Stary Conversations

Dying Love

"He's refusing to take his medication."

"My oh my, we can't treat a patient who doesn't want to be treated."

"But to just let him die like that? That seems worse then doing nothing?"

Jackson walked with a clipboard, Jinyoung still thinking about before. Mark Tuan, who are you? Why are you here? "Hey Jackson..." His friend stopped still holding the clipboard. "What, we got a patient we need check on?" Jinyoung thought for a moment and shook his head, "Nevermind, let's go." 

 

They walked up five flights of steps, turned down a long hall way, and stopped at a room with a number on it, 2362. Jackson slid the door open, seeing doctors and nurses whispering as an old withered man lead on the bed. Jinyoung walked in first, he saw the surgeon from the surgery he helped with. 

 

"Chunghee, if you don't take your medication then we can't help you. You want help don't you? That's why you were admitted to our hospital, right?" The old man waved his hands, "Just got out already! I don't want this damn medication, let me die in ing piece!" The Surgeon sighed, "Alright everyone out." Jinyoung moved out along with the other nurses and doctors. It's not unusual for people to refuse treatment, and Jinyoung wasn't exactly against it either. As brutal as it may sound, it made the job easier when patients just died of their own free will. As he was about to leave, the surgeon caught him. "Jinyoung." He sighed turning around, "Yes sir?" He smiled, "You and..." He stared at Jackson. "You and this guy will stay with the patient, try to convince him to take his medication, or...before he dies, let's figure out how we can transfer him to a better suited hospital." Jackson was a little disappointed that his name wasn't remembered, but he bowed to the surgeon as he left. 

 

"So much for a break." Jackson sighed as he looked over to Jinyoung, "You got first watch." Jinyoung sighed as Jackson walked away with a smirk. "Curse this ..." Jinyoung opened the door to the hospital room. He sat on a stool that was at the far end of the room. "I thought I told all you ing doctors to leave me alone?" Jinyoung folded his arms, "Well, for one, you too, and two you shouldn't curse out the very people trying to help your ." The old man sat up, "What, kid you looking for a fight?" Jinyoung stood up, "Actually yeah, yeah I am. You damn patients act like us doctors and nurses aren't human, just because you have problems doesn't mean you place your bad attitudes on other people. So how about you be quiet and just waste away like you want since you don't want the help." Jinyoung rolled his eyes as he sat back down. The room was quiet. 

 

The old man just sat quiet for hours. Jinyoung was constantly looking at his watch until his shift would be over and Jackson could take his place. "Kid." Jinyoung looked up. 

"What?"

"You, what have you been through that made you all angry?" Jinyoung smirked. 

"Does it matter?" The old man chuckled. 

"You're interesting, you don't sugar coat what you're feeling. Haven't had many healthcare professionals like you." Jinyoung laughed as he leaned his elbow on the counter he was next to. "You going to spill?" Jinyoung took a deep breath, he can not believe he was about to vent to a stranger, but he took the opportunity anyway.

"I was in relationship..."

"Oooooh, haven't heard that word in awhile." Jinyoung rolled his eyes. 

"I was with this person I really loved, that person was my world in my eyes, but I guess I wasn't the same to them." Jinyoung's eyes soften. "We were together for close to five years, and I seriously thought that we would be together forever, but..."

"But?"

"He had someone else, a close friend. Apparently they were with that person for as long as we were together..." Jinyoung's eyes were b with tears, but he wiped his eyes before they could fall. 

"Well, of course I ended things, and I went berserk...ha, then to runaway from my problems, I worked my off, and guess what, I failed at that too. So, I followed my friend to this hospital, and here I am doing I never wanted to do. It just feels as if this world wants me to be cold-hearted...but it was my fault for trusting in things that...that only I cared for."

"Damn kid, sorry. Whoever that person was is a real jerk, if it was me I'd stab them." Jinyoung chuckled. "That's kinda criminal...what about you? Why don't you take your meds?" 

"My meds...it's no use, my time is coming to an end, and it just seems like a waste to prolong a life that's on its last leg. I'm ready to go, I don't want to be here anymore anyways."

"Guess something happened to you too huh?"

"Kid, everyone has their stories, some good, some bad, mines is straight down the middle. And I don't regret my life decisions. I've lived the best I could in the time that I had, now it's time for me to go."

Jinyoung just looked down, the room became quiet again, he'd forgotten all about the time. Jackson smiled from outside of the door. He left without making a sound. 

 

Jinyoung was staring at Mark's file, and apparently during the five hours of watching a patient who just wants to die already, he made a new found friend. And of course, all friends are curious. 

"What you got there?" Jinyoung looked up from the paperwork. "A patient's file..." Chunghee nodded, "Whose the patient?" Jinyoung was a little reluctant to answer, he was friendly but this wasn't information he was suppose to have in the first place, so sharing it to other people was kinda rude? 

"Come on, I'm a dying man, who else can I tell than my grave?" Jinyoung smiled. 

"That's morbid, even for a dying man." Jinyoung chuckled, "Mark Tuan, the patient..."

"You mean Mark Tuan, the son of the Yi Enterprise?" Jinyoung was surprised. 

"You know who he is?"

"Of course I do? Everyone in this hospital know who he is? This hospital was built because of him." Jinyoung's eyes widen. "Wow, why? I mean his parents are rich but, why?"

"You don't know huh? He has a condition, something that affects his nervous system, something is causing his neurons in his brain to cause pain to his body, like a self-destruction button is programmed into every part of his body. So it makes it hard for him to do normal functions. Ha, and I thought my heart disease was the worse in the world!" Jinyoung closed the file, "How do you know that information? I mean it's not on his file?" The old man looked towards him, "Mark has been here for a long time, once in awhile he has enough energy to move around the hospital. And he has conversations with people, as he talks with people and the subject of death comes up he just causally explains it with a smile. He's open about his illness, though for the safety of his parents, there is no record of what he suffers from, not like the docs know what he's suffering from in the first place."

 

Jinyoung got up, "Thank you, for the information I mean." The old man nodded, "No problem..." Jinyoung left the room, he saw Jackson walking up. "How was the shift?" Jinyoung smiled, "He's a good guy. Can you ask the head surgeon about an interjection, I think it's alright to let the patient go." He rushed down the five flights of steps towards the main lobby, it was night already and he was hoping that maybe he'd be up there. 

 

———————————————— 

 

Mark sat on the bench looking up at the view of the stars, he sighed taking a long breath. "If you're listening, can I ask for a single wish...just one, it's not a miracle, I promise...I just, I just want to be a regular person...just once before I die...is that too much?" Mark looked down his eyes seemed hollow, the medicine was doing just as much harm as the therapy and the disease were. He felt like jumping, committing suicide didn't seem like the worst possible idea, but maybe the world had a funny way of granting wishes, or people who could grant those wishes. 

 

Jinyoung slammed the double doors opened, he was huffing as he leaned on his knees. He was sweating, and it surprised Mark that he was here. He remembered him from his first day, he never saw him again after that. He watched as the raven-haired man slowly walked towards him while breathing heavily. They were staring at each other once Jinyoung stopped. Mark smiled showing his white teeth, “I see you didn’t forget about me, it’s nice to see you again Jinyoung.” Jinyoung huffed then started smiling, “I can say the same to you, Mark.” 

 

This was the beginning of the end of a sweet relationship filled with dreams and regrets, some that can be cured with the love of someone else, and other’s that’ll die with the person they came with.

 

A/N: 

So, from here on out, it’s all Markjin!!! Had to build the plot somehow lol, in a terribly way I know, I wish I could say there’s a happy ending, but, no...