tango whiskey oscar

A Tragic Story : Starring You and Me

When I climbed out of my wheelchair and read my chart—the one they fill out right after you die—I saw where the doctor had scribbled down my time of death (9:00 p.m), followed by three words I’ll never forget.

Acute congestive cardiomyopathy
or Heart Failure.

I didn’t know it till then, but that doctor was wrong.
My heart didn’t fail. Someone failed my heart.

At first, I was mad at myself. I should’ve been more careful. I should’ve gone to doctor for more regular checkups, or taken medicine, or not pushing myself at its limit during swimming practice. Because the moment I stood up, I realized I was gone. And I should’ve done everything for a second chance. I felt like I had been lied to. They had all promised that I will live a good, healthy, normal life. Mom had promised.

But as I watched the group of doctors and nurses surrounding my X-ray, hung on the wall with a sort of light box on it. I couldn’t help but to feel confuse.

All of them were staring. Whispering. Pointing. Arguing.

“What’s going on?” I said.

Of course, nobody will answer me. So, I moved forward to the light box to get a better view of the X-ray, or myself.
Now, I’ve seen plenty of X-rays before (Mom used to bring them home), none of those other hearts on those other X-rays had ever looked like mine. Something was definitely not right.

And as the picture of my heart stared back at me on cold, unfriendly film, I realized that everyone is wrong.
That acute disorder did not kill me.
My heartbreak had.

In an instant, the whole evening came rushing back, slamming into my memory like a thousand pounds of brick. The force of it sent me backward, and I tried to steady myself by grabbing on to one of the doctor’s arms. But my hand went right through him and I fell onto the floor. Not that he noticed.

Suddenly, I remembered the last thing Jongin had said from across the table. The last words I ever heard as a living girl. The four worst words in the history of the English language.

I don’t love you.

That was right before everything turned weird, sickly shade of green. Before the whole room went black. Before that terrible ripping, throbbing, searing pain shot through my chest like nothing I’d ever felt or could have ever imagined.

I put my hand over my chest and listened. Waited. But there was no beat. There was no familiar, thump-thump, thump-thump. There was nothing.

“A heart doesn’t just spontaneously break apart,” I heard one of the doctors say.

Um, wanna bet?

I would’ve sat them all down and explained it, if there had been time.

Maybe if they had been in my shoes that night and heard what I heard, or felt what I felt, maybe then they would’ve understood how such a death could be possible. Maybe then they could’ve put their scientific facts and flashy medical school degrees aside for one minute and tried thinking with their hearts for once, instead of their heads.


 

They buried me after 3 days of memorial. You know that sick feeling you get when Saturday and Sunday—those blissful, perfect, magical two days of freedom—are just about to end? And you realized you haven’t started your homework yet? This was just like that, only about fifty thousand times worse.

The ceremony started, with the priest blessing my casket, to wherever my soul will be brought to. There’s also another short speech close relatives, my mom, my dad, my brother and my friends gave before I totally left this place.

I took one last look. Mom, Dad, and Younghyun. Three ducks all in a row. Three ducks where there should have been four.

I looked down.

This is really happening.

I looked down to where my body is, in the hole just the size of me.

Oh god,

I really, really, really didn’t want to go in there.

But I went in.

I was falling. Falling through time and space and stars and sky and everything in between. I fell for days and weeks and felt like lifetimes across lifetimes. I fell until I forgot I was falling.  Then, somewhere buried deep in my chest, I felt a dull, throbbing ache. A strange sort of emptiness. An ache where, Once Upon a Time, my heat had been.

I opened my eyes 

and everything was dark. Everything is flying by me at a million miles an hour. I was seated at the backseat of a sort of school bus and I think was the only passenger left. Or maybe I’m the only passenger…

“Last stop, five minutes.” I can hear the voice coming out of the speaker inside the bus.

I stood up from my seat, not minding that I were in a moving vehicle and walked in front towards the bus driver.

“Excuse me, where are we going?”

“Jungwon-do to Jirisan Park.”

Jirisan Park? That was like twenty minutes away from home. I glanced through the chilly glass and tried to make sense of the scenery, but it was too dark outside and we were moving fast. I wiped away some of the fog on the window, but it didn’t help.

“How did I get here?”

He laughed. “You’re asking me?”

“Wait a second,” I glanced outside the window and a found a familiar place.

“Sir, can you please take me to my house? It’s just near this area. “

He kept driving. And didn’t answer

“Sir,” I tried again but still no answer. I tried to walk closer to him and convinced but then there’s an announcement again in the intercom.

“Last stop, two minutes.”

I sighed and slumped back to the seat in front.

 I’ll just get off the last stop.

We rode along in silence, the nighttime flying by, until I felt the bus shift and groan into lower gear. We were slowing down. Tires crunched as we rolled into a gravel-filled parking lot, a red neon light glowing just ahead of us. Finally, the bus came to a slow, grinding stop.

I rubbed another clean spot on the foggy window and tried to read the strangely familiar neon sign.

Wait. What?

The old man’s voice broke through, snapping me back.

“That’s it everyone off. “ asking everyone to get off even though I’m the only passenger.

“Where am I?”

“The last stop.” Starting the engine once again, getting ready to drive out.

“Sir, “

His smoky eyes burned into mine as I took a deep, nervous breath.

“What’s the last stop?”

He nodded toward the opened door.

“Welcome to forever. “

 

 


Hey, there! It's an update! Sorry for the boring and quite short chapter. Kai and Sehun's appearance would be in the next few chapters, kindly wait for it ;) 
My updates might be late because of my exams, T.T But still continue to support this story of mine! Thank you! <3