foxtrot india victor echo

A Tragic Story : Starring You and Me

“Hey, kiddo, you can open your eyes now.”

“Yeah, you know what? I think I like them better closed.”

“Come on,” said Sehun. “The view’s insane. Look down.”

“I’m pretty sure the correct phrase is don’t look down.”

“Don’t worry,” He laughed. “I’m right here. I won’t let go.”

Even with Sehun trying to comfort me, I couldn’t bring myself to look. Turns out, I was about to learn, the only way back to earth—as in the living, breathing world—is by falling back. From somewhere really, really high.

“Thanks,” I said. “That is so comforting. Um, or not.”

“Don’t you think you’re being a tiny bit dramatic?”

“Don’t you think that jacket is a little last season?”

“Oh, come on, it’s once in an afterlife experience.” He chuckled.

I let out a huge laugh. “Afterlife? Really?”

But still, I couldn’t deny the fact that I’m curious. I took a deep breath as the wind came across my face and my whole body. Finally, I dare to open my eyes. And when I did, I nearly fainted at the sight.

We were standing at the top of the world.

Somehow, in the space of a single breath, Sehun had whisked me up into the clouds, to the very highest point of a bridge, nearly a thousand feet above the sea. The sun was setting over it, and across I saw glimmers of the city peeking through, sparkling like a magical playground.

“Oh. My. God.”

“Yeah, you could say that.”

“This is just, like . . . . incredible.”

He smiled. “I told you” The light caught his face then and, for a split second, his eyes turned gold, set on fire by the city’s sunset.

Okay, fine. I was ready to admit it. Sehun was cute. Not the dorky like cute like Jongin. More like a little bit James Dean, a little bit I-don’t-have-to-try-be-cute.

He took a step closer to the edge and bent his knees like he was about to dive right off. “Dare me?”

“God!” I reached out and grabbed his jacket, pulling him back. “Do not joke about that.”

“Please.” He grinned. “Call me Sehun”

I shook my head and groaned. “Man, I’m starting to think that my dog is more sane than you are.”

“I’m cute like a dog right? Arf! And come on, are you ready yet?”

I ignored him. I didn’t care how cute he was, or how his stupid eyes sparkled in the stupid sunlight. There was no way in heaven or in hell or in whatever this place was, that I was jumping off this bridge.

No freaking WAY

“How the hell did we get up here anyway?” I asked, looking for another way down.

“We zoomed.”

“Zoomed?” I glared at him. “What are we in, like, a Pixar movie?”

“Okay, I think somebody officially watched way too much Disney as a child.”

“You know,” I grumbled. “I really wish you’d explain this whole bridge-jumping thing before you dragged me up here. Because I definitely wouldn’t have come.”

“Well,” Sehun said. “ I wish you had taken a look at chapter six in the D and G. And chapter twelve, ‘Zoom Like You Mean It’ It’s all there in perfect black and white. Maybe somebody should’ve done their homework.”

“Gee, thanks, Dad.” I didn’t appreciate the lecture. Even if, deep down, I was kind of knew he was right. Maybe if I hadn’t ignored that stupid Dumb and Dumber handbook, I would have found a way to get in touch with someone with actual authority. A person who would listen to me and let me explain that there had been a terrible mistake.

I’m not supposed to be here. I wasn’t supposed to die. Not yet. Not this way.

Sehun laughed loudly. “Remember, when I told you there was going to be a test?” He stood up and held out his arms.

“Well, surprise! This is it!” Then he saw the panic in my face.

“Don’t worry. It’s scary the first time. I know, but it gets easier. And soon…” His eyes sparkled. “Soon it starts to get fun.”

“I can’t do this. I can’t. I can’t. I can’t.”

Crede quod habes, et habes.

“What language are you speaking, nerd?”

He smiled. “Latin. ‘Believe that you have it, and you do.'”

His voice was light. Playful. As usual, not helping.

“On ten.”

“Okay, ten. You’re a funny kid, Kang Yewon.”

“Just Yewon.”

“One… Two… Three…”

“Wait, wait, wait, don’t count so fast­—“

“Four”

“No seriously, stop—“

“Five…”

“I said I’m not­—“ My knees started to go weak and my vision turned that horrible shade of green—the green that means you’re going to faint in about two seconds. The sounds of the sea crashing below mixed with a roar that made my stomach turn.

“Hey, you alright?” Sehun leaned down next to me. “You seem a little, um, pale.”

“I’m fine,” I lied, gripping the steel with all my might, desperate to hang on. “Never been better.” I tried to brush the hair out of my face. Not that it helped much, the way the wind was howling up here. We may as well have been on the top of Mount Everest.

“So, what, is this like your perfect version of heaven or something?”

He met my eyes. “It is now.”

I felt myself blush, despite being sick with fear. Didn’t have a clue what to say back, and decided to go with the lamest thing ever.

“So do you, uh…. come up here often?”

Oh my GOD I did not just say that. Who SAYS that?

“I come up here whenever I need to think, or clear my head.” He paused. “Or whenever all the waiting starts to get to me.”

“Waiting?” What are you waiting for?”

He hesitated for a moment, and looked out over the scenery. “A friend. I guess I’m waiting for an old firend.”

The sunlight shifted again, casting a streak of light across his left wrist. For a second, I couldn’t help staring at his scar. I’d never quite noticed just how intense it was, since his jacket tended to cover it. But with the way the light had fallen—and the way his sleeves were pushed up the tiniest bit­—I could finally get a better look. For the first time, I saw how jagged and deep the scar really was. Almost like he’d been slashed with a piece of broken glass.

Whatever he had been through, it couldn’t have been good.

I realized right then, that in all of his knowing about me, I didn’t know a whole lot about him. Where he’d come from. Who he’d been. Even, though it made me uneasy to think about it, how his life had ended.

Sehun caught me staring. Tugged a little at his jacket and pulled the sleeves down as much as he could.

“What happened to you?” As soon as the words were off my tongue, I realized I should’ve kept my questions to myself.

“Bike accident,” he said. “Was driving a little too fast. No big deal.”

Just like Mom always said. Motorcycles are SO DANGEROUS.

I glanced down at my feet. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’m over it. It was a long time ago.”

A gust of wind suddenly came out of nowhere, catching off me off guard. I gasped a little as it threw me, and I scrambled to hold on.

Except there was nothing to hold on to.

“Okay, I’ve officially changed my mind.” I announced. Slowly, carefully, I leaned back on the metal grating, trying to relax and think of good, happy things like my favourite Banana Nut Fudge Ice Cream. Sunday Mornings. Being Alive.

“So yeah, I take it back. I don’t want to do this. Not today. I’d like to go back to Slice, please.”

“I hate to say it,” Sehun shouted over the wind. “but there’s kind of a problem.” He scooted over so he was sitting next to me.

“What do you mean, kind of a problem?” I felt the bridge lurch beneath me.

Breathe, Yewon. Just breathe.

“The thing is, you’re not going to like it very much.”

“Just say it.”

“There’s sort of, only one way down.”

I stared at him for a few seconds and then burst out laughing.

“Oh, right! Has anyone ever told you that you are so funny?”

He wasn’t smiling. “The unfortunate thing is,” he said with a guilty voice, “I’m not joking.”

I stopped laughing. “Wait. Excuse me?”

“Afraid so.”

“No.”

“Don’t fight it.”

“I’ll fight you.”

“Take my hand.” He reached over and tried to grab mine.

“No!”

“Yewon, you have to.”

“Or what?”

“Or you’re going to be chilling up here for a very long time. Anyway, you know you want to show that ex-boyfriend a thing or two. And frankly….” He grinned. “So do I.”

“No, no, no, I totally do. Just not yet,” I pleaded with him. If I’d had a heart, it would’ve been pounding out of control in my chest. “I can’t,” I said. “I don’t mean, like, never. Just not today.” I hoped he could hear the panic in my voice.

“Sehun, please. Just zoom us off of here or whatever. Take me back to Slice.”

“Sorry, cupcake.” He shook his head. “It just doesn’t work that way. You’d already know this if you’d read your D and G. And anyway, I don’t buy your excuses.”

“Oh? Why is that?” I snapped.

Don’t mess with me, Angel Boy, I will destroy you.

“You’re afraid.” He nodded toward the edge. “But it’s time to leave the nest, little bird. It’s time to take a flight.”

Oh my god he’s serious.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be with you the whole way.” He grinned.

“You fall, I fall.”

I took a step away from him. “Do not come near me.”

“Take my hand.”

“Sehun, I mean it.”

His eyes burned into mine. “Take my hand.”

Before I could argue, he snapped into his arms, locking me in.

“No! Stop it!”

“Open your eyes,” he whispered from behind me.

I shook my head and tried to struggle out of his arms.

“Come on. You really shouldn’t miss this.”

I stay still, closing my eyes until he spoke again.

“Toes to the edge.”

“I’ll kill you.”

“A little late for that, Angel.” His lips were against my ear. “Look down.” I tried to struggle, but it didn’t matter. He was way too strong. I cried out and forced myself to look.

Oh, biggest mistake ever.

There was nothing but air. Nothing but the giant deadly, bottomless sea, ready to swallow me up and shatter me into a thousand pieces. Oh god, we were so, so much higher than I thought.

Two inches.

I pushed back against him. “No, no, no, no, NO.”

One inch.

I fought.

Half an inch.

I wanted to wake up. I wanted to wake up right the eff now. What’s the problem with that scenario? This was no nightmare. Waking up was not an option.

I felt my flats slip a little on the metal grating. I felt the wind kiss my cheek.

“Please,” I whimpered, clawing at Sehun’s shirt. “Don’t

“Don’t be afraid,” he whispered.

Then he pushed me.

 


 

“Yewon?”

“Five more minutes. I don’t wanna get up.”

“Funny, that’s what you said five minutes ago.”

“No, but this time I mean it.”

“Nice try, Angel, but that’s not going to work.”

“You’re not my boss.”

“Whatever you say, lil’ lady.”

Then a bucket of freezing cold water hit me in the face. My eyes flew open. “What the—“

“Wakey, wakey, rise and shine.” sang Sehun.

“Oh my god I will kill you!” I jumped out to my feet and tried to grab him, but he was way too quick.

He tsked.”Again with all the killing talk.”

I was breathing heavily, soaking wet. I flopped back on the ground and rubbed my eyes. I shivered. Every single inch of me was covered in goose bumps.

“Here, want my jacket?” said Sehun.

“Do not even talk to me.” I said, still rubbing my eyes.

“You are evil and must be destroyed.” My eyes finally came into focus and I saw that it was just past twilight. The sky was in the shade of lavender­—a combination of black and blue and yellow around the edges like a faded bruise.

Sehun keep on talking about how this neighbourhood is a great one and other s I didn’t care. I wasn’t listening to him and was too busy trying not to throw up.

Jongin’s house. We were sitting across the street from JONGIN’S house.

How? How is it possible?

In all the exploring I’d done with Sehun, I’d never been able to find my way back to this spot. In my slice of heave, there were indistinct changes and shifts that made it different from my own world. Roads didn’t connect exactly like I’d remembered. Street names didn’t match up. There were holes. Pieces missing.

Important pieces.

My house wasn’t where it should have been. The high school was older, more rotten. Even Jongin’s house was missing—like someone had come through my memories and messed with everything that had meant anything to me when I’d been alive.

After a while, I had simply stopped trying to find them. I suppose I’d forgotten what I was looking for. But now, zoom-two-three, here we were, back in the Real Deal Real World. My head ached like I’d just woken up from a killer concussion.

I turned to Sehun. “Where are we? What happened?”

“Oh, you mean that whole headachy thing? It’ll go away, don’t worry.”

“Not that. I mean you and me. Here. Now. Explain.”

“My pleasure.” He took a small bow. “This has been you very first Fall from Grace. I hope you had a pleasant flight and will think of us of your future travel needs. Enjoy your stay here on earth, or wherever your final destination may be.”

“Fall from Grace?” I asked. “There’s nothing GRACEFUL about it.”

Sehun grinned. “We can’t ALL have perfect form.”

I crossed my arms. He was not getting off that easy.

“All right, all right, I apologize,” Sehun said. “It’s true that the first fall is kind of intense. But it gets easier and at least now we can have some real fun. And besides, there are few things I enjoy more than messing with those who deserved to be messed with.”

But he didn’t mean to, I couldn’t help thinking. Maybe he hurt me because he was afraid I’d hurt him first.

Just then, a deep, booming music all mixed together with laughter and shouting and the sound of a good time started up across the street. I watched as bodies moved back and forth through the dimmed windows. Dancing.

Sehun motioned to the music. “So, wanna go to the party?”

I suddenly felt anxious. “But, I. . . but I wasn’t invited.”

“Dude.” He gave me a stern look. “We are GOING to that party. I got dressed up and everything.”

The party I guess is in some sort of costume party.  A little bit of Halloween party wherein you dress up as a ghost or just dress up into someone.

“Um, no you didn’t”

He looked as if I’d wounded him mortally. “I spent weeks on this costume.”

“Oh yeah? So what are you supposed to be? A teenage guy who is in an ‘80s costume and also in ‘80s haircut?”

“I resent that.”

Right then, a few kids—real kids— made their way up the driveway, totally decked out in costumes. Sehun snorted at a boy probably the age of Younghyun who was dressed up as Michael Jackson, or maybe the more paled version of him.

“Hey, vampire.” Sehun joked. “How’s that acid reflux treating you?”

I couldn’t help myself and let out a laugh. The whole situation was just too insane to believe. Here we were, a couple of dead kids, actually about to crash my ex-boyfriend’s party. It was almost too much to take in. I kept my eyes locked on the house across the street.

I’m going to see him. I’m finally going to see him again.

“Whoah there,” said Sehun, giving me a concerned glance. “On second thought, maybe you’ve had enough fun for one night.” He got to his feet and his tone shifted.

“Please tell me you haven’t forgotten why we’re here. This is revenge. Not a second chance. Okay?”

I stared at him but didn’t answer.

“I’m serious.”

“Okay, okay, I get it.”

“Nope.” He shook his head. “I need to hear you say it. Tell me why we’re here.”

“To get back at him,” I muttered.

“I can’t hear you.”

“To get back at him,” I said, a little louder this time.

“I’ll take you right back to Slice—“

“TO GET BACK AT HIM!”

“Fine” He sounded satisfied. “I accept. I will be your date. Even if your costume isn’t very original.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re lucky I’ll even be seen with you after you pushed me off the freaking bridge.”

Pushed is a slight exaggeration.”

I reached over to smack him, but he dodged it. Man, he was quick.

“I take it back,” he said. “I will be your anti-date. But that is all. So don’t get any crazy ideas.”

“Crazy ideas like what?”

“Like, don’t get jealous when all the other girls at the part try to make out with me.”

I scoffed. “Don’t hold your breath, honey.”

He paused. “Whoa. Did you just call me honey?”

“Um, flatter yourself much?”

“Oh my god.” His eyes sparkled. “You really do want to make out with me, don’t you?”

“What?!” I punched him in the arm as hard as I could.

“Keep dreaming, “ I stuck my tongue out at him.

Ha. Take THAT.

Sehun ignored my action and flashed his signature smile. And then I felt the ground shake lightly beneath my feet as his voice echoed through my mind, speaking to me without saying a word.

Never say never, Angel. There’s a first time for everything.

 

 


Here's an update! Hope you guys like it! There might be another update tomorrow or the next day if I'm not lazy. So, that's it. Thank you for supporting my story~ See yaaa!