the time just so I could see these fish. It was the most beautiful thing I ever saw, especially during winter! We have to come back here in winter!” Mark turned to him, his face really close. “Promise?” Jinyoung swore his heart skipped a beat, he wasn’t crazy when he thought that Mark’s face was extremely y and cute at the same time. He quickly stood up, “Promise.”

 

—————————————————

 

“Mark, it’s time for your treatment!” Jinyoung looked down at Mark who seemed unhappy. 

“I can’t stay with you through your treatment...”

“I know...” When Mark looked sad, so did Jinyoung. His attitude was so contiguous, or maybe this was the beginning of Jinyoung falling hard into love. Mark looked up, “Promise you’ll come back and tell me another story? It’s funny going on adventures with you...” Jinyoung smiled, and nodded. “I’ll come by whenever you want me to...”

“Mark! We have to get ready for your treatment!” Jinyoung sighed. 

“Goodbye Mark...” He didn’t respond as he watched him leave. Jinyoung stayed at the door and watched them strap him to the bed. The nurse he was with from the morning blocked his view.

“I think it’s best you leave now.” Jinyoung huffed, leaving the floor like he promised to do. 

 

Jackson brought him some evening coffee as they sat in the empty cafeteria. 

“Well, how was it?” Jinyoung was in daze, the mere thought of going somewhere with Mark was a sweet dream he wanted so badly. Jackson just leaned on his palm, looking at how giddy Jinyoung was. 

“Jackson, could you imagine living a life where even basic things were a luxury?”

“You mean like eating ramen every Tuesday because we’re too broke to afford anything else? Uh, no?” Jinyoung nodded as he drank his coffee. “I couldn’t either, the inability to do things that even some disabled people could do would seem like hell on earth, but he smiles...” Jackson just sat and listened. 

“He smiles, and laughs, he makes jokes like any regular person, despite the fact that he’s in the worse situation. How could someone live like that?” Jackson looked out him. His caring side was beginning to show, and immediately he got wind of the situation. “Jinyoung, do you possibly, y’know like this person?” Jinyoung spitted his coffee out. 

“What?”

“Do you, like, this patient?”

“Why would you? He’s my patient! We don’t like patients! Jackson that’s absurd! I gotta go to sleep, tomorrow’s going to be a long, loooooong day! Psh, me liking my patient! Never!” Jackson sat in his chair shaking his head as Jinyoung left. “This is going to be interesting.”

 

Jinyoung walked to his bedroom, he knew as well as Jackson did. He probably does like Mark, but not more than a patient right? He couldn’t be falling in love with a dying man? No way! Even if that was the case, he couldn’t actually grow an attachment, his past experiences has already made that clear. Jinyoung ruffled his head, “I just need sleep, sleep will help with the situation.” 

 

He said it to switching into his pajamas, but brushed his teeth until he could smell the minty fresh toothpaste rub of his teeth. He also made sure to wash his face clean, and applied some face cream, he had to stay handsome somehow. He fell face flat into his bed, turning to the side with a pouty look, “There’s no way in hell that I like Mark, not more than a friend. Right?” He decided to sleep on it, but dreams tend to tell you something important.

 

——————————————————

 

Jinyoung pressed his lips against his, the raging feelings of lust and sensual prowess was overcoming Jinyoung’s since of logic. His hands roaming the body underneath him, kissing the scars that raided his body. He wanted to feel everything that he could never touch, not in the world that was reality. The Mark here, was someone he wanted in his life. 

 

Their tongues gripped each other, tasting the saliva that connected the two moist lips. He broke the kiss.

“Jinyoung...”

“Don’t speak, let’s just...let’s just stay like this, please?” Mark held his hand tightly as he stared up at the raven-haired man. “We can’t...you know this...” Jinyoung’s eyes closed in sadness, he sat up leaving some space between him and the red-head covered in sheets. 

“It’s not fair...it’s never fair, why you of all people?” Mark sat up, resting his scarred body on Jinyoung’s shoulder. 

“It’s just the way it is...nobody gets to choose how they live their lives, they can only decide which routes they will take. And Jinyoung I choose you.” Jinyoung sighed deeply his body twisting to grip onto Mark’s thin waste. 

“If you had known that I was dying in a couple of years, would you still have...” Mark’s eyes began to tear up. He hated himself for getting emotional, but this relationship wasn’t normal, not one bit. Jinyoung kissed him again. “I still would have.” He wiped his tears away. “There’s no one else I would have wanted to spend the rest of my life with.” Mark buried his head into the crook of his shoulder. “I love no one but you, Mark.”

 

—————————————————

 

Jinyoung woke up with a huge blush on his face. “What?”

 

A/N: 

Markjin!!!! Okay so some might be confused, but when Jinyoung explains a particular moment in his life or place he’s visit, it’s kinda written where Mark was present. So, it’s like his stories are little adventures that connect Mark to the outside world. I wonder if any of you guys could guess Mark’s wish? It’s not so obvious as it seems. 

Now that dream though...Jinyoung is a vivid dreamer I see, but all dreams have meaning, I wonder what his foreshadows? I hoped you enjoyed reading!