|一|

Walking Into Smoke
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Yumi, mind going to the store to grab some groceries for me?"

"Okay, just gimme a second," the said girl ran over to the bathroom and got ready to head out. Popping in her dark brown, human shaped contacts, fixing up her hair a bit before going over to the kitchen, grabbing the shopping list and heading out.

There was a routine Yumi went through every time she stepped outside of her home. Put on her contacts, make sure nothing made it too obvious that she was something other than human, all that jazz. It was all to make sure that she wouldn't become the centre of attention because she wasn't human. Well, not completely at least. Ever since she was little, she knew that she wasn't normal. The pupils of her eyes were naturally slitted rather than the circular shape of a human, her irises were a mixture of pale jade and emerald - and they would glow in the dark so it would be difficult to miss such a distinct sight.

Her other non-human features would only come out when she is highly agitated or feeling threatened. That was easier to hide as long as she stayed calm and aware of her emotions. But it didn't help that she didn't know what her other half was because she had yet to meet anyone like herself in the city which she lived in.

To say that Yumi was cautious wherever she went would only be somewhat correct since she did like to venture out every now and then, to the outskirts of the city where the forest would begin. A part of her felt at peace with nature and she didn't really know why.

There were so many things which she didn't understand and felt like she should have understood by now at the age of twenty. Another feature she kept hidden was her hair colour. It was a bit hard to keep maintaining it, but she had to if she wanted to keep away from prying eyes. Most of the time, her hair was dyed to a brunette colour as to match her contacts, to make herself look more human. But her natural hair colour? Silver. Grey. Ash. Whatever you wanted to call it. It was far from normal for a human to have naturally silver hair. The only time the dye failed would be when she was put into a position where she felt threatened or agitated and for those few moments or minutes, the dye would become non-existent and her natural hair colour would shine through.

She made it to the supermarket soon enough and for some reason, she felt like there was an unusual presence nearby. But she didn't dwell on the feeling too much, simply greeting one of her very close friends, Sehun. He was working there part-time and it was nice to see him so close by all the time. She grabbed a trolley, pushing it along as she reviewed the list of groceries which she needed to buy. As she walking through the aisles though, she noticed an unfamiliar scent - sure, they lived in a city where there were plenty of people and all sorts of creatures roamed about, but this sent was distinctly different since it seemed to be from a completely different part of the country.

Deciding to ignore the scent, Yumi continued to find what she needed, but as she passed by one particular aisle filled with tools and equipment for cleaning and maintenance, she found the source of the scent. Yumi looked over at the stranger, noticing how he seemed to be a hybrid as well, but she couldn't tell what exactly. She hadn't realised that she was so deep into her own thoughts and judgements about this stranger that she had been staring for a bit too long. She widened her eyes a bit when she snapped out of her thoughts, only to be met with the stranger's gaze on her. Immediately averting her eyes and continuing along to the next aisle down, Yumi did her best to just ignore what had happened.

She didn't know why, but the intensity of the other's gaze was so very alluring yet intimidating at the same time. She quickly turned her gaze away and blinked a few times to wake herself up from whatever trance she had just been in. She took out the list of things she still had to get and was about to continue on her way when she felt a presence approaching her.

Yumi whipped her head up to see the same stranger now right beside her, "Uh y-yes?" she stammered.

The young man furrowed his brows a bit before pointing into her trolley, "Could you tell me where you got that? I've been looking for it but I'm not familiar with this place," he asked.

She glanced down into her trolley and noticed that the other was pointing to the special cream that she used to cool her body down when she had sudden spikes of a fever. It was a weird method, but it worked for her. "Oh, sure. Follow me," she said and turned around with her trolley, heaving back from the way she had come and entering one of the aisles. Once she reached the area where she found the product, she turned to the other and pointed it out for him, "It's right here," she said, though she stopped and felt intimidated once more when she noticed the way that the other was staring at her.

"You're a hybrid too, aren't you?" he asked.

Yumi felt herself pale a bit before she pulled her hood over her head and turned away, heading back down the way she was going to finish the rest of her shopping. She hated when others pointed out the fact that she wasn't human. She scolded herself for not being careful enough and she made the quickest round for groceries before she went up to the checkout where Sehun was and unloaded her trolley so he could scan the items.

"Yumi, chill. I can literally smell your frustration," Sehun said calmly as he continued scanning the items and placing them into the bags. "Is it that new guy?" he asked.

Yumi nodded as she paid for the groceries and managed to get all the b

Please log in to read the full chapter